Patterson CF
Votto 1B
Encarnacion 3B
Dunn LF
Keppinger SS
Bako C
Belise P

This has got to be a joke.

Maybe it's because he knows they aren't playing.

SirFelixCat
05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
You have got to be kidding me....

Buckeye33
05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
This isn't the lineup that Yahoo is listing.

The have Patterson at leadoff, Hairston 2nd, and Griffey 3rd. Unless they have changed it because of the rain and taken Griffey out...

reds44
This isn't the lineup that Yahoo is listing.

The have Patterson at leadoff, Hairston 2nd, and Griffey 3rd. Unless they have changed it because of the rain and taken Griffey out...
They just showed the lineup on Reds live, and Griffey was a late scratch.

Buckeye33
You have got to be kidding me....

Oh yeah, what's up with no blog updates? April 20th?!!

:D

Buckeye33
05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
They just showed the lineup on Reds live, and Griffey was a late scratch.

Gotcha. That is pretty damn entertaining.

No need to move Dunn from 6th to 3rd, nope, that is where Patterson will break out.

fearofpopvol1
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah, Griffey is sick so he's out for tonight.

Raisor
05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Seriously. I've seen enough. There's got to be a highschool coach someplace that can manager better then Dusty, school almost out, so they can go grab a guy easy.

SirFelixCat
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah, what's up with no blog updates? April 20th?!!

:D

Yeah, I promise to update it with a few updates this weekend. Some fun stuff to post too. Sorry:(

But yeah, I refuse to watch tonight's game...I just don't understand how/why here. I really don't....

GAC
05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Seriously. I've seen enough. There's got to be a highschool coach someplace that can manager better then Dusty, school almost out, so they can go grab a guy easy.

Now, now Phil..... ya gotta give Rusty a chance. He's a BIG NAME manager who knows how to win. ;)

NC Reds
05-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I never thought Dusty was a good manager, but watching him manage the Reds everyday makes me believe he is borderline incompetent. Dunn should always bat before Patterson. It seems so obvious yet Dusty misses it.

Raisor
05-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Patterson career in the 3-slot

.273/.305/.459

245 TPA

wheels
05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Holy Mackeral.

penantboundreds
05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Why no Phillips?

reds44
05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Why no Phillips?
Bruised calf. Dusty hopes he'll play tomorrow.

Puffy
05-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, mark down today's date. Today is the day Dusty lost me. Before this I was indifferent, but putting Patterson third, yup, lost me.

Raisor
05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Well, mark down today's date. Today is the day Dusty lost me. Before this I was indifferent, but putting Patterson third, yup, lost me.

just for me, say that you loathe it.

Please.

GAC
05-09-2008, 08:14 PM
It seems so obvious yet Dusty misses it.

Not as much as Patterson misses the ball. ;)

penantboundreds
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
For the record....I like it. We'll see what happens.

Screwball
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm sure we all knew Patterson has been in a slump, but does anybody realize how bad it's actually been? I mean he's been abysmal for a month now, and it's only been getting worse. Take a look at these lines:

Last 28 days: .153/.231/.237/.468
Last 14 days: .138/.194/.172/.366
Last 07 days: .091/.091/.091/.182

I understand you have to hit your way out of a slump, so if you are going to give him playing time, for the love of Pete don't try to use him as a table setter. He's not good at that even when he's going well. (Has that been mentioned on RZ before?)

Razor Shines
05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
That's pretty impressive. Dusty must read this website and he's giving us all the finger with that line up. Hats off to him though, when he likes a guy he goes all out.

Raisor
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
For the record....I like it. We'll see what happens.

I'm sure you like Abba too. ADMIT IT!!!

RFS62
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Is Dusty batting Corey third because he thinks he's the best number three hitter on the team right now?

Of course not.

Maybe he's batting him third to get him some better pitches to see and try to shake him out of his funk. Regardless of whether you like Corey or not, Dusty may just be trying to jump start him.

Or maybe not. I certainly don't know any more than anyone else. But I sincerely doubt he thinks he's a number three hitter long term.

flyer85
05-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I never thought Dusty was a good manager, but watching him manage the Reds everyday makes me believe he is borderline incompetent. Dunn should always bat before Patterson. It seems so obvious yet Dusty misses it.your close ... remove the borderline.

Raisor
05-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Is Dusty batting Corey third because he thinks he's the best number three hitter on the team right now?

Of course not.

Maybe he's batting him third to get him some better pitches to see and try to shake him out of his funk. Regardless of whether you like Corey or not, Dusty may just be trying to jump start him.

Or maybe not. I certainly don't know any more than anyone else. But I sincerely doubt he thinks he's a number three hitter long term.

He's hitting him number three because he wasn't going to hit JHhr or Freel third, when JR got scratched, and he didn't want to move anyone else.

It's still crazy. Even if it works tonight, it's CRAZY. Butterfly net crazy.

redsrule2500
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
This has to be a joke.

kbrake
05-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm disgusted. Very, very much so.

Reds Fanatic
05-09-2008, 08:37 PM
In all our years of discussing lineups Corey Patterson batting 3rd is the craziest thing I have seen.

marcshoe
05-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I would have responded earlier, but I've been babbling incoherently ever since this was posted.

Marc D
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Just when you think this franchise can't get any lower.

That lineup tonight is an insult.

CTA513
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
It looks like we got lucky and won't have to see this lineup tonight.

GAC
05-09-2008, 09:20 PM
It looks like we got lucky and won't have to see this lineup tonight.

We get to see it twice tommorrow. ;)

top6
05-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I tried to tell anyone who would listen. Not that most people on this board didn't agree with me, but plenty of other Reds fans didn't. He is an awful, awful manager. It is difficult to comprehend how bad he is from afar, but I probably watched 100+ Dusty-managed Cubs games in full, and plenty more in part. You really have to watch him day in and day out to appreciate what a joke he is.

This is exactly how he managed the Cubs. He will do what his "gut" tells him, and if it tells him to bat one of the worst offensive players in all of baseball third, then he will do it, even when all objective and statistical evidence confirms that it is a horrible idea. Just wait until his gut tells him to let Cueto or Volquez throw 130+ pitches. And, trust me, barring an edict from the owner or GM, that will happen - and it might happen even then if he decides he's had enough and wants to be fired.

I've said before that I don't blame him. He is what he is. He never suggested that he would manage any differently. The Reds are solely to blame, and even though I bleed Reds Red, part of me enjoys watching an organization suffer the losses and embarrassment they so richly deserve for making such an asine, obvious and totally foreseeable error.

top6
05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Just to follow up, if this was joke lineup because they knew a rainout was coming... then well played, Dusty. Well played.

wheels
05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't think it was a joke.

I'd be willing to be we see it tomorrow.

SirFelixCat
05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
He's hitting him number three because he wasn't going to hit JHhr or Freel third, when JR got scratched, and he didn't want to move anyone else.

It's still crazy. Even if it works tonight, it's CRAZY. Butterfly net crazy.

I'm sure this is the real reason, but regardless, there's just no excuse for it. I mean, how long does it take to re-write the linup card...45 seconds?:thumbdown

WMR
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I've seen some real doozies from the likes of Narron, Miley, and Boone, but this line-up is officially the worst that I can remember ever seeing, which is REALLY saying something.

WMR
05-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm sure this is the real reason, but regardless, there's just no excuse for it. I mean, how long does it take to re-write the linup card...45 seconds?:thumbdown

Put 1,000 monkeys in a room with typewriters and I'm not sure even they'd be able to churn out this permutation.

marcshoe
05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I've been trying to come up with Dusty's thought process behind this. The best suggestion may be the one about there being no adjustment after Griffey was scratched (sounds like the CF-leadoff thing--no thinking required), but I keep wondering if Dusty's thoughts went something like this: "Okay, we scored nine runs last game, but that was all on home runs. We need to get the offense started early, and we can't depend on the homers, so we need to stack speed guys at the top so they can run in the first inning and get us a run or two right off the bat. Let's keep the run-scoring going."

While this makes little sense, I can see Mr. Baker thinking like this.

Marc D
05-09-2008, 11:10 PM
I've been trying to come up with Dusty's thought process behind this. The best suggestion may be the one about there being no adjustment after Griffey was scratched (sounds like the CF-leadoff thing--no thinking required), but I keep wondering if Dusty's thoughts went something like this: "Okay, we scored nine runs last game, but that was all on home runs. We need to get the offense started early, and we can't depend on the homers, so we need to stack speed guys at the top so they can run in the first inning and get us a run or two right off the bat. Let's keep the run-scoring going."

While this makes little sense, I can see Mr. Baker thinking like this.

-Tough to rationalize having the worst hitter on the team hitting 3rd.

-Also interesting to note the "thou must break up thy lefties" commandmant from the Boone/Narron/Miley Bible of baseball can be ignored for CP and Votto but never for JR and Dunn.

Chip R
05-09-2008, 11:11 PM
I saw the title of this thread and said to myself, "Yeah, what's he got him batting, 3rd?" not being serious about it. Then I opened the thread. Dusty has done lost his mind.

TRF
05-09-2008, 11:13 PM
just for me, say that you loathe it.

Please.I loathed waaay before Puffy did. He loathed Randa, I loathed Aurilia.

I'm a loather.

LoganBuck
05-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I loathe Patterson the mostest!

KronoRed
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM
This lineup has Bob Boone written all over it.

Fire Dusty ;)

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2008, 01:18 AM

Of course not.

Are you trying to get inside the mind of Dusty Baker!? That's dangerous! :eek:

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Dusty only batted Patterson #3 because he was confused since the best pure hitters, Phillips and Griffey, were unavailable... ;)

SteelSD
05-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Is anyone actually suprised at this point? Really? Dusty Baker is capable of pretty much any of the dumbest things we can think of.

A blindfolded man throwing darts at a board, folks. Always with a ready CYA excuse, but never really a logical reason.

Gainesville Red
05-10-2008, 02:21 AM
Good thing it got rained out. If things progressed any further, he would have pinch hit Castro for Hamilton.

My lord, Patterson batting 3rd? A beat writer's gotta, GOTTA, ask about this. If I'm an editor, and my reporter doesn't ask about this, I'm getting a new reporter.

Patterson batting third is insanity.

Can anyone name the worst ever 3 hole hitter? Not saying Patterson's the worst, just saying I'd like to know if there is one worse.

KronoRed
05-10-2008, 02:56 AM

The one problem with this theroy is that Corey Patterson doesn't get much better then he is now :explode:

Always Red
05-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Good thing it got rained out. If things progressed any further, he would have pinch hit Castro for Hamilton.

I thought that was just a bad dream, but that actually did happen, didn't it? :(

Even worse, I was physically at that game, while on vacation to the west coast, sipping craft beer in the RF bleachers on a beautiful sunny afternoon. :)

Mind boggling. Hamilton had actually hit a home run earlier in that game, and Castro fittingly struck out. I think that was the beginning of the end for Jerry.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-10-2008, 10:24 AM
On June 20, 2007 Jerry Narron had Juan Castro pinch-hit for Josh Hamilton in a 5-3 loss to the Oakland A's.

Hamilton had homered earlier in the game and was 1-2 with a walk.

It was Juan Castro's birthday, but I still will never forget this.

flyer85
05-10-2008, 10:29 AM
This is exactly how he managed the Cubs. He will do what his "gut" tells him, and if it tells him to bat one of the worst offensive players in all of baseball third, then he will do it, even when all objective and statistical evidence confirms that it is a horrible idea. Just wait until his gut tells him to let Cueto or Volquez throw 130+ pitches. I'm still not pleased with his sending Volquez out for the 7th inning with a 9-0 lead when he had already thrown 105 pitches ... it was just dumb.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-10-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm still not pleased with his sending Volquez out for the 7th inning with a 9-0 lead when he had already thrown 105 pitches ... it was just dumb.

I agree he shouldn't have been sent out, but I thought Volquez was sitting on 94 pitches.

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:22 PM
On June 20, 2007 Jerry Narron had Juan Castro pinch-hit for Josh Hamilton in a 5-3 loss to the Oakland A's.

Hamilton had homered earlier in the game and was 1-2 with a walk.

It was Juan Castro's birthday, but I still will never forget this.

That was the final straw for Jerry Narron....it was official at that point that he was no longer capable of handling the responsibilities of the job he was asked to do.

As soon as he did it, I basically told myself, "That's it. He's gone."

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree he shouldn't have been sent out, but I thought Volquez was sitting on 94 pitches.

Actually he wasn't...he was hitting 95-96

Raisor
05-10-2008, 12:25 PM
That was the final straw for Jerry Narron....it was official at that point that he was no longer capable of handling the responsibilities of the job he was asked to do.

As soon as he did it, I basically told myself, "That's it. He's gone."

So, how about Baker now?

pahster
05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually he wasn't...he was hitting 95-96

No, he had thrown 94 pitches through the 6th.

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
...Baker isn't going anywhere.

Baker has a track record of success (1100+ wins is pretty nice).

Plus, that silly lineup never saw the field :D

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:27 PM
No, he had thrown 94 pitches through the 6th.

I meant MPH...oops :D

Raisor
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
...Baker isn't going anywhere.

Baker has a track record of success (1100+ wins is pretty nice).

Plus, that silly lineup never saw the field :D

wasn't the question.

I know Dusty isn't going anywhere.

I'm asking your opinion.

MWM
05-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Of course not.

All that might be what Dusty is thinking, but that doesn't make it any better, IMO. At this point in the season, the Reds need to win. They don't have the luxury of doing something like plugging their worst hitter in the #3 hole just so he can see some better pitches. An I don't see how he sees any better pitches there than at leadoff. I don't think any pitcher is afraid to pitch to him. If he's not seeing good pitches it's because a pitcher would be dumb to actually throw him anything good because he'll swing at the bad stuff.

Dusty needs to win games, not mess around like this.

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
He's been the Reds manager (regular season) just over a month.

I don't think you can make a judgement on anybody in that span of time in this game.

My biggest gripe is how unmotivated this team still looks, as it did under previous mangers, when all we heard is how guys play for Dusty....so, maybe it's not Dusty..maybe guys like Dunn and Griffey play the way they play no matter who is calling the shots, and maybe it rubs off on the other guys...they are the "faces" of the franchise. They're supposed to be the leaders of the clubhouse. They've been the one constant in these losing years...and that's not saying it's all their fault, because it's not...but that laid back type of attitude, that it seems all the losing teams have had, hasn't worked.

That's why I say bring up the kids....let them play....change the culture. See what Dusty can do with them.

Raisor
05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
He's been here just over a month....(spring doesn't count at this point).

I don't think it's fair to say either way if Dusty is the guy or not.

It's certainly not too early to have an opinion.

We all know he's not going anyplace.

Is he or isn't he doing a good job, so far?

Matt700wlw
05-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Re-read my post....I added a bunch of stuff :)

Always Red
05-10-2008, 12:59 PM
My biggest gripe is how unmotivated this team still looks, as it did under previous mangers, when all we heard is how guys play for Dusty....so, maybe it's not Dusty..

In 5 years this team has had 2 owners, 3 GM's and 4 managers.

If change is still needed, then it has become time to change the players, for the simple reason that there is nothing else left to change.

Raisor
05-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Fay:

Corey Patterson cf
Ryan Freel lf
Ken Griffey Jr. rf
Brandon Phillips 2b
Joey Votto 1b
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Jeff Keppinger ss
David Ross c
Matt Belisle p

v. LH Johan Santana

reds44
05-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, at least he's not batting 3rd.

Matt Belisle vs. Johan is not a good matchup.

guttle11
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I wonder if Griffey will sit tonight, even with a guy who struggles against lefties on the mound.

Raisor
05-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I know Dunn's only OPSing 704 vsLHP this season. C-Patt is OPSing 237 vsLHP.

Fay is reporting that Junior and Phillips are sitting for game two. I'd be surprised if the Reds don't get swept today.

Raisor
05-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I wonder if Griffey will sit tonight, even with a guy who struggles against lefties on the mound.

Fay's blog

Dusty Baker said Griffey and Phillips probably won't start Game 2. It's partly cloudy and cool here.

Matt700wlw
Belisle and Arroyo.....their chances of success weren't good today anyway...which of course means they'll win both ;)

pahster
I know Dunn's only OPSing 704 vsLHP this season. C-Patt is OPSing 237 vsLHP.

Fay is reporting that Junior and Phillips are sitting for game two. I'd be surprised if the Reds don't get swept today.

I can understand why it may be unwise to start someone like Griffey twice in one day, but why can't guys like Dunn, Phillips, and Votto (I'm guessing Hatt will start game 2, but maybe I'm wrong) start both games?

guttle11
05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Fay's blog

Well, there's my answer. Thanks.

Phillips only playing once makes sense due to the calf. Buckle up and expect a sweep, unfortunately.

Raisor
05-10-2008, 01:58 PM
IF Dusty is going to sit Junior, Phillips, and Dunn at some point today, I wish he'd have done it all in the same game. At least give them a chance to win one game.

blumj
05-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I can understand why it may be unwise to start someone like Griffey twice in one day, but why can't guys like Dunn, Phillips, and Votto (I'm guessing Hatt will start game 2, but maybe I'm wrong) start both games?
I think most managers avoid starting as many players as he can in both games of a DH these days.

reds44
05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Phillips: bad calf
Dunn: two lefties
Votto: I would say two lefties, but Hatteberg is also left handed.

PuffyPig
05-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Pelfry is right handed.

reds44
05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Pelfry is right handed.
Whoops, I knew that. Not sure why I thought two left handers were going.

Well then, I have no idea. I guess the Phillips bad calf comment at least still holds water. :D

flyer85
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Dusty is ...

When you are struggling for wins sitting down your best players is a sure way for it to continue

pahster
05-10-2008, 02:56 PM

I forgot about Phillips' calf, but Dunn hits lefties well: .240/.360/.478/.838 for his career. Not sure if Dusty knows that, though. :p:

RedsManRick
05-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I see no problem in sitting lefties against Johan, but sitting them against Pelfry is just stupid. The guys already got 2 days off, so the rest argument just doesn't fly with me.

GAC
05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I only got to listen to parts of game 1; but wasn't Patterson back in the leadoff spot? He got on via a bunt in the first, and then got out over a base running blunder? I guess you really can't hold it against a guy who is in unfamiliar territory. ;)

I turned it off in either the 3rd or 4th inning when he had Votto leading off bunting.

Big Klu
05-10-2008, 07:24 PM

My lord, Patterson batting 3rd? A beat writer's gotta, GOTTA, ask about this. If I'm an editor, and my reporter doesn't ask about this, I'm getting a new reporter.

Patterson batting third is insanity.

Can anyone name the worst ever 3 hole hitter? Not saying Patterson's the worst, just saying I'd like to know if there is one worse.

I don't know if he was worse than Patterson, but Dave Concepcion was pretty bad in 1983. (He had 87 starts in the third spot in the batting order that season.) I mean, we all love Davey, but he had no business in the #3 spot that year. For the season, Davey hit .233/.303/.280/.583 with 1 HR and 47 RBI's. He also had 22 2B's, 56 BB's, and 14 stolen bases in 23 attempts.

Big Klu
05-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I only got to listen to parts of game 1; but wasn't Patterson back in the leadoff spot? He got on via a bunt in the first, and then a base running blunder?

I turned it off in either the 3rd or 4th inning when he had Votto leading off bunting.

I'm not sure it was a blunder, but it was a negative play for the Reds. Santana picked him off--off course, Santana is good at doing that.

Also, i'm not sure that Votto wasn't bunting on his own. I doubt that Dusty told him to lead off the inning by attempting a bunt single. That's usually something that the hitter decides on his own.

Chip R
05-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't know if he was worse than Patterson, but Dave Concepcion was pretty bad in 1983. (He had 87 starts in the third spot in the batting order that season.) I mean, we all love Davey, but he had no business in the #3 spot that year. For the season, Davey hit .233/.303/.280/.583 with 1 HR and 47 RBI's. He also had 22 2B's, 56 BB's, and 14 stolen bases in 23 attempts.

It was 1983. Not an awful lot to choose from there.

Big Klu
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
It was 1983. Not an awful lot to choose from there.

True, but Dan Driessen (.277/.390/.420/.810, 12 HR's, 57 RBI's) would have been a much better choice.

Always Red
05-10-2008, 07:55 PM
True, but Dan Driessen (.277/.390/.420/.810, 12 HR's, 57 RBI's) would have been a much better choice.

Most probably.

I really love Dave Concepcion. I was 9 when he burst upon the scene, and he's always been a personal favorite of mine. I think he's a Hall of Famer; admittedly some disagree, with fair reason. (As long as Pee Wee Reese is there...) Oh, btw, I think Alan Trammell belongs in the Hall as well.

This article says he is the worst #3 hitter since 1957, and it's pretty convincing.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-10-worst-no-3-hitters-since-1957/