PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Reds Game Tracker (Why Not??)

Edskin
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Might as well keep the tradition going...

Every year I select an arbitrary stretch of games that I believe could get the Reds "back into" the playoff race. Each year, the Reds have fallen miserably short of my (fairly modest) goals. For some reason, I actually have a tad more faith this year-- probably because we can trot out at least 3 competent starters. Anyway, for those that don't remember, here's a link to two of the past "Tracker" threads...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58191

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34993

OK, this is the deal for 2008:

We are 14-21 and in serious danger of eliminating ourselves from any type of contention this year. Another bad week or two and we'll be OFFICIALLY toasted.

From today until JUne 16th (the day after the Red Sox series) we play 37 games in 38 days. The schedule is a nice mix of home and road, lesser-lights, top dogs, and middling opponents.

I figure if we can find ourselves at .500 on June 16th, we would have a reasonable expectation of making a decent run throughout the summer.

In order to hit this magical 36-36 record, we need to go 22-15 over the next 37 games.

It's been a colossal failure everytime I've tried it, but I say 2008 will be different! 22-15 here we come!!

cumberlandreds
05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I admire your optimism. :) Wow! Only one off day between now and June 16. That day is Memorial Day. The one day most everyone could be at home to watch a game or actually be there in person.

jojo
05-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Lets assume 90 wins is needed to take the division. Basically the Reds need to go 76-51 over their remaining 127 games in order to do it. Thats, gulp, .600 ball over the remaining 3/4ths of the season.......

It can happen. That said, I'm not so worried about how to pay for the playoff tickets. Basically we've got to hope the Reds charge like stallions AND root for misfortune on our enemies. The second part is distasteful to me.

Edskin
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
1-1. Let's get Cueto some runs today!

guttle11
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd say there's next to no shot at getting to .500 by June 16th. However, I also don't expect any team to win more than 90 games. That's 9 over .500, meaning the Reds likely wouldn't have to get to .500 until mid-August or so to feel like they have a legit shot.

I'm more inclined to have 20-17 as the goal.

Falls City Beer
05-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I hope Walt has had his heart-to-heart talk with Bob about the reality of this team's situation. I think Walt's very politic but direct description of this season as "salvageable" says a lot--a lot more than what Wayne was giving the fans. What Walt was saying is that there's no way this team is doing anything this year, but there should be some interesting plotlines, etc. This leaves me some hope that Walt has enough pull to be honest with Bob about where this team *actually* lies in terms of contention--which is still probably a couple of seasons away, at best.

You can stow away these threads for a few years, Ed.

Edskin
05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
You can stow away these threads for a few years, Ed.

Life's too short, FCB. I try to enjoy it as much as I can, as long as I can.

Edskin
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
1-2.

Not a great start, but it's what I figured. When I made this little thread, I had my sights set on this upcoming 7 game homestand as a real opportunity to get some wins. Florida has been playing over their heads and Cleveland looks pretty average. If we ever have a chance to win 5 of 7 or something like that, this would be the time.

Edskin
05-12-2008, 11:25 PM
2-2.

Now, can we string some wins together?

Hoosier Red
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
That's been the real problem. No winning streak to offset the two long losing streaks.
The team's been pretty much .500 except for about a week.

Falls City Beer
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Life's too short, FCB. I try to enjoy it as much as I can, as long as I can.

You're right, Ed. Life IS too short. And threads like this are like counting down the days till you go to the electric chair.

Edskin
05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
You're right, Ed. Life IS too short. And threads like this are like counting down the days till you go to the electric chair.

Always hoping for a reprieve from the Govenor........

Edskin
05-14-2008, 12:17 AM
3-2. Win one of these next two and we can feel good about the Marlins series.

Edskin
05-14-2008, 11:32 PM
4-2.

Will this year be the year the Tracker actually works!?!?

oregonred
05-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Too bad the schedule maker tossed the Tribe into the Tracker this weekend although we'll miss Sabathia (as if it matters with the Tribe rotation right now). The Tribe staff will be a bit rested with 43 1/3rd of scoreless innings from their starters since last weekend. They've tossed four shutouts in the last seven games. Given up one run and three runs in two of the others. In the last 12 games the Tribe has allowed more than 4 runs once (6 runs)

Good news is Harang + Volquez + Cueto matches up with about anyone on paper and gives a fighting chance to always take 2/3 from even a top tier opponent like the Tribe. With the black hole #5 spot tomorrow, let's hope the boys find a way to tread water at 2-2 over the next four games to stay on track :)

Edskin
05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
5-2.

Man, we are rolling :)

Question: Is this the start of a turn-around, or a random 4 game win streak in otherwise forgettable season?

Bob Borkowski
05-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I say massive turn-around!

membengal
05-17-2008, 11:23 AM
It certainly is easier to contemplate getting to .500 at 19-23 as opposed to 15-23...

coachw513
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Gotta admit my sickness...was excited about the 4 straight and late last night looked at the NL Central standings online...how in the heck did the Cubs get to 26-16 all of a sudden??...still 7 GB, bummer...

Falls City Beer
05-17-2008, 12:40 PM
..how in the heck did the Cubs get to 26-16 all of a sudden??

It's amazing what 4 good-to-excellent starters, a very good bullpen, an offense, and a defense can do. The Reds should try it sometime.

membengal
05-17-2008, 01:01 PM
How the Cardinals looking?

pahster
05-17-2008, 01:05 PM
How the Cardinals looking?

Falling back to earth; no surprise there.

membengal
05-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Indeed.

Edskin
05-17-2008, 07:08 PM
6-2. Hey, gotta admit-- they have your attention now, don't they? :)

redsfaninbsg
05-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Just when I was going to start relaxing and just enjoying the games they go and do this. Time to get emotionally interested in the games again.

Edskin
05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
7-2.

Woo Hoo!

Falls City Beer
05-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Bruce could keep the good times rollin'.

membengal
05-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Yes, yes he could.

WebScorpion
05-19-2008, 01:50 AM
7-2.

Woo Hoo!
We haven't lost since the game threads started back up. :thumbup:

I can see Arroyo beating Penny in that big park in LA, but there's 0% chance of rain for Belisle's start on Tuesday...maybe we should pray for an earthquake or a tsunami instead. :confused:

fearofpopvol1
05-19-2008, 02:29 AM
We haven't lost since the game threads started back up. :thumbup:

I can see Arroyo beating Penny in that big park in LA, but there's 0% chance of rain for Belisle's start on Tuesday...maybe we should pray for an earthquake or a tsunami instead. :confused:

I hope this happens, but Penny has been pretty dominant against the Reds.

smith288
05-19-2008, 09:09 AM
My signature is keeping track of the golf score. We lowered our end of season pace from +20 to +5...not too shabby.

smith288
05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
I hope this happens, but Penny has been pretty dominant against the Reds.
Penny has lost a ton of his velocity hasnt he?

fearofpopvol1
05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Penny has lost a ton of his velocity hasnt he?

Hmm...admittedly I don't know.

TRF
05-19-2008, 12:42 PM
This is a great place for Belisle to get back on track. big pitcher's park. I'm thinking 6+ IP 6K's 2 BB's and he gives up 3 runs.

Mark it down, and that should be good enough for a W.

LincolnparkRed
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
This is a great place for Belisle to get back on track. big pitcher's park. I'm thinking 6+ IP 6K's 2 BB's and he gives up 3 runs.

I'd be shocked if we get 3 off of Penny but your line for Belisle would be a nice start

TRF
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd be shocked if we get 3 off of Penny but your line for Belisle would be a nice start

Were you shocked the Reds got 6 off Lee?

smith288
05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Were you shocked the Reds got 6 off Lee?
ill chime in say I wasnt. Lee doesnt have the accomplishments of Penny. Penny has always toy'd with the Reds. Lee was playing WAY over expectations and was due for a classic rake over the coals to move to the mean. Penny has abused the Reds far too much.

Edskin
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
7-3.

Kinda let one get away last night, but I'm not complaining.........yet :)

jojo
05-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Here's the absolutely frustrating thing about the hole the Reds dug themselves.

Since May 10th, the Reds have played .700 ball including some of the most enjoyable I've seen from them in a while.

They've picked up half a game in the standings (they were 7.5 games back and are now stand 7 games back as of this morning).

Edskin
05-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Since May 10th, the Reds have played .700 ball including some of the most enjoyable I've seen from them in a while.

They've picked up half a game in the standings.

That's looking just at the NL Central race. Wild Card would be just as good, IMO. And in that regard, they've made up a decent chunk of ground on a whole bunch of teams.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
That's looking just at the NL Central race. Wild Card would be just as good, IMO. And in that regard, they've made up a decent chunk of ground on a whole bunch of teams.

Wild card is even less of a controllable component. It's much less the number of games than it is the number teams you have to leapfrog.

The Cards and Houston look every bit as good as the Reds, maybe a bit better (if Izzy and Ankiel can get themselves straightened out, the Cards are pretty obviously better than the Reds); and the Cubs are clearly better than the Reds. It's asking a bunch of a team to hang tough enough in the WC race with three better teams in front of them in their own division.

Bruce would help, as he would give the Reds the jolt they need (like Pence or Ludwick). As would getting another fireballer for the pen to supplant Weathers in the eighth.

Most of all, though, they STILL need *just ONE MORE* rotation anchor. Argh.

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM

They've picked up half a game in the standings (they were 7.5 games back and are now stand 7 games back as of this morning).

That's one big reason why many of us were complaining about the team, Bakers decisions, lineups, Patterson, Fogg, Belisle, Arroyo, Griffey, the defense, and other tidbits before now. Though they are just one game, they are one game at a time where mistakes in judgment can dig a big hole that takes extraordinary results to over come. What is it that they say, “you can’t win it in April, but you can lose it in April”.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Wild card is even less of a controllable component. It's much less the number of games than it is the number teams you have to leapfrog.

The Cards and Houston look every bit as good as the Reds, maybe a bit better (if Izzy and Ankiel can get themselves straightened out, the Cards are pretty obviously better than the Reds); and the Cubs are clearly better than the Reds. It's asking a bunch of a team to hang tough enough in the WC race with three better teams in front of them in their own division.

Bruce would help, as he would give the Reds the jolt they need (like Pence or Ludwick). As would getting another fireballer for the pen to supplant Weathers in the eighth.

Most of all, though, they STILL need *just ONE MORE* rotation anchor. Argh.

The Cardinals are pretty obviously better than the Reds? No. No. Their starting rotation consists of Adam Wainwright, Todd Wellemeyer, Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse, and Joel Pineiro. That is a terrible rotation and luckily for them a couple have pitched well over their heads so far. And the Astros also have horrible starting pitching.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
The Cardinals are pretty obviously better than the Reds? No. No. Their starting rotation consists of Adam Wainwright, Todd Wellemeyer, Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse, and Joel Pineiro. That is a terrible rotation and luckily for them a couple have pitched well over their heads so far. And the Astros also have horrible starting pitching.

You're confusing two things: performance and potential.

Obviously, the Reds have a great deal of potential in a guy like Cueto--but they've gotten little by way of performance from him. Less potential with Arroyo (who's become almost totally reliant upon his defense to be even passable), but very poor performance. And the poster boy for failed potential, Belisle.

Sure, the Cards aren't going to turn any of their rotation guys into Josh Beckett, but they're going to squeeze performance at the height of their career curve. Say what you want, but Wellemeyer looks like the opposite of a mirage so far; and Looper and Lohse are probably at the peak of their potential right now (they won't go any higher of course but it's better than having a guy at the bottom of the learning curve on the way up [Cueto] or a guy clearly on the leeward side of his career curve [Arroyo] or an abject failure like the Cards' own Anthony Reyes[Belisle]).

Sometimes decent is enough, as long as awful doesn't enter the picture.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Here is why I don't expect the Cards pitching to remain above average:

Joel Pineiro - 10 BB/16 K in 38.1 IP
Braden Looper - 13 BB/21 K in 53 IP
Kyle Lohse: 16 BB/27 K in 57.1 IP

Wellemeyer is pitching pretty good right now but he's never thrown more than 80 innings in a major league season. Expect him to hit a wall before long.

Wainwright is obviously a good pitcher but he doesn't strike many batters out.

pahster
05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Ludwick's playing way over his head, too. I doubt he slugs .772 all year. Of course, I also doubt Duncan has a .400 SLG at the end of the year. Ankiel seems to have discovered the walk this year, which bodes well for their offense. So has Izturis, but I can't envision him having a .365 OBP at the close of the season.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Here is why I don't expect the Cards pitching to remain above average:

Joel Pineiro - 10 BB/16 K in 38.1 IP
Braden Looper - 13 BB/21 K in 53 IP
Kyle Lohse: 16 BB/27 K in 57.1 IP

Wellemeyer is pitching pretty good right now but he's never thrown more than 80 innings in a major league season. Expect him to hit a wall before long.

Wainwright is obviously a good pitcher but he doesn't strike many batters out.

If Wellemeyer's due to fall apart, what makes you think both Cueto and Volquez aren't headed for troubled waters, since they too have never thrown over 80 innings in a MLB season?

As I said, no one is going to confuse any Cards' starter for Nolan Ryan, but you may not need to be great to hang around a good while in either the Central or the Wild Card.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Ludwick's playing way over his head, too. I doubt he slugs .772 all year. Of course, I also doubt Duncan has a .400 SLG at the end of the year. Ankiel seems to have discovered the walk this year, which bodes well for their offense. So has Izturis, but I can't envision him having a .365 OBP at the close of the season.

So in other words, their offense is playing *just* slightly over their heads.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
If Wellemeyer's due to fall apart, what makes you think both Cueto and Volquez aren't headed for troubled waters, since they too have never thrown over 80 innings in a MLB season?

As I said, no one is going to confuse any Cards' starter for Nolan Ryan, but you may not need to be great to hang around a good while in either the Central or the Wild Card.

Volquez threw 188 innings between the minors and majors last season and Cueto threw just over 160 innings so their arms are stretched out, though both will still suffer some rough times throughout the season.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Volquez threw 188 innings between the minors and majors last season and Cueto threw just over 160 innings so their arms are stretched out, though both will still suffer some rough times throughout the season.

Volquez I think might be ready to go a whole season. Cueto much less so.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Volquez I think might be ready to go a whole season. Cueto much less so.

Honestly, I hope they limit Cueto to no more than 165-175 innings this season. When you add in his winter ball innings, he threw right around 200 innings last season. I'd like to see them take it easy on him this season.

pahster
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
So in other words, their offense is playing *just* slightly over their heads.

No. I expect Ludwick's SLG to drop .200+ points and Duncan's to increase by .050 to .100. I'd be surprised if Izturis managed to put up an above average OBP. They've been playing Skip Schumaker virtually every day. Pujols is going to have to have surgery at some point, too. I watch them almost every day; they're just not that impressive.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
I watch them almost every day; they're just not that impressive.

I think it's fair to say: neither are the Reds.

pahster
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it's fair to say: neither are the Reds.

I didn't say they were. :p:

I do think the Reds are in a better position for the next few years, though.

Falls City Beer
05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I do think the Reds are in a better position for the next few years, though.

Ask the Brewers about potential. :)
I'll take the winner, please.

The good thing is they have a GM who can identify a winner.

Edskin
05-21-2008, 08:37 AM
7-4.

Don't want to totally derail our momentum by getting swept in L.A. Cueto needs a good outing.

TRF
05-21-2008, 09:03 AM

Well I got the W wrong, but other than that I was pretty close. This is the kind of performance the Reds need from Belisle. Didn't BB anyone, 11 GO's, 4 FO's. He was solid enough to get a W, the bats just weren't there.

OnBaseMachine
05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
7-4.

Don't want to totally derail our momentum by getting swept in L.A. Cueto needs a good outing.

A win tonight in LA would be huge. The Reds scheduled starters against the Padres are Harang/Volquez/Arroyo/Belisle against the likes of Randy Wolf, Shawn Estes, Wil Ledezma, and Greg Maddux. All but one of those favor the Reds and even Maddux is hittable these days. A win tonight and three of four in San Diego would make it a successful roadtrip. Even a 3-4 roadtrip wouldn't be awful.

Edskin
05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
A win tonight in LA would be huge. The Reds scheduled starters against the Padres are Harang/Volquez/Arroyo/Belisle against the likes of Randy Wolf, Shawn Estes, Wil Ledezma, and Greg Maddux. All but one of those favor the Reds and even Maddux is hittable these days. A win tonight and three of four in San Diego would make it a successful roadtrip. Even a 3-4 roadtrip wouldn't be awful.

Exactly. 3-4 is acceptable. If you win 6 in a row, you can afford to tread water a bit-- especially on a road trip. What you can't do is totally implode as we've done in the past and undo all of the good we did during the homestand.

Edskin
05-22-2008, 12:56 AM
7-5.

Really disappointed tonight-- and not just because I stayed up AGAIN to see us lose.

The only way we could "erase" the 6 game win streak was by completely tanking this road trip. Well, we're off to a miserable start.

Win 3 of 4 in SD and this trip is salvaged. Anything less will be highly disappointing.

OnBaseMachine
05-22-2008, 06:35 AM
The Reds are going to sweep the Padres.

Falls City Beer
05-22-2008, 09:31 AM

4-game sweep? Which starters will the Reds acquire in the next couple of days?

Edskin
05-22-2008, 11:59 AM

The Padres are REALLY, REALLY bad and I don't see them getting much better. Having said that, I am always a believer in the law of averages in baseball, and that law would indicate that they are probably due to win a few pretty soon.

I'd be pretty stunned if we sweep this series, but I'm hopeful for 3. My prediction? 2.

WebScorpion
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
4-game sweep? Which starters will the Reds acquire in the next couple of days?
...the Padres just lost Peavy AND Young, but their 6th and 7th starters will probably still be pretty good in that park. ;)

OnBaseMachine
05-22-2008, 11:43 PM

So much for my optimism. Harang got rocked by the worst offense in baseball tonight and it appears the Reds are well on their way to 0-4 on this road trip.

Edskin
05-23-2008, 12:17 AM
7-6.

Wow, talk about a buzzkill. I guess the Reds wanted to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN to their fans that the win streak was a mirage.

jojo
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
7-6.

Wow, talk about a buzzkill. I guess the Reds wanted to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN to their fans that the win streak was a mirage.

One secret to successful living is learning to recognize/appreciate the small moments because waiting for the big fire works often means never getting to see any......

Concerning our love affair with the '08 Reds, we as fans are probably not going to find our soul mate.... but we can say, "at least we had the May homestand"....

Those 5 games were a blast and I enjoyed every pitch.

Edskin
05-24-2008, 01:45 AM
8-6.

Desperately needed that one.

Dunn carrying the offense, doing everything he can.

Edskin
05-25-2008, 01:39 AM
9-6.

Win tomorrow and disaster will be averted.

GAC
05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
9-6.

Win tomorrow and disaster will be averted.

Belisle is going to have to be on his game in order to beat Gandalf - who has been impressive this year at age 42. The guy finds a way to win.

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/maddux.jpg

After today's game, we have 20 games left per the "Game Tracker"

3 - Pirates (Home)
3 - Atlanta (Home)
4 - at Philadelphia
4 - at Florida

(those 8 away games are a cause for concern for me)

They then come home for...

3 - Cards
3 - Red Sox

I predict 9-11 over that stretch.

I say we find a way to beat S.D. today, which would make us 10-6.

That would put our record at 19-17. ;)

Edskin
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
GAC--

I totally agree about that Florida-Philly road trip--- with our road woes, that could spell doom. But no sense in worrying about that until we get this homestand completed :) We owe the Pirates a sweep!

Edskin
05-26-2008, 01:51 AM
9-7.

Wow. What else can you say? Only the Reds...only the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2008, 11:23 PM
9-7.

Wow. What else can you say? Only the Reds...only the Reds.

I'll tell ya what, that was one painful road trip. The Reds went 2-5 but could have easily went 4-3 and returned home with a 25-26 record. The game in Los Angeles last Monday night was a game the Reds should have won. They had a 4-0 lead and were hitting Brad Penny hard but things fell apart. Jerry Hairston Jr. committed a huge two out throwing error that allowed two runs to score and cut the lead to 4-2. Then in the 5th inning Arroyo was one strike away from ending the inning with a 5-2 lead but then allowed four straight two hits to tie the game. The offense fell asleep after that and the Reds lost 6-5. If Hairston doesn't make that error then the Reds most likely win, or if Arroyo could've gotten that last strike. And obviously yesterday was the other game the Reds should have won. If only Weathers hadn't blown that lead, or Cordero hadn't hung that 2-2 slider, or if Bray had been allowed to start that 11th inning. The Wednesday night game when Cueto pitched was also winnable but Cueto lacked command, plus he made big throwing error and Bako allowed a run to score on a passed ball and Patterson misplayed a flyball into a double, but that loss wasn't as painful as the others. That loss on Sunday is a tough one to swallow. I didn't sleep well last night after that one.

Edskin
05-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I'll tell ya what, that was one painful road trip. The Reds went 2-5 but could have easily went 4-3 and returned home with a 25-26 record. The game in Los Angeles last Monday night was a game the Reds should have won. They had a 4-0 lead and were hitting Brad Penny hard but things fell apart. Jerry Hairston Jr. committed a huge two out throwing error that allowed two runs to score and cut the lead to 4-2. Then in the 5th inning Arroyo was one strike away from ending the inning with a 5-2 lead but then allowed four straight two hits to tie the game. The offense fell asleep after that and the Reds lost 6-5. If Hairston doesn't make that error then the Reds most likely win, or if Arroyo could've gotten that last strike. And obviously yesterday was the other game the Reds should have won. If only Weathers hadn't blown that lead, or Cordero hadn't hung that 2-2 slider, or if Bray had been allowed to start that 11th inning. The Wednesday night game when Cueto pitched was also winnable but Cueto lacked command, plus he made big throwing error and Bako allowed a run to score on a passed ball and Patterson misplayed a flyball into a double, but that loss wasn't as painful as the others. That loss on Sunday is a tough one to swallow. I didn't sleep well last night after that one.

Good timing for the Bruce call-up. Everyone is kind of reeling from that loss on Sunday, and the Reds (and fans) could use a little pick-me-up.

Falls City Beer
05-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Good timing for the Bruce call-up. Everyone is kind of reeling from that loss on Sunday, and the Reds (and fans) could use a little pick-me-up.

Reds'll need to make the best of Bruce's call-up; no more cavalry on the farm. Any other reinforcements will have to come via trade at the deadline.

Edskin
05-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Reds'll need to make the best of Bruce's call-up; no more cavalry on the farm. Any other reinforcements will have to come via trade at the deadline.

Agreed. Bruce is the last in-house solution for any problems we're having. Hopefully, we can win enough games prior to the deadline to even consider making some deals.

Edskin
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
10-7.

Really nice night to be a Reds fan. How often are we able to say that? :)

Edskin
05-28-2008, 09:57 PM
11-7.

Jay Bruce sounds very similar to Babe Ruth. If you haven't noticed............

WebScorpion
05-28-2008, 11:21 PM
11-7.

Jay Bruce sounds very similar to Babe Ruth. If you haven't noticed............

Jayb Ruce! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/wootrock.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 11:33 PM
This team is a lot better than 25-28 IMO. The substitution of Jay Bruce for Corey Patterson is a huge improvement in the offense department. Bruce seems to have sparked the team. This is a much, much better team with Jay Bruce on it IMO. Add in Jeff Keppinger returning in a couple weeks and the offense only gets better. On the pitching side of things, Bronson Arroyo seems to be back to normal after struggling so early in the season. With him pitching well the Reds have four starters who I feel comfortable with. I know Johnny Cueto is struggling some but he's young and has the stuff to shut down any offense on any given night. Even when he hasn't had his best stuff the last couple times out he's still kept the Reds in the ballgame. Matt Belisle is the lone starter I feel uncomfortable with and he could soon be replaced with big lefty Matt Maloney or maybe Homer Bailey if he gets his stuff together.

The bullpen and defense are the two main weaknesses right now IMO. Place Bruce in RF, install Janish as the starting SS until Kepp in ready, and find a CFer who can cover some ground and the defense improves a lot. And the pitching improves also. As for the bullpen, DFA Josh Fogg and insert Matt Belisle as the long man. Ship out David Weathers or Mike Lincoln and bring up Josh Roenicke. Just a few in house moves like that and this is a much better team IMO.

reds44
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
At 25-28 with over 4 months left, there is plenty of time for this team to show good they actually are.

Only time will tell.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
At 25-28 with over 4 months left, there is plenty of time for this team to show good they actually are.

Only time will tell.

Yes indeed. Baseball Prospectus wrote a real nice piece on the Reds today and their abundance of young talent. BP agreed with what you and I and a few others have said - that with the talent the Reds have on the roster, there's no reason the Reds can't get themselves back into a playoff chase and, as they said, at the very least be a nasty spoiler.

Edskin
05-29-2008, 08:01 AM
The substitution of Jay Bruce for Corey Patterson is a huge improvement in the offense department.

The substitution of RFS62 for Corey Patterson would have been a huge improvement.

Edskin
05-29-2008, 10:05 PM
11-8.

Not sweatin' this loss too much, although it seemed we had a good chance to sweep with Harang on the mound. But I've learned over the years to never complain about winning 2 out of 3--that will do you well over time.

We do need to beat Atlanta 2 out of 3 this weekend if we want to call this a successful homestand though. That would put us at 13-9 over this stretch and keep us on a pretty close pace to obtaining our goal.

Edskin
05-30-2008, 11:32 PM
12-8.

Reds are fun to watch right now.

Falls City Beer
05-30-2008, 11:35 PM
12-8.

Reds are fun to watch right now.

Josh Fogg v. Jurrjens. :):(

Edskin
05-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Josh Fogg v. Jurrjens. :):(

OK, how about the Reds are fun to watch 4 of every 5 games? :)

membengal
05-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Jurrgens had blister issues his last time out. There's always a chance they recur...

Falls City Beer
05-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Jurrgens had blister issues his last time out. There's always a chance they recur...

This team literally can't score enough runs to keep up with the number that Fogg will surrender.

It's like a theorem or something.

membengal
05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
There's always a chance the entire Braves team could contract food poisoning...

reds44
05-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm going to predict Fogg wins today.

Ron Madden
05-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm going to predict Fogg wins today.

I wish nothing but the best of luck to Josh Fogg.

I'm just hoping the Reds can win in spite of Josh Fogg.

;)

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Take two of three from the Braves and I'll be happy. Then we head off to play four games at red hot Philadelphia - two of four there would be a big success. Then it's off to Florida for another four games series, again two of four should be the goal. That's a 4-4 road trip against two good teams. Then the Reds return home with a tough home stand, three against the Cardinals, three against the Red Sox, and three against the Dodgers. 5-4 needs to be the goal. That would put them at 36-38 going into Yankee Stadium.

Chip R
05-31-2008, 04:00 PM
There's always a chance the entire Braves team could contract food poisoning...

So you're saying there's a chance?

http://images.art.com/images/-/Jim-Carrey---Dumb-Dumber--C10102378.jpeg

Edskin
05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
13-8.

It's as if the Baseball Gods got together and said,

"OK, Reds fans, we've toyed with you enough. We give you.....Jay Bruce."

jojo
05-31-2008, 08:04 PM
13-8.

That's .620 ball. I wish they'd show a little more life but I'll settle for it..... :cool:

WebScorpion
06-01-2008, 05:23 PM
13-8.

We are 5-1 since the 18-inning heartbreaker. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
The Reds have a big eight game road trip coming up with four games in Philadelphia and four games in Florida against the Marlins. The Reds will be pitching Arroyo/Harang/Volquez/Bailey in the four games in Philly. A 4-4 road trip should be the goal, but the way I see it, if the Reds can win two of those four in Philly then they're sitting pretty because the Reds matchup pretty well with Florida. The Reds four best pitchers will pitch in Florida - Cueto on Friday, Arroyo Saturday, Harang on Sunday, followed by Volquez on Monday. The Marlins have one of the worst pitching staffs in the league so the Reds matchup pretty well. Again, two out of four and a 4-4 road trip would be great but the matchups are there for the Reds to possibly win three of four in Florida. Again, the first goal should be to split the series in Philly.

Edskin
06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
14-8.

We just might get this done!

jojo
06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
14-8.

We just might get this done!

The frustrating thing..... they were 7 games out on May 9th (22 games ago) and they now sit 8 games out despite nearly a month of .636 ball.......

Edskin
06-02-2008, 09:59 PM
14-9.

Gotta find a way to at least start treading water on the road....I do like the way we played tonight despite the loss though.

Falls City Beer
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
The frustrating thing..... they were 7 games out on May 9th (22 games ago) and they now sit 8 games out despite nearly a month of .636 ball.......

And the Cubs and Cards aren't getting any worse.

Edskin
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM

I am pretty much conceeding the Central to the Cubs. It's the Cubbies, so anything can happen of course, but I'll give them the division. I think our hope is to conted for the WC. My goal is simple: Steadily work our way into 2nd place in the division-- the rest will take care of itself.

fearofpopvol1
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Anyone know what the Reds record was at this time in 2006?

reds44
06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
The Reds were 22-35 after June 2nd last year.

Cyclone792
06-02-2008, 10:10 PM

They were 30-24 through June 2nd, 2006. They were in the midst of an eight game winning streak (game #2) on this date, on the road no less. They would make it all the way to 36-24 before imploding and losing eight of their next nine.

reds44
06-02-2008, 10:14 PM
They were 30-24 through June 2nd, 2006. They were in the midst of an eight game winning streak (game #2) on this date, on the road no less. They would make it all the way to 36-24 before imploding and losing eight of their next nine.
Oops. Clearly I don't know how to read.

fearofpopvol1
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Interesting. Thanks for that. So, if they can be at .500 by the end of June, they'll essentially be in the same spot they were in 2006 it sounds like?

Cyclone792
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Interesting. Thanks for that. So, if they can be at .500 by the end of June, they'll essentially be in the same spot they were in 2006 it sounds like?

Well, yes and no.

Through games of June 30th, 2006, the Reds were 44-36. They started July by proceeding to lose eight of their next nine again, and by the end of July 9th (the ASB) they were 45-44.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
The Reds just need to have a 4-4 road trip. I don't care how they do it....they can get swept in Philly and then sweep Florida for all care. Just win four of the eight games on this road trip. For them to get back over .500 and compete for a playoff spot they need to learn to win on the road. 0-1 is not a good way to start the trip but I sort of figured they would lose this game because Arroyo against the lefty heavy Philly lineup is a bad matchup.

Ron Madden
06-03-2008, 02:49 AM
No doubt the Reds road record does need to improve but...

Going into games played on 6-3-08 there are just three teams in all of MLB with winning road records.

I kinda agree with OBM that comming out of Philly and Florida 4-4 wouldn't be all that bad. After all the Marlins and Phills are pretty good teams. A split on this trip aint bad if we can make some hay against lesser teams.

The Reds need to win the majority of games played within their division from here on out, home and away.

mth123
06-03-2008, 06:09 AM
And the Cubs and Cards aren't getting any worse.

The Cubs current winning % projects to 102 wins. I think they'll come back to the pack a bit even if they are a 95 win team (and they could be, I disagreed with most of this board's naysayers over the winter).

The Cardinals just don't have the pitching IMO. I'd say .500 would be a good record for them. They'll hit a rough stretch at some point.

I don't think that the Reds can realistically compete with the Cubs this year, but playing as a dark horse in a psuedo wild card race would be good for this team's development. I maintain that the window is 2009 to 2011, but trying to win in 2008 is an important stepping stone IMO and if things break right, maybe they sneak in. The experience will be worthwhile in any event. The team should consider a record over .500 something they need to do and should be disappointed if they don't win at least 81 games. IMO 81 to 85 wins is a successful year for this team. I hope for an acquisition to fortify the roster a bit. These kids may wilt over a long season. A sell off is probably not a good idea but strategic deals of Griffey, Weathers and maybe Gonzalez, if he can come back and make himself attractive enough, to settle the team on the future is a good idea. Any other deals should be "win now" or "improve both teams" moves. I'm not in favor of dumping the farm for guys who only help down the stretch, but deals of solid pieces (EdE?) coupled with a kid or two to get other long term answers are probably needed.

Edskin
06-03-2008, 10:06 PM
14-10.

Aaargghhh....frustrating loss. I know people always tell me that you shouldn't mess with the approach that got a guy to the big leagues, but Phillips' approach often includes flat-out stupidity. He killed us tonight.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 10:49 PM
That is two very unfortunate losses for the Reds in Philly. They've held the powerful Philly offense to just eight runs in two games and are 0-2. That's pretty impressive considering the Phillies entered this series averaging 10.0 runs a game over their last seven games. If someone had told me the Reds would hold the Phillies to eight runs in the first two games and would be facing Kyle Kendrick and Adam Eaton, I would have thought the Reds would be 2-0 in this series as opposed to 0-2. Hopefully Volquez can throw a gem tomorrow and the offense can muster up enough runs to win the game. Tomorrow is a much needed win with Homer Bailey going against Cole Hamels on Thursday.

Falls City Beer
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
The Cubs current winning % projects to 102 wins. I think they'll come back to the pack a bit even if they are a 95 win team (and they could be, I disagreed with most of this board's naysayers over the winter).

The Cardinals just don't have the pitching IMO. I'd say .500 would be a good record for them. They'll hit a rough stretch at some point.

I don't think that the Reds can realistically compete with the Cubs this year, but playing as a dark horse in a psuedo wild card race would be good for this team's development. I maintain that the window is 2009 to 2011, but trying to win in 2008 is an important stepping stone IMO and if things break right, maybe they sneak in. The experience will be worthwhile in any event. The team should consider a record over .500 something they need to do and should be disappointed if they don't win at least 81 games. IMO 81 to 85 wins is a successful year for this team. I hope for an acquisition to fortify the roster a bit. These kids may wilt over a long season. A sell off is probably not a good idea but strategic deals of Griffey, Weathers and maybe Gonzalez, if he can come back and make himself attractive enough, to settle the team on the future is a good idea. Any other deals should be "win now" or "improve both teams" moves. I'm not in favor of dumping the farm for guys who only help down the stretch, but deals of solid pieces (EdE?) coupled with a kid or two to get other long term answers are probably needed.

I think the Cards' and Phillies' rotations are pretty similar; I think a lot of folks thought the Phils didn't have the pitching to contend this season, either.

In general, if you can avoid "the awful" in your rotation and you can play good defense, you'll win.

Both the Phils and Cards boast that formula and are decidedly winning.

WebScorpion
06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
14-10.

Aaargghhh....frustrating loss. I know people always tell me that you shouldn't mess with the approach that got a guy to the big leagues, but Phillips' approach often includes flat-out stupidity. He killed us tonight.

HA! I was thinking along the same lines. I thought if Brandon went up and watched every pitch without taking the bat off his shoulder, we would have won. He would have either walked or struck out, so Votto's single (1 out with 2 or 3 on, instead of 2 outs with 1 on) would have scored some runs. Hindsight is 20/20. ;)

Edskin
06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
BTW, we currently need to go 8-5 over our next 13 games to hit my goal. Certainly doesn't seem impossible, but some road wins would be nice :)

mth123
06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I think the Cards' and Phillies' rotations are pretty similar; I think a lot of folks thought the Phils didn't have the pitching to contend this season, either.

In general, if you can avoid "the awful" in your rotation and you can play good defense, you'll win.

Both the Phils and Cards boast that formula and are decidedly winning.

I like Wainright ok, but St. Louis can't match Philly's top two of Hamels and Myers. Wainright would be number 3 in Philly. Wellemeyer has been a big surprise, and I always thought he had a chance to be a good pitcher when he was with the Cubs. Maybe Duncan fixed him, but I'm not a believer at this point. I still don't trust Kyle Lohse. Looper is an OK 4 or 5 guy. I just think when these guys reach the 100 inning mark, they won't be looking so good anymore.

Edskin
06-05-2008, 07:46 AM
15-10.

Records don't mean as much to me right now as what my eyes see. And my eyes see a rapidly improving team with lots of promise. I'll certainly take that.

Edskin
06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
15-11.

Disappointed losing 3 of 4, but pretty happy with the WAY we played. Having said that, the pressure is now on to win 3 of 4 in Florida in order to call this a good road trip.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 04:28 PM
The Reds held the powerful Phillies offense to 13 runs - 10 earned - in four games and still lost three of four games. Very disappointing series by the Reds offense. They could have easily won three of four games in that series.

reds44
06-05-2008, 04:54 PM
The Reds can get 3 of 4 from Florida.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
The Reds can get 3 of 4 from Florida.

Pitching matchups favor the Reds in every game IMO, but three of four would be great.

oregonred
06-06-2008, 10:53 PM
16-11. Arroyo/Harang/Volquez the next three days.

Things are finally looking up in Redsland.

Edskin
06-08-2008, 12:24 AM
16-12.

Ouch. Talk about a painful loss. Just a horrible pitch there from Cordero.

OnBaseMachine
06-08-2008, 01:06 AM
16-12.

Ouch. Talk about a painful loss. Just a horrible pitch there from Cordero.

Another disappointing road trip so far at 2-4. If Cordero doesn't blow that save tonight then the Reds would be sitting pretty at 3-3 on this trip and only one game under .500 with Harang and Volquez pitching the next two games. What a heartbreaking loss...I don't think I'll be able to handle tomorrow's game. This is one of those losses I won't be able to forget, just like the one in San Diego.

jojo
06-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Another disappointing road trip so far at 2-4. If Cordero doesn't blow that save tonight then the Reds would be sitting pretty at 3-3 on this trip and only one game under .500 with Harang and Volquez pitching the next two games. What a heartbreaking loss...I don't think I'll be able to handle tomorrow's game. This is one of those losses I won't be able to forget, just like the one in San Diego.

Cheer up-we'll get to see Harang pitch today. In fact, if ya can take a step back and throttle your passion for the Reds just a bit, todays match up should be very, very entertaining. The Marlins have called up Tucker from AA so we'll get to see his debut.

As you know, the scouting report on Tucker is that he's a fiery guy with "stuff" i.e. a mid 90's fastball, a good change and a developing slider with "plus" potential (maybe it's gotten more consistent in Carolina this year or maybe his numbers just reflect a general improvement in his command?). He also throws a curve but I think the Fish have made him concentrate on the slider. He doesn't miss as many bets as you'd think he would on paper. I haven't seen him pitch this season but I can't wait to see how he does hopped up on adrenaline today...

He pitches inside with abandon so hopefully nobody will get plinked. Hopefully Harang will school him on the slider today.

The consummate professional vs the hot headed kid..... be there or be square.

:beerme:

Anyway, I'm cheesing today....I also get to see Bedard against the BoSox and Garza against the Rangers. Mano to mano.... bring it on baby.....

Edskin
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
16-13.

Could of used a "step up" performance from Harang, but instead he was putrid-- and he's been looking very, very ordinary lately.

No matter what we do tomorrow, this is already a disappointing road trip, but Edinson can keep it from being a total disaster. My goal of being at .500 after the Boston series looks shaky right now, but still not impossible.

oregonred
06-08-2008, 04:55 PM
16-11. Arroyo/Harang/Volquez the next three days.

Things are finally looking up in Redsland.

Then again maybe not. That was a killer last night that fed into today's mail it in performance from Harang and the offense.

Too much Sat night partying on South Beach?

jojo
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Too much Sat night partying on South Beach?

I blame it on the water...they carbonate it down there. :cool:

Edskin
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
17-13.

Mildly disappointing trip, but nothing disasterous. VERY tough stretch coming up.

REDREAD
06-10-2008, 01:09 PM
17-13.

Mildly disappointing trip, but nothing disasterous. VERY tough stretch coming up.

I was happy to split with the Marlins.. Of course, it could always be better, but I came into the series hoping for a split.

I'm hoping we can play close to 500 during this tough stretch coming up, and then play above 500 when we play in our division.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Cardinals, Red Sox, and Dodgers come to town for nine games. I'm hoping for 5-4 at the least. 6-3 would be awesome.

jojo
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Cardinals, Red Sox, and Dodgers come to town for nine games. I'm hoping for 5-4 at the least. 6-3 would be awesome.

I could see the Reds winning every series. I could see them losing every one too though.

It should be a fun stand.

fearofpopvol1
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I could see the Reds winning every series. I could see them losing every one too though.

It should be a fun stand.

Me too. For some reason, I feel like this Griffey hitting 600 thing is going to provide the team with another unspoken boost.

Then again, they're going to hit good pitchers who may shut them down.

reds44
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm very afraid of this being the homestand that takes us from the young team hanging around .500, to just a really bad team.

I guess we will find out.

OnBaseMachine
06-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm just about to come to realization that this team is going no where this season. There are just too many awful players on this team right now. I like the direction the pitching is going in...but the offense is very frustrating to watch. There are just too many guys that seem to have no idea at the plate. I like Brandon Phillips but he has some of the worst atbats you will see by a major leaguer. Like tonight, the pitcher Boggs had thrown around 11 or 12 straight pitches out of the strikezone so Phillips decides to help him out by getting jammed on a pitch inside. And then with runners on first and second and only one and a 2-0 count on Bako, he check swings and grounds out on a 2-0 pitch ankle height. The offense is just terribly inconsistent. Mitchell Boggs was nothing short of awful tonight and they only managed two runs in five innings off him.

Edskin
06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
17-14.

Not a surprising loss-- seems to always happen on the first game of a homestand following a road trip. But we are on the verge of more or less blowing that hot streak we had. We REALLY need to win these next two, but much like OBM, I feel it's becoming pretty obvious that this is a team with no chance to truly contend in 2008.

Edskin
06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
17-15.

Calling this one early. Looks like we are heading back to the mean at an alarming rate :) Baseball has a tendency to do that to you-- it would be nice to defy the odds for once though.

Anyway, at this point, I still think this particular group of Reds is worth watching, but that may not last too much longer. Gotta win the next 4 to hit my "goal." Honestly, I'm surprised we still even have a mathematical shot at it.

Edskin
06-13-2008, 01:31 AM
18-15.

Jared Burton has turned into quite the weapon. Corey Patterson has not.

jojo
06-13-2008, 06:42 AM
When this thread started 33 games ago, the Reds were 6 games out of the wild card.

They've since played .546 ball. It's been at times frustrating but overall fun baseball.

It's also been the nail in the contention coffin.

They've played at an amazing .546 clip (a winning percentage that equates to 89 wins over a full season which would surpass most expectations I think). Unfortunately, five teams withing their OWN division have posted better records during the same period.

They now sit 9 games out of the wild card.

Yes, despite playing .546 baseball for over a month, they've dropped 3 games in the WC race.

Assuming St Louis plays .500 the rest of the way, the Reds would have to play something like .610 ball for almost 100 games to surpass them while hoping no club above them also catches fire.

If you're just beginning to think the Reds might not be going anywhere this season, here's an out-you don't have to feel guilty because the die was cast last April.

I admire your passion though.

Edskin
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
19-15.

The dream lives for another day...win the next two and we hit the mark!

Mario-Rijo
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
When this thread started 33 games ago, the Reds were 6 games out of the wild card.

They've since played .546 ball. It's been at times frustrating but overall fun baseball.

It's also been the nail in the contention coffin.

They've played at an amazing .546 clip (a winning percentage that equates to 89 wins over a full season which would surpass most expectations I think). Unfortunately, five teams withing their OWN division have posted better records during the same period.

They now sit 9 games out of the wild card.

Yes, despite playing .546 baseball for over a month, they've dropped 3 games in the WC race.

Assuming St Louis plays .500 the rest of the way, the Reds would have to play something like .610 ball for almost 100 games to surpass them while hoping no club above them also catches fire.

If you're just beginning to think the Reds might not be going anywhere this season, here's an out-you don't have to feel guilty because the die was cast last April.

I admire your passion though.

The good news however is that this team unlike some of it's counterparts (houston, stl, pitt) still has a relatively decent upside. I think it's clear that while we still haven't really hit our stride everyone else has. Although whether that happens or not is the question. Especially if Walt pulls off a couple of solid deals coupled with a reasonably mediocre schedule.

jojo
06-13-2008, 11:21 PM
The good news however is that this team unlike some of it's counterparts (houston, stl, pitt) still has a relatively decent upside. I think it's clear that while we still haven't really hit our stride everyone else has. Although whether that happens or not is the question. Especially if Walt pulls off a couple of solid deals coupled with a reasonably mediocre schedule.

I just think it's unrealistic to expect the Reds to play .550 ball for 100 games.

AmarilloRed
06-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I think we need to set our sights a little bit more realistically. 9 games out of the Wild Card is a long way to go, especially when he have to play better than a number of teams. I will be satisfied with a winning record this year,especially since it's been a while since we had one. We are now at 33-36, 3 games under .500. I want to see the Reds go 82-80. We simply need to go 49-44 the rest of the season, and I think that should be doable with the talent the Reds have.

fearofpopvol1
06-14-2008, 01:19 AM
For the "glass half-full" folks, the Reds gained a game on every team in the division tonight as the Reds were the only team to win in the Central this evening.

A Reds win tomorrow and a Pirates and Astros loss would put the Reds at 4th place in the Central, if you can believe that.

Edskin
06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
19-16.

As Cordero watches Lincoln implode.......

Mario-Rijo
06-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I just think it's unrealistic to expect the Reds to play .550 ball for 100 games.

Not to be snarky but who does? I don't expect this version of the Red's to do anything more than .500 until mid-august and then drop off. But if you can add a couple of pieces by taking on some $$$'s and trading away only marginal talent then they have a chance with their youth to be a W/C contender.

jojo
06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Not to be snarky but who does? I don't expect this version of the Red's to do anything more than .500 until mid-august and then drop off. But if you can add a couple of pieces by taking on some $$$'s and trading away only marginal talent then they have a chance with their youth to be a W/C contender.

This thread is devoted to discussing the Reds playoff chances.

I'm just not seeing the Reds taking on contracts others are trying to dump any more than I'm seeing them play ball that is consistently above .500.

Edskin
06-15-2008, 05:05 PM
19-17.

And this thread dies with a whimper..........Actually it was the most "successful" Game Tracker we've had to date.

My stated goal was 22-15.

We finished 19-17. There was a rainout mixed in.

If we would have hit the goal, we'd be at .500 right now.

Instead, over this 37 game stretch we made a slight improvement from 7 games under .500 to 5 games under .500

My goal was never to "make" the playoffs. My goal was to simply keep some hope alive and try to remain relevant for 2008.

If we continue the 19-17 pace for the rest of the year, we would finish right at .500 for the season, which most of us would consider a mild success and probably provide some hope for the future.

So, while I'm not doing cartwheels about our progress in the Tracker this year, I am at least still interested in the Reds on June 15th.

jojo
06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
19-17.

And this thread dies with a whimper..........Actually it was the most "successful" Game Tracker we've had to date.

My stated goal was 22-15.

We finished 19-17. There was a rainout mixed in.

If we would have hit the goal, we'd be at .500 right now.

Instead, over this 37 game stretch we made a slight improvement from 7 games under .500 to 5 games under .500

My goal was never to "make" the playoffs. My goal was to simply keep some hope alive and try to remain relevant for 2008.

If we continue the 19-17 pace for the rest of the year, we would finish right at .500 for the season, which most of us would consider a mild success and probably provide some hope for the future.

So, while I'm not doing cartwheels about our progress in the Tracker this year, I am at least still interested in the Reds on June 15th.

I think it's easier to argue that the Reds are building toward something this year. Whether or not it's just a mirage due to the promotion of the big four or reality probably remains to be seen.

The FO hasn't moved in a direction that I'd prefer (ala the Indians for example) but Jocketty will definitely get a chance to mold the roster during the next 9 months.