PDA

View Full Version : Now that Mike Piazza appears to be retired...

capndees
05-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Anybody notice how similar his career numbers are to another Dodger great, Duke Snider?

........HR..RBI..AVG..OBP..SLG
Snider 407 1333 .295 .380 .540
Piazza 427 1335 .308 .377 .545

dougflynn23
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
:) And only seperated by 260 or so AB's as well. Both will share residency in the Hall of Fame in 2011.

bounty37h
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
and he wil get in without any defensive skills whatsoever, are there other "catchers" -I use the term loosely with Pizzaboy- who werent very good defensively in the HOF? He might be the first inductee in the new era catchers, where hitting is king, and defense is extra.

Ahhhorsepoo
05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
hitting is king at every position.. look at the love fest for the equivalent to a cardboard cutout in left field at GABP..

bounty37h
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but catcher is a spot where defense traditionally ruled, and any offense on top of that was a bonus. Now its hard to find a decent defensive catcher. Outfielders have always been expected to hit.

Z-Fly
05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
When I hear Piazza I don't think Dodgers... I think Marlins.

capndees
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
and he wil get in without any defensive skills whatsoever, are there other "catchers" -I use the term loosely with Pizzaboy- who werent very good defensively in the HOF? He might be the first inductee in the new era catchers, where hitting is king, and defense is extra.

Mickey Cochrane, the best hitting catcher of all time until Piazza, was an average defensive catcher at best.

The notion that all catchers were defensive wizards in the past is ludicrous. Piazza was perfectly adequate defensively, and he helped a lot of teams win. Just because he wasnt Johnny Bench or Ivan Rodriguez doesnt mean he was a defensive zero.

bounty37h
05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for pointing out Cochrane, thats why I asked the question. Never said all catchers were defensive wizards, but it is def noted for years now that strong defensive catchers are a rare art these days. Catchers are scouted weighing more on their bat then their defensive ablities and calling a game then they used to be. Calling Piazza adequate isnt a ringing endorsement, and he was simply adequate at best defensively.

capndees
05-14-2008, 07:45 PM
By perfectly adequate, I meant he wouldn't hinder you from going all the way to the World Series (as the Mets did in 2000), like say starting a 38-yr-old broken down ex-superstar in RF or a 270-lb. first baseman in LF would.

The Dodgers were the worst team in baseball in '92, and then had a winning record all five years Piazza was their starting catcher (except his rookie year of '93, when they were .500). I don't think that's possible with a defensive liability behind the mask, no matter how well he hits.

tommycash
05-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Even though he didn't play there his entire career, I would say that Craig Biggio was an average catcher who will make it to the HOF because of his hitting.