PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelch added to Reds broadcast team

Always Red
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
From Lance's blog:

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

Class AAA Louisville Bats veteran announcer Jim Kelch will join Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman or Jeff Brantley on 14 Reds on Radio broadcasts this season...Kelch is in his 20th season as the play-by-play voice of the Louisville club...he previously worked Major League games as a fill-in for the Reds and St. Louis Cardinals broadcast teams...the Peoria, Illinois native began his broadcast career with the Class A Peoria Chiefs in 1984...he joined the Bats in 1989 after a 2-year stint as broadcaster for the Class AA Chattanooga Lookouts...Kelch also is the radio voice of the University of Louisville's women's basketball team...for the Reds, he is scheduled to work 5/12-5/15, 5/30, 6/1, 7/18-7/19, 9/2-9/4 and 9/18-9/20.

What's up with this?

Just filling in for vacations, etc?

Matt, anything you can share with us?

flyer85
05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone is on the way out because there are already 5 members on the current broadcast team(Marty, Thom, Chris, Jeff, George).

Caveat Emperor
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM
doesn't make a lot of sense unless someone is on the way out because there are already 5 members on the current broadcast team(Marty, Thom, Chris, Jeff, George).

My understanding is that Chris and George can only appear on TV -- they aren't contracted for Radio work. Marty doesn't appear on TV -- he's only contracted for Radio work.

Thom and Jeff are the only "floating" (TV/Radio) members of the broadcast team.

redsmetz
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM

I wonder if this isn't a precursor to Marty starting to go off into the sunset?

flyer85
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
My understanding is that Chris and George can only appear on TV -- they aren't contracted for Radio work. Marty doesn't appear on TV -- he's only contracted for Radio work.

Thom and Jeff are the only "floating" (TV/Radio) members of the broadcast team.5 guys to cover 4 nightly slots seems like more than enough.

Danny Serafini
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
He's likely filling in the gaps that Joe Nuxhall used to cover the past several years.

marcshoe
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I thought maybe after the JTM commercials Chris had been "discovered" and was on his way to Hollywood.

flyer85
05-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm kinda hoping a certain Cowboy can find his back to Ole Miss.

Reds Fanatic
05-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the main reason they want another member is to fill in with Thom being off for Fox games on the weekends and for the Big Ten network later in the year.

cumberlandreds
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Thom and Jeff are the only "floating" (TV/Radio) members of the broadcast team.

I heard Welsh doing radio earlier in the year. Maybe that was just a special deal?

Danny Serafini
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I heard Welsh doing radio earlier in the year. Maybe that was just a special deal?

I remember that. They said during the game that it was the first time Marty and Chris had done a game together. Jeff had to take off on some sort of emergency, and Thom was out of town with Fox I believe.

Chip R
05-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Marty's taking some games off as well - like today.

Matt700wlw
05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
From Lance's blog:

http://www.thelotd.com/lance/blog

What's up with this?

Just filling in for vacations, etc?

Matt, anything you can share with us?

He's doing a handful of games, as Nuxhall did last season....Thom and Jeff probably have some TV dates together, and Marty will take a few games off. Thom will also have to miss some weekends because of Fox TV and Big 10 football, and Jeff may be scheduled to do FSN at the same time. Thom and Jeff may have off days as well throughout the season, I'm not sure what their contracts say.

Jim's only doing 14 games I think.

Nobody's leaving, as much as I'm sure a few of you wish they would :)

membengal
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
More importantly, L'ville fans, how is he behind the mic?

REDREAD
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder if this isn't a precursor to Marty starting to go off into the sunset?

Sadly, I doubt it.

More than likely, this guy will fill in for what Joe used to do.
Thom has a lot of other commitments, so he will fill in when one of the other four guys can't make it and Thom is not there. It's only 14 games..

George Anderson
05-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I think it was in the early 80's that the Reds brought in a third broadcaster to work with Marty and Joe and If I recall correctly his name was Dick Carlson. All hell broke loose amongst Reds fans.

cumberlandreds
05-07-2008, 02:41 PM
I think it was in the early 80's that the Reds brought in a third broadcaster to work with Marty and Joe and If I recall correctly his name was Dick Carlson. All hell broke loose amongst Reds fans.

I kinda remember that. That was all Dick Wagner's doing. He must have been trying to force Marty or Joe or both of them out. I don't remember the details though.

George Anderson
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I kinda remember that. That was all Dick Wagner's doing. He must have been trying to force Marty or Joe or both of them out. I don't remember the details though.

I called in to Marty a few years back and asked him about it. He did say it was Wagners idea and neither he or Joe liked it. I just remember listening to Bob Trumpy's show and hear callers gripe nonstop about the three man booth .

Heath
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Dick Carlson was here to do the first "cable" Reds game. Well, that's Dick Wagner's story and he's sticking to it.

KronoRed
05-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Marty's taking some games off as well - like today.

The more days off the better, of course I haven't heard Kelch yet so he might not be any better.

Ron Madden
05-08-2008, 02:40 AM
The more days off the better, of course I haven't heard Kelch yet so he might not be any better.

Kelch is not as good as the Marty of yesteryear but in my humble opinion he is better than the Marty of today.

alexad
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
What I find amazing is that the announcers have to have a day off. They have the best jobs in the world. I would never take a day off unless is was something family releated or I was just plain sick.

I did radio for 10 plus years in Athens, Ohio. WATH Radio, same station Thom worked at for while he attended Ohio U. Anyway the only time I ever missed a broadcast was the death of my father in law. I even broadcasted having severe strep throat.

I would not feel right not being there everyday to broadcast and cover the games. I think this is a problem, because you miss the action and would have trouble related to the fans what is going on all the time.

marcshoe
05-08-2008, 12:19 PM

I was living in Texas at the time and remember reading a story in one of the Dallas papers that said that Wagner didn't like Marty criticizing the Reds and was trying to force him out. I never heard Carlson broadcast a game, though.

Sea Ray
05-08-2008, 12:27 PM
He's doing a handful of games, as Nuxhall did last season....Thom and Jeff probably have some TV dates together, and Marty will take a few games off. Thom will also have to miss some weekends because of Fox TV and Big 10 football, and Jeff may be scheduled to do FSN at the same time. Thom and Jeff may have off days as well throughout the season, I'm not sure what their contracts say.

Jim's only doing 14 games I think.

Nobody's leaving, as much as I'm sure a few of you wish they would :)

It's amazing to me that with 5 guys there isn't enough already for each of them to take a few days off. The more pertinent question is why hire Kelch now? They've known for some time that Joe isn't coming back. 5 guys should be plenty to rotate everyone in and out and give them the days off they need.

Chip R
05-08-2008, 12:40 PM
It's amazing to me that with 5 guys there isn't enough already for each of them to take a few days off. The more pertinent question is why hire Kelch now? They've known for some time that Joe isn't coming back. 5 guys should be plenty to rotate everyone in and out and give them the days off they need.

I think they've been looking all off season. I'm sure they expected Joe to come back and do a handful of games this year. When he passed they had to find someone else. It's kind of surprising it took this long but they obviously need more time to select a fill in broadcaster than they need to find a manager. ;)

Marc D
05-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I have to mute most games about the 3rd inning so all in all no biggie to me personally.

Unless that is they say he's here to replace Grande....:pray:

MartyFan
05-16-2008, 03:25 PM
After listening to what he brought to the table, I envy the Bats. He was interesting to listen to, talked about the game and other stuff to but kept me informed about the game.

IMAGINE THAT!?!?!?!

membengal
05-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Echo that.

I tought Kelch was great in what I heard from him, and, he and Marty had a real nice exchange one inning when he was on the mic and Marty just watching. It was nice to hear Marty drawn out into an analyst type role again.

I would absolutely not mind them using Kelch for a lot more games. Very professional.

Matt700wlw
05-16-2008, 03:44 PM

George and Chris aren't under contract to do radio.

George and Marty in the same booth would be interesting to say the least...:)

gm
05-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I remember that. They said during the game that it was the first time Marty and Chris had done a game together.

On the radio, maybe. But Marty and the Creeper used to do the "middle" innings on TV together back in the late '90s. I remember Chris putting Marty into a headlock and giving him "noogies" during the final season broadcast (ca 1998) It was very entertaining listening to them go off on heated discussions re: this and that. (So much better than Chris agreeing with everything George says...)

Yachtzee
05-16-2008, 11:57 PM
After listening to what he brought to the table, I envy the Bats. He was interesting to listen to, talked about the game and other stuff to but kept me informed about the game.

IMAGINE THAT!?!?!?!

I heard him for a little bit. I might have to make an appointment to listen to the Reds on the radio when he's doing a game again. I'd like to hear more.

I've heard Marty is no fan of the three man booth, but why not bring a play-by-play man in to come do the innings Marty takes off rather than forcing Brantley into a role he doesn't do well?

George Anderson
05-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Kelch must be pretty darn good because I have heard little to no criticism about him on this site. It seems every single Reds broadcaster gets flamed pretty hard by this site, so Kelch (so far) must be a good one!!!

Sea Ray
05-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Kelch must be pretty darn good because I have heard little to no criticism about him on this site. It seems every single Reds broadcaster gets flamed pretty hard by this site, so Kelch (so far) must be a good one!!!

I must say "I'm impressed" with him

top6
05-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Allow me to add to the chorus of praise for Kelch. He is by far my favorite of the 5 announcers right now.

I liked his call of Janish's game winning hit. It was exciting, well done, and then he deferred to Marty to say "this one belongs to the Reds."

MartyFan
05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I think what Kelch did in the booth was to get Marty to sound closer to the Marty of yesteryear...honestly, I enjoyed every inning I heard of he and Marty calling the game.

Chances are he isn't that much younger than Marty so, I wouldn't think he is a replacement type for Marty but man, what a talent.

Kelch deserves to be "THE MAN" in a booth somewhere.

sonny
05-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I would love to see Welch nudge The Cowboy out of the booth. I just can't enjoy his play by play.

RBA
05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Dick Carlson was here to do the first "cable" Reds game. Well, that's Dick Wagner's story and he's sticking to it.

Wasn't Mr Carlson working as General Manager at WKRP at the time?

Unassisted
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I've heard Marty is no fan of the three man booth, but why not bring a play-by-play man in to come do the innings Marty takes off rather than forcing Brantley into a role he doesn't do well?
Maybe it doesn't have to be a 3-man booth? If Marty must take those innings off from PBP, maybe he could cool his heels outside the booth while another PBP announcer sits in his chair to do the PBP? :D

I like Kelch's work, too. As I said in a recent game thread, his work has all of the attributes I liked about Steve Stewart's work, plus he doesn't have the awkward deferentialness to Marty that Steve brought to the booth. Marty treats Kelch like a peer, rather than an apprentice, and I think that makes Marty better.

membengal
05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I think what Kelch did in the booth was to get Marty to sound closer to the Marty of yesteryear...honestly, I enjoyed every inning I heard of he and Marty calling the game.

Chances are he isn't that much younger than Marty so, I wouldn't think he is a replacement type for Marty but man, what a talent.

Kelch deserves to be "THE MAN" in a booth somewhere.

I could not possibly agree more. That sums up my observation perfectly.

Ron Madden
05-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Had the pleasure of listening to Jim Kelch again tonight.

Actual Play By Play described over the radio? Brilliant!!!

BCubb2003
05-31-2008, 04:56 AM
I think he's pretty good too. He has a good voice, good pacing, he's well-prepared and he's here to call the game, not to present the Martyness of it all. Marty was like that once, and I suppose that if Kelch had been calling Reds games for the last 30 years, he'd be more like Marty is now.

My only complaint was during that base-running adventure by Escobar, Kelch kept saying "He put the tag on him," but I wanted to know, is he out or safe? But that was a crazy play to figure out. I can only imagine how Brantley or Nuxhall might have tried to call it.

Marty and Joe
05-31-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm very impressed. We heard Kelch for the first time last night while riding in the car and I actually stayed in the car for a couple of minutes after we got where we were going trying to find out who this guy was. (Had I been to RedsZone I would have known.. :D ...)

He was excellent. Does anyone have the schedule of the 14 games? Depending upon the schedule, I might be inclined to have the game on the TV those nights with the TV turned down and the radio turned up.

Blitz Dorsey
05-31-2008, 09:18 AM
For the people who are saying "Get rid of Cowboy -- I can't stand him on PBP on radio." ... How about keep Cowboy, but only let him do color. That is what he is good at. In fact, he's very good at it.

Also count me in the camp that likes the little bit I've heard of Jim Kelch. I watched most of yesterday's game on TV, but I caught an inning+ when I was in my car running errands. Just like last time, which was a Monday night a few weeks ago, I thought Kelch was solid.

So my thought is, let's start grooming him to replace Grande. Jeff Brantley needs to stay on as a TV color man (and maybe radio color man). Brantley never should do PBP. He is awful in that role. But Brantley is by far the best color analyst the Reds have and I bet he's one of the best in the business. He says "intestinal fortitude" way too much, but Brantley is very good as a color man. (I think I am going to get sued for referring to him so much as "Jeff" and "Brantley" and not "Cowboy." Seriously, George Grande, you can call him Jeff every once in a while. At least once out of 100 times.)

bucksfan2
05-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Keep Kelch where he is. I really like the idea of bringing him up for 10-15 games every year. I think he has a great play by play voice and does a good job of doing the games. What I like most about him is his insight about the reds AAA team. Thom does a similar thing with Arizona and describing minor league players and development but I could give a rats you know what about Arizona. Kelch on the other hand can give a description and analization of the reds prospects. I would wager that 90-95% of the reds fan base does not see the AAA club play at all. During a 3 hour broadcast Kelch can talk about Matt Maloney or what he has seen of Thompson. As a reds fan that is his greatest asset for me.

BCubb2003
05-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Keep Kelch where he is.

So you're saying we shouldn't rush him?

alexad
05-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Keep Kelch where he is. I really like the idea of bringing him up for 10-15 games every year. I think he has a great play by play voice and does a good job of doing the games. What I like most about him is his insight about the reds AAA team. Thom does a similar thing with Arizona and describing minor league players and development but I could give a rats you know what about Arizona. Kelch on the other hand can give a description and analization of the reds prospects. I would wager that 90-95% of the reds fan base does not see the AAA club play at all. During a 3 hour broadcast Kelch can talk about Matt Maloney or what he has seen of Thompson. As a reds fan that is his greatest asset for me.

Jeff Brantley is not PBP man. He is however a good color person. I like to hear him talk about stuff, but he can not describe what is going on. I actually like Thom and Jeff on TV. Jeff is better than Chris Welch. I really like Marty and Kelch in the radio booth. It is actually nice to hear what is going on with the game and not all the blah blah of a former know it all pitcher about how a player is thinking or I would have thrown a fastball. Radio is used to tell it like it is...Marty does a great job of this and so does Kelch. I am a firm believer that you do not need to have a former player in the radio booth. Jeff does not tell you what is going on. He does not know how to do it. Play by play is not just something you can step into the booth and do.

I enjoyed listening to Kelch. It was neat to hear him call Bruce "Jay" just like you hear Marty call Griffey "Jr". It tells you, the announcer knows the player well enough to call him by the their first name and know the listeners are aware of who you are talking about.

Reds Fanatic
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm very impressed. We heard Kelch for the first time last night while riding in the car and I actually stayed in the car for a couple of minutes after we got where we were going trying to find out who this guy was. (Had I been to RedsZone I would have known.. :D ...)

He was excellent. Does anyone have the schedule of the 14 games? Depending upon the schedule, I might be inclined to have the game on the TV those nights with the TV turned down and the radio turned up.

These are the games he is working: 5/12-5/15, 5/30, 6/1, 7/18-7/19, 9/2-9/4 and 9/18-9/20.

Chip R
05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm guessing Marty likes Brantley too much on the radio to have him just do TV.

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 12:17 AM
I heard him for the first time last night (Fri) and was pleasantly surprised. He was great!

Ron Madden
06-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Listen to Jim Kelch and form your own opinion. He will be in the booth with Marty again Sunday 6/1/08.

I really like Jim Kelch.

:thumbup:

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Depending upon the schedule, I might be inclined to have the game on the TV those nights with the TV turned down and the radio turned up.

Don't forget the 10 second delay... you'll know what happens before you see it on TV so you shouldn't miss any really good/close plays.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 12:21 AM
I wish there was a way to have it so it was Thom and Brantley on TV and Kelch and Marty in the booth for all the games, or at least the majority.

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Don't forget the 10 second delay... you'll know what happens before you see it on TV so you shouldn't miss any really good/close plays.

Of course, with TIVO/DVR, you can always pause the TV feed and watch on the appropriate level of delay.

:thumbup:

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Marty and the Creeper used to do the "middle" innings on TV together back in the late '90s. I remember Chris putting Marty into a headlock and giving him "noogies" during the final season broadcast (ca 1998) It was very entertaining listening to them go off on heated discussions re: this and that. (So much better than Chris agreeing with everything George says...)

I remember Chris doing the radio game with Marty but I don't EVER remember Marty doing any TV. Are you sure about this?

membengal
06-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I echo what I said earlier in this thread, Kelch is a really nice change of pace in the booth. It's weird, but the Reds are t h i s close to having the booth figured out. Brantley is excellent with analysis, horrible on PBP. So let Brantley do the color for radio and TV (rotate with Welch on TV). Thom B, Marty B, and Kelch as PBP on radio and Thom B and Grande (apparently just because) on TV. That would be a really nice rotation and would be excellent for Reds fans.

sonny
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I remember Chris doing the radio game with Marty but I don't EVER remember Marty doing any TV. Are you sure about this?
I remember it well. When a game came on it was guaranteed Father-Son time with my old man.

My first impressions of Marty that he looked alot like Ric Flair.:D

KronoRed
06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I heard him for the first time last night (Fri) and was pleasantly surprised. He was great!

Agreed, made listening on the radio quite enjoyable.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm guessing Marty likes Brantley too much on the radio to have him just do TV.

...or the contract he signed has him doing both

membengal
06-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Interesting listening to Kelch with Marty on the post-game talking about Maloney and Bailey.

Matt...get your bosses to get Kelch to be a part of the team IMMEDIATELY. He's really good.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 04:17 PM
It's the Reds call...not ours. There were 14 games that needed filled, so he's doing them.

He'll be back after the ASB.

mbgrayson
06-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Interesting listening to Kelch with Marty on the post-game talking about Maloney and Bailey.

Matt...get your bosses to get Kelch to be a part of the team IMMEDIATELY. He's really good.

Do you mean Matt700WLW or Matt Maloney? lol

membengal
06-01-2008, 05:58 PM
700wlw matt, altho he's refusing to do my bidding. C'mon matt, you know you really run the reds. make this happen.

KronoRed
06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Lets just swap announcers with the Bats every other week from now on :D

Better yet...lets get the whole organization involved down to single A, one week the Reds guys, the next the Bats and so on down to the Dragons..it'll be GREAT ;)

George Anderson
06-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I like Kelch, he reminds me of Curt Gowdy for some reason.

VR
06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
I like Kelch, he reminds me of Curt Gowdy for some reason.

Good call. Very straight forward, no signs of narcissism when he and Marty are on....it actually has Marty focussing on professional broadcasting. Marty and Jeff just have become to 'good 'ol boy' in the booth together.

Caveat Emperor
06-02-2008, 12:50 AM
You know what else I like about this? It gives the guy a tape.

If Kelch has dreams of becoming a play-by-play broadcaster in the major leagues, he now has a leg up over tons of other would-be competitors because his tape has actual MLB games on it. In the grand scheme of things, his resume will be 99% what he's done on the air in Louisville (and other full-time jobs) -- but it might be a little thing like having actual MLB experience that separates him from other people applying for gigs in the big show.

Kudos to the Reds for taking care of someone in their own "organization."

TeamBoone
06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
I remember it well. When a game came on it was guaranteed Father-Son time with my old man.

My first impressions of Marty that he looked alot like Ric Flair.:D

I'm not saying he never did TV. The person I quoted was talking about him doing TV in the late 1990's. I don't remember that.

WVRedsFan
06-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm not saying he never did TV. The person I quoted was talking about him doing TV in the late 1990's. I don't remember that.

That was during the great blackout period for West Virginia when the Reds ignored us and we had no coverage. Shortly thereafter, SC cincinnati (later to become FSOhio) got the rights and we were blacked out. But still, I saw some of those games via a guy in town who had one of those big dishes. It wasn't the best, but it was the Reds with a familiar voice and I wore out my welcome at his house. He finally told me there was something wrong with is receiver and I got the hint. Thank God for DirecTV and Suddenlink.