PDA

View Full Version : Junior officially on the market???, heard on ESPN...

K-GAR
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
it's pretty obvious to anyone we will not be picking up his option at the end of the year and that the reds could be looking to move him if we struggled but it's never really been said out loud

I just heard on an espn radio update that the reds are "rumored" to be trying to trade Junior and the mariners are greatly interested in bringing him back.

My point is once this usually starts up in the media it's pretty much the beginning of the process of a deal happening. granted the report is very vague and not specific or even with a source, but it just seems that once this kind of speculation gets mainstream, it's usually part one of the process.

Jack Burton
05-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I hope it's true, he can't be moved fast enough imo. I find it hard to believe that any team would want him, he brings nothing to a winning ball club at this point in his career.

OesterPoster
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't get too excited. Their "source" is probably mlbtraderumors.com, whose source was Hal McCoy's article about one of Seattle's ass't to the GM watching Griffey in NY.

tommycash
05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?

Degenerate39
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.

captainmorgan07
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.

K-GAR
05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Where ever Griffey ends up I hope the man has a great last few seasons. He's always been my favorite baseball player but he has to leave the Reds for the good of the team really. I'll enjoy watching you for the mean time Griff.

agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very :dunno:at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.

K-GAR
05-12-2008, 03:47 PM
My question is if the Mariners want him back badly, does his value increase if we trade him to Seattle before he hits 600?

I think it does, i don't think it would mean we'd go from a mid-level prospect to possibly clement or balentien, but i do think it could mean the difference in a rookie ball prospect and a potentialy A+ or AA prospect

James B.
05-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.

K-GAR
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I am not saying that whether he will be traded but this rumor starts every year about this time. I think that if the reds can find a trade partner they have got to trade him this year.

very true, the difference this year being espn radio putting it out there on an update. Usually it pops up on message boards and some local papers and blogs and stuff like that, but i can't recall it ever being on a national radio show put out there like that. I might be wrong and it actually has been before but I guess this is definitley the year something will happen with pending free agency.

If he weren't traded and became a free agent, would we get draft picks? Don't you have to be considered a top tier free agent to get them?

OesterPoster
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I went through the blog entries about Junior on the Seattle paper web site...and they seem to be pretty much divided down the middle on trading for Junior. Half of them say they'll buy tickets out the wazoo to watch Griffey, while the other half say the Mariners are idiots if they acquire an aging vet like Griffey when they can have him for nothing after the season.

jmac
05-12-2008, 04:19 PM
The Mariners badly need offense their big bats are struggling mightly. How conviently that Kenny is swining the bat better these days. What will Jocketty be going after is the next big question. Junior would be more than happy to go home again.Bruce would hypothetically come up to replace him.

Jr constantly says he wants a ring and the reds record is better than the mariners right now. If he goes home, is he forfeiting his shot at a ring ?(rather than veto a trade to them, and go somewhere else)

44Magnum
05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Please let it be!

BlastFurnace
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM

I agree with you 110%. He was someone I never dreamed would play for the Reds and when Bowden pulled off that deal for him....I felt nearly as estatic as when we won the series in 1990.

The hardest part of this is what you said...it's best for the team. It's been fun watching Junior play. I only wish he could have had a better stay in his hometown.

Perhaps a trade back to Seattle will bring back some of the joy he had when he was a younger player.

BlastFurnace
05-12-2008, 04:39 PM
agree, when he got dealt to cincy it was the happiest day of my baseball fan life, my favorite player + my favorite team. It's such a shame the last 8 years have been very :dunno:at best. he's about to surpass a milestone that not many have/will ever reach and it's just not as exciting as it should be. I don't know if it's Junior's deteriorating relationship with the fans and media + injuries + his denial last year of degrading CF skills, but i've grown away from him unfortunately.

I went from a ridiculous man-crush on him as a potential reds savior to a very "oh-well" thought process on him in 8 years.

I really hope he gets traded soon, not because i want him off the reds but mainly because i want to see him happy and on a winner and to contribute. I hope he goes somewhere and leads them to a playoff birth so he can walk away from the game on a high note.

I said something very similar to you before I read your post. What a great day that was to get Griffey http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/02/10/griffey_trade_ap/

A quote within the article says "I'm finally home". Little did we know that his trip home wouldn't be so happy.

Like you, I want him to end his career on a positive note. I don't care where it is...I just want to see it be a positive ending.

redsfan1966
05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
no way griffey gets traded out of here before 600...

Red in Atl
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
The day he became a Red was one of pure joy for me. Coming off the magical '99 season and then adding JR was a sure ticket to the playoffs. And I had always dreamed of JR coming home to Cincy, once he was able to go FA. And here we were, the dream coming true a year early.

But it just never clicked, felt right, worked or whatever you want to call it. I just think its one of those crazy "curses" that make no sense and seem to have no origin, but you can't deny its happening.

Like Pedro Borbon, finally getting his peace and lifting the VooDoo curse before the '99 season, I think we need to give JR back to Seatle and see if we can be lifted from our own curse that has been ruining my summers for the last 7 years.

CRedsLarkin11
05-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I am pretty much like everyone else here. It's been a long time since I was as excited as I was the day I heard the news that Jr. Griffey was coming to the Reds. Unfortunately, that would be the best Reds moment of the next 8 years. He will not be part of a contending Reds team. If the Mariners are willing to trade for him, why not?

Krawhitham
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
it's pretty obvious to anyone we will not be picking up his option at the end of the year and that the reds could be looking to move him if we struggled but it's never really been said out loud

I just heard on an espn radio update that the reds are "rumored" to be trying to trade Junior and the mariners are greatly interested in bringing him back.

My point is once this usually starts up in the media it's pretty much the beginning of the process of a deal happening. granted the report is very vague and not specific or even with a source, but it just seems that once this kind of speculation gets mainstream, it's usually part one of the process.

Mariners have a worse record than the Reds, Jr will only approve a trade to a team that has a chance of winning the WS

ChatterRed
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I actually hope he gets traded for his own good to an AL team so he can DH and possibly just concentrate on hitting to finish out his great career. I also think it would be a nice finish for him to go home.

Newman4
05-12-2008, 07:52 PM
It's hard to read that article without thinking about where you were when you heard the news and how happy you were as a Reds fan. It's also quite sad to recall what could have been for Junior. I agree he needs to go back to his other "home" and hope for some magic. He could DH and possibly play a few more years.

schmidty622
05-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Right now, if it opened a spot for Bruce, I would trade Griffey for a player to be named. Seattle can have him if it gets his money for the rest of the year off the books and lets Bruce come up.

That of course is conditional to Griffey approving a trade.

smoke6
05-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Griffey said he wants to contend. He also said he wants to finish his carrer in Seattle. I'm interested in seeing which side of the coin he'll choose.:D

BLEEDS
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
I actually hope he gets traded for his own good to an AL team so he can DH and possibly just concentrate on hitting to finish out his great career. I also think it would be a nice finish for him to go home.

Right now, if it opened a spot for Bruce, I would trade Griffey for a player to be named. Seattle can have him if it gets his money for the rest of the year off the books and lets Bruce come up.

That of course is conditional to Griffey approving a trade.

These are the two biggest reasons that this is more than a RUMOR, it actually makes sense for both teams, and for Griffey, in both the short and long term.

If we are waiting for him to hit 600 HR's before we trade him, we might be waiting awhile.

Right now, Jay Bruce is banging down the door to get out of AAA, and he could play every day.

Also, it would be the ideal time to GET JUNIOR OUT OF THE THREE (3) HOLE!!! That more than anything is really bogging this Offense down. As long as he's on this team, he's going to be inked - not penciled - into the 3 spot. I'd personally like to see Votto there instead, he's actually the best suited to go in that spot. Somehow though, I see Baker putting BP there, as previous comments have noted, but hopefully only against lefties.

I hope for everyone's sake, they make this move, soon.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

RSNtransplant
05-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Last night @ the game out in Right field fan yelled "Hey Griffey, take Dunn with you to Seattle". Griffey yelled back "Who said I was going anywhere?"
A few minutres later he was making a hand motion yelling to the fan "turn the page". I've seen him interact with the fans out in RF lot more this year than past.

Seattle is further from 500 than Reds in tougher division. He's closer in Cincy to family/home than he would be in Seattle and the travel is worse. No way he goes to Seattle.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't think there's interest in Griffey. Last night Paul Daugherty said that a scout remarked "Junior has lost it some. They're throwing balls right by him and he has no pull power."

Another scout said "He doesn't throw well anymore"

A move will be coming to get bruce up here and it won't involve Griffey or Dunn.

muethibp
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't think there's interest in Griffey. Last night Paul Daugherty said that a scout remarked "Junior has lost it some. They're throwing balls right by him and he has no pull power."

Another scout said "He doesn't throw well anymore"

A move will be coming to get bruce up here and it won't involve Griffey or Dunn.

You have to be a scout to figure those two things out?

K-GAR
05-13-2008, 10:35 AM
this is starting to build a little more steam every day, there was a segment on sportscenter last night commenting on it and they even had buck showalter do a short bit on why it makes sense for both teams, couple that with Dusty's comments on Bruce coming up soon and it just seems like the stars are alligning for this move to happen soon.

I think with Junior the mariners dropping further out of the race might not deter them from trading for him. Get him back so he can hit 600 there, let him play out the year and either re-sign him to a cheap 1-2 year deal or let him walk.

Getting Griff back to hit 600 there would be a huge PR move for the Mariners IMO and who knows, with him DH'ing and being able to be more healthy he might spark them and help get them in contention, if he doesn't it's not a huge loss as he's not signed for anything guaranteed past this year.

Jack Burton
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Seriously, the only reason to get him is for the circus act. He's the epitome of a has been. All he's doing now is tarnishing his once polished legacy.

Ahhhorsepoo
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Junior often makes the kiss my a$$ motion to fans in RF and at a few games has hit a homer and that fan has loved him the rest of the game.. but he apparently really wants to stay here.. and for us to chase him off before we chase dunn off would be a crime..

bgwilly31
05-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Trade him now. And before he hits 600 please!

This will be an early christmas gift!

tommycash
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Jason Stark on Mike and Mike in the Morning this morning said that it is very unlikely that Griffey is traded this season. He said no team would be willing to take the 16.5 million option for next year. If Griffey is traded, does that mean his option is picked up automatically? That is what Stark alluded to this morning. I hope that is not true.

Hondo
05-13-2008, 03:57 PM
I for one do not want Griffey traded and I hope he Retires a Cincinnati Red

Jack Burton
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
He won't get traded, what team would want him at this point? It's wishful thinking now.

Oxilon
05-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Well, if you want what's best for Griffey and the Reds, than you really should want him traded.

Reds will be off the books for Griffey's salary and buyout, they can bring up Bruce and have an improvement, and Griffey will be back we it started with a better chance to see the postseason.

Hondo
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, if you want what's best for Griffey and the Reds, than you really should want him traded.

Reds will be off the books for Griffey's salary and buyout, they can bring up Bruce and have an improvement, and Griffey will be back we it started with a better chance to see the postseason.

What so the Front Office can Splurge on more Fogg's and Patterson's?

bgwilly31
05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Jason Stark on Mike and Mike in the Morning this morning said that it is very unlikely that Griffey is traded this season. He said no team would be willing to take the 16.5 million option for next year. If Griffey is traded, does that mean his option is picked up automatically? That is what Stark alluded to this morning. I hope that is not true.

Im not sure but i would think if griffey WANTS to go to seattle he could obviously take less money if he so pleases in order to go there and retire.

Which he's already said he wants to retire there.

HUHUH
05-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I hope it's true, he can't be moved fast enough imo. I find it hard to believe that any team would want him, he brings nothing to a winning ball club at this point in his career.

As he brought nothing to our losing ballclub (except more losing) at any point in his career.

Actually, the 99 Reds were pretty darn good. And then we brought Grif on board. And the whole city got excited. And at the end of the year, Grif and Larkin left the team before the last game was over. And they forced the firing of McKeown. And the Reds have sucked ever since.

Remember that?

jmac
05-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Im not sure but i would think if griffey WANTS to go to seattle he could obviously take less money if he so pleases in order to go there and retire.

Which he's already said he wants to retire there.

He also says he wants to win a ring and right now the reds would have a 2.5 game lead on the M's.
Not saying he wouldnt go but Seattle is 15-26 and 8.5 games back !

Slyder
05-14-2008, 01:09 AM

He's a liability in RF as is. As the season goes on its only going to get worse.

His knees are shot.

His future isnt with the wishbone C on his cap.

He's practically a free agent already.

Someone (a contender or Seattle) is willing to take the buyout you let Griffey go no question in my eyes. Call up Bruce and you immediately improve the defense 10 fold with Bruce's range alone.

I just wander what might have been if he could have stayed even remotely healthy.

RSNtransplant
05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't think his option automatically picks up if he is traded, but he would have to approve a trade which typically includes the player insisting his option is picked up(or some type of negotiation). If he is not traded, he is off the Reds books next year anyway, he is not owed that 16.5 unless the Reds foolishly pick up the option.

As a Sox fan and hearing JD Drew(15mil +) possibly break his wrist last night, first thought was there's an opening on Sox for Griffey. I would be happy to see the Sox trade for Griffey, he's cheaper, played in more games in 2007(and 3 year average), had better numbers in 2007(and 3 year average). He could win a championship there. Too bad they are reporting it is only a strain.

Slyder
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
I don't think his option automatically picks up if he is traded, but he would have to approve a trade which typically includes the player insisting his option is picked up(or some type of negotiation). If he is not traded, he is off the Reds books next year anyway, he is not owed that 16.5 unless the Reds foolishly pick up the option.

As a Sox fan and hearing JD Drew(15mil +) possibly break his wrist last night, first thought was there's an opening on Sox for Griffey. I would be happy to see the Sox trade for Griffey, he's cheaper, played in more games in 2007(and 3 year average), had better numbers in 2007(and 3 year average). He could win a championship there. Too bad they are reporting it is only a strain.

Griffey would be a great fit (as a hitter) but unless you have the Flash roaming CF your outfield defense would suffer. I think Boston would make a harder push for Dunn than they would Griffey at this point. Maybe Freel as a stop gap/super sub.

RSNtransplant
05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Griffey would be a great fit (as a hitter) but unless you have the Flash roaming CF your outfield defense would suffer. I think Boston would make a harder push for Dunn than they would Griffey at this point. Maybe Freel as a stop gap/super sub.

They have a LF and DH that Dunn won't supplant and Griffey's defense is no worse than Dunn's. Griffey's has no arm, but getting to the ball he looks better than Dunn, at least enough to make up the arm difference. Griffey would be upgrade over Drew, or great replacement if Drew were out for the season, the same could not be said about Dunn over Manny or Ortiz. Unloading Freel is a pipe dream for Reds fans, no one trades for that 3 million dollar contract unless the Reds eat it or take on similar contract. Lowrie and Ellsbury are better and cheaper options to Freel Sox already have.

To answer the flash question, I believe Coco is considered one of the better defensive CF

RSNtransplant
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM

and Griffey is cheaper, than Dunn.

OesterPoster
05-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Interesting comment from Hal in his blog this afternoon:

WORD OUT OF Seattle is that the Mariners have no concern over the $8 million they’d have to pay Ken Griffey Jr. the rest of this season if the acquired him now and the $16 million option for next year with a $4 million buyout.

When you want something - really, really want something - money is not much of a deterrent, is it?

aerontg
05-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I wish our team was good enough (and loaded enough with greenbacks) to have Dunn and Junior come off the bench. Who the heck would want to face them? :D That's the difference, they're really just great platoon players anymore. I know someone here is going to shoot me for saying this, and it's NOT the best way to make my first post.....but.....Dunn reminds me of Dave Kingman with a better OBP (ducks head)

UC_Ken
05-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Interesting comment from Hal in his blog this afternoon:

WORD OUT OF Seattle is that the Mariners have no concern over the $8 million they’d have to pay Ken Griffey Jr. the rest of this season if the acquired him now and the $16 million option for next year with a $4 million buyout.

When you want something - really, really want something - money is not much of a deterrent, is it?

I love Griffey but are they really that stupid to waste that money on his diminished skills? If so you've got to send him there, if he'll go. I remember when we traded for him he said he wanted to have a short flight home to Orlando and Seattle isn't any closer to Orlando than it was then. I still think he'd much rather go to an east coast team.