PDA

View Full Version : Reds batted out of order ...

flyer85
05-11-2008, 05:03 PM
in the 9th inning according to Rotoworld as I did not get to watch. Team has become a laughingstock.

Though Corey Patterson was supposed to be at the plate, David Ross batted out of order in the ninth inning of an 8-3 loss to the Mets on Sunday.
What is this, Little League? Per MLB rules, Ross has to complete his at-bat to be ruled out, and the outcome of his at-bat is then discarded with no runners allowed to advance. The Mets allowed him to do so, and since he lined out to right there was little harm done. Ross was the batter listed in the order after Patterson, so he was forced to come back to the plate for his 'real' at-bat and Patterson was charged the out. Ross singled after returning to the batter's box. There's almost too many jokes here for us to enjoy. Corey Patterson making outs even when he's not at-bat is just one of them. As if their wasn't already overwhelming evidence that Dusty Baker is a horrible manager, this just adds more fuel to the fire.

Falls City Beer
05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
in the 9th inning according to Rotoworld as I did not get to watch. Team has become a laughingstock.

I think these guys at Rotoworld think they're seeing the big picture here. I think they're seeing what they want to see.

PuffyPig
05-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Mets alos made a dumb mistake. Just let Patterson hit, and if he gets on, them complain, and he'd be called out.

No reason to complain as long as they make outs.

reds44
05-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Dusty did this when he was managing the Cubs against the Reds as well. It's all those double switches.

Ron Madden
05-11-2008, 05:27 PM
In all the years that I've been watching baseball, I've only seen two teams bat out of order. Both teams were managed by Dusty Baker.

;)

Chip R
05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't see what's the big deal here. Dusty gives up outs all the time batting Patterson leadoff.

BCubb2003
05-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I think a Pete Rose-managed team also batted out of order once.

KronoRed
05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Mets radio guys were laughing pretty hard about it, even broke out the rule book.

Far East
05-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Isn't the lineup and double switches one of the bench coach's jobs?

Was Chris Spier the bench coach today, or someone else?

Chip R
05-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Mets radio guys were laughing pretty hard about it, even broke out the rule book.

I don't know what they're laughing at. Randolph screwed up a double switch in his 2nd game in his first season against the Reds.

CTA513
05-11-2008, 06:42 PM

He was the 3rd base coach today.

George Anderson
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Maybe the Reds players should sit on the bench in there respective batting order just like little kids do in T Ball ;)

TOBTTReds
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't know what they're laughing at. Randolph screwed up a double switch in his 2nd game in his first season against the Reds.

If I miss a layup, and my buddy misses one after me in our 1-on-1 game, I'd probably laugh at him.

wally post
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
i was listening to the game in a NY recording studio. The mets announcers were laughing at the Reds AND the umps and said it was embarrassing for the UMPS especially, because they did no know what to do and had to have a rather long meeting about it.

deltachi8
05-11-2008, 07:02 PM

The TV guys (Mets) got on Randolph for his mistake - almost more than the Reds mistake.

SandyD
05-11-2008, 07:10 PM
What's to do BUT laugh?

Now, if it happens again ...

icehole3
05-11-2008, 07:12 PM
I used to make my kids bat in the order that they field so they wouldnt get confused, LF bats first.

LF
CF
RF
1B
2B
SS
3B
C
P

everyone knew were they belonged, just trying to help Dusty out.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/giggle.gif

Spring~Fields
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I used to make my kids bat in the order that they field so they wouldnt get confused, LF bats first.

LF
CF
RF
1B
2B
SS
3B
C
P

everyone knew were they belonged, just trying to help Dusty out.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Animations/giggle.gif

You might have just solved the riddle of Dusty, maybe that is how or why he makes out his lineups. CF bats first, SS bats second, um um um Oh yeah Griffey 3rd. ;)

guttle11
05-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Might be time to lay off the double switches a bit, Dusty.

Strikes Out Looking
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Let's face it, this is an embarrassment almost as much as the Reds record.

OldXOhio
05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Batting out of order, guys getting hit by batted balls, runners getting picked off on a regular basis....what's next? Batters running straight to third after making contact?

top6
05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Let's face it, this is an embarrassment almost as much as the Reds record.
Would it really be that embarrassing if they were 10 games above .500 and/or had won that game by 10 runs?

Falls City Beer
05-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Come on--batting out of order is that big a deal? :rolleyes:

Chip R
05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Come on--batting out of order is that big a deal? :rolleyes:

Just as big of a deal as getting picked off or missing the cutoff man or throwing to the wrong base or making an error.

smith288
05-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Im at a loss of words. My son's machine pitch baseball team has an absolute ZOO in the dugout but can bat in order.

Chip R
05-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Im at a loss of words. My son's machine pitch baseball team has an absolute ZOO in the dugout but can bat in order.

Well, it's easier keeping the lineup straight when the manager is paying attention instead of telling stories about Hank Aaron.

Roy Tucker
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/SPT04/805120358/-1/CINCI

The Reds were operating without a bench coach. Bench coach Chris Speier was coaching third because third base coach Mark Berry went home to Arizona to be with his ill father.

smith288
05-12-2008, 10:47 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080512/SPT04/805120358/-1/CINCI
Sorry to hear about Mark Berry's dad but this is not an excuse. Does these grown men really need an adult to bark out the order to them after they come in from defense? Looks that way...sad.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2008, 10:53 AM
The Blue Jays batted out of order last September 1st, I think I read. So it's not just "Dusty" teams. No matter how much folks want to read a "Dusty gaffe" into every single event that doesn't go the Reds' way.

Chip R
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
The Blue Jays batted out of order last September 1st, I think I read. So it's not just "Dusty" teams. No matter how much folks want to read a "Dusty gaffe" into every single event that doesn't go the Reds' way.

This is apparantly the 3rd time Dusty's done this.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
This is apparantly the 3rd time Dusty's done this.

I heard the second time. And as others have said, it's most likely a bench coach issue anyway.

George Anderson
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I heard the second time. And as others have said, it's most likely a bench coach issue anyway.

I think its an issue of the Manager not having his head in the game. He made the change and if he was paying attention he would have known that the wrong person was at bat.

flyer85
05-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I am not pointing the finger at Dusty or anyone in particular, I was more interested in the fact that it makes the team look _________ (fill in the blank). There is no doubt it should be embarrassing to the team.

Chip R
05-12-2008, 11:05 AM

I wonder how those managers kept their lineup changes straight before they had bench coaches?

It really isn't that big of a deal but players get criticized for the mental and physical mistakes they make so Dusty should be criticized for screwing up too.

acredsfan
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Not that it means anything, but Dusty did take the blame for it. I think it's embarrasing, but to me it points to the team not having their heads in the game. I feel that this is a perfect chance for someone to take charge and make an impact. Whether it's Dusty, or even Jocketty. Make a statement that they will not accept any other mental mistakes. Shake things up, they need a wakeup call.

flyer85
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Shake things up, they need a wakeup call.it screams of complacency. Now we have a situation where there is a new GM who is stuck with a manager that he didn't select ... it is a bad recipe.

Chip R
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I heard the second time.

This was the 3rd time.

http://www.thelotd.com/lance

Roy Tucker
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry to hear about Mark Berry's dad but this is not an excuse. Does these grown men really need an adult to bark out the order to them after they come in from defense? Looks that way...sad.

Yep, not an excuse but I think a contributing factor. Dusty is probably used to Speier keeping an eye on these things and with Speier out on 3rd, it just happened.

With the Reds not playing well, it just makes them look bad plus incompetent.

Falls City Beer
05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
This was the 3rd time.

http://www.thelotd.com/lance

There you go. Thanks.

Time to fire Dusty. Let the winning BEGIN!

Nugget
05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
To be fair the CUBS thing was more of a miscommunication with the Umpire where Dusty had the lineup card as he wanted it but the umpire had a different one. I believe that the Umpire on that occasion did not see the double switch signal. As for yesterday you would think that the Umpire would have noticed that the the batting order did not comply with the his lineup card. There were actually two 10 minute delays as the Umpire conferred as to who should bat in the 9th slot and then again after Ross singled to decide whether Freel got to bat and how many outs were counted.

TeamBoone
05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Just as big of a deal as getting picked off or missing the cutoff man or throwing to the wrong base or making an error.

Speaking of getting picked off, I think Ryan Freel should stop trying to steal, especially so early in the game. He's been positively HORRIBLE!

And, yes, the bench coach was at third today. Seems like everyone should be able to read a lineup card though... apparently, they didn't look at it. In their defense, double switches can become confusing.

Matt700wlw
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Haven't the Reds been batting out of order all season? ;)

MartyFan
05-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I miss Jerry...ok, I am kidding...I do miss Mack.

Jpup
05-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Speaking of getting picked off, I think Ryan Freel should stop trying to steal, especially so early in the game. He's been positively HORRIBLE!

And, yes, the bench coach was at third today. Seems like everyone should be able to read a lineup card though... apparently, they didn't look at it. In their defense, double switches can become confusing.

It was likely that Dusty told him to steal. I know he got picked, but I also know that he didn't have much reaction after the play. It wouldn't be the first time this season.

TeamBoone
05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Then Dusty should just not tell him to anymore or when signaled to do so, Freel should be smarter at when he attempts to steal. He's been picked off so much that I've lost count.

Spring~Fields
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Well, it's easier keeping the lineup straight when the manager is paying attention instead of telling stories about Hank Aaron.

:devil:

If he only had a corn cob pipe and something to whittle on besides the lineup card while spins his tales of old.