PDA

View Full Version : Reds-Indians Weekend Series

GAC
05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Myself, Chip, and a buddy are going down this Friday. If any other RZers are heading down then and would like to meet up prior to or after the game - maybe the In-Between or Rock Bottom - then give me a PM.

Who is scheduled to pitch Friday? I'm thinking maybe Cueto? I figure since Belisle and Arroyo pitched the dbl header on Saturday they'll be pitching Wed and Thurs games. I'd like to miss Belisle. ;)

Caseyfan21
05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Myself, Chip, and a buddy are going down this Friday. If any other RZers are heading down then and would like to meet up prior to or after the game - maybe the In-Between or Rock Bottom - then give me a PM.

Who is scheduled to pitch Friday? I'm thinking maybe Cueto? I figure since Belisle and Arroyo pitched the dbl header on Saturday they'll be pitching Wed and Thurs games. I'd like to miss Belisle. ;)

Cueto is scheduled Friday.

Saturday looks like the game of the series...Harang vs. Carmona.

fearofpopvol1
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Cueto is scheduled Friday.

Saturday looks like the game of the series...Harang vs. Carmona.

You must have missed the Sunday matchup then...Volquez Vs. Lee. 2 Best ERAs respectively in the AL and NL head to head.

GAC
05-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like we get to see Red's "reject" (or missed opportunity) Sowers Friday. ;)

Looks like the weather is gonna give us a "window" to get this game in before the rain moves back in for the weekend.

Caseyfan21
05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
You must have missed the Sunday matchup then...Volquez Vs. Lee. 2 Best ERAs respectively in the AL and NL head to head.

Ah, when I looked the Sunday matchup hadn't been posted.

Falls City Beer
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I can't begin to describe how much I hate interleague play. I used to be indifferent, but man, I hate it now.

Raisor
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
With another hitter in the lineup, this will give Dusty a chance to hit Dunn 8th or 9th.

Awesome.

OnBaseMachine
05-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I can't begin to describe how much I hate interleague play. I used to be indifferent, but man, I hate it now.

I normally like it, but the Reds have a brutal interleague schedule this year - vs Indians, vs Red Sox, at Yankees, at Blue Jays, at Indians. It's not right that the Reds face all those great teams and other teams in the division get to play the Royals and Orioles.

KronoRed
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
With another hitter in the lineup, this will give Dusty a chance to hit Dunn 8th or 9th.

Awesome.

Of course the favorite son will still bat leadoff, gotta help him out of his slump.:cool:

Yachtzee
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM

Interleague means I can see the Reds play the Indians on TV this weekend and might be able to check them out when the Reds come up here. Even taking that into consideration, I would prefer the Reds had more games against teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Giants, and Phillies than the annual interleague games. I would love it if they dumped interleague and went with a more balanced schedule. I think it gives the Reds more games against historic rivals like the Dodgers and Braves and makes the Wild Card race a bit more fair.

redsrule2500
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm seeing Sunday's game...Lee v. Volquez, should be good stuff.

I too, hate interleague play. It makes me feel like a traitor going to one of these games with a indians fan friend...supporting interleague.

redsmetz
05-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I found a taker for the Saturday tickets I have, but I've still got three tickets for tonights game. PM or send an email if you want them.

Highlifeman21
05-16-2008, 09:29 AM
The Indians offense has been arguably worse than ours to date this season.

I expect our arms to wake up the Tribe's bats...

Although, it would be poetic justice if by some magical alignment of the Sun, the Moon, the Earth and the stars the Reds won both series against the Indians, and the Indians went on to not only make the playoffs, but win the World Series. Or maybe it would just be ironic. Regardless, I'd be amused.

BRM
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Awesome.

You say that like it's a bad thing. His walks should play well in the 9 hole.

Chip R
05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
You say that like it's a bad thing. His walks should play well in the 9 hole.

We prefer to call him our second leadoff hitter.

bucksfan
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
We are heading down for the Saturday game. Same goes for us regarding anyone that wants to meet up. We are in the club seats section 303 (I just do this 1x/yr!). Should be at the Inn Between pre-game - have no idea about post game yet.

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Thinking out loud 5.16
Friday, May 16, 2008, 10:46 AM EST [General]

Here we are, interleague play, the biggest joke in a long line of jokes that is baseball scheduling.

Let's see, the Reds get to play six games against the Indians and three each against the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays. The Cubs don't play either the Yankees or Red Sox. Seems fair.

It may not make a difference this year, but it could in the future. The Reds are punished that they're in one of the same state as one of th best organizations in baseball, while the Cardinals have been able to play the Royals six times for several years in a row now.

Last season the Cubs played only 12 games against the stronger American League, while the Brewers played 15 games against AL teams. While the teams had similar winning percentages (the three teams the Cubs played -- the White Sox mariners and Rangers had a .484 winning percentage, and the four teams the Brewers played, the Tigers, Royals, Twins and Rangers had a .480 winning percentage), the Cubs played the 72-90 White Sox six times and the Brewers played the 79-83 Twins six times.

The Cubs were 8-4 in Interleague play, the Brewers 8-7 and Chicago won the division by two games.

While their opponents had similar winning percentages, teh Brewers' four interleague opponents had a .639 winning percentage in interleague play, while the Cubs' three opponents had a .444 winning percentage in interleague play. The Rangers were the only American League team on the Cubs' schedule that had a winning interleague record -- and they played the Brewers too (the Rangers were 1-2 against both the Cubs and Brewers).

The difference between the two teams came down to the Cubs' two series against the White Sox (the Cubs went 5-1 against their cross-town rivals) and the Brewers' two series against thier "rival" Twins (Milwaukee was 3-3 against Minnesota.)

Really, interleague play has run its course. It was to try to get people interested again after the strike of 1994. It's happened, it worked, it's done.

Interleague play is why you only see the Mets once a year, or the Giants or the Marlins or the Braves (there is a quirk this season that brings the Dodgers twice this season). With no other trip to Cincinnati this season, the Marlins and Reds will have to squeeze in another trip to Cincinnati at some point.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Matt700wlw
05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
To make it "interesting" again...play the DH in the NL parks, and the real rules in the AL parks...

I really don't mind interleague play, ultimately, but it probably has lost it's purpose.

nate
05-16-2008, 11:42 AM
To make it "interesting" again...play the DH in the NL parks, and the real rules in the AL parks...

I really don't mind interleague play, ultimately, but it probably has lost it's purpose.

I think in order to make it interesting again, they should stop doing it.

For about a hundred years.

Chip R
05-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I think in order to make it interesting again, they should stop doing it.

For about a hundred years.

I'd rather not see it but I'm resigned to it. But I think they should cut back on it. Have one or two series instead. Have the Reds play CLE either home and/or away. Yankees play the Mets, Angels play the Dodgers, Rangers play the Astros and so on.

Matt700wlw
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Like or not, Reds vs Red Sox is pretty cool...first time they've been here since the 1975 World Series

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 12:15 PM
LEAGUE-SWITCHERS
OF THE WEEK

Uh-oh. Interleague play is back. So here's everything you need to know about the 2008 interleague schedule:

TOUGHEST SCHEDULE -- The Reds' 15 interleague games are against the Indians, Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays.

EASIEST SCHEDULE -- The Indians' 18 interleague games are against teams currently a combined 32 games under .500: the Reds, Rockies, Padres, Giants and Dodgers.

TEAMS WITH NO "RIVALS" -- Braves, Phillies, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Tigers.

TEAMS WITH THE STRANGEST "RIVAL" -- Every interleague "rivalry" has a geographic connection except one. That's the Padres and Mariners, conveniently located 1,064 miles apart the last time we checked.

NL TEAMS THAT PLAY TEAMS FROM ALL 3 AL DIVISIONS -- Nationals, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Padres, Giants.

AL TEAMS THAT PLAY TEAMS FROM ALL 3 NL DIVISIONS -- Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, Royals.

MYSTERY WE'D LIKE CLEARED UP -- The AL East is matched up with the NL Central this year. So how come the Cubs don't play either the Red Sox or Yankees?

YANKEES-RED SOX INTERLEAGUE CONTROVERSY WAITING TO HAPPEN -- Instead of a matchup against the Cubs, the Yankees get three games against the Padres (currently 11 games under .500). The Red Sox, on the other hand, get three against the Diamondbacks (currently 10 games over .500).

BEST INTERLEAGUE ITINERARY -- Between June 2 and July 6, the White Sox have to play only three series on the road. One of them is the grueling journey up Lake Shore Drive to Wrigley.

TIME-ZONE TOURISTS -- Thanks to the joys of interleague play, the Indians get to play in all four time zones in just 15 days in June. They'll zigzag through Cleveland (ET), Denver (MT), L.A. (PT) and Chicago (CT).

MOST GEOGRAPHICALLY GOOFY INTERLEAGUE ROAD TRIP -- The Nationals go from Pittsburgh to Seattle to Minnesota next month. Hey, anybody in that schedule office got a map?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

GAC
05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Like or not, Reds vs Red Sox is pretty cool...first time they've been here since the 1975 World Series

And since it's a "premium" game, it will be a huge money-maker.

Always follow the trail. ;)

But I agree with the rest of you. I'm not a fan of inter-league play. I could see a compromise though where teams like the Red-Indians, and maybe other intra-state rivals (Cubs-Sox, etc) might play a series once a year, rotating the home team yearly.

RichRed
05-16-2008, 01:08 PM
We prefer to call him our second leadoff hitter.

I like to call him our 5th-Alternate Cleanup hitter.

Falls City Beer
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
LEAGUE-SWITCHERS
OF THE WEEK

Uh-oh. Interleague play is back. So here's everything you need to know about the 2008 interleague schedule:

TOUGHEST SCHEDULE -- The Reds' 15 interleague games are against the Indians, Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays.

EASIEST SCHEDULE -- The Indians' 18 interleague games are against teams currently a combined 32 games under .500: the Reds, Rockies, Padres, Giants and Dodgers.

TEAMS WITH NO "RIVALS" -- Braves, Phillies, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Rockies, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Tigers.

TEAMS WITH THE STRANGEST "RIVAL" -- Every interleague "rivalry" has a geographic connection except one. That's the Padres and Mariners, conveniently located 1,064 miles apart the last time we checked.

NL TEAMS THAT PLAY TEAMS FROM ALL 3 AL DIVISIONS -- Nationals, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Padres, Giants.

AL TEAMS THAT PLAY TEAMS FROM ALL 3 NL DIVISIONS -- Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, Royals.

MYSTERY WE'D LIKE CLEARED UP -- The AL East is matched up with the NL Central this year. So how come the Cubs don't play either the Red Sox or Yankees?

YANKEES-RED SOX INTERLEAGUE CONTROVERSY WAITING TO HAPPEN -- Instead of a matchup against the Cubs, the Yankees get three games against the Padres (currently 11 games under .500). The Red Sox, on the other hand, get three against the Diamondbacks (currently 10 games over .500).

BEST INTERLEAGUE ITINERARY -- Between June 2 and July 6, the White Sox have to play only three series on the road. One of them is the grueling journey up Lake Shore Drive to Wrigley.

TIME-ZONE TOURISTS -- Thanks to the joys of interleague play, the Indians get to play in all four time zones in just 15 days in June. They'll zigzag through Cleveland (ET), Denver (MT), L.A. (PT) and Chicago (CT).

MOST GEOGRAPHICALLY GOOFY INTERLEAGUE ROAD TRIP -- The Nationals go from Pittsburgh to Seattle to Minnesota next month. Hey, anybody in that schedule office got a map?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

I think I'd rather face the Yanks and Jays rather than the Rays (at least right now).

WebScorpion
05-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Well, it would probably help if they fixed the imbalanced number of teams in the AL West and the NL Central. With 5 teams in each division, you could at least ensure that all the teams in a given division had the same opponents in their 5 interleague matchups.

BCubb2003
05-18-2008, 01:48 AM
To make it interesting they should have to play by 1867 rules.

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Since interleague play seems to have run its course, why not do international play? Invite over some Japanese teams and give each MLB team a home series with one of them.

Or, what about inter-sport play? I can see it now:
Cincinnati Reds v. Green Bay Packers
Milwaukee Brewers v. Phoenix Suns
Chicago Cubs v. Arsenal
Pittsburgh Pirates v. Tiger Woods

Think of the money!

GAC
05-18-2008, 05:57 AM
We saw a good game Friday night. Had pretty solid field level seats down the 1st base line.

Blame Chip for those 3 Hrs in the 6th.

He just had to bring up the fact that Cueto had a no-no after 5, then.... BAM! :lol:

WMR
05-18-2008, 06:54 AM
How in the hell do the scrubs avoid playing the Red Sox AND the Skankees???? :rolleyes:

blumj
05-18-2008, 08:35 AM
How in the hell do the scrubs avoid playing the Red Sox AND the Skankees???? :rolleyes:

There's no money in it. MLB tries to use the Yanks and Sox to help sell out stadiums that normally wouldn't, and the Cubs don't need the help.

WMR
05-18-2008, 08:48 AM
There's no money in it. MLB tries to use the Yanks and Sox to help sell out stadiums that normally wouldn't, and the Cubs don't need the help.

Sawks @ Reds I can understand. But if they're going to have the Reds play the Sawks then how does playing AT Yankee Stadium help Reds attendance? Positively unfair.

blumj
05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Sawks @ Reds I can understand. But if they're going to have the Reds play the Sawks then how does playing AT Yankee Stadium help Reds attendance? Positively unfair.
It might help a little, because I think teams do get a cut of road ticket revenue, but mostly it's that the Cubs can help the Rays or Jays attendance by playing at Tampa or Toronto more than the Reds would, too. They're not trying to be fair, and, even if they were, they don't really know which teams are going to be good in a given season, never mind which ones will be good during the small portion of the season when interleague games are played. The Yankees don't even seem like a particularly tough team to play right now. I wouldn't bet against them being good in August and September, but the Reds won't have to worry about them then.

WMR
05-18-2008, 09:46 AM
It might help a little, because I think teams do get a cut of road ticket revenue, but mostly it's that the Cubs can help the Rays or Jays attendance by playing at Tampa or Toronto more than the Reds would, too. They're not trying to be fair, and, even if they were, they don't really know which teams are going to be good in a given season, never mind which ones will be good during the small portion of the season when interleague games are played. The Yankees don't even seem like a particularly tough team to play right now. I wouldn't bet against them being good in August and September, but the Reds won't have to worry about them then.

You make good points... it's just such a competitive disadvantage, it really takes away from the overall fairness of the sport. They should follow the NFL model and compile match-ups based upon previous year records. That wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be the "most fair."

As we all know, however, there are no lengths to which MLB won't ***** out it's product for the almighty dollar, the sanctity of the game be damned.

Yachtzee
05-18-2008, 10:05 AM

The Yankees came to GABP last time I think. Don't they do it on a rotation? Actually I think it took a while for the Reds to face the Red Sox when Interleague play first started because the Reds kept swapping opponents with other teams in their division so that they could get a home and home series against the Indians every season.

The Reds playing the Red Sox and Yankees is a nice novelty, but again I'd still rather see more games against old rivals like the Dodgers, Giants and Braves. What about old playoff rivals like the Phillies and Mets? More games against the Reds-like substance in DC? Is the boost they get from those games enough to offset the downer effect of putting the Rays or Blue Jays on the schedule?

I think it would be the same for the Pirates. What would draw more fans? Interleague matchups? The closest team is Cleveland, which if anything seems to have more of a rivalry with the Reds than with the Pirates. Baltimore? Toronto? Nope. Their best rivalry is against the Phillies, in another NL division.

membengal
05-18-2008, 10:25 AM
At this particular point in time, might be slightly easier to have drawn the Yankees than the Rays...

blumj
05-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I still like interleague in general because I like anything that makes it so you play more different teams, and dislike anything that makes it so you play the same teams over and over all the time. So, I like interleague, but not the 6 game a year natural rivalries, and I don't like playing intra-division teams 18 or 19 times a year. Anything they could do to make it so teams play their non-division league opponents more often, and play a great variety of interleague opponents, would make me happy.

vaticanplum
05-18-2008, 11:05 AM
You make good points... it's just such a competitive disadvantage, it really takes away from the overall fairness of the sport. They should follow the NFL model and compile match-ups based upon previous year records. That wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be the "most fair."

As we all know, however, there are no lengths to which MLB won't ***** out it's product for the almighty dollar, the sanctity of the game be damned.

I'm 99% positive that the Cubs played both the Yankees and the Red Sox in 2005, and they played at least the Yankees in the previous interleague rotation which would have been 2002. The Reds, by contrast, missed the Yankees last rotation. Much as I'd like to lay the blame for this at the feet of the MLB moneymongers, in this case I think it really is just a matter of the standard interleague matchup rotation and the problem of a five-team division facing a six-team one.