PDA

View Full Version : Volquez

RedsManRick
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
On the way to another great start today. Through 4: 2 H, 4 BB, 4 SO, 0 ER.

Just had a comparison come to mind -- Carlos Zambrano. Big K totals, big walk totals, and keeps the ball in the yard fairly well. Both rely on a lot of movement at a good velocity. Now, Zambrano uses a slider and Volquez his change, but they still strike me as similar. If they're in the zone, look out.

Volquez is a few years behind where Zambrano was, so I don't think it's fair to say he's got Big Z's ceiling long term. That said, I really like what Volquez brings to the table. I'm glad to see Hamilton doing well, but I think this one is going to go down as one of the better trades of the decade for the Reds.

Benihana
05-07-2008, 02:55 PM
On the way to another great start today. Through 4: 2 H, 4 BB, 4 SO, 0 ER.

Just had a comparison come to mind -- Carlos Zambrano. Big K totals, big walk totals, and keeps the ball in the yard fairly well. Both rely on a lot of movement at a good velocity. Now, Zambrano uses a slider and Volquez his change, but they still strike me as similar. If they're in the zone, look out.

Volquez is a few years behind where Zambrano was, so I don't think it's fair to say he's got Big Z's ceiling long term. That said, I really like what Volquez brings to the table. I'm glad to see Hamilton doing well, but I think this one is going to go down as one of the better trades of the decade for the Reds.

C'mon man, I've been pimping the Volquez/Zambrano comparison since the first week of the season! Welcome aboard, there's plenty of more room here!

RedsManRick
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
C'mon man, I've been pimping the Volquez/Zambrano comparison since the first week of the season! Welcome aboard, there's plenty of more room here!

Oops. I guess I need to spend more time on the boards. I'm slipping... Credit where it's due. :beerme:

Topcat
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Its nice when a trade benefits both teams. But Pitching is far harder to come by. Stud pitching is virtually impossible to acquire!

cumberlandreds
05-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Add two more K's to start the 5th.