PDA

View Full Version : Possible Free Agents for 2009

redlegs2370
05-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Not that I have given up hope for 2008 but thought it was interesting looking at the possible right handed bats that will be available via free agency next year.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

tommycash
05-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Not that I have given up hope for 2008 but thought it was interesting looking at the possible right handed bats that will be available via free agency next year.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

I would like to see Carl Crawford in a Red's Uniform.

schmidty622
05-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Its an incredibly weak class. I'd go after Pat Burrell if they were to let Dunn walk but thats about it in terms of adressing the offense. Maybe Furcal if Gonzo is gone. Then Kepp could move to left.

I would take a hard look at Derek Lowe simply because his GB/FB ratio would make him real nice at Great American. Other than that no pitchers excite me either. At least none in the Reds price range.

thorn
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
IF Dunn and Griffey are gone, and we assume Bruce is in RF, some bats I would be looking for to get therough the next couple of years are: Kotsay, Rivera, Mench, Brown, Jones and Encarnacion. If you looking for 3-5 year guys, then I agree, not much there except Crawford.

NorrisHopper30
05-09-2008, 06:52 PM
TB accepted Crawford's option (if I recall correctly?), I think he'll be a Ray till the off-season after '08-'09.

And yes, I'd love to get Crawford, he's one of my favorite players in the MLB.

jmac
05-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Of course,let us not forget while we think free-agents, Jocketty could be thinking big trade ( like Big Mac,Rolen).

ChatterRed
05-10-2008, 03:54 AM
I throw alot of money at a guy like Pat Burell. Solid numbers and averages like 155 games played per year. Plus, his numbers would probably improve playing in GABP, atleast his power numbers would. A good RH bat to offset our LH lineup. Stick Bruce in RF, and figure out what to do in CF or sign somebody.

John Lackey isn't a flashy name, but if the Reds are still in the market for another starter, he has had 4 straight winning seasons while pitching around 200+ innings in each. Nothing special, but better than most.

Derek Lowe is not the pitcher he was in his best years in Boston, but he's another solid guy. But he turns 35 on June 1st.

The Reds could sign Mike Mussina for the 5th spot in the rotation. He turns 40 in December. ;) Actually, compared to alot of teams #5 guy, his numbers aren't that bad, even at his age.

30 year old Brad Penny? Another guy with decent stats. Nothing flashy.

Ben Sheets? Dream on.

tommycash
05-10-2008, 10:06 AM
TB accepted Crawford's option (if I recall correctly?), I think he'll be a Ray till the off-season after '08-'09.

And yes, I'd love to get Crawford, he's one of my favorite players in the MLB.

That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoReds33
05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I would love having Carl Crawford. When was the last time the Reds had a true leadoff man that could play everyday?

Astrobuddy
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Crawford isnt a true leadoff. He doesnt get on base enough. His 2008 OBP is below .300 and his career OBP is .330.

With his talent, his career to this point would have to be called a disapointment.

Go get him...

freestyle55
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I throw alot of money at a guy like Pat Burell. Solid numbers and averages like 155 games played per year. Plus, his numbers would probably improve playing in GABP, atleast his power numbers would. A good RH bat to offset our LH lineup. Stick Bruce in RF, and figure out what to do in CF or sign somebody.

Other than the fact that he´s righthanded, what about being Adam Dunn for more money make you interested in Pat Burrell...you realize they´re the same player just flipped around the batter´s box, right?

mroby85
05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
i would hate to see pat burrell brought in personally.

GoReds33
05-10-2008, 03:02 PM
i would hate to see pat burrell brought in personally.If he was brought in to be a starter, I would agree with you. The only way I would want him would be if he would platoon with Dickerson in left.

Oxilon
05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I would be highly opposed to bring in Burrell as well. As somebody whose watched him the past few years, he's just cashing in on his contract year. Whoever signs him next season is going to regret it. Oh, not to mention the guy is a complete drunk.

tommycash
05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Crawford isnt a true leadoff. He doesnt get on base enough. His 2008 OBP is below .300 and his career OBP is .330.

With his talent, his career to this point would have to be called a disapointment.

Go get him...

Can you name 10 "true" leadoff hitters in the majors with a OBP better than .330? Crawford is like 110 on the active leaders list in career OBP, but I can't find too many "true" leadoff hitters with a better OBP. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Jimmy Rollins is right ahead of him. Is he a "disapointment" too. And Crawford is only 26. Not everyone can be Rickey Henderson. Give the guy a break. Ichiro, Luis Castillo, Johnny Damon, Furcal, Ray Durham, Juan Pierre, Julio Lugo, and Jimmy Rollins are all guys I would call legitimate lead off hitters (as guys who have been historically leading off) that appear in front of Crawford. Damon and Durham are over the hill, Ichiro and Rollins have no chance ever at becomming Reds, Furcal and Lugo are good, Castillo is starting to fade (speedwise). When you look at him after saying that, he could be one of the best lead off hitters in the league. Maybe I am wrong.

tommycash
05-10-2008, 11:23 PM

Go get him...

Can you name 10 "true" leadoff hitters in the majors with a OBP better than .330? Crawford is like 110 on the active leaders list in career OBP, but I can't find too many "true" leadoff hitters with a better OBP. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

tommycash
05-10-2008, 11:29 PM
And another thing about Crawford, his last 2 seasons he has been a very good leadoff hitter. His OBP was .348 2 years ago, and .355 last year. He has been an All-Star twice and got MVP votes a couple of years ago.

BEETTLEBUG
05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I think Crawford would be OK also what about one of the Perez's Oliver or Odalis?

Rounding Third
05-11-2008, 11:27 AM
For a bunch of people who hate Adam Dunn, why do you want Pat Burrell? He is the same thing except he hits less home runs and less walks. He is making $13MM this year, how much do you think he will fetch in free agency? We would be better off just keeping Dunn.

If Dunn goes and we have a spot in right field I look at Juan Rivera. He is the 5th outfielder for the LAA, but could start for just about any team. He is a right handed bat, is only making $2MM this year and could play left field.

His last season with regular playing time, 2006 (07 he had a broken leg) he put up these numbers in 124 games.

.310/.362/.525
23 Home Runs 23 Doubles 87 RBIs
126 OPS+ .887 OPS

I figure he is worth a shot for a much lower price than somebody like Burrell.

Newman4
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
For a bunch of people who hate Adam Dunn, why do you want Pat Burrell?

He's right-handed and OPS .986 against LHP from 05-07. I agree he may be too expensive and will be 32 next season, but he would balance out the LH bats nicely. With the lack of RH bats off the bench, I don't understand why Jock didn't pick up Kevin Mench who just got traded for "cash considerations"

Newman4
05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
John Lackey isn't a flashy name, but if the Reds are still in the market for another starter, he has had 4 straight winning seasons while pitching around 200+ innings in each. Nothing special, but better than most.

30 year old Brad Penny? Another guy with decent stats. Nothing flashy.

Ben Sheets? Dream on.

Lackey and Penny both have relatively cheap options (9 million and 8.75, respectively). I would assume the clubs would pick those up being the price of quality starting pitching.

As for Sheets, how much do you think he will cost?

TN Red Fan
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd give Teixeira $20-25 million/year and move Votto to LF.

Dump some dead weight like Gonzo and Arroyo and you can afford it.

Rounding Third
05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
He's right-handed and OPS .986 against LHP from 05-07. I agree he may be too expensive and will be 32 next season, but he would balance out the LH bats nicely. With the lack of RH bats off the bench, I don't understand why Jock didn't pick up Kevin Mench who just got traded for "cash considerations"

Indeed he is right handed. But like you said, wrong side of 30 and $$$. Also agree about Mench.

I'd give Teixeira $20-25 million/year and move Votto to LF.

Dump some dead weight like Gonzo and Arroyo and you can afford it.

Texeira is due for a big payday and I doubt it will be in Cincinnati. And how are you going to get rid of Gonzo and Arroyo and get rid of their money?

TN Red Fan
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Texeira is due for a big payday and I doubt it will be in Cincinnati. And how are you going to get rid of Gonzo and Arroyo and get rid of their money?

Gonzo could be dumped on STL if he ever gets healthy. They have nothing at SS and nothing on the way.

Arroyo could go to a contender at the deadline. His contract's not so ugly for a big-market team, and he did have a nice game recently. He only needs to turn things around slightly to be attractive. Regardless, you don't even need to do that. Dunn, Griffey, and Gonzo alone = $25 million.

TN Red Fan
05-11-2008, 01:11 PM
How about Dunn and Weathers to LA for Willits, Gonzo to STL, buyout Griffey and sign Teixeira. Gives you this in '09...

Willits, CF
Keppinger, SS
Bruce, RF
Teixeira, 1B
Votto, LF
Phillips, 2B
Encarnacion, 3B
Ross, C

...I may be dreaming, but it's not bad.

05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
How about Dunn and Weathers to LA for Willits, Gonzo to STL, buyout Griffey and sign Teixeira. Gives you this in '09...

Willits, CF
Keppinger, SS
Bruce, RF
Teixeira, 1B
Votto, LF
Phillips, 2B
Encarnacion, 3B
Ross, C

Have to get rid of someone like Arroyo too for that to happen. Teixeira will take a 5 year $100M contract to land. Getting rid of Dunn and Griffey only really pays for the raises that Arroyo, Harang, Phillips and Cordero get next year.

I like the Dunn for Willits trade, however. Smart for both teams and both players.

TN Red Fan
05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Getting rid of Dunn and Griffey only really pays for the raises that Arroyo, Harang, Phillips and Cordero get next year.

Wouldn't losing Patterson, Stanton, Castro, Weathers and Gonzo would cover them?

redsfanmia
05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I would like to see the Reds try to trade for two Pirate outfielders in Xavier Nady and a youngster in AAA named Andrew McCutchen. Nady is a good righthanded stick and McCutchen is a fast lead off hitter type with some pop.

NorrisHopper30
05-11-2008, 06:52 PM

Go get him...That's a laughable post, he's one of the best leadoff men in the MLB.

Astrobuddy
05-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I guess in todays MLB a .300 OBP is one of the best.

WOW.

Blue
05-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Willits, CF
Keppinger, SS
Bruce, RF
Teixeira, 1B
Votto, LF
Phillips, 2B
Encarnacion, 3B
Ross, C

That deal for Willits would be just awful. Considering the draft pick compensation we'd get if we offered them arbitration and let them walk in the offseason, they should bring a lot more than that.

05-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I guess in todays MLB a .300 OBP is one of the best.

WOW.

1) Strawmen don't play well on RZ, even here in the Sun Deck.

2) Crawford had OBPs of .348 and .355 the last two years. Add in his 50 stolen bases a year at an 82% rate, and that's like adding 12 points to his OBP in terms of run production. .360 OBP is pretty good.

3) He is not a leadoff hitter. He hits mostly in the in the two and three slot.

05-11-2008, 09:12 PM
That deal for Willits would be just awful. Considering the draft pick compensation we'd get if we offered them arbitration and let them walk in the offseason, they should bring a lot more than that.

No way a supplemental pick or two is going to be better than Willits, and Willits addresses a huge need for the Reds right now, CF and leadoff hitter. The only reason he is not playing for the Angels is that they have two CF's who they just spent a ton of money on.

Trades are not judged by talent, but by how the improve the team. Dunn for Willits improves the team, even if Dunn has better stats than Willits.

Trace's Daddy
05-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I'd like to see them keep Dunn, let Jr. go, put Bruce in right, and sign Carl Crawford to play center.

Blue
05-11-2008, 09:50 PM
You're talking about two supplemental picks plus a possible 1st or second round pick. That's a good deal of value for a guy that is basically Ryan Freel with a better OBP (in less than 600 ABs). You're trading that plus 2-3 months of Dunn and Weathers. I think they should bring more. If not, we should hold them and use the extra picks to create depth on the farm which we can deal from.

Rounding Third
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Willits, CF
Keppinger, SS
Bruce, RF
Teixeira, 1B
Votto, LF
Phillips, 2B
Encarnacion, 3B
Ross, C

Why would the Angels want another outfielder and a 39 year old reliever?

I would like to see the Reds try to trade for two Pirate outfielders in Xavier Nady and a youngster in AAA named Andrew McCutchen. Nady is a good righthanded stick and McCutchen is a fast lead off hitter type with some pop.

I doubt the Pirates are willing to get rid of one of their best prospects. Target Jason Bay who is in a contract year I believe, maybe the pirates can't afford him.

TN Red Fan
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Why would the Angels want another outfielder and a 39 year old reliever?

For a playoff run.

Gary Matthews and Adam Dunn aren't in the same league as a DH (career .900 OPS vs. career .750 steroid-aided for Matthews), and lefty protection for Guerrero to boot. He should be very attractive to them. Weathers is a toss-in, I guess, figuring you can't have enough relievers. Willits is extra parts for them.

TN Red Fan
05-12-2008, 08:35 AM
You're talking about two supplemental picks plus a possible 1st or second round pick. That's a good deal of value for a guy that is basically Ryan Freel with a better OBP (in less than 600 ABs). You're trading that plus 2-3 months of Dunn and Weathers. I think they should bring more. If not, we should hold them and use the extra picks to create depth on the farm which we can deal from.

Willits is legitimate .400 OBP man. Look at his #s in the minors. Plus, you have to factor immediate impact. You have a 5 to 6-year window with Bruce, Votto, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Phillips, etc. Plus Harang, EE, and Cordero are even less on their deals. There's no time to wait on draft picks.

Hondo
05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok, I got a plan.

#1 Offseason Free Agent Target

Jason Varitek

He is Older, but a Winner who could help the Pitchers and Provide Leadershop to the WHOLE Team...

Kyle Farnsworth

The guy is a Big Time Power Right hander and would be a perfect addition to the bullpen...

dougflynn23
05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
A very weak FA class once you factor out the guys (Teixeira, Crawford) that won't be coming here. If it were my job, I'd do the following. Let Dunn walk, decline the Griffey option, sign Hank Blalock to play 3B and move Edwin Encarnacion to LF.

Blue
05-24-2008, 03:46 AM
Keep Dunn. Sign Orlando Hudson. Phillips to SS. Keppinger to 3B (depending on whether EE snaps out of it). Its bold, but I think it would work and pay big dividends.

RF - Jay Bruce
Catcher - trade
CF - Mark Kotsay if he continues to OPS about .750 with a .340ish OBP
SP - the good free agents will be divided between the Mets and Yankees, look for an internal solution and hope for a Cueto breakthrough. Adding some RF, SS, and possibly C defense will help a great deal.
RP - good foundation is there. look internally. maybe Juan Cruz

A lot will change. Hudson and Kotsay could be locked up by their current teams by November. I don't expect Jocketty to be a spectator this offseason. I see a lot of moves. If the Mariners were to give us someone for Griffey who can start for us, it would help a great deal. I'd like to take a chance on Jeremy Reed, which might not be asking too much of them.

ChatterRed
05-24-2008, 03:52 AM
I'd move EE to 1B and move Votto to LF before I moved EE to the outfield. Atleast Votto spent quite a bit of time playing some OF last year.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't even know why this team needs Edwin... The guy doesn't produce enough to be a Third Baseman, and the team is going to need a Centerfielder that can hit when Dunn gets resigned.