PDA

View Full Version : Could Alfonso Soriano make the Hall of Fame?

WMR
05-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Atomic Dumpling's excellent thread on Adam Dunn, wherein Soriano is revealed to be neck and neck with Dunn as far as career homers go, got me to thinking...

Could Soriano make the Hall? He's 32... obviously, his contract calls for him to play for a few more years. ;)

cincinnati chili
05-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Anything's possible, but I hope that by the time he's eligible, I hope HOF voters come around to the idea that guys with a .325 career on base percentage who don't play defense don't belong in the Hall.

I love the guy's swing when he connects, but he was one of the most overpaid guys in history the day he signed his contract. And he's just gotten worse.

WMR
05-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Anything's possible, but I hope that by the time he's eligible, I hope HOF voters come around to the idea that guys with a .325 career on base percentage who don't play defense don't belong in the Hall.

I love the guy's swing when he connects, but he was one of the most overpaid guys in history the day he signed his contract. And he's just gotten worse.

It also seems to me that moving to the outfield will hurt him. His offensive numbers would have looked unbelievably gaudy had he stayed at 2B his entire career (despite being a sub-par defensive presence there, the "impression," so to speak would have likely been very different)... still, however, makes me wonder how much love he'll get for spending such a substantial chunk of his career there... being forced to switch to the outfield probably significantly damages that "perception."

cincinnati chili
05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
It also seems to me that moving to the outfield will hurt him. His offensive numbers would have looked unbelievably gaudy had he stayed at 2B his entire career (despite being a sub-par defensive presence there

Exactly. This is why Jeff Kent WILL make the Hall of Fame. I think he' knows it too, which is why he keeps signing these short term contract for teams that promise he'll get to play 2B.