PDA

View Full Version : Brantley=Great on TV; not very good on radio

Blitz Dorsey
05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
I go to only 2-3 Reds games in person per year, but I never miss a game on TV or radio. I think I'm as qualified to speak on this matter as anyone:

Jeff Brantley (will I get sued if I call him Jeff and not Cowboy?) is excellent as a color man on TV. He is informal and he is entertaining. Sometimes the entertainment comes in the form of unitentional comedy (he says something serious, but it's hilarious because he says it in "Cowboy tone" as I call it).

Brantley on radio is not good. And actually I should be clear and say in his role with the Reds where he has to do PBP on the radio he is not good. He should never be doing PBP. He should only be a color man whether it's radio or TV. On TV, he is always a color man and he is very good. He is so much more informal than Chris Welsh that it's not even funny. Brantley rubs people the wrong way, but he knows a heck of a lot more about baseball than Welsh. And Brantley (who was a much better player than Welsh obviously) talks about his playing days on TV broadcasts less than Welsh does. Welsh makes so many references to his playing career you almost forget how bad he was.

Anyway, I shouldn't get off the point. From all of my hours wasted watching and listening to the Reds, Brantley is the best color PBP man we have. The TV broadcasts of Thom Brennaman and Jeff Brantley are top notch.

Reds announcers power rankings (including pre and post-game guys):

1. Thom Brennaman
2. Marty Brennaman
3. Jeff Brantley
4. Jim Day
5. Jeff Picorro
6. Chris Welsh
499. George Grande

PS: I think the AAA call-up announcer did well Monday night on the radio broadcast. But I haven't heard enough of him yet to include him in the soon-to-be-world-famous power rankings.

fearofpopvol1
05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree completely. Brantley isn't so great on radio, but he is really good analyzing pitchers and hitters on TV. He does say some dumb stuff, but I like him on TV for sure.

Virginia Beach Reds
05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
I love Brantley in every form, radio or TV. With the way the Reds are hitting early in the season, we all need reasons to laugh. Brantley is great, in my opinion.

He knows alot about the game as a former player, but he doesn't continually make fun of the way he played the game like a lot of Chris Welshes do :) Most know that Chris stunk, and he knows it too by continually talking about it on air.

reds44
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Why can't Marty just do play by play all the time on the radio?

RedsManRick
05-13-2008, 10:23 PM
TV gives him a reason so sit back and interject as the mood strikes him. Radio is just too forced.

SMcGavin
05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Completely agree about Brantley. I like him as an analyst on TV but he is awful when he has to do PBP on the radio.

top6
05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Yesterday he said - and I don't think he was being sarcastic - that you don't always want to get the better end of a trade, because then no teams will trade with you.

Yeah, he's pretty awesome.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't think it's possible to be any worse on radio than Brantley.

Listening to the new guy is a breath of fresh air.

Ron Madden
05-14-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't think it's possible to be any worse on radio than Brantley.

Listening to the new guy is a breath of fresh air.

I agree 100%. Brantley is the worst radio play by play announcer I've ever heard.

I think Jim Kelch sounds great. He paints the picture for listeners while keeping them well informed. He even mentioned WHIP tonight.

Chip R
05-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Jeff Brantley (will I get sued if I call him Jeff and not Cowboy?) is excellent as a color man on TV. He is informal and he is entertaining. Sometimes the entertainment comes in the form of unitentional comedy (he says something serious, but it's hilarious because he says it in "Cowboy tone" as I call it).

Brantley on radio is not good. And actually I should be clear and say in his role with the Reds where he has to do PBP on the radio he is not good. He should never be doing PBP. He should only be a color man whether it's radio or TV. On TV, he is always a color man and he is very good. He is so much more informal than Chris Welsh that it's not even funny. Brantley rubs people the wrong way, but he knows a heck of a lot more about baseball than Welsh. And Brantley (who was a much better player than Welsh obviously) talks about his playing days on TV broadcasts less than Welsh does. Welsh makes so many references to his playing career you almost forget how bad he was.

I pretty much agree with you. He is downright awful at play by play and he tends to get caught up in Marty's shenanigans. He is good at analysis and that's where TV suits him.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2008, 09:19 AM
'thank ya marty'

BuckeyeRedleg
05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
On radio he seems to be trying to hard to have a "radio" voice.

I'm not sure if he's trying to sound like Harry Carey or Gary Burbank's, Gilbert Gnarley character.

Blitz Dorsey
05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
LOL. He said Gilbert Gnarley.

"Ya know what makes me sick? Ya know what makes me so angry I could feed Tony LaRussa to some rabid pit pulls?"

Heath
05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree 100%. Brantley is the worst radio play by play announcer I've ever heard.

I think Jim Kelch sounds great. He paints the picture for listeners while keeping them well informed. He even mentioned WHIP tonight.

He knew Marty was in the *cough* little announcer's room. ;)

I could handle TB and the Cowboy as a full-time TV team. I'd be ok with that.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Actually, not Gilbert Gnarley. I meant that old man voice Burbank used when he'd make prank calls.

StillFunkyB
05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I can't stand Jeff Brantley.

I dislike him more than Grande. Then again, Grande doesn't bother me as much as it does some of the people out there.

Not a real big fan of Welsh either.

I enjoyed the couple of times Pete has been on TV though :)