PDA

View Full Version : How many songs are on your Ipod or MP3 device?

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
i have 5055 songs in my Ipod at the moment.

dougdirt
05-07-2008, 11:43 PM
293 and 89 videos.

Danny Serafini
05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
About 220. I really need a bigger one.

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
oh yea...i have 24 videos

fearofpopvol1
05-07-2008, 11:53 PM
25,032 songs, 0 Vids/Pictures

HumnHilghtFreel
05-08-2008, 12:11 AM
about 300 or so songs. 3 movies and some assorted tv shows.

I love having this around in between classes at school. Watching tv in the palm of your hand makes those breaks much better.

OldRightHander
05-08-2008, 12:33 AM

I have a pretty good CD collection though.

KronoRed
05-08-2008, 01:02 AM
No Ipod here, 400 or so songs on the w300i cell phone/mp3 player.

*BaseClogger*
05-08-2008, 01:21 AM
446 songs and counting...

Patrick Bateman
05-08-2008, 01:26 AM
446 songs and counting...

Ha... I'm at 440 as we speak.

GoReds33
05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm at about 100, but my iPod holds 7,500. I think I need to get some more.

WMR
05-08-2008, 07:38 AM
How about this question: How many of your songs were procured through legal channels (i.e., NOT downloaded via torrent or some other website/method)?

guttle11
05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
How about this question: How many of your songs were procured through legal channels (i.e., NOT downloaded via torrent or some other website/method)?

I have about 2,000 songs, and maybe 50 came from CDs I owned or an iTunes gift card.

OldRightHander
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM

Every piece of recorded music I own was purchased at a place called a store and comes on a little shiny thing called a CD. Some are even on larger less shiny things called LPs. All of these songs are compiled together on things called albums. That's where an artist records more than one song and puts them together under a collection that has one title.

WMR
05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Every piece of recorded music I own was purchased at a place called a store and comes on a little shiny thing called a CD. Some are even on larger less shiny things called LPs. All of these songs are compiled together on things called albums. That's where an artist records more than one song and puts them together under a collection that has one title.

It'd be interesting to see a study asking that question of a wide range of folks and charting the average age of those who answer like you and those who answer otherwise.

elfmanvt07
05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
It'd be interesting to see a study asking that question of a wide range of folks and charting the average age of those who answer like you and those who answer otherwise.

First of all, I turn 23 in a Month.

I would say about 90% of the 1349 songs on my iPhone are legal. Quite a few have been purchased through the iTunes store, and the rest are old CDs I have/had. I only illegally download songs when they're not in the iTunes store, as about 99% of illegally downloaded songs don't match the audio quality of iTunes AAC's.

I realize I'm in the minority of people my age, but I feel that I should support artists whom I find add something to the fabric of American musical culture.

registerthis
05-08-2008, 10:17 AM

I used to download songs from Napster, Kazaa, Limewire, etc. back in my "rebellious" college days. I don't really, anymore. Most of my music comes from CDs purchased at used record stores, and via iTunes. The exception to that is if I am looking for a song or album that is not commercially available in the U.S. In that case, I will still download from illegal sources simply because there isn't a way to procure them here (other than going through some ridiculous special ordering process at a store and paying 3-4x the price of the album for doing so).

rotnoid
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
613 songs, not sure where most of them came from, or why I still have them. But they get me through most work days, nonetheless.

Falls City Beer
05-08-2008, 11:49 AM
11,000 or so. And depending on the notion of "legality," I'd say 90 percent are "certainly legal."

Dom Heffner
05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
1700 songs and videos. The videos are sort of an addiciton. I think I'm one of the last remaining people on earth who considers the video a cool art form. I hook the ipod up to a screen enlarger, set it on my treadmill and watch music videos.

Love it.

Reds Fanatic
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I have over 7,000 most copied from my CDs and some bought from Itunes.

smoke6
05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
150 songs, 1 pic, 0 videos...

gilpdawg
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM
8709 songs, 2 videos (podcasts)

5.5 Generation 80 G Video iPod.

LawFive
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Can I just take the Fifth now, or do I have to wait for the trial?

WMR
05-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone who doesn't respond... well, we'll know what they're up to. ;) :lol:

Patrick Bateman
05-08-2008, 07:05 PM

I'd say about 90% legal. Like the others, the "illegal" ones are not commercially available via iTunes or whatnot... if they were, I'd be paying for them.

Ltlabner
05-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Wow..I'm a real loser. I only have 300 songs or so.

And I payed for nearly all of them. The ones I didn't pay for were on CD's borrowed from friends.

Dracodave
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
2,000+. I love me some music.

*BaseClogger*
05-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Everything in my Library was purchased from iTunes or is from a CD. However, all of my Classic Rock comes from a friend's iTunes who uses Limewire along with his CD collection...

cinredsfan2000
05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe a couple hundred on the I-pod not sure as it seems to have gotten misplaced in between moving between apts. But i own around 600+ cd's but just haven't had the patients or time to sit down and add music to the I-pod .

OldRightHander
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Another question. How many people still listen to albums in their entirety, in the same song order as originally produced? I get the impression that digital music is moving everything in the direction of the individual song instead of albums. That's not a trend I like, if that is the case.

*BaseClogger*
05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Another question. How many people still listen to albums in their entirety, in the same song order as originally produced? I get the impression that digital music is moving everything in the direction of the individual song instead of albums. That's not a trend I like, if that is the case.

It's not worth it IMO to spend $10 on a CD when I can get the couple of songs I really like for $0.99 a piece...

KronoRed
05-09-2008, 12:06 AM

It's rare I run into a really good album these days, almost every genre has done to '2 singles 10 filler tracks', most of the albums I listen to are 20+ years old.

oneupper
05-09-2008, 06:45 AM

That's the trend. But I'm guessing that in time there will be more flexibility in terms of what an artist can offer in a compilation.

Song and album length will be longer constrained by the physical limitations of a CD (or vinyl). No need for filler. No need to cut some good stuff out.
Right now it's still in a transition as CDs still sell a lot more than digital downloads.

Not to mention the greater availability and multiplicity of choice the digital is already offering.

I think the future of music is going to be really interesting and probably really good.

(Oh..about 2000 songs on my iPod..a 3G that still works fine)

KittyDuran
05-09-2008, 08:27 AM
77 on the MP3

BuckU
05-09-2008, 09:41 AM
About 1600 on my iPod. About half are legal purchases...the rest are from CD's I own and cherry picking from other people's iPods...is that legal?

OldRightHander
05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
On the topic of albums, which is loosely on topic here, how many artists are still doing them? And I don't mean just releasing a disc with so many songs on it, but the real album where the songs were all related to a central theme and it made more sense if you listened to them in order. I can think of a few who still do that, but it seems to be more rare these days. Some of my favorite artists are the ones who can do that, who can give me a collection of 10-15 songs that are meant to be listened to in order, kind of like chapters in a larger book. Am I just old fashioned that way?

Dom Heffner
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
ORH, I think the concept album is pretty well done, though Green Day did do one a few years back that rocked.

OldRightHander
05-09-2008, 03:01 PM
ORH, I think the concept album is pretty well done, though Green Day did do one a few years back that rocked.

I think it depends on the style of music. I listen to a fair amount of Christian music and some of those artists still do albums like that. Those are the ones I like the most. I liken the way music is done today to a writer putting out a book with a bunch of chapters that don't relate to one another and don't have to be read in any particular order. What fun is that?

BuckU
05-09-2008, 03:14 PM

Coheed & Cambria still does it.

IslandRed
05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Really, ORH, the type of albums you're talking about have always been the exceptions. Even in the heyday of the album, most albums were still just a collection of tracks that didn't suffer for playing piecemeal or in a different order.

The digital scene is also a little bit of "back to the future" -- in the early days of rock 'n' roll, the single ruled and albums were just a way to cash in on the fans who couldn't get enough. Then came Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper, and the album as cohesive work came into play. But I think that started fading out as CDs replaced LPs. CD players can skip and shuffle just like MP3 players.

IslandRed
05-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh, and to answer the original question: Just a hundred-something on a iPod Shuffle, all from ripped CDs I own or iTunes purchases. It's the rare song that I want to be able to play on demand badly enough to shell out money. The rest of the time, XM meets my needs.

Razor Shines
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
3,000 or so songs. Almost all are legal. Some are from borrowed CDs. I buy everything off iTunes now. I can't remember the last time I bought an actual CD.

*BaseClogger*
05-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I think it depends on the style of music. I listen to a fair amount of Christian music and some of those artists still do albums like that. Those are the ones I like the most. I liken the way music is done today to a writer putting out a book with a bunch of chapters that don't relate to one another and don't have to be read in any particular order. What fun is that?

There are are lot of great books which had chapters that could be read out of order...