PDA

View Full Version : Will the Reds get swept at Shea?

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Fri: Belisle Vs. Pelfrey
Sat: Arroyo Vs. Santana
Sun: Cueto Vs. Perez

What do you think??

Obviously, anything can happen in a given game. I hope they don't, but these matchups don't favor the Reds, especially Fri & Sat. Each of the Mets' starters has better ERAs than that of their Reds counterpart. Interestingly, the Mets offense has been slumping pretty badly. However, the one thing that is very consistent is those Mets players get on base.

It'll be interesting as well to see if they even play these games. It's been raining all day in NY (and slated to continue this evening) and it's supposed to rain tomorrow too.

Edskin
05-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll predict we lose Fri and Sat and win Sunday--finally give Harang some runs to work with.

The Sat. game is as close to an automatic loss as it gets in MLB w/ that pitching match-up. Tonight's game is probably the one we need to "steal" if we're going to win the series.

Red in Chicago
05-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I'll predict we lose Fri and Sat and win Sunday--finally give Harang some runs to work with.

The Sat. game is as close to an automatic loss as it gets in MLB w/ that pitching match-up. Tonight's game is probably the one we need to "steal" if we're going to win the series.

Bronson in a day game is not likely to be pretty. Though against the Mets, he hasn't faired that badly in the past handful of years. (small sample size of course).

KoryMac5
05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I would say judging the matchups that the Reds could possibly take two of these games. Pelfrey has given up 15 runs in 15 innings his last three starts, and Perez is forever inconsistent. I would say our chances with them are good if the offense finds its groove.

NJReds
05-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Pelfrey and Perez have been inconsistent, although Perez could give the free-swinging Reds fits. Wait him out and he'll walk the ballpark.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
As anemic as the Mets offense has been, they're poised for a breakout and I see no reason why the Reds pitching won't help facilitate that.

And even though Pelfrey and Perez have struggled, the Reds offense (especially with their free swinging ways) may make them look like all stars.

REDREAD
05-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I haven't given up hope, but I see a high probably we will lose 2 or 3 games in this series. The first two are almost a given that we will lose (Saying that, hoping the Reds will make me eat my words).

I don't expect Belisle to make it past the 5th inning.

Highlifeman21
05-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd say this series is one that could go either way.

We won't sweep them, but we could take games 1 and 3. Of course, we could also get swept, or lose 2 of 3. If the Cueto who isn't in love with his slider shows up, and throws his changeup more, then we could easily win game 3.

Game 1, honestly a coin flip. We don't know which Belisle we're getting on the mound so far in 2008, and Pelfrey's also been inconsistent.

As for Game 2, it's very possible we could see history, in the form of a perfect game or a no-hitter. Let's root for some history, shall we?

Chip R
05-09-2008, 05:16 PM

Way to go out on a limb there. ;)

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Maybe Johan will have a sucky day :D

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Game one is winnable. Pelfrey is inconsistent, depends on which Reds offense shows up and whether Matt gives the Reds a chance.

Game two. What can you say. Maybe Volquez could match Santana but Arroyo in a day game and this offense against Johann. Nuff said.

Game Three. Harang > Perez. Back to that offense. Is this the game they give Aaron some love?

Really, two of three is very possible. If the Reds are going to start a turnaround now would be a good time.

PuffyPig
05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
And even though Pelfrey and Perez have struggled, the Reds offense (especially with their free swinging ways) may make them look like all stars.

8th in walks, and 14th in K's (in the NL), suggest that they aren't as free swinging as most think.

PuffyPig
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Pelfry has actually pitched much worse.

And Belise is getting better each game.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure why people keep referring to Harang pitching on Sunday against Perez. He's not pitching this weekend, at least according to the probables. It's Cueto going on Sunday and Harang goes on Monday.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2008, 06:09 PM
The Reds are capable of getting swept anywhere at any time.

I know folks like to trot out the "yeah, but anybody can get swept--it happens to all teams" stuff; I'd submit that really good teams just don't let it happen. Not teams that matter anyway.

The Red Sox, for example, would never in a million years, in a thousand series played, get swept by the Pirates. It would be impossible.

But the Reds could be swept by anyone, any number of times.

Yet another nebulous barometer of a crummy squad.

backbencher
05-09-2008, 06:21 PM
The Reds are capable of getting swept anywhere at any time.

I know folks like to trot out the "yeah, but anybody can get swept--it happens to all teams" stuff; I'd submit that really good teams just don't let it happen. Not teams that matter anyway.

The Red Sox, for example, would never in a million years, in a thousand series played, get swept by the Pirates. It would be impossible.

But the Reds could be swept by anyone, any number of times.

Yet another nebulous barometer of a crummy squad.

The Bosox have been swept by the Blue Jays and the Rays already this year.

Perhaps they don't matter.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2008, 06:22 PM
The Bosox have been swept by the Blue Jays and the Rays already this year.

Perhaps they don't matter.

Jays and Rays aren't dogmeat.

Edit: I should amend my post to say that "teams that matter don't get swept by teams that don't matter."

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Hmmm. The Red Sox and Yanks were both swept 5 times last year. The Cards were swept 10 times. Already the Red Sox have swept twice this year. Really good teams do let it happen. Just not as often.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Hmmm. The Red Sox and Yanks were both swept 5 times last year. The Cards were swept 10 times. Already the Red Sox have swept twice this year. Really good teams do let it happen. Just not as often.

The Cards didn't matter all that much last season.

PuffyPig
05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
The Cards didn't matter all that much last season.

That's not the tune you were singing last year.

And in 2006, the world series winning Cards were swept 11 times, including twice by each of the last place Cubs, the Reds and Houston. With the Pirates also completing a sweep, only the Brewers failed in the Central to sweep the Cards.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
That's not the tune you were singing last year.

It wasn't his tune to start this season either. It's only that tune when the Cards are winning.

Falls City Beer
05-09-2008, 07:36 PM
It wasn't his tune to start this season either. It's only that tune when the Cards are winning.

Oddly, I thought the Reds might be better than the Cards (and Brewers) this season. That's shaping up to be way wrong. Well, they might still end up better than the Brewers.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Oddly, I thought the Reds might be better than the Cards (and Brewers) this season. That's shaping up to be way wrong. Well, they might still end up better than the Brewers.

I agree. I think the Brewers may finish last or 2nd to last in the division.