05-09-2008, 11:24 AM
per ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Benihana
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
:thumbup:

The_jbh
05-09-2008, 11:35 AM
now people can stop being so angry about Bray's demotion despite ample logic for it.

Chip R
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Won't you come home, Bill Bray
Won't you come home

Team Clark
05-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Wonder if anything was really wrong with Mercker? Phantom DL situation.

Kc61
05-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Why would they do that? Mercker has been pitching ok. Why would they try to stash him on the DL?

Jpup
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Mercker threw a ton of pitches his last time out (34) in 1.1 innings. He has been lit up in his last 2 outings. That suggests he could be hurt. He is not used very much either. He has pitched 1 time in the last week.

Chip R
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Oh! My arm!

http://movies.infinitecoolness.com/23/caddyshack09b.jpg

RedsManRick
05-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Mercker must have come down with a case of being old.

dfs
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
First thing that came to my mind as well.
Particularly in light of http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68050

Unassisted
05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
The timing should give him a great opportunity to catch the golf tournament taking place back home in Dublin.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
First thing that came to my mind as well.
Particularly in light of http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68050

ditto

Team Clark
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Mercker threw a ton of pitches his last time out (34) in 1.1 innings. He has been lit up in his last 2 outings. That suggests he could be hurt. He is not used very much either. He has pitched 1 time in the last week.

He very well could be hurt. I have no idea. Just wondering out loud. The phantom DL does exist for those who can not be sent down.

flyer85
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
from what I saw from Bray the first time around I was not impressed. He slider was moving mostly in the horizontal plane. When he stays on top of the slider and it goes down he is tough ... when he gets on the side of it he is nothing special. The Bray I saw wasn't as good as the pitcher that come over almost two years ago.

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
I have always like Merck, but his time is about up. If it's Bray or Kent, imo you find away to go with the young arm. DL works for that.

REDREAD
05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Mercker hasn't pitched a whole lot, only about 11 innings.. but arguably he's pitched about as well as Burton in 15 IP. Mercker's peripherals are worse (particularly the K's) but the point in comparing him to Burton is that he's not been horrible. (Not saying he's better than Burton, just close).

I'm not so sure Bray is an upgrade; however, the Reds need to figure out this year if Bray is in their plans for beyond this year, so this is a good move, even if Merck isn't hurt.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Why would they do that? Mercker has been pitching ok. Why would they try to stash him on the DL?

As a fan and friend of Kent's, even I can't say he was really pitching that great.

Sure his ERA looks decent at 3.86, but he has has allowed 19 baserunners in 11.2 IP. He isn't doing anything that suggests he doesn't belong, but with the success of Affeldt and now Bray appearing healthy, there is no need for three lefty's in the pen and Kent is the odd man out, IMO.

klw
05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Both Fay and Trent are saying it is lower back issues for Mercker

Joseph
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Is this the end of Mercker?

PuffyPig
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Mercker hasn't pitched a whole lot, only about 11 innings.. but arguably he's pitched about as well as Burton in 15 IP. Mercker's peripherals are worse (particularly the K's) but the point in comparing him to Burton is that he's not been horrible. (Not saying he's better than Burton, just close).

Mercker isn't even close to Burton. Burton's xFIP is about half of Mercker's (2.60 or so to 5.20 or so).

coachw513
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Won't you come home, Bill Bray
Won't you come home

Although would you agree that I'd rather see Bray just get a chance to stay put, see if he's for real or not and let him develop instead of having the "grizzled old guy" out there??...I guess IMHO Bray's earned enough credibility with me to "sink or swim" in the bigs...I don't feel the Louisville shuttle does much good for guys like him...

flyer85
05-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't feel the Louisville shuttle does much good for guys like him...Bray has proven he can get AAA hitters out. I think he can be serviceable but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe he could be special.

coachw513
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Bray has proven he can get AAA hitters out. I think he can be serviceable but I have seen nothing that leads me to believe he could be special.

But we already "know" that about Mercker, right?? :)...I guess the fact that maybe Bray can get it done is more appealing than knowing what KM's 40-year old ceiling is...

flyer85
05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
But we already "know" that about Mercker, right?? :)...I guess the fact that maybe Bray can get it done is more appealing than knowing what KM's 40-year old ceiling is...without a doubt ... and it isn't like Mercker will be contributing moving forward(2009 and beyond). I never understood why a 40 year old coming off of TJ surgery was on the team to begin with.

AmarilloRed
05-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Manager Dusty Baker was pleased with Bray's performance, and he indicated he could be back in the Majors sooner than later.

"I told him to go down and do what he was doing," Baker said. "He wasn't sent down because he wasn't pitching well. He did a great job for us. The fact it was the first time he's gone three days in a row in who knows how long, he probably wouldn't have been available for a couple of days. The young man has options."

It seems clear from this quote that Bray was not sent down because of his performance, they just needed a roster spot for Weathers. Once Mercker went to the DL, Bray was the obvious choice to return to Cincinnati.

Rojo
05-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I am now older than everyone on the team. Damn!

cumberlandreds
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
It's too bad they couldn't have "found" Mercker's injury when Weathers came off the DL. Could have saved Bray a trip to Louisville.

KronoRed
05-09-2008, 01:58 PM

I doubt it, he's the first lefty up if someone gets hurt now.

bucksfan2
05-09-2008, 02:17 PM

I think so. IMO we will never see the effective Mercker that we saw the first few outings of the season. I thought Mercker would spend time on the DL because of his age but a lower back problem will stay with his for the rest of the season.

reds44
05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Nothing to complain about here.

MrCinatit
05-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Mercker must have come down with a case of being old.

I would find that funny if I weren't two months younger than he. :p:

RichRed
05-09-2008, 03:36 PM
It's too bad they couldn't have "found" Mercker's injury when Weathers came off the DL. Could have saved Bray a trip to Louisville.

On the bright side for Bray, he did say that if he was going to be sent down, he was glad it happened when it did because it gave him a chance to see his family when the Bats were here in Norfolk playing the Tides.

Now he's back with the big club so it's been a pretty good week for Bray.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Mercker's had back problems for years....

Highlifeman21
05-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Hopefully Bray pitches well enough to stay up for good.

If this is the end of Mercker, hats off to him. Really good dude in real life.

buckeyenut
05-09-2008, 07:43 PM
On the bright side for Bray, he did say that if he was going to be sent down, he was glad it happened when it did because it gave him a chance to see his family when the Bats were here in Norfolk playing the Tides.

Now he's back with the big club so it's been a pretty good week for Bray.
After pitching three days in a row, it's not like he was going to pitch for the next several days anyways. Go see the family, take a few days off, and let them figure out what to do.