PDA

View Full Version : Which Players Would You Try To Move Or Trade

Spring~Fields
05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
If you were Jocketty which player or players would you try move or trade in an attempt to upgrade the Reds team?

Which areas of the team would you be looking to upgrade, infield, catchers, outfield, pitching, bench, ? .

Infielders - Votto, Encarcion, Keppinger, Phillips, Hatteberg
Catchers - Bako, Ross, Valentin
Outfielders - Hairston, Freel, Griffey, Patterson, Dunn

Pitchers
Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo, Cordero,
Affeldt, Burton, Bray, Lincoln, Weathers, Belisle, Fogg

Minor League AAA
Infielders - Kevin Barker, Luis Bolivar, Andy Green, Paul Janish, Andy Phillips, Adam Rosales
Catchers - Colina, Hanigan
Outfielders - Bruce, Dickerson, Cabrera, Anderson

Pitchers
Bailey, Lehr, Shearn, Maloney, Pettyjohn, Adkins,
McBeth, Herrera, Pelland, Mallett, Brower, Coffey, Majewski

Minor League AA
Infielders - Griffin, Anderson, Valaika, Gil, Eyemann, Gutierrez
Catchers - Tatum, Kroski
Outfielders - Cumberland, Strait, Henry, Szymanski

Pitchers - Thompson, Roenicke, Ramirez, Jukich, Hrynio, Manuel, Viola,
Lutz, LeCure, James, Avery, Fisher

PuffyPig
05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Looking into the future,we are likley OK at first, second, third and right field.

We need to upgrade at SS, cather, CF and LF. Unless Dunn is resigned.

It's critical going forward for us to have a very successful team, that we need upgrades to our fielding.

In the minors, we may have a viable CF in Stubbs, and a viable LF in Frazier.
BUt they wouldn't be available,even if they progress,for awhile.

There does not appear to be any catcher or SS down there who is likely to be the answer, though we will shortly find out about Janish.

So, I would target a young catcher and SS in any trade.

I would be trying to move GRiffey big time. And unless Dunn is going to be resigned, try and move him after June 15 (or before with his consent).

Benihana
05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Looking into the future,we are likley OK at first, second, third and right field.

It's critical going forward for us to have a very successful team, that we need upgrades to our fielding.

There does not appear to be any catcher or SS down there who is likely to be the answer, though we will shortly find out about Janish.

I would be trying to move GRiffey big time. And unless Dunn is going to be resigned, try and move him after June 15 (or before with his consent).

Agreed. Frazier and Stubbs won't be ready until 2010 (at the earliest.) We can sign free agents at LF and CF as stopgaps.

Will M
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM

1. 100% agree on the fielding issue. I would like to see a team where everyone is at least competent and the key positions (SS/CF/C) are above average.

2. Finding a catcher is critical. Ross and Javy don't get it done. Bako has been great so far but lets be realistic about his production going forward.

Highlifeman21
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
If you were Jocketty which player or players would you try move or trade in an attempt to upgrade the Reds team?

Which areas of the team would you be looking to upgrade, infield, catchers, outfield, pitching, bench, ? .

Infielders - Votto, Encarcion, Keppinger, Phillips, Hatteberg
Catchers - Bako, Ross, Valentin
Outfielders - Hairston, Freel, Griffey, Patterson, Dunn

Pitchers
Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo, Cordero,
Affeldt, Burton, Bray, Lincoln, Weathers, Belisle, Fogg

Minor League AAA
Infielders - Kevin Barker, Luis Bolivar, Andy Green, Paul Janish, Andy Phillips, Adam Rosales
Catchers - Colina, Hanigan
Outfielders - Bruce, Dickerson, Cabrera, Anderson

Pitchers
Bailey, Lehr, Shearn, Maloney, Pettyjohn, Adkins,
McBeth, Herrera, Pelland, Mallett, Brower, Coffey, Majewski

Minor League AA
Infielders - Griffin, Anderson, Valaika, Gil, Eyemann, Gutierrez
Catchers - Tatum, Kroski
Outfielders - Cumberland, Strait, Henry, Szymanski

Pitchers - Thompson, Roenicke, Ramirez, Jukich, Hrynio, Manuel, Viola,
Lutz, LeCure, James, Avery, Fisher

Every name bolded is a guy that is moveable, IMO. Bailey's the only borderline, but if a good offer is out there for him, you at least have to listen and then assess how it helps the team. I almost bolded Dunn, but I'm steadfastly convinced that his greatest value to the Reds is to remain a Red.

Rojo
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
2. Finding a catcher is critical. Ross and Javy don't get it done. Bako has been great so far but lets be realistic about his production going forward.

I might be the only one who doesn't think its that critical. I'm happy with a couple of catch-and-throw guys.

I'd prioritize centerfielders and shortstops.

schroomytunes
05-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I think I'm in agreement with Highlifeman on this one. We need definite upgrades at C/SS to be able to compete at all next year. I would like to see us keep Dunn, he has a nice OBP and isnt as bad as we think. What this team is lacking is some RH OF pop to bat either in front or behind him. Any of those in bold should be at least mentioned in trade talks, these are guys that I would like to pursue either during the season, or in FA.

C-Kelly Shoppach(CLE) Michael Barrett(SD) Gerald Laird(TEX)

OF-Pat Burrell(PHL) Rocco Baldelli(TB) Coco Crisp(BOS) Matt Kemp(LAD)

SS-Adam Everett(MIN) Khalil Greene(SD)-not much pop from either but excelent gloves....but I would like to give Janish a try!

WVRedsFan
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
We all pretty much are saying the same thing.

Kepppinger and Gonzalez are both alright, but not championship caliber, so SS is a concern. Trade Gonzalez and look for the right deal for short. Until that time Keppinger can be an adequate fill-in until we do, and then he can be used nearly everyday somewhere

The catchers are horrible (Ross and Javy already are and Bako will come down to earth eventually). Of course, that's a tough position to fill, so that may be Jocketty's biggest job.

We need to do something soon about our glut of outfielders. Dunn and Griffey will probably be gone next year one way or another and you're left with Hopper, Freel, Patterson, and Hairston to fill those two positions. oh yeah, and Jay Bruce, but you can see that two of the three positions could be filled with not the best choices. That would make keeping Dunn possible, but if you do, you need to let someone go.

The club does not need Josh Fogg or Matt Belisle. I'd just as soon see Homer get bombed. At least he has an upside. I would also look at upgrading the bullpen. I'm not impressed with Lincoln, Burton, or Bray like many folks and Weathers is just about worn out.

To me, it looks like a total rebuild.

Will M
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Looking to the future:

Our 'catcher of the future' is in A ball. We have some suspects in AA/AAA.

Our 'CF of the future' is in A+. Dickerson is in AAA.

We have Gonzo under contract for 2009. We have Kep, Janish & Valaika.
IMO the catcher and CF poisitions are more important than SS.

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
check out who has played SS for the last few World Series Champions...

reds44
05-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Julio Lugo, David Eckstein, Juan Uribe, Edgar Renteria