PDA

View Full Version : Going to New York/Boston....Advice?

redsfan30
05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
I know there's been threads started on subjects similar to this, but I'm making the trip to the Bronx next month to see the Reds at the Stadium and from there I'm heading up to Boston to take in a couple games at Fenway.

For those who have been to Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park, please share things to look for, especially safety and transportation-wise. In New York, I believe we are staying in New Jersey over by the Meadowlands and in Boston I think we're staying at a hotel right across the street from Fenway. I plan on parking and taking subways/cabs.

Any help/advice will be greatly appriciated!

*BaseClogger*
05-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Last time I was in New York we stayed near the Newark Airport in New Jersey. We would park at the Newark Penn Station (not the NY Penn Station) and ride their underground train (don't think it's called a subway?) over to New York. It came out under the World Trade Center site. From their you could walk around Manhattan to get on another subway. Hope that helps! :)

EDIT--I think it's called the PATH train. Play around this site:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Rojo
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Stay away from the Chuds.

Virginia Beach Reds
05-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey, I'm also going to Boston and just got tickets for the Thursday afternoon game vs. the Royals. I'm also interested in any input on things to do before the game.

Thanks.

Spitball
05-07-2008, 09:05 PM
In Boston, be sure to ride the "T" if you go anywhere. Be sure to hit The Boston Beerworks. I wish I could join ya'. :beerme:

edabbs44
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I know there's been threads started on subjects similar to this, but I'm making the trip to the Bronx next month to see the Reds at the Stadium and from there I'm heading up to Boston to take in a couple games at Fenway.

For those who have been to Yankee Stadium/Fenway Park, please share things to look for, especially safety and transportation-wise. In New York, I believe we are staying in New Jersey over by the Meadowlands and in Boston I think we're staying at a hotel right across the street from Fenway. I plan on parking and taking subways/cabs.

Any help/advice will be greatly appriciated!

PM me if you have any specific questions.

edabbs44
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Last time I was in New York we stayed near the Newark Airport in New Jersey. We would park at the Newark Penn Station (not the NY Penn Station) and ride their underground train (don't think it's called a subway?) over to New York. It came out under the World Trade Center site. From their you could walk around Manhattan to get on another subway. Hope that helps! :)

EDIT--I think it's called the PATH train. Play around this site:
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

PATH is correct. Port Authority Trans Hudson, or something like that.

cincinnati chili
05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
If you go to Boston, beat on M2's door at 3 in the morning, and ask if he wants to play some strat.

wally post
05-08-2008, 10:55 AM
...and stay away from speeding out of control cars driven by women who love Jeter. :D

M2
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Somewhere on this site we've got an out-of-towner's guide for different MLB cities. I know Boston's in there and I think NYC is too. Anyone know where to find that link?

wally post
05-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I could've been more helpful too. the subway to either of the ball parks in NYC are safe IMO. They are also much faster than driving. parking alone is a huge nightmare. So get into the city and take the subway from there. You can buy a day pass - lets you ride all day for something like 8 bucks ...

gonelong
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Somewhere on this site we've got an out-of-towner's guide for different MLB cities. I know Boston's in there and I think NYC is too. Anyone know where to find that link?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47406&highlight=mlb+city

I started that thread with high hopes ... then life caught me from behind and rubbed my nose into the dirt for awhile.

Boston Red Sox (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1028409&postcount=6) Fenway Park dabvu2498
Boston Red Sox (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1223878&postcount=43) Fenway Park M2
New York Yankees (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1030867&postcount=9) Yankee Stadium In Progress

GL

redsfan30
05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Man, I wish I would have done a bit more research before buying tickets last night...it appears when you sit in the bleachers you are limited to the bleachers and bleachers only....no access at all to the rest of the park.

:(

Spitball
05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Man, I wish I would have done a bit more research before buying tickets last night...it appears when you sit in the bleachers you are limited to the bleachers and bleachers only....no access at all to the rest of the park.

:(

The bleachers were only a dollar for a long time. They went up to $1.25 in 1978 after the Sox signed Bill Campbell. I'm sure the rise in price and the signing of Campbell were not related, but since Campbell got off to a slow start, most wanted to believe they were. Personally, I prefer not to sit in the bleachers at Fenway, but usually there is little else available.

Chip R
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
The bleachers were only a dollar for a long time. They went up to $1.25 in 1978 after the Sox signed Bill Campbell. I'm sure the rise in price and the signing of Campbell were not related, but since Campbell got off to a slow start, most wanted to believe they were. Personally, I prefer not to sit in the bleachers at Fenway, but usually there is little else available.

I sat out there last year and liked it. We walked around the park through the game and watched from different places but the bleachers were just fine.

blumj
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I feel like I should be able to contribute more to hep with Boston, but, if you're already staying near the park, taking the T around instead of driving is pretty much it. You're going to be in a much better position to go to a game at Fenway than I've ever been in, while living about 20 miles or so away.

Caseyfan21
05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm planning on hitting both of these parks as well. My friends and I are doing a road trip with:

Philadelphia - Saturday
New York (Yanks and Mets) (Sunday Yankees game vs. Reds)
Boston - Tuesday
Cooperstown - Wednesday
Toronto - Thursday vs. Reds
Detroit - Friday
Cleveland - Saturday vs. Reds

Having been to Boston the T is the best thing going for getting around. While we haven't gotten a place to stay yet I'd imagine we will either stay with a friend at MIT or stay outside of town and ride the T in. It stops right near Fenway as I remember.

Not sure where we are staying in NYC as my friend is out of town the weekend we will be in town.

dabvu2498
05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Bleacher seats in Fenway are fine, and you're not restricted to just the bleachers, though I believe you were in the past.

redsfan30
05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Well, just bought different tickets to the Friday game in New York that way we'll still be able to get around and take the whole stadium in.

redsfan30
05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm planning on hitting both of these parks as well. My friends and I are doing a road trip with:

Philadelphia - Saturday
Boston - Tuesday
Cooperstown - Wednesday
Detroit - Friday

Having been to Boston the T is the best thing going for getting around. While we haven't gotten a place to stay yet I'd imagine we will either stay with a friend at MIT or stay outside of town and ride the T in. It stops right near Fenway as I remember.

Not sure where we are staying in NYC as my friend is out of town the weekend we will be in town.

That's a monster trip and sounds like a blast!

Chip R
05-08-2008, 02:16 PM

Philadelphia - Saturday
Boston - Tuesday
Cooperstown - Wednesday
Detroit - Friday

That's almost what I did last year, except backwards. And believe people when they tell you that driving in Boston is hell.

Caseyfan21
05-08-2008, 02:20 PM
That's almost what I did last year, except backwards. And believe people when they tell you that driving in Boston is hell.

Yeah, I'm just trying to find somewhere to stay out at the ends of the T lines to hopefully avoid as much of that as possible. Since we will only be in Boston for the day we can take the T in, check out the city a little (other 2 guys haven't been there), and then make our way over to the ballpark. I'll probably be doing the majority of the driving and I will probably want to shoot myself after the NYC to Boston that morning so there will be no crusing around Boston. Last time I was in Boston we stayed way out of town down the T line and didn't experience too much traffic (just getting in and out) and we took the T everywhere.

George Anderson
05-08-2008, 02:21 PM
You ought to invest in a GPS system or borrow one from somebody. Having something like that would make the trip alot easier.

Chip R
05-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I'm just trying to find somewhere to stay out at the ends of the T lines to hopefully avoid as much of that as possible. Since we will only be in Boston for the day we can take the T in, check out the city a little (other 2 guys haven't been there), and then make our way over to the ballpark. I'll probably be doing the majority of the driving and I will probably want to shoot myself after the NYC to Boston that morning so there will be no crusing around Boston. Last time I was in Boston we stayed way out of town down the T line and didn't experience too much traffic (just getting in and out) and we took the T everywhere.

That was my plan last year. That worked about as well as JimBo's plans to get starting pitching. I rolled into BOS about 7:30 p.m. and didn't get to my hotel till a little after midnight.

Caseyfan21
05-08-2008, 02:30 PM
You ought to invest in a GPS system or borrow one from somebody. Having something like that would make the trip alot easier.

Oh yeah, already taken care of with that. I cannot live without mine. That thing has saved my neck more than a few times. I think one of the other guys going also has one so we should be all set.

Caseyfan21
05-08-2008, 02:34 PM
That was my plan last year. That worked about as well as JimBo's plans to get starting pitching. I rolled into BOS about 7:30 p.m. and didn't get to my hotel till a little after midnight.

:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe we should just live NYC after the Mets game Monday night (only half kidding). Hopefully by arriving in the late morning we'll do a bit better but the foucs is on the game so as long as we make it by 7 pm none of us will cry too much about not getting to see as much of the city. But if we miss that first pitch then there will be hell to pay. :laugh:

Spitball
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM

Due to parking and traffic, I like using the T. I grew up on the North Shore (Topsfield) and have family in that area so usually catch the train out of Ipswich. It is about an hour ride.

blumj
05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'd try that hard to avoid driving in Boston, only to avoid driving to and from Fenway around game time or anywhere at rush hour. I think redsfan30 has the right idea.