PDA

View Full Version : Any hopes of making the playoffs this year are gone.

Kingspoint
05-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Though I realistically thought they'd win about 78 games this year, now that the season is a quarter over, I can throw the hopes I had that "if all things fell into place" that they'd make the playoffs.

The Patterson signing, Dusty Baker not being able to get these guys to play for him, the Krivsky firing, and the Dunn extended slump (though he's out of it now), has put the team into a deep enough hole that they'll never come out of it in time to contend.

For the rest of the season it's just one game at a time while trying to enjoy whatever each game can give to me.

Maybe next year.

goreds2
05-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Call me nuts but I am not giving up hope. I will evaluate us Memorial Day. :scared:

ChatterRed
05-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, while I am discouraged, I also keep in mind that it is a long season.

Reasons to be pessimistic:
Dusty's lineups
Cueto's rookie struggles
Arroyo's inconsistency
Belisle's inability
Dunn and Griffey's underachievements
Defensive lapses

Reasons to be optimistic:
Cueto has ability
Arroyo has done it before
Dunn and Griffey have done it before and could warm up
Volquez and Harang
EE, Keppinger, Votto, Phillips, and hopefully Bruce

3bCoach
05-12-2008, 06:59 AM
I thought Rusty, I mean Dusty, was supposed to attract big name free-agents to the Reds. Wasn't that one of the traits everyone wanted in a name manager?

Who are his boys? Cubs castoffs of course, Patterson and Bako.

So where are the big names? Anywhere but near Dusty, gone like the playoff hopes.

goreds2
05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
I thought Rusty, I mean Dusty, was supposed to attract big name free-agents to the Reds. Wasn't that one of the traits everyone wanted in a name manager?

Besides the money, Francisco Javier Cordero did say his signing with the Reds had a lot to do with Dusty Baker.

podgejeff_
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Dusty sucks, plain and simple. His teams won in spite of him. Players batting in the wrong order, these godawful lineups, and his idiotic notions of the CF ABSOLUTELY HAVING TO bat leadoff everyday are killing us. Patterson's hitting is barely better than the pitchers of the NL. I don't care if you have all world defense, you're still not good for the team if your hitting is THAT bad.

And he sees more ABs than anyone on the team.

There are lots of reasons we're failing, as outlined above. But Patterson and Dusty are two that could have been easily avoided.

stevekun
05-12-2008, 09:20 AM
quitters in a fanbase...real nice

IowaRed
05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
blind following with no sense of reality....real nice

ChatterRed
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
quitters in a fanbase...real nice

I hope you don't own or run a company. Or maybe you DID. (as in past tense)

Evaluating a team is part of the game.

NorrisHopper30
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I love how there is no hope with ~80% of the games left, some people's negativity around here sickens me.

I(heart)Freel
05-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I love how Dusty continues to be the scapegoat.

End it, people. The greatest lineup construction in the world wouldn't have added one single win to this season.

Players gotta play. Period.

redsfanmia
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
With the economy struggling its going to be interesting to see what the attendance will be for the rest of the season. I know I am probably not going to make anymore trips to GABP this season to watch such a terrible product and I am sure I am not alone. This team may be the worst team the Reds have had since 82.

3bCoach
05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Besides the money, Francisco Javier Cordero did say his signing with the Reds had a lot to do with Dusty Baker.

Besides the money?? There is nothing else besides the money in this biz. Get a grip, no one will come to the Reds because of Rusty. It is and always will be about cash.

IowaRed
05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I love how Dusty continues to be the scapegoat.

you say scapegoat, I say failure on every level. The most important thing he could do as manager is use his assets to put his team in position to be the most successful. Have you seen the lineup today? Patterson leading off, Dunn batting 7th. Horrible fundamentals, absurd lineups, stupid plays, batting out of order, general archaic baseball thinking, all that falls on the players? Not in my book

bgwilly31
05-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, while I am discouraged, I also keep in mind that it is a long season.

Reasons to be pessimistic:
Dusty's lineups
Cueto's rookie struggles
Arroyo's inconsistency
Belisle's inability
Dunn and Griffey's underachievements
Defensive lapses
B-phillips not quite like last year
consistency in the bats
Fundamental batting skills,via contact/sac flys/moving runners over
Fundamental baserunning skills
"catcher" situation
c-patterson,ryan freel, norris hopper

Reasons to be optimistic:
Cueto has ability
Arroyo has done it before
Dunn and Griffey have done it before and could warm up
Volquez and Harang
EE, Keppinger, Votto, Phillips, and hopefully Bruce

i added to your pessimistic list.:)

Kingspoint
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
you say scapegoat, I say failure on every level. The most important thing he could do as manager is use his assets to put his team in position to be the most successful. Have you seen the lineup today? Patterson leading off, Dunn batting 7th. Horrible fundamentals, absurd lineups, stupid plays, batting out of order, general archaic baseball thinking, all that falls on the players? Not in my book

Unbelievable, isn't it? Dunn's finally hitting, so Baker bats him 7th. Patterson continues to be his horrible self and he bats first.

If my manager batted a guy first so often when that player has shown throughout his sorry career that he can't get on base, I'd have no confidence in that manager.

Hondo
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Are the Reds wanting to Add Barry Bonds???? Maybe they can have him Play DH is Inter league games so all 3 left handed hitting Outfielders they have can be in the Lineup at the very same time...

Maybe even have Dunn play 1st so Bruce can play too...

schmidty622
05-12-2008, 08:37 PM
To be honest I never paid attention to Dusty Baker as a manager when he was with the Cubs. Now that I see him with the Reds though I do not understand how he has been even mediocre in the major leagues. He is just terrible in his lineup construction and his in game moves. I don't get it.

jmac
05-12-2008, 10:12 PM
read below.
dont know what happened to my post !

jmac
05-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Dunn is 3 for last 20 so I wouldnt exactly say "finally hitting".

Astrobuddy
05-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Dusty Baker is a horrible manager, always has been and always will be. The rest of the NLC laughed when the Reds hired him. I feel very very sorry for the pitchers, players and fans of such a storied franchise.

But the toothpick and wristband concession in Cinci will do good I think.

ThirdBaseCoach
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Dusty Baker is a horrible manager, always has been and always will be. The rest of the NLC laughed when the Reds hired him. I feel very very sorry for the pitchers, players and fans of such a storied franchise.

Ditto.

I watched him with the Cubs for four years and knew Reds fans would see the real Rusty.

Should have signed Pete.

05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
First, been said many times already, Dusty is the least of the Reds problems. He clearly has made out some bad lineups, but lineup construction is just not that meaningful. If the players hit, any lineup will score runs. If they don't, it won't. The Reds have averaged 5.6 runs a game the last 8 games, which shows that they can score even with a bad lineup.

I will say that Dusty has failed at turning around this team in terms of fundamentals. They have been horrible for the last 10 years, and are just as bad this year.

However, I am convinced that this team can contend this year. One hot streak for just a week and they are right back in this thing. Just look at the Pirates, a week ago, they were tied with the Reds for last place, and then they won 6 in a row. If the Pirates can win 6 in a row, the Reds should be able to win 10 in a row.

Very silly to give up hope this early in the season.

Mutaman
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Unbelievable, isn't it? Dunn's finally hitting, so Baker bats him 7th. .

Am I missing something? Dunn is 3 for his last 17 which is even below his regular pathetic season batting average. "Dunn's finally hitting"?? What's the basis for statements like this?

Kingspoint
05-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Dunn is 3 for last 20 so I wouldnt exactly say "finally hitting".

I guess I hadn't paid attention as much to him his last 5 games and didn't notice that.

Leave him batting #7 and be Dunn with it.

Kingspoint
05-13-2008, 02:20 AM
Am I missing something? Dunn is 3 for his last 17 which is even below his regular pathetic season batting average. "Dunn's finally hitting"?? What's the basis for statements like this?

He was hitting over .430 for a 5 game stretch prior to that.

Kingspoint
05-13-2008, 02:22 AM
He clearly has made out some bad lineups, but lineup construction is just not that meaningful.

Very true.

It's his job to get them to win....to either play up to their potential or in the case of a manager getting paid millions like Baker, to get them to play beyond their potential.

He's failed miserably so far.

mroby85
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM

How about this, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr are HORRIBLE players! Dusty Baker doesn't take the field, while i think managers can make a difference, they need their so called studs to produce, and that isn't happening on this team.