PDA

View Full Version : Trivia: Name the Year on the Reds Yearbook

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 09:28 PM
OK, it has been way too long since we have done this. Let's go one more time.

It works like this. I have in my grubby fist a copy of a Reds Yearbook from some time in the past. I will give 5 clues and see if you can come up with the year of publication (the year listed on the cover). However, even if you get the year right the answer is 'not correct' unless you give correct logic for choosing that answer. OK? Here are the clues:

1. An ad for Avco Broadcasting has photos of 4 of their sportscasters and one of them is Mr. Grande!!

2. As I leafed through the pages, three nicknames that caught my eye were: Herk, Chesty and Mr. Automatic.

3. Want to join the 'Rosie Reds'? Just send $5.00 membership dues and you were in.

4. The Reds 'Special Assignment Scout' had previously managed the Chicago Cubs.

5. One of the Reds pitchers had been used 3 times as a pinch hitter the previous season.

So, good luck and I am ready to provide more clues if you need them. You all have proven your expertise in the past though so I don't imagine that you'll need anymore help. :)

wheels
05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I wanna say 1983 because of the George Grande thing.

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Nope, not correct, wheels.

wheels
05-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Nope, not correct, wheels.

Was I close?

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Was I close?

Well...it is still a little early in the contest for 'hot' and 'cold' hints.

That comes later if we need it. :)

Marc D
05-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Joey Amalfitano was a coach of some sort for us in 1982 and he was a former Cubs manager.

That's about all I've got.

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Joey Amalfitano was a coach of some sort for us in 1982 and he was a former Cubs manager.

That's about all I've got.

Sorry, not correct.

Tony Cloninger
05-09-2008, 10:48 PM

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Why do you guess that, Tony?

Tony Cloninger
05-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I like the Smashing Pumpkins song.

The nicknames sound ....or smell like 1979 to me.

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I like the Smashing Pumpkins song.

The nicknames sound ....or smell like 1979 to me.

Ah, I see. Using your baseball instincts.

Nope, sorry. No brass ring. ;)

Joseph
05-09-2008, 11:11 PM

NM

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Wow. I may be wrong but I'd go way back to 1967. Mr. Automatic was Chico Cardenas, Chesty was Chesty Evans, a clubhouse man, Herk Robinson was part of management, Maloney pinch hit 3 times in 1966 (also in 1967), and Grande was director of broadcasting for an Avco affiliate in So California at USC where he also played baseball.

dfs
05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Bruce Kimm managed the cubs for part of 2002. He has coached for the reds although I don't know if he's held the position mentioned. Looking over the list of cub managers, he's the only name I can find that I associate with the reds.

dang...a pitcher that's pinch hit three times since 02. That should be easy to ID, although you don't say he pinch hit as a red.

Edit...I like Redleg Jake's answers better than mine.

Joseph
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Nice Redleg, that was my guess too, at least as far as the nicknames and all. Then I realized that was too early for Grande to be there, but you may well have solved it.

Bob Borkowski
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Wow. I may be wrong but I'd go way back to 1967. Mr. Automatic was Chico Cardenas, Chesty was Chesty Evans, a clubhouse man, Herk Robinson was part of management, Maloney pinch hit 3 times in 1966 (also in 1967), and Grande was director of broadcasting for an Avco affiliate in So California at USC where he also played baseball.

WINNER

You are correct about the nicknames.

Actually I was thinking of Milt Pappas concerning the pinch-hitting. Didn't know about Maloney.

Charley Metro was the former Cubs manager.

Now, the Mr. Grande mentioned in clue #1 was Carl Grande. In the pic, he kinda looks like George Grande. Could they be brothers?

Sorry, Joseph. Same time as Jake, but no 'supporting documentation'.:)

Hey, thanks for playing. You have won absolutely nothing, Jake.;)

RedlegJake
05-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Aw shucks, I'm genrous so I am sharing my winnings with Joseph.

Tony Cloninger
05-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought Ron Oester was Mister Auto........would have never guessed 1967...but the nicknames seem more like something out of the 40's and 50's really.

Joseph
05-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks Jake. :)

Bob Borkowski
05-10-2008, 12:03 AM
By the way, in the AVCO ad, the 4 photos are:

Phil Samp of Cincinnati

Omar Williams of Dayton. He recently passed away, I believe.

Jimmy Crum of Columbus

Carl Grande of Indianapolis

I would be interested in knowing whether Carl Grande is George's relative. Anyone know. :confused:

WVRedsFan
05-10-2008, 01:30 AM
By the way, in the AVCO ad, the 4 photos are:

Phil Samp of Cincinnati

Omar Williams of Dayton. He recently passed away, I believe.

Jimmy Crum of Columbus

Carl Grande of Indianapolis

I would be interested in knowing whether Carl Grande is George's relative. Anyone know. :confused:

Interesting that the 1966 yearbook has the same ad for AVCO as the yearbook you are mentioning. It includes Samp, Williams, Grande, and Crum. It also has the Rosie Reds ad with the $5.00 membership fee. Wonder if they ran these every year in the late 60"s? Of course the 65 yearbook doesn't, so that's out.

Good show, Bob. Only if I had found this thread earlier. It gave me the shivers when I looked at the record of one Milt Pappas, though. Reminded me of The Trade, you know, the earlier one and I got sick to my stomach :).

Bob Borkowski
05-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Good show, Bob. Only if I had found this thread earlier. It gave me the shivers when I looked at the record of one Milt Pappas, though. Reminded me of The Trade, you know, the earlier one and I got sick to my stomach :).

Thanks, WV. I enjoy doing these and will throw another one out there before long. As a Reds fan of many years, I find it interesting that the year 1967 is considered ancient history by the vast majority of the posters here at the Zone. I started following the Reds in 1950, so the years of '66 and '67 are pretty vivid in my memory. Can't remember where I left my glasses though. ;)

By the way, the Frank Robinson trade has been well analyzed here on the board. I have to admit however that at the time I had high hopes that it was a deal that would really help the Reds. Robby was great for Cincy but he did seem brittle and there was the concealed weapon thing. But my point is that I have always been a Reds FAN who pulled for them 100%, not so much an analyst who could step back and view things with no prejudice.