PDA

View Full Version : BA: Daryl Thompson

New Fever
05-08-2008, 03:23 PM
BA has a subscriber article that came out today talking about the 5 most impressive prospect springs so far. They focused on guys that did not make the Top 100 last year and who have seen their status skyrocket. The five guys were Trevor Cahill, Brandon Erbe, Michael Saunders, Jeremy Hellickson, and Daryl Thompson. They basically said that while his numbers were impressive, his stuff has gotten a lot better and his fastball is now consistently at 94 with good command and maintains velocity. They talked to a scout who said he can pitch in the big leagues now and he is fast track guy. It is a pretty good article and they also talk about more positives and negatives(Past shoulder injury) about Thompson.

Benihana
05-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Yep, he's definitely a Top 50 guy at this point. And he does throw 94 consistently (to the naysayer on the board.)

dougdirt
05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Yep, he's definitely a Top 50 guy at this point. And he does throw 94 consistently (to the naysayer on the board.)

Haven't seen anyone dispute that one.... just the 97 that was thrown around by me and a few others that we got from the Lookouts broadcasters.

Benihana
05-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Haven't seen anyone dispute that one.... just the 97 that was thrown around by me and a few others that we got from the Lookouts broadcasters.

And just three days ago, per this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67927&page=6

Well, lets correct this real fast... he doesn't throw mid 90's. He will hit 95 once or twice a game. He works 89-93. To top that off, Thompson, despite very strong numbers last year was not a top 30 REDS prospects last year, nor was he a Top 20 REDS prospect according to John Sickels last year (not sure if he was actually ranked beyond that). Now while I don't think he came out of nowhere, I think its too early to throw him into the top 50 prospects in the game. He has good stuff, but he has a small size and last year in the FSL he pitched ok, but nothing too dazzling. I want to see more from him before tossing him up that high into rankings.

Care to talk your way out of this one?

dougdirt
05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
And just three days ago, per this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67927&page=6

Care to talk your way out of this one?
I stand by what I said. Nowhere in that article does it suggest he throws 94 all game. It does suggest that he tops out at 94 and he maintains his velocity. That shouldn't be confused with he throws 94 MPH every pitch. He doesn't. I think that what I said was spot on with what BA published today.

klw
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
well Thompson says he works at "maybe 92, maybe 93"

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67191

dougdirt
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I have listened to 6 of his starts, according to the radar gun at the stadium (which is juiced a bit) he works 88-97. So in real terms, he works from about 86-94/95. Now I doubt his fastball was in hat 86 range, but he isn't hitting 94/95 consistently.

New Fever
05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
I have listened to 6 of his starts, according to the radar gun at the stadium (which is juiced a bit) he works 88-97. So in real terms, he works from about 86-94/95. Now I doubt his fastball was in hat 86 range, but he isn't hitting 94/95 consistently.

Yep Doug you're right. I read it wrong it says that he gets it up to 94 and maintains his velocity for 8 innings.

Still I think the main point is Thompson's stock is rising.

NarrowStairs
05-08-2008, 06:27 PM
What the heck is he doing still in AA?

dougdirt
05-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Still I think the main point is Thompson's stock is rising.

It absolutely is. The main thing I see with scouts when I ask them about him is still a concensus 'lets see how he is doing in July/August'. There are still concerns whether or not his stuff can hold up over the long haul because of the shoulder and thats where I am at. Still, he is one of the fastest risers in all of minor league baseball.

TheBigLebowski
05-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Nice to know we might actually win "The Trade" after all.

fearofpopvol1
05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Nice to know we might actually win "The Trade" after all.

I don't know. The 2 other supposed "promising" pieces we got from the trade have had eerily similar injuries. That scares me.

I hope Thompson ends up being great, though.

RedEye
05-09-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't know. The 2 other supposed "promising" pieces we got from the trade have had eerily similar injuries. That scares me.

Not to mention Royce Clayton and Brendan Harris... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I still can't defend that deal.

PuffyPig
05-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Looking at the trade from the point of view of who get the better players,we easiliy win,as the Nationals got two players who play poorly and are quite expensive. We still have two players from the trade who are cheap and have much promise.

The reason the trade is hard to defend is because of the perceived value of what we got at the time of the trade. Everyone thinks we could have gotten more immediate help.

TheBigLebowski
05-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Sorry..didn't mean to hijack the thread with "The Trade" talk. Very encouraging stuff about Thompson.

IslandRed
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
What the heck is he doing still in AA?

He's had a terrific first seven starts, but it's still just seven starts. There's nothing wrong with letting a guy go around the league more than once and show he can still dominate hitters after they've had a chance to adjust to him. Is it true mastery of the level, or just a hot streak? It takes a little more time to know the answer.

I'm all for challenging hitters, but the Peter Principle is a terrible development philosophy for pitchers. Not saying you're advocating that.

Benihana
05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
He's had a terrific first seven starts, but it's still just seven starts. There's nothing wrong with letting a guy go around the league more than once and show he can still get dominate hitters after they've had a chance to adjust to him. Is it true mastery of the level, or just a hot streak? It takes a little more time to know the answer.

I'm all for challenging hitters, but the Peter Principle is a terrible development philosophy for pitchers. Not saying you're advocating that.

Agreed. I'd give him another month in AA at least.

bucksfan2
05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Agreed. I'd give him another month in AA at least.

I may be inclined to give him more. He probably won't snuff the majors this season and in all reality is behind Homer, Maloney, Shern, and Lehr in terms of starting for the major league club. I would assume that Homer is the next one up followed by a Shern or Lehr if a emergency start is needed.

I let Thompson pitch atleast half a season in AA before I move him up. I would put him on a similar path that Cueto was on last season. Have him get a cup of coffee in AAA by the end of the season and then attempt to start him in AAA unless he blows away the competition in the spring.

Benihana
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I may be inclined to give him more. He probably won't snuff the majors this season and in all reality is behind Homer, Maloney, Shern, and Lehr in terms of starting for the major league club. I would assume that Homer is the next one up followed by a Shern or Lehr if a emergency start is needed.

I let Thompson pitch atleast half a season in AA before I move him up. I would put him on a similar path that Cueto was on last season. Have him get a cup of coffee in AAA by the end of the season and then attempt to start him in AAA unless he blows away the competition in the spring.

I don't disagree. I was just saying, if he throws three more shutouts this month, it would be awfully tough to not consider a promotion to AAA. Regardless, no way does he sniff the bigs this year.

Redman15
05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
From BA's chat today:

Q: Ben from Columbus, OH asks:
Hi Ben! How close is Daryl Thompson to the Hot Sheet (1.45 ERA, 43.1 IP), and how long before he gets moved up to Louisville?

A: Ben Badler: I'm going to catch up with Thompson this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Louisville soon. The labrum problems in his recent history still scare the bananas out of me though.

ChatterRed
05-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Not to mention Royce Clayton and Brendan Harris... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I still can't defend that deal.

I can, because the Nats got nothing of value. In fact, those two are dragging that team down on the field in in payroll.

The Reds did and will continue to come out on top with Bray and Thompson.

Leatherpants loses again.

What is funny to me, is that Leatherpants has always been one to toot his own horn, and Krivsky made several good deals, like Hamilton, Phillips, etc.........and never came out publicly and talked about how good a deal he made, because he didn't want to insult the other GM he had just taken. But Bowden never has a problem with mouthing off and acting like he got the best of someone. No wonder Krivsky was able to continue to deal with other GM's and Bowden has this terrible reputation.

gedred69
05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Some good points made in this thread, mainly the one of which is that the Nats are stuck payroll-wise with two "higher" salaries guys that flashed once and are now at best, rather ordinary. Bray will help the Reds,----if he gets and stays healthy, and Thompson looks very promising, (fingers crossed).

OnBaseMachine
05-12-2008, 04:23 PM
I was just about to post this. Very nice article by BA - they've had a lot of Reds flavor recently with the Thompson article, and then the Cueto/Volquez and Frazier/Waring articles.

reds44
05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Fay on Thompson:

Talked an AL scout who has seen Daryl Thompson pitch twice. He said the times he saw Thompson, Thompson's stuff was good enough to get big leaguers out. "The first batter of the game he throws a 74-mph curve for a strike. The next pitch is 94 on the inside corner. As hitter, you're thinking: What the hell is coming next?"

RedEye
05-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I can, because the Nats got nothing of value. In fact, those two are dragging that team down on the field in in payroll.

The Reds did and will continue to come out on top with Bray and Thompson.

Leatherpants loses again.

What is funny to me, is that Leatherpants has always been one to toot his own horn, and Krivsky made several good deals, like Hamilton, Phillips, etc.........and never came out publicly and talked about how good a deal he made, because he didn't want to insult the other GM he had just taken. But Bowden never has a problem with mouthing off and acting like he got the best of someone. No wonder Krivsky was able to continue to deal with other GM's and Bowden has this terrible reputation.

I still think Kearns's bat and defense would look good on this team that is terribly in need of a RH bat and good outfield play. FeLo had me fooled into thinking he was a good player, I'll admit it.

At any rate, Bray and Thompson are still two big question marks. Wayne hasn't won just yet.

medford
05-14-2008, 06:07 AM
You mean the .201 hitting Austin Kearns w/ 3 homer & 16 rbi??? He's essentially had a Corey Patterson type season to date w/ 10 more walks in 30 more plate appearances. While I haven't seen Austin play this year, I suspect his range in center would be below that which Corey has given the Reds.

If Austin were in Cincy, he would be lambasted right now. The Reds do need a good RH bat and better play in the OF, but to date, Austin would not do the trick.

lollipopcurve
05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
At any rate, Bray and Thompson are still two big question marks. Wayne hasn't won just yet.

I think it's pretty clear now that in 2008 the Reds hold the better assets from that trade. Different story in 06 and 07, probably, but now that Kearns and Lopez are underperforming on sizeable contracts, Bray is looking useful and Thompson is emerging very nicely, the tables have turned. People say the trade was made for the present, and that is partly true, but here we are years later and what do you know -- the players haven't disappeared off the face of the earth.