PDA

View Full Version : That song in your head...

durl
05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm curious to know if this happens to others...

Every morning, I wake up with a song stuck in my head. There's really no pattern to it and the song is typically gone by the time I begin my commute. They tend to be older songs (70s, 80's) and it may be a song I like or one that I despise. I even went through a couple of weeks where I woke up to Wiggles songs in my head (2 young kids that LOVE the Wiggles will do that to you). One morning: Olivia Newton-John or Barry Manilow. The next, Def Leppard or Doobie Brothers.

So am I odd or do others experience the same thing?

KittyDuran
05-06-2008, 04:44 PM
That happens to me almost everyday - and since a lot of commercials use some oldies - those will stick in my head. Though for me the majority are songs I despise. :p:

OesterPoster
05-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Happens to me almost everyday too. Most of the time it's a commercial jingle, SpongeBob song, or something I caught on American Idol or Dancing with the Stars.

FREE Credit Report seems to be the worst "offender" currently.

goreds2
05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm curious to know if this happens to others...

Every morning, I wake up with a song stuck in my head.
So am I odd or do others experience the same thing?

Please, no one say they hear the JTM song in the morning. :pray:

MrCinatit
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I think the only thing worse than having a song that will not leave your head is having a song you do not know go through your head.
Who remembers All I Need by Air (sung by Beth Hirsch)?
That song haunted me for literally a decade - I only knew it by a vibrant unforgiving hypnotic instrumental at the end.
Same thing happened with Sweet Child In Time by Deep Purple, which was featured in Twister. I probably tore my record collection apart trying to find that one.

Johnny Footstool
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
1...2...3...4...Tell me that you love me more...

Dom Heffner
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I often get the "Free Credit Report Dot Com" song stuck in my head.

You're welcome. ;)

*BaseClogger*
05-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Christmas carols in May, anybody?

GoReds33
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Girls, girls, girls...

OSUmed2010
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
For the past 3 days, I've had "What's new, *****cat?" in my head constantly. It's okay though, cause it makes a great greeting. About 25% of people will respond "whoa-a-whoa-a-whoa-oh."

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
I often get the "Free Credit Report Dot Com" song stuck in my head.

You're welcome. ;)

Could have seen it coming at me like an atom bomb..

cincyinco
05-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't know if anyone else gets this but I often get game show tunes in my head. Like wheel of fortune in particular. Don't know why.

Also the new subway 5 dollar footlong commercials.

5... 5 dollar... 5 dollar footlong!

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I usually get old pop songs in my head, I mean really old...Mamas and the Papas old.

Yachtzee
05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
"I just want back in your head" - Tegan and Sarah.

redsfan1966
05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Arrrgh....yes, I too suffer from the 5 dollar footlong Subway and Free Credit Report.com song disease....make it stop....

TeamSelig
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
AHHHH not the free credit report song

cincinnati chili
05-07-2008, 12:19 AM
5... 5 dollar... 5 dollar footlong!

That's what I was going to post. It's a brilliant jingle, because it's monotonous, unhip, anachronistic, and completely stands out among all the noise of other tv commercials.

I'd be very curious to see if Subway's promotion is working. If so, this probably has something to do with it.

KittyDuran
05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I usually get old pop songs in my head, I mean really old...Mamas and the Papas old.Hey! That's not OLD! ;)

marcshoe
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, "Mr. Tamborine Man" always sticks in my head when I hear it, and after watching American Idol I keep singing it, since I can surely do better (not saying much)....

durl
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I went a couple of years with one song that would pop up into my head throughout the day: Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce. Why? I have NO idea.

I don't necessarily hate the song (and I've never really liked it, either) but it was the most irritating thing to have constantly popping up.

But one I've never had stuck in my head is, "...instead of lookin' fly and rollin' phat, my legs are stickin' to the vinyl and my posse's gettin' laughed at." (You're welcome.)

OldRightHander
05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I bought fuel in Winslow, Arizona yesterday. Guess which one popped in? It didn't stay there long though.

05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
The theme song from the TV show T he Odd Couple runs through my brain alot. I mean often, too. No idea why. Neither the show or the tune carries any significance to my life. But it lurks there in my mind.

redsfanmia
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
The theme from Differnt Strokes pops into my head alot.

Dom Heffner
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Free credit report dot com....

It won't stop. I had it in my head when I was sleeping last night.

wally post
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Many times it turns out that the song or lyrics are a pun towards something I'm either doing or thinking aobut - it's like a constant soundtrack to my life going on (inside).

I call these songs "viruses".

The Flintstone theme song (flintstones, meet the flintstones.. there a ...) seems to be a decent anecdote to most viruses.

OldRightHander
05-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Many times it turns out that the song or lyrics are a pun towards something I'm either doing or thinking aobut - it's like a constant soundtrack to my life going on (inside).

I call these songs "viruses".

The Flintstone theme song (flintstones, meet the flintstones.. there a ...) seems to be a decent anecdote to most viruses.

That happens to me a lot. Something will remind me of a song, like Take It Easy popping in there just because I was fueling up in Winslow. I'm not what I would call a big Eagles fan, but those things just happen, especially with older songs that I'm more familiar with than the newer pop.

I heard a big band arrangement of the Flintstones theme recently and it was really quite good. That's not a bad piece of music if done right.

wally post
05-07-2008, 12:46 PM
It's odd, but it DOES seem to stop the Debbie Gibson, "You Light Up My Life" pain. :D

durl
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
It's odd, but it DOES seem to stop the Debbie Gibson, "You Light Up My Life" pain. :D

"Boone," actually.

"You...light up my life. You give me hope...to carry on..." C'mon! Everybody sing along.

Or would you prefer, "Feelings...nothing more than feelings..."

marcshoe
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
durl, your signature would fit fine as part of your post.

Thankfully that's not one that gets stuck in my head much.

Larkin411
05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
I tend to get the theme song from "The New Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh" in my head in the morning.

This happens to me at least once a week and has done for a solid decade. The song begins with lyric "gotta get up..." so anytime my inner monologue hits on that phrase or something similar it triggers the song.

I blame my parents for letting me watch TV.

elfmanvt07
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
With Free Credit Report, it's not even the whole song, it's just one of the refrains. It's horrible.

Equally Horrible: If I Could Turn Back Time (Cher)

gilpdawg
05-07-2008, 06:26 PM
I always get "Horse With No Name" caught in my head, which is weird, because I'm usually a hardcore metal head.

redsfan1966
05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
The Reds are on the raaaadio......that gets stuck at times...and the jingle for Alarm Force.....where they sing 1-800-267-2001.....Alarrrrrrm Force! I listen to too much radio..

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
"But they're toooogether again...."

Raisor
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
One Week by BNL has been stuck in my head for two years now.

I don't want it in there anymore.

Help.

paintmered
05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
One Week by BNL has been stuck in my head for two years now.

I don't want it in there anymore.

Help.

You eat a drumstick and your brain starts ticking.

Raisor
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
You eat a drumstick and your brain starts ticking.

well, now I have to listen to it.

grrrrrr

marcshoe
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" gets stuck in my head once a month. Has for as long as I can remember (we had a copy of the single when I was growing up).

Hmmm...Dylan and Donovan. That likely means something.

But then I have to absolutely stop listening to Sinatra occasionally because his songs (particularly the ones he recorded at Capitol) stay audible in my head for days. This happens to the point that it bothers me mentally.