PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo's contract, Dunn's no-trade date, etc.

Blitz Dorsey
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM
* Does Arroyo's contract run out after 2010 or 2011? Krivsky made a great move by trading for Bronson (considering he gave up a bum like Wily Modesto) but then screwed it up by signing him to an extension far too early. I think it was just a two-year extension (which means 2010) but I can't remember for sure. Hopefully it's only two years. I can't believe I'm saying it, but that contract is looking almost as bad as Milton's. I said almost.

* Dunn's no-trade clause ends June 15, right? Or is it July 15? I think it's the former and I hope that's the case. And I know he still has a limited no-trade clause (he can make a list of 10 teams he would go to) but I think we can get something good for him if we have a large enough window. I'm just hoping for a top minor league arm. Nothing as good as Clayton Kershaw, a notch below that. But someone who still projects as a No. 2 starter in a few years. I'm sure Jocketty is already working the phones putting out feelers. Hopefully Dunn gets hot and increases his value a little.

* Does Alex Gonzalez need to get his leg amputated? I'm starting to worry about him. He was like the guy back in college who only showed up at midterms and finals. He's been here two years and I've hardly seen the guy. Although, can't say I miss him too much. Even with Keppinger struggling lately, I still prefer him over Gonzo. And Gonzalez was terrible defensively last year, especially for someone billed as a "great" defensive player.

redsmetz
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Here's the source for contract info, Cot's:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/cincinnati-reds_24.html

Arroyo is through 2010, option 2011.
Dunn's Limited No Trade Clause begins 6/15

Gonzo has just been unfortunate, such a string of rotten luck and difficult matters. I still think it was a good stopgap signing since we had no one in the pipeline, but he's been one thing after another, none of it his own fault.

flyer85
05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Trading Dunn will have little to do with the list as Dunn/agent will likley provide a list of 10 teams that have zero interest in Dunn.

The way it will work is Dunn then has the leverage to decide where he goes ... if anywhere and he also may get more $$$ to waive his no-trade clause.

kheidg-
05-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I think Arroyo's value is at an all time low. He'll string together some consecutive quality starts eventually here...

If we can't get anything decent for Dunn, I'm fine with taking draft picks.

Gonzalez, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't play at all this year.

REDREAD
05-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I question whether Arroyo can put in enough quality appearances before the trading deadline to convince people that he's back to being a #2 starter. That's what it's going to take, considering the money that is due to him over the next 3 years.

IMO, he's untradable now, considering what the FA market was like for below average pitchers. No team in their right mind is going to consider Arroyo as a boost to help their playoff chances. In all seriousness, Fogg is more marketable at this point, with his low salary, one year commitment, and comparable performance.

REDREAD
05-08-2008, 11:43 PM
On the other two guys:

I think the club should try to extend Dunn, if he wants to come back. There's just no way we are going to be able to replace his offense.

I disliked the AGon signing from the beginning. You don't give a 3 year deal to an obviously declining guy to be a stopgap.

Blitz Dorsey
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
On the other two guys:

I think the club should try to extend Dunn, if he wants to come back. There's just no way we are going to be able to replace his offense.

I disliked the AGon signing from the beginning. You don't give a 3 year deal to an obviously declining guy to be a stopgap.

I think Bruce will surpass anything Dunn has ever done. However, since Bruce will actually be replacing Griffey, I see your point. I just think we need to get a proven minor league pitcher for Dunn while we can. I would rather have that than draft picks. I don't want the Reds to sign Dunn to a LTC and I don't think they will. Let's get what we can for him after 6/15.

Alex Gonzalez could go missing for a month and no one would notice. Maybe two months.