PDA

View Full Version : Janish gets the call....

Joseph
05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
No shock there I don't think. Let's hope the kid grabs it and doesn't let go.

Louisville Bats shortstop Paul Janish was a bit surprised when manager Rick Sweet pulled him from last night's 5-3 victory over the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees before he could bat in the eighth inning.
Advertisement

"He kind of looked at me startled," Sweet said. "I said, 'Hey, you're going to the big leagues; I don't have time to play you here.' "

Cincinnati director of player personnel Terry Reynolds called Sweet's cell phone in the middle of the eighth and told him that Reds shortstop Jeff Keppinger was injured in last night's game against Florida and that Janish was the man to replace him.

"It's still setting in," Janish said. "It's kind of surreal."

The call-up came at a perfect time for the 25-year-old Houston native. It just so happened that his mother, Debbie, was at last night's game and was set to stay the entire week. His father, Tom, was scheduled to fly here from Houston on Friday.

After being pulled from the game, Janish immediately showered and joined his mother among the 7,348 in the Louisville Slugger Field stands to tell her the news. He also called his father.

"It came at a really good time," he said. "I feel good pretty much doing everything right now, which is ideal. That's half the battle. Hopefully, it will carry over."

Janish, a defensive wizard, will make his major league debut after hitting .293 with the Bats this season. In his last six games he was 9 for 20 with a homer and four RBIs.

"When he came up last year, he struggled at first offensively," Sweet said. "He's matured into a very good player. He deserves this. He's ready to go up there and play and help out."

The Bats made it four straight victories -- their longest winning streak this season -- as pitcher Adam Pettyjohn (4-0) remained perfect in his eighth start.

He had anything but a perfect first inning. He walked leadoff batter Brett Gardner, gave up a bunt single to Justin Christian, then hit Jason Lane to load the bases with none out. But Pettyjohn buckled down, allowing just one run.

The Bats took the lead for good with a three-run second. Janish and Drew T. Anderson had RBI singles, and Janish scored the third run on sheer hustle. When Gardner fell backward on the warning track in center field while catching Andy Green's drive, Janish tagged and scored all the way from second.

The Yankees loaded the bases with none out in the seventh, and reliever Tyler Pelland walked in a run. But Gary Majewski came on and got Christian to ground into a double play and Lane to fly out to center.

The Bats added an insurance run in the seventh on Jolbert Cabrera's triple off right fielder Matt Carson's glove and Jay Bruce's RBI single.

Will M
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I was hoping that Janish would get some playing time this year just not due to an injury. He has a great glove. Lets see if he can hit a little.
An OPS of .700 would be fine.

Joseph
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
If he's as good defensively as billed, and he can hit .250-.260, I don't see why we should let him go back down at all.

For all the poor at bats Patterson has brought, seeing him defensively has been impressive, I'm hoping Janish is that kind of defender in relation to what we've run out at SS since Larkins prime.

Joseph
05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
The official announcement from the Reds.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080514&content_id=2698592&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- As expected, Reds shortstop Jeff Keppinger was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday because of a fractured left kneecap.

Cincinnati called up shortstop Paul Janish from Triple-A Louisville to replace Keppinger on the 25-man roster.

Keppinger fouled a pitch hard off of his left leg in the second inning of Tuesday's 5-3 Reds win over the Florida, but didn't leave the game until he was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fourth. An X-ray revealed the fracture, but an MRI exam was scheduled for Wednesday.

This is Janish's first promotion to the Major Leagues. In 35 games for Louisville, the 25-year-old batted .293 with four home runs and 20 RBIs. The 2004 fifth-round Draft pick was also on a seven-game hitting streak.

Janish was 1-for-2 in Tuesday's game vs. Scranton when he was lifted for a pinch-hitter and informed he was going to the big leagues in the wake of Keppinger's injury.

The Reds have assigned Janish to wear No. 7.

Wearing number 7? The ghosts of Juan Castro!

Chip R
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
The official announcement from the Reds.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080514&content_id=2698592&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Wearing number 7? The ghosts of Juan Castro!

I can't believe they haven't retired his number yet.

Joseph
05-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm fairly amazed we didn't deal Volquez to the Rockies to get him back.

But I digress.

I hope Janish fields as well as Castro was supposed to field.

LincolnparkRed
05-14-2008, 12:42 PM
I can't believe they haven't retired his number yet.
They will hang it up with manos de oro over the top

Mario-Rijo
05-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Come on Janish we need a real all around SS and one who comes cheap to boot. We're rooting for ya. :thumbup:

lollipopcurve
05-14-2008, 02:49 PM
we need a real all around SS

Janish is defense first. His ceiling offensively is pretty low, though he may become adequate over time. Just don't expect much.

buckeyenut
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Will he start or will we see Hairston Jr at SS every day?

Will M
05-14-2008, 03:52 PM

don't know yet. IMO Janish should definitely start when the strikeout pitchers ( Harang and Volquez ) are NOT on the mound. the other guys need all the help they can get and we can't afford to give up outs. we can't have cueto on the mound thinking 'i have to strike everyone out because my defense is terrible'

UKFlounder
05-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Janish is defense first. His ceiling offensively is pretty low, though he may become adequate over time. Just don't expect much.

Is he Keppinger's opposite? (though I think Kepp's defense may be better than Paul's hitting, though that's just a gut feeling)

RichRed
05-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Don't know about every day but it's Hairston tonight, according to Fay.

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Don't know about every day but it's Hairston tonight, according to Fay.

Hairston is an awful SS. Dusty continues to defy odds...

RichRed
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM

Not really. I'd say that the odds are completely in favor of Dusty making boneheaded decisions.

lollipopcurve
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm OK with Janish sitting tonight. Let him get accustomed to the surroundings, maybe bring him in as a defensive sub late if the team's up. Tomorrow he should be in there against Miller.

Chip R
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm OK with Janish sitting tonight. Let him get accustomed to the surroundings, maybe bring him in as a defensive sub late if the team's up. Tomorrow he should be in there against Miller.

Exactly.

Spring~Fields
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM

He is being consistent. Older more familiar player starting.

Matt700wlw
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
This has nothing to do with Paul Janish, but saw that Juan Castro is in AAA...

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Juan%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=112128

VR
05-14-2008, 06:47 PM

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Juan%20Castro&pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=112128

he's OPSing 1149....typical Castro territory.

gm
05-14-2008, 06:53 PM

That website says he's on the 7-day DL

So glad we're getting Yanish instead of Manos

Chip R
05-14-2008, 10:46 PM
And look who got the winning hit tonight. :thumbup:

redsfan30
05-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Hahaha!

Freel gave him a bloody nose with a boot to the face in the celebration!

Classic!

Spring~Fields
05-14-2008, 10:51 PM
And look who got the winning hit tonight. :thumbup:

That was a sweet and dramatic hit, a page right out of the movies. :)

RedsManRick
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I was afraid Freel was going to hurt him -- kept hanging on after the rest of the crowd had cleared. Great day for Janish.

Falls City Beer
05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
So glad we're getting Yanish instead of Manos

Refreshing, isn't it?

Almost....Jocketty-esque.

MikeS21
05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I've watched the video of Janish 3-4 times on MLB.com. It is obvious that Freel bloodied Janish's nose in the post game celebration. Wouldn't it be the irony of ironies if the nose is broken and Janish has to go on the DL?

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Congrats to Paul Janish on the game winning hit! Here's to hoping this is the first of many to come.

PuffyPig
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Refreshing, isn't it?

Almost....Jocketty-esque.

I wouldn't give Walt to much credit for not bringing up a player who's (1) on the disabled list; and (2) in another team's organization.

Team Clark
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I was afraid Freel was going to hurt him -- kept hanging on after the rest of the crowd had cleared. Great day for Janish.

Note to Freel: Do not knee strike the rookies. Farney was loose tonight!

fearofpopvol1
05-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Not sure you can ask for a better start to your big league career than that. That must've been like a dream come true for him. That'll be a memory that will live with Janish forever. Welcome to the bigs, kid.

StillFunkyB
05-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Not sure you can ask for a better start to your big league career than that. That must've been like a dream come true for him. That'll be a memory that will live with Janish forever. Welcome to the bigs, kid.

I went to bed after Dunn's HR.

I am not sure if I am more excited about Janish, or more disappointed by the blown "save".

Topcat
05-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Just glad to see the kid get a shot. Sad circumstances but here is hoping for the best. Welcome to the Show Paul:thumbup:

Falls City Beer
05-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't give Walt to much credit for not bringing up a player who's (1) on the disabled list; and (2) in another team's organization.

The point being--Jocketty, in a million years, wouldn't have a stiff like Castro anywhere near the Reds' roster. With Wayne, Castro was considered a viable option. Castro's pretty much the antithesis of a Walt Jocketty player. Walt'd find the guy within the organization who actually possesses a true skill, whichever skill that might be, and he'd promote him--he wouldn't give the job to an anvil like Castro.

membengal
05-15-2008, 08:15 AM
I thought Womack played for St. Louis for a bit...

By the way, nice to see from Janish. It gets me to thinking, is there anyone else at AAA who might give this team some help?

BRM
05-15-2008, 09:39 AM

He had his career year in St Louis in 2004.

dabvu2498
05-15-2008, 09:46 AM

Miguel Cairo was there for almost 3 seasons.

BRM
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Womack and Cairo both have Castro by 70 points of OPS.

dabvu2498
05-15-2008, 10:13 AM

That means they're good, right? ;)

membengal
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM

So that's the baseline for competence? 70 points better than Castro?

BRM
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
That means they're good, right? ;)

No, it means they are better than Juan Castro.

Cyclone792
05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/janispa01.shtml

Paul Janish is now an immortal and will always have his own page in the MLB encyclopedia.

Matt700wlw
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Janish has now done more in 1 game than Castro had done in 2 seasons....

KronoRed
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Janish has now done more in 1 game than Castro had done in 2 seasons....

I don't like ole Castro but he did provide a game winning hit or two.

Janish is on pace for 162rbis, SIGN HIM :D

lollipopcurve
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Janish has done nothing but have solid ABs and play good defense. Steady & heady -- the kid is going to have a major league career. Not every prospect is based on the bat.

PuffyPig
05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Janish has done nothing but have solid ABs and play good defense. Steady & heady -- the kid is going to have a major league career. Not every prospect is based on the bat.

Talk about a small sample size.

mbgrayson
05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
I like Paul's patience. He saw 26 pitches today in 4 plate appearances. Went to a full count in the 1st, 3rd, and 7th innings, and went 2-2 before singling in the 5th. He seems to be controlling the plate very well, and if he keeps this up, he will be a welcome addition to this team.

Janish's line is .800/.833/.800 for an OPS of 1.633. I'm guessing he may regress a little tiny bit eventually. ;)

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
I was at the game today and Janish just looked fantastic at the plate. He'll never be a star hitter or anything but he has a chance to be a decent singles/doubles hitter and draw his share of walks. He does a great job of working the count and doesn't chase many bad pitches. He was 26 pitches today in four plate appearances. That's what you like to see at the top of the order.

Will M
05-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Janish's glove is great. if he could OPS .750 he would be a great asset to the Reds.

membengal
05-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Worth mentioning---that short-hop scoop he made from the Valentin throw while on the move across the bag and still getting off a strong and accurate throw to Valentin to finish the 3-6-3 double-play was a thing of beauty.

Superdude
05-18-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm interested to see what his OBP skillz amount to in the majors. He's shown flashes of real good BA/OBP split in the minors and has appeared to know his way around the strikezone since being called up. Adam Everett like defense with a .350+ OBP would put me on his fan list.

lollipopcurve
05-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Talk about a small sample size.

Didn't deter many on this board from dismissing him as a prospect within the hour of his being drafted.

fearofpopvol1
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=frontpage&pollId=55530

Spring~Fields
05-19-2008, 09:08 PM
How's come this guy isn't getting more starts, wouldn't his defense help the pitching and the chance to win games?

membengal
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
After last night, he ought to be starting tonight. I would guess Dusty is realizing that.

He is worlds better than Hariston at SS.

WMR
05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
After last night, he ought to be starting tonight. I would guess Dusty is realizing that.

Let's hope.

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 11:13 AM

I would have thought that after seeing Hairston play for Dusty before the Reds and having seen Janish in spring training that Dusty would have already realized that. Something is inconsistent, Patterson plays for defensive reasons because CF is an important defensive area, then when it comes to SS, compromises are made even though it is a very important defensive position. Hairston somehow has received the most starts at short over Janish.

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:17 AM
I would have thought that after seeing Hairston play for Dusty before the Reds and having seen Janish in spring training that Dusty would have already realized that. Something is inconsistent, Patterson plays for defensive reasons because CF is an important defensive area, then when it comes to SS, compromises are made even though it is a very important defensive position. Hairston somehow has received the most starts at short over Janish.

Dusty is inconsistent in his philosophies from AB to AB, even when the in-game situations are exactly the same.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Dusty is inconsistent in his philosophies from AB to AB, even when the in-game situations are exactly the same.

Inconsistent philosophy in lineup construction as well.

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Inconsistent philosophy in lineup construction as well.

Oh yeah. Griffey has 3rd willed to him regardless of what he does... Dunn gets dropped to 7th, even when his production is far and away superior to Griff's.

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Yes but Dusty said in the Enquirer recently,

Janish, who drove in the winning run in the 10th inning in his debut Wednesday, certainly has caught Baker's eye.

"He had my attention in spring training," Baker said. "That's why he's here."
:confused::confused::confused:

Chip R
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM

You don't say? :D

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes but Dusty said in the Enquirer recently,

Janish, who drove in the winning run in the 10th inning in his debut Wednesday, certainly has caught Baker's eye.

"He had my attention in spring training," Baker said. "That's why he's here."
:confused::confused::confused:

:barf::rant2::ughmamoru:oops:

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
:barf::rant2::ughmamoru:oops:

How's come Dusty doesn't play Hairston in right, Patterson in center and Janish at ss? :confused:
Looks like the pitching could use some help?

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
How's come Dusty doesn't play Hairston in right, Patterson in center and Janish at ss? :confused:
Looks like the pitching could use some help?

You don't sit a Hall of Famer. Hall of Famer's bat 3rd.

BRM
05-20-2008, 11:32 AM

You're bitter.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Hairston looks very uncomfortable at SS. Even on routine groundballs he still struggles to get there, set his feet properly and make a good throw. Yeah Janish made a throwing error last night but that's a ball that Hairston would've missed by five feet. If Dusty is serious about defense then Janish should be the everyday SS.

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Aren't most of them retired? :confused:

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Aren't most of them retired? :confused:

::information overload ... Dustinator cannot compute::

::searches for Hank Aaron reference in databank::

WMR
05-20-2008, 11:35 AM
You're bitter.

:( Dusty makes me thirsty. :all_cohol

Spring~Fields
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
If Dusty is serious about defense then Janish should be the everyday SS.

That is what I was thinking.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
LF Dunn
CF Patterson
RF Bruce
3B Encarnacion
SS Janish
2B Phillips
1B Votto
C Bako

That's a pretty good defense right there. Hopefully we see it before long.

BRM
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
:( Dusty makes me thirsty. :all_cohol

I know exactly what you mean.

BRM
05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
LF Dunn
CF Patterson
RF Bruce
3B Encarnacion
SS Janish
2B Phillips
1B Votto
C Bako

That's a pretty good defense right there. Hopefully we see it before long.

Don't hold your breath.

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Don't hold your breath.

http://sp.ashsteachers.org/kellym/Pictures/Cat%20holding%20breath.bmp