PDA

View Full Version : Strikeout KKKKings

Benihana
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
The Reds now have three pitchers in the Top 10 in Strikeouts for all of baseball, including #1 (Volquez) and #2 (Harang) on the list. Just sayin'

BuckeyeRedleg
05-07-2008, 04:18 PM
If they could get Arroyo back to 2006 form and the offense just to be average, they could win a few this year, even with the slow start.

Knock on wood for everyone to stay healthy and for Homer to continue progressing in AAA.

RedsManRick
05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Sometimes the best way to address a poor defense is to get pitchers who don't need a good one.

kaldaniels
05-07-2008, 04:29 PM
If not for Kentucky's own Brandon Webb (7 wins)...Volquez (Reds have been shut out in 2 of his starts) would be leading all triple crown categories.

lollipopcurve
05-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Krivsky had no idea how to build a staff, I guess.

RedEye
05-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I wonder whether we might see the opposite effect this year as in years past. Perhaps the starting pitching will lead the Reds back into contention during the dog days of summer (instead of collapsing and throwing them back to the wolves after a fast start).

A guy can hope.

Highlifeman21
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM

The offense is what suffered most during the Krivsky Era.

But then again, Arroyo and Volquez were the only two additions to the staff acquired by Krivsky. The rest were already here.

dougdirt
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
The offense is what suffered most during the Krivsky Era.

But then again, Arroyo and Volquez were the only two additions to the staff acquired by Krivsky. The rest were already here.

He kept Harang and Cueto here though.... and that plays into the equation.

Highlifeman21
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
He kept Harang and Cueto here though.... and that plays into the equation.

I'm not sure how keeping guys factors into the equation. He knew what he had in Harang, and going under the assumption that Oakland wanted Cueto in a deal for Haren, that told Krivsky what he potentially had in Cueto.

PuffyPig
05-07-2008, 04:42 PM
He knew what he had in Harang, and going under the assumption that Oakland wanted Cueto in a deal for Haren, that told Krivsky what he potentially had in Cueto.

I think Krivsky knew what he had in Cueto.

Reds1
05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure how keeping guys factors into the equation. He knew what he had in Harang, and going under the assumption that Oakland wanted Cueto in a deal for Haren, that told Krivsky what he potentially had in Cueto.

He did still get him signed to a reds favorable 4 yr deal though. Now Arroyo hasn't quit worked out, but just saying. Nice game today. So glad we kept Votto. There were so many rumors. Josh Hamilton who???? ;)

Highlifeman21
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I think Krivsky knew what he had in Cueto.

I think you're right.

If Krivsky didn't remotely know what he had in Cueto, Cueto might play for the A's right now.

If Krivsky was on the fence about Cueto, the A's asking for Cueto in a deal for Haren most likely made up his mind.

Regardless, IIRC Cueto was here before Krivsky, like 2 years before Krivsky.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I thought I accidentally wandered into a Klan meeting for a second.

The pitching has been a lovely surprise though. If only they had a matching offense. Volquez, or as I like to call him- Voltron, is amazing out there right now. I don't like the walks, but when you can K a batter per inning to make up for it, it's not horrible.

oregonred
05-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I wonder whether we might see the opposite effect this year as in years past. Perhaps the starting pitching will lead the Reds back into contention during the dog days of summer (instead of collapsing and throwing them back to the wolves after a fast start).

A guy can hope.

You got it man. That's what having studs does for you late in the year. When you've got guns at #1-#3 you can climb out of a lot of pre-AS game funks. Remember how the A's/Braves seemed to pull away every year when they had their version of the Big Three. I think we'll see a nice run sometime this season with too many flaws on offense and Cueto/Volquez first full year preventing any real contention, but 2009-2012 looks very promising for the favorable dog days pattern to take hold.

reds44
05-07-2008, 04:57 PM
It's easier to fix offense than it is pitching. With the free money we have in the offeason, the Reds could be contenders snext year, IMO.

Rojo
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Leading the lead in K's should translate into fewer runs allowed at some point. Or at least I think it would.

Red's DER, however, is dead last again this year.

Team Clark
05-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Yeah... they should fire that guy... HEY, wait a minute!!!

CTA513
05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Speaking of strikeout kings, Ryan Howard picked up his 50th strikeout last night.

VR
05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Leading the lead in K's should translate into fewer runs allowed at some point. Or at least I think it would.

Red's DER, however, is dead last again this year.

Good point, but that is clearly a reflection of a few bombed starts and 2-3 games that the bullpen semi-imploded. Other than that, the majority of Reds pitching performances have been quite good.....including an incredible amount of extraordinary quality performances that we are just not used to seeing as Reds fans.

I'm still very confident the Reds can get back in the race...IF the offense can consistently put up runs.....not 0-1-9-2-1-12-2 kinds of weeks.

Rojo
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Good point, but that is clearly a reflection of a few bombed starts and 2-3 games that the bullpen semi-imploded. Other than that, the majority of Reds pitching performances have been quite good.....including an incredible amount of extraordinary quality performances that we are just not used to seeing as Reds fans.

I'm still very confident the Reds can get back in the race...IF the offense can consistently put up runs.....not 0-1-9-2-1-12-2 kinds of weeks.

As I noted elsewhere the Reds are dead last in OBP against right-handers. You gotta think this is going to change as well. So, I guessing, we're going to score more and prevent more.

CaiGuy
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
The Reds are first in MLB with 272 K's.

They are 25th with a 4.52 ERA, though.

They are 21st with 146 runs scored...