PDA

View Full Version : Unwatchable.

smith288
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Sorry folks, but this is like watching WNBA. I actually turned it off and now watching the DVRd American Idol...

Matt700wlw
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
It's like a bad car wreck, you know you shouldn't, but you do anyway

WMR
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
It's just so incredibly boring.

I find myself tuning out more and more often.

This team just isn't worth watching right now.

VR
05-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I was upset for awhile that the Dish wasn't carrying MLB. I'm over it.

flyer85
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I watched the NBA. The team has turned into a bunch of hackers ... at least the bases haven't been getting clogged

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Could be and has been worse, this is what logic told us this year would be, pain and growth spurts here and there.

Falls City Beer
05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
GAC's chartering a bandwagon; destination: Cleveland. What y'all waiting for?

jojo
05-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Ya, well those bums are 14-17.... :cool:

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM

The smell from Cleveland to die down.

sonny
05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I think it's because someone here hasn't been wearing his lucky shirt.

C'mon fess up, who is it?

RedsFan75
05-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Naw I'm aiming for Philly.

Go Flyers!

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 11:31 PM

It shrank in the wash :(

WMR
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
It shrank in the wash :(

That's what she said.

Screwball
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Marty.

smith288
05-06-2008, 11:35 PM

This team needs more than a lucky shirt.... Needs a lucky wardrobe.

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
That's what she said.
http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Lame.gif

WMR
05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
This team needs more than a lucky shirt.... Needs a lucky wardrobe.

Maybe a lucky blowu..... nevermind

smith288
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Lame.gif
yea, that was kinda weak. Even our quips are unwatchable... *sigh*

KronoRed
05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
yea, that was kinda weak. Even our quips are unwatchable... *sigh*

Card fans pity us.

WMR
05-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Card fans pity us.

Someone get Krono a Sierra Mist, stat. :p:

Red in Chicago
05-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I drove 300 miles to watch this? I'm sick of losing.

smith288
05-07-2008, 12:24 AM
I drove 300 miles to watch this? I'm sick of losing.
Insanity is defined by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I turned the game off to go watch the Cavs... and the Cavs played about as bad as the Reds.

Good night for sports :)

Hooligan
05-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Reds can't hit and I had to hear the Cubs fans cheer in GABP.

Matt700wlw
05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I thought this team wasn't going to lose anymore?

Will M
05-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I sat down after dinner and said ' I would like to have a nice evening '. So I watched a DVD ( The Orphanage - a horror flick ) instead of the Reds. Good move on my part. :D

fearofpopvol1
05-07-2008, 01:42 AM
More than anything, it's just a slap in the face to the fans that are paying the outrageous salaries. The team looks like a flatliner. No energy, no fundamentals and a real lack of passion.

I've gotta think that Jocketty is thinking long and hard about this will be making some kind of move soon. Regardless if his timeline for winning isn't this year, this still must be embarrassing for him.

WVRedsFan
05-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I thought this team wasn't going to lose anymore?

Well, that was a statement of philosophy not necessarily what was going to happen immediately. firing a GM doesn't bring immediate results because the former guy has set the team up. This is what we're dealing with now.

I've commented on this board a lot about the poor construction of this roster and this team by Wayne Krivsky and his staff. We are seeing the fruits of his labor. First base worked out OK, but the backup is a guy at 38 who needed to be moved for anything. Phillips is OK at second. At short, due to the elongated absense of Alex Gonzales is Jeff Keppinger who shows what extended play does to him. He's dropping fast in production. A good backup, but not a starter. Edwin Encarnacion continues to be a good batpoor glove option at third. The corner outfielders are victims of poor lineup construction based on the lack of a center fielder. Freel is not the answer as a backukp player ala Keppinger. Pitchers don't have to pitch to Dunn or Griffey because there are so many outs in the lineup. Our catching is world-class horrible.

The past administration didn't adequately get a right-handed first baseman or seek talent for short. We put all our dollars on David Ross at catcher (which was insanity) and refused to allow Jay Bruce to at least try out center at the major league level. We put all our resources into finidng pitching including a closer who rarely gets in a game to save. The rsult is probably a 68-70 win club for the third year out of four. i could go on about the bench, but at this point, who cares?

This is your Cincinnati Reds on May 7, 2008. Fully constructed and put on the field by the former GM. The only hope is that WJ gets in gear soon and makes some changes to the mess others have created.

Oh, I forgot. It was so bad when the past administration took over that it will take time to correct. Looks like the corrections have made things worse.

That's progress.

reds44
05-07-2008, 01:45 AM
This thread needs 3rd person.

KronoRed
05-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Krono is on board with such a plan.

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Caveat Emperor thinks this is still better than a midweek series featuring pitching probables of Ortiz, Milton and Claussen.

Strikes Out Looking
05-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I keep self-censoring what I really want to write. This team is a train wreck that I believe was completely avoidable. However, the combination of personalities in management and veteran OF's just isn't working. 0 or 1 runs a game, night after night, is a problem that needs to be addressed by all concerned. However, I don't think it's in their personalities to do that. So, they look up at Pittsburgh.

Cyclone792
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Cyclone doesn't understand why so many are upset with the Reds offense.

Come on, people, Reds hitters have the second fewest strikeouts in the NL right now! This is what so many Reds fans have been craving, an offense that doesn't strike out!

This is your dream offense, people!!!

Who cares about the Cubs and Diamondbacks leading the league in runs scored as they pile up the strikeouts, the Reds don't strike out and THAT is what matters!

Hooray for less strikeouts!

:jump:

vaticanplum
05-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Cyclone doesn't understand why so many are upset with the Reds offense.

Come on, people, Reds hitters have the second fewest strikeouts in the NL right now! This is what so many Reds fans have been craving, an offense that doesn't strike out!

This is your dream offense, people!!!

Who cares about the Cubs and Diamondbacks leading the league in runs scored as they pile up the strikeouts, the Reds don't strike out and THAT is what matters!

Hooray for less strikeouts!

:jump:

vaticanplum applauds cyclone's morning sarcasm.

She is however appalled that a vendor behind the ballpark has been selling a mix of Reds and Cubs merchandise for the last three days, and wonders whether this is even legal.

Edskin
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Watched the Cavs game and DVR'd the Reds game. VERY frustrated with the Cavs, so I questioned whether or not to even watch the Reds-- I should have passed. What a disgusting game that was. Zambrano wasn't even pitching particularly well and still almost got the CG shutout. Looked like they didn't even want to be out there.

George Anderson
05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Well one way to look at it is there are approximately 335 days till Opening Day 2009!!!

westofyou
05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Unreadable, that's what has become of redszone.

Edskin
05-07-2008, 09:52 AM

Bound to happen. This ins't MLBZone, where folks could just focus on the overall positives of watching baseball. It's REDSzone, and fans are just frustrated beyond the point of really having anything constructive to say.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think folks see much to "analyze" or "dissect." They see a 13-21 team hacking away and looking clueless. I agree that the level of discussion has deteriorated, but I think it's pretty much mirrored the play of the team. I don't find it surprising.

dabvu2498
05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Caveat Emperor thinks this is still better than a midweek series featuring pitching probables of Ortiz, Milton and Claussen.

Dabvu2498 thinks the results are similar, however.

Unassisted
05-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I didn't even make the effort to watch last night, so I appreciate the affirmation from this thread that I made the right choice.

Always Red
05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Always Red thinks that yeah, last night was tough to watch, my daughter flipped on American Idol in the middle of it and I didn't even complain.

But if the Reds win today, they will have won the series.

Small baby steps, one step at a time.

Yachtzee
05-07-2008, 10:34 AM

Yachtzee thinks that, on the bright side, the Reds might actually have 1 pitcher in his prime who is actually worth sending out there and 2/5 of the rotation on the uphill side of their careers with a ways to go before they reach the top. Good sign for the future, if not the present. Optimism in the face of present adversity is justified.

Falls City Beer
05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Optimism in the face of present adversity is justified.

So is nudity.

REDREAD
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Yep.. it's proof that adding two very good young pitchers to the rotation doesn't instantly turn the team around. The entire team is important. Even Wayne didn't realize taht.

flyer85
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
from an offensive standpoint everyone is below their norms with the exceptions of EE and Bako. Since their offense was going to be marginal in the first place it has been too much to overcome. However, even if Dunn and Jr were raking there still would be an issue with people at the top of the order who just don't get on base enough.

Falls City Beer
05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
from an offensive standpoint everyone is below their norms with the exceptions of EE and Bako. Since their offense was going to be marginal in the first place it has been too much to overcome. However, even if Dunn and Jr were raking there still would be an issue with people at the top of the order who just don't get on base enough.

Junior's been at either 2 or 3 in the order all season. If he were raking the Reds would be in much better shape. My biggest bugbear is Phillips in the 3 or 4 slot. That's nuts; he's a 6 or 7 slot hitter. He's Pokey Reese with slightly more pop.

WVRedsFan
05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Junior's been at either 2 or 3 in the order all season. If he were raking the Reds would be in much better shape. My biggest bugbear is Phillips in the 3 or 4 slot. That's nuts; he's a 6 or 7 slot hitter. He's Pokey Reese with slightly more pop.

I agree. He needs to bat lower, but really it doesn't seem to matter. No one is hitting. Even Keppinger, "who just hits" isn't. If Griffey was slamming the ball, if we had a leadoff hitter who didn't hack, if we had a cather who could hit, if, if, if.

Kc61
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Reds need a leadoff hitter. A three hitter. And a clean up hitter.

The outfield and catcher are the most likely open positions.

Jay Bruce will be one of the three, probably the three hitter.

The clean up hitter should be right handed.

Reds1
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Sorry folks, but this is like watching WNBA. I actually turned it off and now watching the DVRd American Idol...

I had free tickets to the game and I didn't go! If Griffey was one away I would have tried.

Chip R
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
She is however appalled that a vendor behind the ballpark has been selling a mix of Reds and Cubs merchandise for the last three days, and wonders whether this is even legal.

Chip R has seen vendors do this for all teams who come here. If the Braves are in town they will sell stuff for both teams.

corkedbat
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Sad thing is, once these guys dig a deep enough hole, they'll start playing watchable baseball - when it's too late.

WebScorpion
05-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Scorp is happy he watched The Golden Compass last night instead...those armored polar bears were much more fun to watch! :thumbup:

membengal
05-07-2008, 12:18 PM
membengal was riveted by the primary coverage last night and was thus able to spare himself the pain of watching the reds try to get "on base" and score the elusive rumored thing called "runs".

WVRedsFan
05-07-2008, 12:20 PM
WVRedsFan watched and attributes it to a life-long addiction. It's almost like the car wreck on the side of the road. You know it's going to be bad, but you must look, regardless of how much traffic you clog up behind you.

LincolnparkRed
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
LincolnparkRed is thinking about letting his 2 year old son become a cubs fan, since we are here in their backyard. It may be more enjoyable for the near future.

RedsManRick
05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
LincolnparkRed is thinking about letting his 2 year old son become a cubs fan, since we are here in their backyard. It may be more enjoyable for the near future.

Don't let your son grow up to be a "Chad". Just ain't worth it, LP!

smith288
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM

I suppose you expected to read top notch evaluation of the game? A game where we once again witnessed the hitters swing away at first or second pitches giving Zambrano an almost off day. Wasting yet another great performance by Harang?

He will have had a better workout when he does his off day routine.

flyer85
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
A game where we once again witnessed the hitters swing away at first or second pitches giving Zambrano an almost off day.

I heard a lot coming from Dusty about "being aggressive early" but nothing about "working the count". Seems like the team has taken it to heart and we are seeing the result.

Edskin
05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
WVRedsFan watched and attributes it to a life-long addiction. It's almost like the car wreck on the side of the road. You know it's going to be bad, but you must look, regardless of how much traffic you clog up behind you.

Oh, most definitely. I whine and moan day after day and tell everyone I can how "unwatchable" we are-- but where do I find myself day after day? I'm way past "help" in this area.

I used to liken it to Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football. I run up each time and the Reds pull the ball away--- but I run up again the next day. Only thing now, is that instead of just pulling the ball away, Lucy is following it up with repeated kicks to the groin. It really hurts.

RedsFan75
05-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Edskin describes RedsFan75 to a T in that last post!

smith288
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Alot of the stuff the Reds are doing, I was taught in HIGH SCHOOL not to do. If a pitcher is having an easy day, work the count...its better in the long run to protect the plate with 2 strikes on you than go down early posing no challenge.

Im not saying go with the DanO method of ALWAYS watching the first one go by but cmon, can we PLEASE have some middle ground?

Matt700wlw
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Paramount Pictures present...

"The Unwatchables" - a baseball story.

cumberlandreds
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Today's game seems watchable. Six homers so far!!!

Matt700wlw
05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Today's game is unwatchable in the Cincinnati market

cumberlandreds
05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Today's game is unwatchable in the Cincinnati market

Maybe that's the key to success. No games on FSN. ;)

kaldaniels
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
By the way in this weeks edition of SI's Hot/Not...they have the Reds (Not of course) as last place in the NL West. :thumbdown

RedsFan75
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Back to the old days of being in the NL West!!