PDA

View Full Version : Padres release Edmonds

Reds Fanatic
05-09-2008, 05:26 PM
George must be in mourning the Padres have released Jim Edmonds.

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres decided to sever ties with Jim Edmonds on Friday, releasing the 37-year-old, eight-time Gold Glove winner after he struggled offensively and defensively during the first month of the season.
"It's just not happening for him statistically," Padres manager Bud Black said Thursday before a 5-4 loss to the Braves ended a 2-7 road trip, leaving the reeling Padres with a 12-23 record and in last place in the National League West.

Edmonds, 37, was hitting just .178 with 24 strikeouts in 90 at-bats. He had just six hits in his last 55 at-bats. He wasn't in the starting lineup on Thursday in Atlanta, but appeared in the game as part of a double-switch, grounding out in his only at-bat.

The Padres have recalled outfielder Jody Gerut from Triple-A Portland to take Edmonds' spot on the 25-man roster. Gerut, who made the Padres' Opening Day roster out of Spring Training, was hitting .308 with five home runs and 18 RBIs in 27 games.

Ltlabner
05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/grande_george.jpg

Somewhere right now, this man needs a hug.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I have to chuckle....

Must.

:lol:

NJReds
05-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Maybe the Reds can hire Jimbo as an analyst and he can work with George. :eek:

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 05:31 PM
I wonder if Edmonds did handstands summersaults while packing up his things?

dabvu2498
05-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I know it's in vogue to make fun of Edmonds around here, but the guy was a damn good ballplayer for a long time.

Career OPS: .903

Chip R
05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Wasn't there a discussion on here a few years ago about if he was a HOFer or was that Pujols?

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I know it's in vogue to make fun of Edmonds around here, but the guy was a damn good ballplayer for a long time.

Yes he was.

Still doesn't make him any less of an arrogant showboat...at least on the field. No idea what he's like off of the field

Cyclone792
05-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Wasn't there a discussion on here a few years ago about if he was a HOFer or was that Pujols?

I seem to remember a discussion on Edmonds, because I seem to remember being one of the few who thinks Edmonds is a legit HOFer.

And I still do think Edmonds is a legit HOFer. Compare him historically to the game's HOF center fielders, and Edmonds is way up there ... further up there than people want to admit.

Chip R
05-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Maybe the Reds can hire Jimbo as an analyst and he can work with George. :eek:

And open up George and the Reds to a sexual harassment lawsuit? No thank you.

MrCinatit
05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
And open up George and the Reds to a sexual harassment lawsuit? No thank you.

Yeah, I don't even want to think of the sounds we could be hearing from the booth.
Poor Chris would be beside himself, in a sense.

dabvu2498
05-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I seem to remember a discussion on Edmonds, because I seem to remember being one of the few who thinks Edmonds is a legit HOFer.

And I still do think Edmonds is a legit HOFer. Compare him historically to the game's HOF center fielders, and Edmonds is way up there ... further up there than people want to admit.

I just looked up his age comps on b-r. Surprisingly only one of them is a HOFer. Willie Stargell.

His #1 comp is Ellis Burks, who, after looking at his numbers, had a heck of alot better career than i ever realized.

Other comps:
Fred Lynn
Tim Salmon
Reggie Smith
Andres Galarraga
Bobby Bonilla
Gil Hodges
Bob Johnson
Larry Walker

NC Reds
05-09-2008, 05:59 PM
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/images/uploads/grande_george.jpg

Somewhere right now, this man needs a hug.

George is on the frowning side of the scoreboard tonight.

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I hope Jocketty doesn't remember Jim.

Cyclone792
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
I just looked up his age comps on b-r. Surprisingly only one of them is a HOFer. Willie Stargell.

His #1 comp is Ellis Burks, who, after looking at his numbers, had a heck of alot better career than i ever realized.

Other comps:
Fred Lynn
Tim Salmon
Reggie Smith
Andres Galarraga
Bobby Bonilla
Gil Hodges
Bob Johnson
Larry Walker

Fred Lynn's a good comp, and a guy I believe was/is underrated. Many of those other guys were corner outfielders or first basemen though. Edmonds' career as a corner outfielder or first baseman would fall short of the Hall, but put him in center with decent defense and it's a different beast. It's difficult to find say ... 15 center fielders in the game's history who were greater than Jim Edmonds, and if Edmonds is among the top 15 then it's tough to argue against his HOF creds.

I look at it like this ... center fielders can be divided into groups. First, you've got the top tier ...

Cobb
Mays
Speaker
Mantle
DiMaggio
Charleston (Negro Leagues)

Then two guys in the second tier ...

Snider
Griffey

Seven major leaguers and one Negro Leaguer. Now let's see if anybody can name seven more center fielders who were all undeniably greater than Jim Edmonds.

It's tough, very tough.

Marc D
05-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone have the address we can send sympathy cards/flowers to George?

Chip R
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't think he really recovered from that concussion. Those head injuries can really mess you up.

Matt700wlw
05-09-2008, 07:12 PM
...ask Farney

top6
05-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I never liked him, but I bet he will get some HOF looks - especially if there aren't any whispers about steroids.

He also made the best defensive play I've ever seen.

redsfan4445
05-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I heard a few years ago that the Reds could have had Edmonds straight up for Brett Tomko.. but that was when he was young and Leather pants balked..If he would have been here wonder if he would have been traded for Jr? or would have Jr even been here.. Anyway im a Jr fan and im glad how it worked out..(except for the injuries)

Blitz Dorsey
05-09-2008, 10:36 PM
"Leather pants" ... that never gets old.

Hey Edmonds, have fun at the nursing home. Never liked that guy. Obvious 'roid user, always killed the Reds. That was enough for me.

oneupper
05-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Gee...a former All-Star CF falling off a cliff in his late 30s...

It happens, all the reason to be more worried about Jr.'s 2008.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Fred Lynn's a good comp, and a guy I believe was/is underrated. Many of those other guys were corner outfielders or first basemen though. Edmonds' career as a corner outfielder or first baseman would fall short of the Hall, but put him in center with decent defense and it's a different beast. It's difficult to find say ... 15 center fielders in the game's history who were greater than Jim Edmonds, and if Edmonds is among the top 15 then it's tough to argue against his HOF creds.

I look at it like this ... center fielders can be divided into groups. First, you've got the top tier ...

Cobb
Mays
Speaker
Mantle
DiMaggio

Snider
Griffey

Seven major leaguers and one Negro Leaguer. Now let's see if anybody can name seven more center fielders who were all undeniably greater than Jim Edmonds.

It's tough, very tough.

Just throwing some names out there. These are some guys Bill James likes, outside of the standard - Mays, Cobb, Mantle, Speaker, DiMaggio, Snider, and Griffey. I don't think anyone comes close to Edmunds offensive numbers, but these guys played in a different era.

Kirby Puckett
Dale Murphy
Jimmy Wynn
Vada Pinson
Larry Doby
Fred Lynn
Wally Berger
Dom DiMaggio

jojo
05-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Isn't .286/.377/.526 with "gold glove*" defense what we're hoping to get from Bruce.......in right field?

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I heard a few years ago that the Reds could have had Edmonds straight up for Brett Tomko.. but that was when he was young and Leather pants balked..If he would have been here wonder if he would have been traded for Jr? or would have Jr even been here.. Anyway im a Jr fan and im glad how it worked out..(except for the injuries)

The Junior trade worked out?

Ravenlord
05-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Jim Edmonds is one of the few Major Leaguers i've ever met. it was the Barnes and Noble in Newport-on-the-Levy in '05 after a business man special. albeit it was only about 20 minutes, he seemed like a very nice guy with a surprisingly self-depricating sense of humour. he actually blushed when me and the girlfriend didn't ask him for an autograph.

Deepred05
05-11-2008, 01:27 AM

Cobb
Mays
Speaker
Mantle
DiMaggio

Snider
Griffey

It's tough, very tough.

Griffey is second tier? I know I am a homer, but when all is said and done, Griffey will be right there with Mantle and Mays.

MWM
05-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Griffey is second tier? I know I am a homer, but when all is said and done, Griffey will be right there with Mantle and Mays.

I love Junior, but not even I believe he's in the class of those 2. He's not too far off, but those guys are in a tier above, IMO.

BCubb2003
05-11-2008, 02:07 AM
But Willie Mays did.

I ask what current players he would put in the same league as himself and DiMaggio, and he answers quickly: "There's only two guys you could put there: Griffey and Barry"

http://dir.salon.com/story/people/feature/1999/07/13/mays_interview/

WVRedsFan
05-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Gee...a former All-Star CF falling off a cliff in his late 30s...

It happens, all the reason to be more worried about Jr.'s 2008.

Funny, but Junior played a Double Header tonight in which he went to bat 9 times, scored a run, had 4 hits, an RBI, and a walk. I am very worried. :)

He's getting his stoke back. Guys like Junior don't forget how to hit. Edmonds, otoh, was more fluff than anything else. He made his name on diving catches and a lot of face time on SportsCenter. He ain't no Junior.

Cyclone792
05-11-2008, 03:33 AM

No, Griffey won't be there with those guys.

Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle are two of the 10 greatest players in baseball history. As great as Griffey has been, he's not in the top 10.

Mantle himself had three seasons - 1956, 1957, and 1961 - that even Griffey could only dream about.

Cyclone792
05-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Just throwing some names out there. These are some guys Bill James likes, outside of the standard - Mays, Cobb, Mantle, Speaker, DiMaggio, Snider, and Griffey. I don't think anyone comes close to Edmunds offensive numbers, but these guys played in a different era.

Kirby Puckett
Dale Murphy
Jimmy Wynn
Vada Pinson
Larry Doby
Fred Lynn
Wally Berger
Dom DiMaggio

All were great, historic level ballplayers. And as much as I loathed Jim Edmonds, I'd take Edmonds over every player in that list ... even Kirby Puckett.

Edmonds is going to retire with around 300 career win shares. Each of the players above finished with around the same number of career win shares, some a bit higher, some a bit lower. I don't think any of the guys in that list had the peak level seasons that Edmonds had though. I'm not a Jim Edmonds fan at all, but he had a stretch from 2000-2004 that none of those guys had.

Jpup
05-12-2008, 02:54 PM
:jump:

I missed this when he was released. I'm glad it worked out. Looks like the HGH wore off.

Joseph
05-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Edmonds to the Cubs?

Its a rumor floating around out there right now.

He may not be done just yet, I'm sure he'll at least go 3 for 4 with 5RBI against us one more time.

Deepred05
05-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle are two of the 10 greatest players in baseball history. As great as Griffey has been, he's not in the top 10.

Mantle himself had three seasons - 1956, 1957, and 1961 - that even Griffey could only dream about.

Griffey 96-97 looks pretty damn close to Mantle's 61 season.

Cyclone792
05-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Griffey 96-97 looks pretty damn close to Mantle's 61 season.

Nah, not even close.

Mantle 1961
48 win shares
206 OPS+
15.3 WARP

Griffey 1996
28 win shares
153 OPS+
8.8 WARP

Griffey 1997
36 win shares
165 OPS+
10.9 WARP

The AL in 1961 hit .256/.329/.395

By comparison, in 1996 the AL hit .277/.350/.445. In 1997 the AL hit .271/.340/.428.

Mantle played in a much more pitcher friendly environment than Griffey played in and still OPS'd 100+ points higher in 1961 than Griffey ever did.

RedsBaron
05-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Nah, not even close.

Mantle 1961
48 win shares
206 OPS+
15.3 WARP

Griffey 1996
28 win shares
153 OPS+
8.8 WARP

Griffey 1997
36 win shares
165 OPS+
10.9 WARP

The AL in 1961 hit .256/.329/.395

By comparison, in 1996 the AL hit .277/.350/.445. In 1997 the AL hit .271/.340/.428.

Mantle played in a much more pitcher friendly environment than Griffey played in and still OPS'd 100+ points higher in 1961 than Griffey ever did.

Correct. If you prefer old fashioned stats, the Stats Neutralizer gives you similar results. Mantle's "neutralized" numbers for 1961 are a .334 average with 58 HR and 131 RBI along with a .467 OBP and .721 SPCT. Griffey in 1997 has "neutralized" numbers of .303 56 143 .381 .646--great numbers, but not as great as Mantle's.

Deepred05
05-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I know that I saw Mays and Mantle play in the twilight of their careers, so my perception is probably skewed.

Cyclone792
05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I know that I saw Mays and Mantle play in the twilight of their careers, so my perception is probably skewed.

When did you see Mantle and Mays?

I think changes in eras skews many perceptions over time. Historically, the 1950s were pretty run neutral, while the 60s favored pitching and the 90s favored hitting.

Honus Wagner's 1908 season is one of the greatest single seasons of all-time. He hit .354/.415/.542 during a time when his league only hit .239/.299/.306. The average hitter that season put up a line similar to what we'd see Juan Castro put up. Compare what Wagner did - as a good shortstop, nonetheless - to his peers, and it's incredible.

RedsBaron
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
When did you see Mantle and Mays?

I think changes in eras skews many perceptions over time. Historically, the 1950s were pretty run neutral, while the 60s favored pitching and the 90s favored hitting.

Honus Wagner's 1908 season is one of the greatest single seasons of all-time. He hit .354/.415/.542 during a time when his league only hit .239/.299/.306. The average hitter that season put up a line similar to what we'd see Juan Castro put up. Compare what Wagner did - as a good shortstop, nonetheless - to his peers, and it's incredible.

RFS62 has said Wagner's season was one the greatest he ever witnessed, even better than Cap Anson in his prime.

Cyclone792
05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
RFS62 has said Wagner's season was one the greatest he ever witnessed, even better than Cap Anson in his prime.

Wasn't RFS somehow involved in Merkle's Boner?

RedsBaron
05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Wasn't RFS somehow involved in Merkle's Boner?

:laugh:

Deepred05
05-12-2008, 10:13 PM

So if not in the top ten, is it safe to say he ranks in the top 20?

Cyclone792
05-12-2008, 10:33 PM
So if not in the top ten, is it safe to say he ranks in the top 20?

Well, probably not, IMO

1B: Gehrig and Foxx
2B: Collins, Hornsby, and Morgan
3B: Schmidt
SS: Wagner and Rodriguez
LF: Williams, Bonds, and Musial
CF: Cobb, Mays, Speaker, Mantle, DiMaggio
RF: Ruth, Aaron, Ott, Robinson

That's 20 MLB positional players I'd take over Griffey. I'd probably take Bench over him (positional adjustment). Most likely Rose too and possibly Henderson. Add pitchers and there's many more (Johnson, Grove, Clemens, Maddux, Alexander, Mathewson, Young, maybe Spahn and Seaver too). Add Negro Leaguers and there's a few more (Charleston, Gibson, maybe Paige).

Even if you want to eliminate the steroid guys, there's still easily 20 guys I'd take over Griffey.

Don't get me wrong, I like Griffey (even as I just watch him drop a fly ball), but there's been a lot of historically great players. It's not hard to start rattling names off and reach two dozen pretty quick.

Deepred05
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, probably not, IMO

1B: Gehrig and Foxx
2B: Collins, Hornsby, and Morgan
3B: Schmidt
SS: Wagner and Rodriguez
LF: Williams, Bonds, and Musial
CF: Cobb, Mays, Speaker, Mantle, DiMaggio
RF: Ruth, Aaron, Ott, Robinson

That's 20 MLB positional players I'd take over Griffey. I'd probably take Bench over him (positional adjustment). Most likely Rose too and possibly Henderson. Add pitchers and there's many more (Johnson, Grove, Clemens, Maddux, Alexander, Mathewson, Young, maybe Spahn and Seaver too). Add Negro Leaguers and there's a few more (Charleston, Gibson, maybe Paige).

Even if you want to eliminate the steroid guys, there's still easily 20 guys I'd take over Griffey.

Don't get me wrong, I like Griffey (even as I just watch him drop a fly ball), but there's been a lot of historically great players. It's not hard to start rattling names off and reach two dozen pretty quick.

LOL I was about to drop him a few more notches if he dropped that second fly ball. Tough to argue with your list Cyclone. Great ballplayers.

RedlegJake
05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd have to agree with Cyclone's list. I saw Mantle and Mays in their prime-late prime years and they were probably the best players I've ever seen. Henry was up there, too, probably even better if you valued consistency day in and day out. And if you want raw power Willie McCovey has to be on the list.

Bob Borkowski
05-13-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/945598,edmonds051208.article

reds44
05-13-2008, 12:08 AM
The Cubs should really just platoon Pie and Johnson. This move is counterproductive.

ramp101
05-13-2008, 12:24 AM
you don't platoon Felix Pie

he needs to be playing everyday at whatever level

reds44
05-13-2008, 12:29 AM
you don't platoon Felix Pie

he needs to be playing everyday at whatever level
Rather platoon him, especially since he'd be getting the majority of ABs, then watch him toast AAA pitching some more.

BCubb2003
05-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I don't know,I think maybe we're being a little hard on an All-Century Player.

WVRedsFan
05-13-2008, 03:55 AM
I don't know,I think maybe we're being a little hard on an All-Century Player.

True.

If I've learned anything it's that superstars do not belong in Cincinnati. People want Pete Rose or Chris Stynes. Injuries? Foreign to the masses. You get hurt you aren't worth spit. You pay for talent. You get the fan's all upset. I cn't wait until Cordero fails in a save opportunity. Wow.

Over the last few years I have hoped that the Reds would move Griffey to some team who would appreciate him. As for now, everyone is salivating over Jay Bruce, a minor leaguer who hasn't proved anything. He may be the next great thing, but I am very sure that his numbers won't reach Griffey's even when he played half seasons.

Yep, folks aren't so understanding when you go through numerous surgeries to play for the home team. He's slow, he can't field, he doesn't do what we thought he would do--win every game with his bat and catch every fly ball with acrobatic finesse. I mean, he was paid so much, even if the long term contract left him way below what his star status would allow him to make. He deferred salary so the Reds could obtain talent that might make this team a winner, and yet, we want him gone because a minor leaguer is going to wow us all for about $12-14 million less a year. Sad.

All Century means nothing when you have Jay flippin Bruce in the wings--the latest hero somewhat like Bill Bray, Ben Broussard, Chris Denorfia, and Paul Wilson were going to save the Reds.

Get rid of him now. For peanuts. We've got players in the wings who can do better. And may be play until he's 45 and be productive somewhere else where they will appreciate him. That's all I ask.

Unassisted
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080513-jim-edmonds-felix-pie-chicago-cubs,1,2299417.story

Jim Edmonds about to join Cubs
His expected signing will push Pie to Iowa
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune reporter

May 13, 2008, 10:17 PM CDT

Veteran center fielder Jim Edmonds is expected to clear waivers Wednesday and sign with the Cubs, opening the door to what could be a prolonged debate.

Should the Cubs have given Felix Pie a longer opportunity to show what he can do? Or does Edmonds' arrival mean the team is putting all of its hopes on the 2008 season?

Pie will be the odd man out upon Edmonds' arrival, losing his starting job to Reed Johnson and his roster spot to Edmonds. Manager Lou Piniella said Pie has to "be ready" to succeed on every day, not just once in a while.

"I played in the minor leagues six full seasons before I got to the big leagues," he said. "But when I got there, I stayed for 17 years. That's what you have to look at. You can't look at the short haul. … Some kids develop and learn their skills a little later than others, and you have to be patient with them. But at the same time, we're not in a rebuilding situation here."

Whether Edmonds still can play is another question. San Diego general manager Kevin Towers said the release of Edmonds was a difficult decision, despite his poor early numbers.

"If we would have been 21-12, we probably could have stuck with him a little longer," Towers said. "But the way we're playing, we had to maker some changes. With him only being on a one-year contract and not being in our future plans, we felt Jody Gerut and [Scott] Hairston deserve an opportunity."

Towers insisted the decision was more of a reflection on the team's bad start than Edmonds' early-season hitting slump.

"He wasn't quite performing up to what we were accustomed to seeing all those years in St. Louis," he said. "A lot of it could've been the calf injury that he had in spring training. He just got off to a slow start."

Several big-salaried players have been released this season, including Edmonds, former Cub Jacque Jones and former White Sox designated hitter Frank Thomas. Is this a new trend, and does it suggest baseball is becoming more like the NFL in its personnel decisions?

"Hopefully not," Towers said. "We're making mistakes on some of these guys. The thing with the NFL is, other than the signing bonuses, most of them are [guaranteed] one-year contracts. They could release a guy from a multiyear contract and be out from future commitments, whereas we're not.

"I think fans' expectations, owner's expectations in all markets, is to win now. They're less patient than they were a few years back. There are probably more big names [released] this year, though, including guys with Hall of Fame [credentials]."

Matt700wlw
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
He's officially signed a 1 year deal with the Cubs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3396301

Unassisted
05-15-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080514-jim-edmonds-chicago-cubs,0,5563932,print.story

GM Jim Hendry confident Jim Edmonds will help Cubs

By Paul Sullivan

Tribune reporter

11:05 PM CDT, May 14, 2008

By taking a gamble that Jim Edmonds still can be a productive center fielder and hitter, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry knew he was inviting criticism from fans who have invested a lot of time loathing the former Cardinals star.

"There is really no negative in it," Hendry said. "You're not giving up players. You're not spending a lot of dollars, so you look at things like that and, hopefully, he'll be able to give us at least a great portion of the Jim Edmonds we all knew and used to fear in a lot of ways."

Edmonds, who turns 38 next month, took a physical Wednesday night and signed a one-year deal for around $284,000, the prorated amount of the major-league minimum. He's expected to be in the starting lineup Thursday against former Cubs ace Greg Maddux and could provide his new team with some much-needed left-handed pop in a predominantly right-handed hitting lineup.

"He's going to hit ninth," manager Lou Piniella said facetiously in a reference to the Cardinals' batting order. "I'm going to move the pitcher to eighth and hit him ninth."

Edmonds could provide Piniella with the option of moving Kosuke Fukudome into the No. 2 hole, where his high on-base percentage would be more conducive than in the 5-spot. Edmonds then could bat fifth behind Aramis Ramirez. The 16-year veteran has 363 career home runs and a .526 slugging percentage, although his last big season was in 2005, when he finished with 29 homers and 89 RBIs for St. Louis.

To make room for Edmonds, the Cubs sent outfielder Felix Pie to Triple-A Iowa after Wednesday night's game.

San Diego released Edmonds last week when he was hitting .178 in 90 at-bats. The Padres are responsible for most of the remaining $7.7 million on his contract, although St. Louis agreed to pay part of it when they traded him last winter.

Some believe Edmonds has lost a step in the outfield, though Piniella said he hadn't seen him play since last summer.

"I don't know," he said. "We're going on past history and we're going on what our scouts say. That's it. We're going to give him an opportunity … and we'll go from there. That's all we can do."

Hendry said Edmonds did not need any minor-league time to get his stroke back. The eight-time Gold Glove winner also should benefit from playing at Wrigley Field, where the outfield is much smaller than spacious Petco Park's in San Diego.

"He just feels he has some baseball left in him," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He's a competitor. He has a lot of pride. I think it could be a good fit. He's a great instinctive center fielder. He'll do fine here."

Since word of the Cubs' interest surfaced in a Tribune report Monday, a variety of fan Web sites and blogs have fiercely debated the possibility that the hated ex-Cardinal would soon wear Cubs pinstripes.

Edmonds was right in the thick of the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry during its most heated moments in the summers of 2003 and 2004, when things got ugly between the teams managed by Dusty Baker and Tony La Russa.

"I think in general most people feel he still has something left in the tank," Hendry said. "I think he's going to be a motivated player. Obviously, we're not going to ask him to go out there every single day.

"The people we had watch him in their normal coverage—we weren't scouting him—felt he was getting better right before he was [released]. We'll see."

flyer85
05-15-2008, 05:29 PM
if the option not Edmonds was Reed Johnson then the Cubs will likely be better off but I have little doubt there best solution was to put Pie out there and leave him alone. Pie is a far superior defender than either the Edmonds or Johnson ... but hey this is the Cubs.