PDA

View Full Version : Weird eating habits

OldRightHander
05-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Confession time here. Do you have any eating habits that others would consider just a little weird? Foods you like, foods you don't like, ways you eat certain foods, etc. I have a few that I'm not ashamed to put here because people who know me well already know them anyway.

1. I can't stand "sloppy" food. That includes just about everything Italian and Mexican. I don't go for any of the pasta and sauce type things. I can't stand pizza, spaghetti, lasagna, any soups, etc. I want a piece of meat, a vegetable, and maybe some bread with my meal, but I want them separate.

2. Somewhat related to the above, and maybe this is something that carries over from childhood, I don't want any mingling of different food juices happening on my plate. If my steak is juicy, I don't want those juices getting on my potato or my vegetable. I'm the guy at the restaurant with things in separate dishes. Waiters love me.

3. When eating mixed nuts, it kind of ticks me off that there are more of some nuts than others, so I will try to even things out as I go. By the time I get toward the end of the can, each nut is equally represented and I get to finish the can with some of everything.

4. I really like brussels sprouts.

5. I like meat and I like bread. I just don't like them together. Hot dogs, burgers, brats...all are eaten plain without bread. I will eat ham salad on bread, but that's about it.

Ok, now that I've established myself as some kind of freak, let's see if anyone else can top me, or at least come close.

savafan
05-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I eat one thing at a time. I don't take a bite of this and a bite of that, I have to finish one item before I move on to the next.

I also have to chew each bite 30 times. This was something that was ingrained into me in childhood, and I could never escape.

GoReds33
05-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I eat one thing at a time. I don't take a bite of this and a bite of that, I have to finish one item before I move on to the next.
Me too. It's really annoying. To add to it though, usually I start with the bad stuff, that way I have something to look forward too.

savafan
05-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Me too. It's really annoying. To add to it though, usually I start with the bad stuff, that way I have something to look forward too.

Same here. The only problem with that has been when I'm struggling to get through the bad stuff and then the good stuff is cold by the time I get to it.

acredsfan
05-10-2008, 11:39 AM
How many people here eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich with your chili? It's a staple where I'm from (Adams County), but people here in Cincy look at me like I'm crazy and it's less than 50 miles away from where I'm from. It's not Cincinnati Chili I eat it with, it's a tomato based chili. Dipping it in the chili is awesome. Oh, and I also eat one thing at a time, unless I think about it and consciously try to change it.

OldRightHander
05-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Same here. I forgot to put that on my list, probably because I don't see it as weird. I always start with the meat and move on to the side dishes.

pahster
05-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I eat yellow rice with taco shells.

oneupper
05-10-2008, 12:36 PM
At home I eat five times a day. Two breakfasts (fruit and then later maybe cereal), light lunch, afternoon snack and light dinner/snack. I've actually dropped some pounds doing this.

As for weird...I cut my salad. I chop into into little pieces and mix it up with the dressing. Get strange looks sometimes in restaurants.

IslandRed
05-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I eat one thing at a time.

Same here, although with the passage of time from a six-year-old to a *coughfortysomethingcough* it's become just a habit, not a compulsion. When I catch myself doing it I'll take a couple of bites of something else just because. I also had the "foods can't touch" thing going on as a kid; likewise, that has improved with time.

Otherwise, I'm still what I would consider a picky eater -- by the time I add up the things I don't like and all the derivations thereof that I would turn down, I'm way disqualified from ever being considered a foodie. But mostly, when the subject of me and food comes up within my family, the overriding theme is the sheer quantities (relative to my size) I could put away when I was younger.

guttle11
05-10-2008, 01:00 PM
When I have a plate of breakfast food, whether that includes waffles/pancakes or not, I generally put syrup over everything that isn't fruit. Eggs, sausage, hash browns...topped off with syrup.

savafan
05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
At home I eat five times a day. Two breakfasts (fruit and then later maybe cereal), light lunch, afternoon snack and light dinner/snack. I've actually dropped some pounds doing this.

Are you a Hobbit? ;)

*BaseClogger*
05-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I swish soda around in my mouth and chew it before swallowing it. Gets some weird looks from my friends.

I put ketchup on my steak (sin!) because I don't like steak much.

I don't like lunch meats, mayonaise, or salad dressings. Sometimes I eat plain salad without dressing on it.

ORH, I'm kinda the opposite of you; I prefer the sloppy foods. Get me some good Italian pasta anyday...

OldRightHander
05-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Sometimes I eat plain salad without dressing on it.

Same here. I can't stand salad dressing.

redsfan30
05-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I love to spread Mirical Whip on white bread and eat it plain.

GAC
05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I swish soda around in my mouth and chew it before swallowing it. Gets some weird looks from my friends.

How do you chew a liquid? :lol:

I like beef liver w/onions.

One of my favorite quickie snacks is a bologna sandwich w/ peanut butter, cheese, and potato chips all in the sandwich. Been eating them since high school.

I like jello in a bowl w/milk.

sonny
05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
After I eat a sucker, I eat the stick. (seriously)

goreds2
05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I love cold leftover corn on the cobb out of the fridge the next day. (After the butter has soaked in it all night.)

bucksfan
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I spread peanut butter on a piece of cheese for a snack.

I don't like steak all that much.

I spread peanut butter on a banana for a snack. (the peanut butter thing ends here, honestly!)

I used to make "bologna tacos" in high school/college - the bologna slice is the taco shell, Miricale whip spread on on side and crumbled up cheddar cheese and bacos. Fry them briefly in a pan and eat as a taco.

TeamCasey
05-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Hmmmmm -

Mustard on a hard boiled egg.

PBJ sandwich dipped in orange juice.

Chili (the real stuff) over mashed potatoes.

Saltines and Coke.

Peanut butter and banana sandwich or on a hot dog roll.

Dom Heffner
05-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I drink 6-8 glasses of iced tea with my meals. I take a swig of tea with every bite.

My cousin waits until his meal is completely over before even touching his drink. That would drive me crazy.

And I can eat food with no condiments on them whatsoever.

And for some reason- I go on a sneezing fit after breakfast and dinner. We're talking 10 times or more. It gets rather annoying for me and everyone in the vicinity.

When someone says, "Bless you," I want to get on the PA and ask that everyone hold their comments until I'm completely finished.

*BaseClogger*
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
My favorite childhood lunch was Spaghetti-O's and tortilla chips.

KronoRed
05-11-2008, 01:13 PM
If I can't it with a fork or a spoon I don't eat it, drinks excluded.

cumberlandreds
05-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I like a slice of bologna on my chicken salad sandwich. Gives it a little more body.

Red in Chicago
05-11-2008, 03:29 PM
And for some reason- I go on a sneezing fit after breakfast and dinner. We're talking 10 times or more. It gets rather annoying for me and everyone in the vicinity.

Dom,
Please don't EVER eat at the same restaurant as me:p:

cincinnati chili
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
When I have a plate of breakfast food, whether that includes waffles/pancakes or not, I generally put syrup over everything that isn't fruit. Eggs, sausage, hash browns...topped off with syrup.

Ditto. I rarely get the chance to get a real breakfast, but when I do Syrup makes everything better.

I love to spread Mirical Whip on white bread and eat it plain.

You wouldn't happen to be a Caucasian from the Midwest would you? ;)

Undiagnosed allergy? Get tested at a reputable place if you haven't.

---

Here's mine:

When I lived as a bachelor (and when my wife's out of town at a weak moment), I ate/eat chocolate frosting right out of the container. Not healthy. Not classy. But tasty.

Cottage cheese covered in pepper.

I hate baloney, and blocked its existence from my mind for decades until this thread. I can't believe the frequency at which it has reappeared. It is a food for 4 year old boys.

I almost never crave hot dogs, and almost never eat them, except at a ball park.

That above rule applies to my Skyline Chili. I get my coneys without hot dogs (chili-cheese sandwiches).

Hate onions but like garlic, which I hear is quite a rare combination. For years I thought I was allergic to onions, but a recent allergy test said I wasn't. I just hate them.

I'm definitely a "mixer" of food. If I'm by myself, I smush everything up. Thus, I gravitate toward ethnic restaurants where this is socially acceptable to do in public (Indian, Ethiopian, Chinese, etc.). On Thanksgiving, food is piled in the middle of the plate, one thing on top of the other. Think of it as a KFC bowl with ingredients that don't suck.

redsfan30
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM

Same here...it's the WIERDEST thing! When I get real full...I sneeze...alot.

I talked to my uncle (who is my family doctor) about it one time and he said while uncommon it does happen. Something about wires leading from one place to another or something like that.

:)

Johnny Footstool
05-12-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't eat tomatoes because they are poison and cause cancer. I have proof.

Cheese on meat is disgusting. The only exception is alfredo sauce on chicken.

I don't eat meat that comes in a tube -- hot dogs, sausages, brats.

Cottage cheese covered in pepper.

My wife eats cottage cheese with jalapenos.

OldRightHander
05-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Another thing I forgot. I love cheese, but it has to be cold. Leave it out of the fridge too long and it even starts to get warm, and I won't eat it. It goes without saying that I won't eat it melted on anything either.

cincyinco
05-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Does anyone else eat Nestle Quick Chocolate Milk powder? Or Hot Chocolate powder?

I eat that, on occasion. By the spoon full.

I drink Hershey Chocolate Sauce from the bottle. I'm a chocolate hound.

When I was a kid I used to eat peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.. I absolutely can't stand peanut butter now. Even the smell makes me sick.

The only bean I eat is Green Beans and Soy Beans(like edamame). I hate pinto, baked, refried, black, etc. Can't STAND them, just like peanut butter. Makes me shudder.

I rarely eat cereal with milk. I usually eat all my cereal "dry" out of the box. This includes Fruit Loops, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats, Chex, etc. The only cereal I do eat with milk is typically a corn based cereal like Corn Chex or Corn Flakes.

I love what I call 'earthy' type foods and drinks. Grains. Wheats. Oats. This extends to coffee, sometimes tea, and beer. I like the bitter or "natural" tastes more. Absolutely no sugar or cream in my coffee - even espresso. My beers, I love Guinness if that tells you somethin. Lots of wheat and belgian styles. Lots of full flavor.

I drink my milk with ice. My wife thinks thats weird. Most people do. But I need milk to be Ice cold. Hate it when its "just cold" from the fridge. It needs to be ICE cold!@ Orange juice falls in this category sometimes as well.

I'll drink "old" soda. I'll usually open a coke late at night, take a few swigs and fall asleep. Then chug the sucker when I wake up in the morning. Its usually a bit "flat" and warm, perfect... heh. Grosses my wife out.

I will not eat most leftovers that are more than 2 days old. And I defenitely don't eat left over meats ever - except turkey and ham from thanksgiving or xmas type dinners. Reheated steak and/or other BBQ'd meats freaks me out. But not from "holiday" dinners.

I'll get "doggie" bags from eating out at restaurants all the time.. but i almost never eat the food I take home. In my mind its somehow "tainted" from sitting the time it was bagged at the restaurant to the time it took to get home.

15fan
05-12-2008, 11:26 AM
i only eat pasta if it has tomato / bolognese sauce.

not a fan of casseroles. Lasagna, however, is a-ok.

about once a year, i'll eat some grilled tuna or grilled salmon. other than that, i skip seafood. if it didn't moo, cluck, gobble, or oink, i'm generally not interested.

few things sound less appealing than soups, stews, chili, etc.

good barbecue sauce makes pretty much anything taste better.

minus5
05-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Same here and if I get seconds, I will generally wash my plate first.

Roy Tucker
05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
My weird eating habit is that I have no weird eating habits. I enjoy all foods of all kinds entirely too much.

I can recall only 2 things I've ever had that I'd never eat again, 1.) beef liver and onions (GAC, you're crazy), and 2.) fish stomach soup.

Other than that, I just love foods of all kinds, don't mind if they touch each other, don't need to eat in any order, and can never get enough.

TeamCasey
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I'll drink "old" soda. I'll usually open a coke late at night, take a few swigs and fall asleep. Then chug the sucker when I wake up in the morning. Its usually a bit "flat" and warm, perfect... heh. Grosses my wife out.

I will not eat most leftovers that are more than 2 days old.

Ditto to both those things. Soda is a bit too carbonated. Needs to "breath".

RFS62
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
My weird eating habit is that I have no weird eating habits. I enjoy all foods of all kinds entirely too much.

I can recall only 2 things I've ever had that I'd never eat again, 1.) beef liver and onions (GAC, you're crazy), and 2.) fish stomach soup.

Other than that, I just love foods of all kinds, don't mind if they touch each other, don't need to eat in any order, and can never get enough.

Yeah, same here. My only weird eating habit is that I eat too much these days. Liver and onions..... never, ever, ever, never, ever. Bleech.

KittyDuran
05-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I was a picky eater as a pre-teen. Had to have my food separate on the plate and only ate one type of food at a time. Loved bologna and mayo (still love bologna but with mustard) and hominy... which I could eat by the can. Hated meatloaf, steak, pork chops, spare ribs, liver and onions (GAC is CRAZY), and mushrooms. Still hate all on the list except for meatloaf and mushrooms. I don't know when it happened but I now mix all my foods pretty much. Some things (like supper tonight) just taste good together. BTW, I'm having salmon patties, fried potatoes, green onions, and cornbread. :)

*BaseClogger*
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Another thing I forgot. I love cheese, but it has to be cold. Leave it out of the fridge too long and it even starts to get warm, and I won't eat it. It goes without saying that I won't eat it melted on anything either.

Huh, I forgot that one too--except I'm the opposite. Melt my cheese please. Pizza?

RedlegJake
05-14-2008, 12:52 AM
I get cravings for sweets and then immediately after indulging that, I have a craving for salty food.

I can't eat a Milky Way without a bag of potato chips. I line my ice cream bowl with lots of salted pretzels and I love Payday candy bars but I wet them a bit so I can add more salt.

I love sweet and sour the same way. I section oranges and dip them in italian dressing for snacks. Sliced onions, Miracle whip and salted honey butter make great sandwiches. The Onion slices for bread. Other than these weirdnesses I am food blessed. I like almost everything, and all kinds of ethnic dishes. Even stuff that makes most people blanch. I could easily be that guy on the travel channel who eats all that strange stuff in foreign locales -I'll eat anything. Just about nothing makes me lose my lunch either. Blood, guts, smells, nothing. I could sit in the middle of a fetid sewer and eat blissfully as long as my food didn't touch the sewage. EXCEPT - maggots. They make me sick. Really psychologically ill and I can't eat for hours if I see a maggot. When I see them its like I feel them crawling around inside of me....yuchh...makes me ill even describing it. Now that's weird.

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Does anybody else hate ranch dressing?

SunDeck
05-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Peanut butter and bacon on toast. I don't think it's weird, but my wife assures me that it is.
But that's not a habit. The only thing approaching a habit for me is that I absolutely have to eat as soon as I get up in the morning. And with only a few exceptions it has been the same thing every morning for the last five years.

Chip R
05-14-2008, 09:10 AM
(GAC, you're crazy)

(GAC is CRAZY)

I think we have a consensus> :p: