PDA

View Full Version : Great American Ball Park at 6

Chip R
05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
This is the the year GAB has been in existence. I think it's a fair period of time to judge it. Aside from ticket and concession prices and the product the Reds put on the field, what are your likes and dislikes about GAB itself and what would you improve?

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I personally love Great American Ballpark. It's a beautiful ballpark and a great place to watch a game. I love the view of the Ohio River, the bridges, and the developing Covington skyline. The Riverboat deck in center field and the smoke stacks are nice features. The food at the park is awesome from the coney's to the absolute best nachos in the world to LaRosa's pizza. There's nothing better in the world than watching the Reds play a night game in warm weather during the summer.

The only complaint I have is I wish the ballpark had been built a little bigger to favor pitchers more.

Caseyfan21
05-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I just wish the city, county, and Reds could get their act together and develop the area around the ballpark. While Newport is nice to go to after a game, how great would it be if there were restaurants, bars, entertainment right next to the park? I think it would greatly enhance the overall ballpark experience and also the perception of nightlife and entertainment on the Ohio side of the Cincinnati area.

Johnny Footstool
05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
GAB is gorgeous, and everywhere you turn you are reminded that it's the of the Reds. A lot of ballparks aren't like that.

There are plenty of amenities -- abundant concession (i.e. - beer) stands, wide concourses, lots of rest rooms, and several open areas to take a break from the game.

The location is excellent -- plenty to look at and do before and after the game, even if you have to walk a few blocks to get there. Try watching a game in KC, where the parking lot stretches out for half a mile in any direction, and the closest restaurants are a Subway and a Denny's.

Of the parks I've visited, SafeCo Field in Seattle rates the best -- it's tough to beat a view of Puget Sound and a two-story baseball bat chandelier. GAB is second, followed by Coors Field, Wrigley Field, Kaufman Stadium, New Busch (a waste of money, IMO), Riverfront, Old Busch, and Mile High Stadium.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I think GABP is one of those parks that is growing on people as it matures.

It has to be one of the top 10 in baseball.

dougdirt
05-14-2008, 03:06 PM
The only two things I would change is that the park should face the city, not away from it. I also agree that the area around the park could be better, but the Reds don't have much say in that.

Screwball
05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
The only two things I would change is that the park should face the city, not away from it.

What, and risk Dunn knocking out windshields and windows? ;)

cincyinco
05-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Agree that it should face the city. Cincinnati has a great sky line!

One of these days I'll get back to ohio for more than a funeral and get to see GAB.

redsfan30
05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
It would be awesome if it faced the city, but with the direction of the sun for night games it would be an absolute nightmare.

As for my thoughts, the Riverboat Deck in center adds so much to the park. I liked the park without it, but seeing it now you realize just how bare it was without it.

05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't like the water fountain by the men's room along about section 417. It has hot water. Not blistering hot, but it is supplied with hot water, unless thay have fixed it this year. Haven't had a chance to attend a game since Opening Day, and I wasn't over there that day.

bucksfan2
05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I think its average. I also think they really missed the boat by not making it bigger from the start. Its always easier to shorten the playing field but much more difficult to legthen the field. They are trying for an older style field but fill it with new age logos and advertisments.

Roy Tucker
05-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I like it. It's a little busy in design with all the smokestacks, fog, OF party room, and riverboat. I'd prefer something a little cleaner and more classic. But its a great experience.

But I agree that the surrounding area is pretty well dead. I still think the city/county missed the boat with Broadway Commons which would have provided a much more rich area around the ballpark. But hopefully, the Banks will provide for some of that.

fearofpopvol1
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Make the outfield wall higher!!

Heath
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey Footstool, that's a great Drury Inn & Denny's. I went to KC last 4th of July and that place was a life saver. Not to mention the free parking.

As far as GABP is concerned, the river is what made Cincinnati into the city it is today. I think looking over that is very historical.

Obviously the skyline is integral to the modern day Cincinnati, but how a baseball diamond fits doesn't allow a skyline and river, unless home plate is facing west, and no one is going to give a home-field advantage up for a setting sun.

The food's fine, the concourse is fine, the restrooms are fine. I like the stacks for the cool mist in August on one of those sweltering day/evenings.

Food and drink are fine, not too over priced.

What one thing Cincinnati has over the rest of the league is the Hall of Fame/Museum. Wow.

Caveat Emperor
05-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I really am not a GABP fan. It simply doesn't compare to a lot of the other "new" ballparks I've been to, including Oriole Park at Camden Yards, The Ballpark at Arlington, Jacobs Field and Comerica Park.

Bland architectural design, not a lot by way of great amenities or dining options (Comerica & Camden Yards HAMMER GABP in that aspect), poor use of riverfront location, poor neighborhood surrounding the stadium, etc. Nothing about the stadium speaks to the rich tradition and history of the ballclub -- hell, they stashed the championship banners in the corner of the park.

The GABP is a nice place to watch a game, but only because it doesn't do anything wrong. The real problem is that it doesn't do anything particularly right either. As ballparks go, it's just sorta there.

Big swing and miss by the city, IMO.

RichRed
05-14-2008, 04:13 PM
What one thing Cincinnati has over the rest of the league is the Hall of Fame/Museum. Wow.

No kidding. I could've spent an entire day in there, easy.

OnBaseMachine
05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
No kidding. I could've spent an entire day in there, easy.

Agreed. I always make it a must to check out the HOF. The Reds did a heck of a job with the Hall of Fame and museum. The gift shop is also nice.

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Bland architectural design, not a lot by way of great amenities or dining options (Comerica & Camden Yards HAMMER GABP in that aspect), poor use of riverfront location, poor neighborhood surrounding the stadium, etc. Nothing about the stadium speaks to the rich tradition and history of the ballclub -- hell, they stashed the championship banners in the corner of the park.

Having been to Comerica many times, what about its dining options and/or neighborhood are an improvement over GABP?

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I wish the players could hit homers into the river.

Falls City Beer
05-14-2008, 04:20 PM
GABP is a gem of a ballpark. First rate, from top to bottom. They definitely did not screw that up.

dabvu2498
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm sorta ho-hum on GABP.

Nice enough place to watch a ballgame, but not much beyond that. Everything is functional -- scoreboard, concession stands, restaurants, etc. -- but nothing really gives you that "wow" factor like in Pittsburgh (my favorite) or some of the other new parks I've been to.

I agree with Roy that it tends to be a little "busy" on the inside and with CE that it's kind of "bland" on the outside also.

But... most of the seats are good, access is good, food options are good, the Hall of Fame/Museum is great.

Overall: B-

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm sorta ho-hum on GABP.

Nice enough place to watch a ballgame, but not much beyond that. Everything is functional -- scoreboard, concession stands, restaurants, etc. -- but nothing really gives you that "wow" factor like in Pittsburgh (my favorite) or some of the other new parks I've been to.

I agree with Roy that it tends to be a little "busy" on the inside and with CE that it's kind of "bland" on the outside also.

But... most of the seats are good, access is good, food options are good, the Hall of Fame/Museum is great.

Overall: B-

Spot on...

Chip R
05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
For those who believe GAB is bland compared to other stadiums, do you think it's because you have been to GAB so often and the other parks only once or twice? If you went to a park like Comerica or PNC or wherever as much as you went to GAB, would you think those parks would be somewhat bland compared to somewhere you have been once or twice?

vaticanplum
05-14-2008, 04:36 PM
The only two things I would change is that the park should face the city, not away from it. I also agree that the area around the park could be better, but the Reds don't have much say in that.

I love that it faces Kentucky. I think the field would be way too busy to look at if the open side of the stadium faced the skyline, not to mention the problems that others have referenced in terms of glare off of buildings and so on. This is a rivertown; it exists because of the water. When you have an entire stadium paying tribute to the wonder that is the steamboat, I think it'd be kind of bizarre to then turn it away from the river. And you actually can see the skyline from certain parts of the stadium...but the ballpark feels a lot more open than it really is because of the direction the field faces.

I'm not bananas about where the ballpark is situated only in terms of the fact that it's so far east downtown. Actually I guess it's only a couple of blocks east of Vine Street which I think is the east/west divide...but it feels farther east somehow. But as long as they can get the Banks developed (and they will, they will, I'm watching it bit by bit every day), that quibble will go away.

I think it's one of the better stadiums in baseball, very underrated, and I've been to quite a few. There's a bit of cluelessness to it in that they've tried to throw in a few elements of kitsch but didn't seem to take them far enough -- and that's a good thing in my mind. Yes, we have a clunky looking but functional steamboat restaurant above the batter's eye but at least we don't have no damn choo-choo train darting around for no reason whatsoever. What I like so much about GABP is that it feels so small but still incredibly open. Walking around the entire stadium isn't an overwhelming prospect, but the concourses are big and airy, there are these little decks here and there, etc. It both looks a lot smaller and feels a lot bigger than it really is. There's a real sense of being intimate yet grandiose at the same time -- best exemplified by the open side over the river and the stand-up lights reaching way, way up to the sky. The team it houses hasn't seemed to grasp that grandiosity yet, though.

Caveat Emperor
05-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Having been to Comerica many times, what about its dining options and/or neighborhood are an improvement over GABP?

The "food court" down the left field line, tiki bar down left field line, and built-in Montgomery Inn for starters.

And neither park tocuhes Boog's BBQ an other related meat-cooking pits on Eutaw Street at Camden Yards.

vaticanplum
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
The "food court" down the left field line, tiki bar down left field line, and built-in Montgomery Inn for starters.

You mean the tiki bar where they serve daiquiris with twistie straws? That crap is bananas :p:

Some of this is just personal taste. If there's anything I don't want in my ballpark, it's gidgets and gadgets and mini-mall food courts. And I'm probably one of the pickiest eaters in any given ballpark. If I'm going to spend my money on nice food and drink, I'm going to do it at a place where I can eat with real silverware and not worry about my mai tai umbrella getting crushed by a fly ball or an enthusiastic seatmate -- nor worry about them distracting me from what I've paid money to do there, which is watch a baseball game. I'm not saying that ribs and drink umbrellas DON'T belong at a ballpark; by all means, the ballpark should do whatever makes them money. But it's not my purpose in being there, so I understand if they don't go overboard with it. Put it this way: I'm always a big confused when ballpark rankings include any kind of food criteria. I can't think of an MLB ballpark that doesn't, in my mind, serve adequate food for a ballgame. But again, that's me.

And neither park tocuhes Boog's BBQ an other related meat-cooking pits on Eutaw Street at Camden Yards.

Camden Yards is pretty much the gold standard for ballparks on the planet. I don't think anyone would argue that GABP matches up to it. But if GABP had tried to model itself after Camden Yards more directly, it would be a disaster anyway. You need your own flavor and you need geography and history to influence it. That's why we have steamboats and skyline instead of, I dunno, Detroit-style daiquiris.

dabvu2498
05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
For those who believe GAB is bland compared to other stadiums, do you think it's because you have been to GAB so often and the other parks only once or twice? If you went to a park like Comerica or PNC or wherever as much as you went to GAB, would you think those parks would be somewhat bland compared to somewhere you have been once or twice?

I don't think so.

There's very little detail. The two buildings that dominate the front of the stadium (the HOF and the offices/ramps) are pretty bland.

harangatang
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
I wish the players could hit homers into the river.If we just could have Jose Lima pitch to Dunn a little more often...

dabvu2498
05-14-2008, 05:20 PM
BTW, my wife gave GABP the ultimate compliment the first time she went.

I gave her a quick tour then we sat in our Sun Deck seats and she says "it doesn't even feel like we're in downtown Cincinnati right now."

:lol:

deltachi8
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
What I like so much about GABP is that it feels so small but still incredibly open. Walking around the entire stadium isn't an overwhelming prospect, but the concourses are big and airy, there are these little decks here and there, etc. It both looks a lot smaller and feels a lot bigger than it really is. There's a real sense of being intimate yet grandiose at the same time -- best exemplified by the open side over the river and the stand-up lights reaching way, way up to the sky. The team it houses hasn't seemed to grasp that grandiosity yet, though.

Well said and having only visited GABP once, I would agree. I like GABP and enjoyed my visit there a bunch. I would rank it right up there with PNC and Comerica - with a slight nod to PNC.

StillFunkyB
05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I like GABP a lot, however after being to St. Louis I felt like that is what we should have had here in Cincinnati.

My biggest peeve is the the stupid leaders of this city have done JACK SQUAT to develop the area around the park. Anyone ever been to Denver? My step-sister lives there and says the brewery district around the park is great. I would love Cincinnati to have something like that.

WVRedsFan
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Here's my take from someone 300 miles away. I've been to GABP four of five times and each time I was very impressed. I've also been to PNC park and can give you a comparison. The seats are too narrow at PNC Park and it's a pain to get to. that's enough for me to rate it below GABP, but...

Yes, the area around the park needs to be developed with restaurants, hotels, etc, but the Reds can't help that. I find it convenient to get to (I usually stay across the river in Covington and walk over the bridge (probably not safe, but easy). It sure would be nice if there was something else to do around the stadium before a game, but that's another story.

The silly batter's eye in the outfield is an eyesore to me, but I may be over-sensative about things like that. The folks in Pittsburgh did that better. The smoke stacks are tacky and look out of place, but people love them, so what do I know?

Like alot of older folks, I remember Crosley Field fondly and GABP has the same feel that Crosley did. You sit on top of the action and the small park is fun because a home run is just a swing away for most anyone. People forget that people love home runs especially if it's the home team. Pitcher's parks bore me. If you happen to be sitting in the club seats, the entrance to the park is an impressive thing. Entering through the 4192 club makes you feel you are entering something special, but that's just my opinion.

The park is so different than so many in that it feels cozy and comfortable. I like it.

backbencher
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I've been to 35+ parks.

I rate them based on (1) game-watching, (2) ease-of-use and (3) non-baseball atmosphere (does it capture the city/team?). I dislike non-baseball frills.

GAB is aces on my top two criteria.

I also think that it's pretty good on "capturing" Cincinnati. I think that the Broadway Commons location would have been kind of like the spot for Jacobs Field (or the Prog, or whatever they call it now). It's an OK location, and now there is some activity in the area, but nothing about it says "Cleveland."

Now, Cincinnati is lower-key, and perhaps less visually pleasing, than some spots. So the stadium lacks the grandiosity of some parks. Nor is it a neighborhood park. But it is a good, solid representation of the town. And it is a great place to sit and watch baseball.

Heath
05-14-2008, 07:20 PM
To complement *BaseClogger* - there are two words that separate Comerica from GABP.

Big. Boy.

Why, why, why, on all that is good and right, isn't Frisch's in GABP???

Cyclone792
05-14-2008, 07:22 PM
To complement *BaseClogger* - there are two words that separate Comerica from GABP.

Big. Boy.

Why, why, why, on all that is good and right, isn't Frisch's in GABP???

If GABP could somehow get a Geno's Steaks then it'd be near the top as far as food goes.

RedsManRick
05-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I think it's a very nice functional stadium and a very poor piece of architecture -- relatively speaking of course.

top6
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Agree with the "bland" call. There is nothing amazing about it, but nothing bad either. I personally can't stand all the crud that goes on between innings, hitters and even pitches sometimes (the glass breaking sound on foul balls drives me insane). That to me is why Wrigley Field is the best place to watch a game. Even though I hate Cubs fans, the only thing to watch there is baseball.

GABP also suffers in comparison to Paul Brown Stadium. That place is top of the line, possibly the best in the NFL. GABP isn't.

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 07:34 PM

I agree with VP on ballpark food. Nothing about a food court that serves funnel cakes, a merry-go-round, a ferris wheel, or drinks with umbrellas in them says 'baseball game' to me. I really don't like Comerica. It is just this monstrous structure sitting next to Ford Field and a bunch of parking garages in downtown Detroit (woohoo Detroit!). Some of the seats seem like they are in their own atmosphere level. The food at Comerica is terrible. Has anyone ever tried Little Caesar's pizza? They have no signature items such as Cincinnati's Skyline--just generic hot dogs and hamburgers. GABP is nice, nothing special, but I think Cincinnati is at a disadvantage anyways. It doesn't have the downtown atmosphere of a Baltimore along the harbor, or a signature like Detroit and the auto industry. I'm not really a Big Boy guy either, but I guess it wouldn't bother me if Frisch's was added...

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Agree with the "bland" call. There is nothing amazing about it, but nothing bad either. I personally can't stand all the crud that goes on between innings, hitters and even pitches sometimes (the glass breaking sound on foul balls drives me insane). That to me is why Wrigley Field is the best place to watch a game. Even though I hate Cubs fans, the only thing to watch there is baseball.

Eh, Wrigley is great. However, I think there is much less noise at GABP when compared to some of the other newer parks such as Miller Park or Comerica. They feel like the circus, and not another baseball team, is in town...

reds44
05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I hate Wrigley Field. Maybe because I have been there so much that the "historic" aspect has worn off, but I've probably been to 20+ stadiums and it would be in my top 5 of least favorite.

*BaseClogger*
05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
I hate Wrigley Field. Maybe because I have been there so much that the "historic" aspect has worn off, but I've probably been to 20+ stadiums and it would be in my top 5 of least favorite.

Where did you sit, and were you wearing enemy colors? :D

Falls City Beer
05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
While I agree that the busy-ness of the advertising in GABP is a bit odious (though it's odious everywhere), I think the architecture is very attractive--not overdone; simple, contemporary--a great transport from the dullness that is downtown Cincinnati. The design and integration with the topography of the river and hills is second to none, IMO. It's a rare park in my opinion.

St. Louis' new park has all the charm of a condo built next to the office park.

Red in Chicago
05-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Nothing about the stadium speaks to the rich tradition and history of the ballclub -- hell, they stashed the championship banners in the corner of the park.

The GABP is a nice place to watch a game, but only because it doesn't do anything wrong. The real problem is that it doesn't do anything particularly right either. As ballparks go, it's just sorta there.

I think this is pretty accurate. For a city known for it's Big Red Machine history, I think they could do more to acknowledge it. First, scrap the mosaic tiles of the BRM and put up an actual photo. Next, enough with the "rose" garden and put up a statue of Pete. Frankly, IMO, it should have been the BRM playing ball outside, not the old timers they decided to go with. (Probably blasphemy to some, but just my two cents). Do something different with the Pepsi smokestacks, because they're silly.

All that said, it is a GREAT place to watch a ballgame. I've never sat in a bad seat yet, though I would never sit in the bleachers again, due to the type of crowd there. On a 1 - 10 basis, I'd give it a solid 7.

Johnny Footstool
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I like GABP a lot, however after being to St. Louis I felt like that is what we should have had here in Cincinnati.

I really don't like the new Busch. It feels very bland to me. The double-wide, yet still deserted, concrete concourses made me feel like I was in an empty shopping mall built in the 1970's. Those seats on the first-base side make you feel like you're watching a game from the shoulder of I-70.

reds44
05-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Where did you sit, and were you wearing enemy colors? :D
I've sat pretty much everywhere in Wrigley, and most of the time yes. I've seen games when the Reds didn't play where I am in neutral colors, though.

Blitz Dorsey
05-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Make the outfield dimensions that of a MLB park and not a high school field and we might be on to something.

Honestly, I love everything about GABP except the OF dimensions. It's not even that much different than old Riverfront/Cinergy, but there was no reason to go smaller. The dimensions should be exactly the same as Riverfront (or a little more) definitely not shorter.

05-15-2008, 01:58 AM
I think this is pretty accurate. For a city known for it's Big Red Machine history, I think they could do more to acknowledge it. First, scrap the mosaic tiles of the BRM and put up an actual photo. Next, enough with the "rose" garden and put up a statue of Pete. Frankly, IMO, it should have been the BRM playing ball outside, not the old timers they decided to go with. (Probably blasphemy to some, but just my two cents). Do something different with the Pepsi smokestacks, because they're silly.

All that said, it is a GREAT place to watch a ballgame. I've never sat in a bad seat yet, though I would never sit in the bleachers again, due to the type of crowd there. On a 1 - 10 basis, I'd give it a solid 7.

I agree with you on the mosaic. I also don't care for the bas-relief on the outside.

cincyinco
05-15-2008, 02:49 AM

My biggest peeve is the the stupid leaders of this city have done JACK SQUAT to develop the area around the park. Anyone ever been to Denver? My step-sister lives there and says the brewery district around the park is great. I would love Cincinnati to have something like that.

LoDo(Lower Downtown) in Denver was revitalized due to the park being built. They built the park in a poor area of downtown, and rebuilt around it. Its now one of the best places in the city. Tons of stuff to do down there, always.

Hope Cincinnati does the same, its a smart idea.

Redhook
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I think GABP is ok, about a 6 out of 10.

I like the inside of the stadium for the most part.

Here's what I dislike:

1) All the white poles on the outside of the stadium. IMO, it looks really, really cheap. When I go to St. Louis, I look at their stadium from the outside and think "why couldn't ours look like that?".

2) The size of the field. It should've been made bigger. It's a launching pad.

3) I still believe the city made a huge mistake putting in on the river instead of Broadway Commons. It would've been so much better there. It would've revived that neighborhood. There would've been fantastic views of the city and Mt. Adams.

4) Unlike other cities that I've been to, there's virtually no bars and/or restaurants close to go to before or after the game.

GABP is decent, but what it could've been is the question I'll always be asking.

Caveat Emperor
05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
3) I still believe the city made a huge mistake putting in on the river instead of Broadway Commons. It would've been so much better there. It would've revived that neighborhood. There would've been fantastic views of the city and Mt. Adams.

I agree with this 100%.

Broadway commons would've given the city the opportunity to revitalize two parts of downtown at the same time-- Broadway Commons w/ the Ballpark and the Riverfront w/ the Banks.

membengal
05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
It has turned out to be a really great place to watch a game. That is my bottom line for a park.

In addition, its seating areas are unique enough that it is fun to still "discover" new places in the park that offer interesting perspectives on the field. I thought, when it was built, that the sun/moon deck in right field would be my favorite spot, but have been surprised to figure out that is the upper deck down the 3b line. Feels close enough to the field to be very engaged, with gorgeous views of the river and the hills of KY.

All in all, I think, given the budget they had, they did a great job. My main complaint is something that is city related, and not Reds related. There is little to no atmosphere outside the park. They simply must get moving on the riverfront development project. It is simply insane that so many years have passed with what is prime real estate in every other city in the world just sitting there wasting away. Get that fixed, and blended in with GABP (and PB Stadium) and I think, as the years pass, GABP will become something viewed with genuine affection.

bucksfan2
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=membengal;1631585]It has turned out to be a really great place to watch a game. That is my bottom line for a park. [QUOTE]

I can't complain about that. My grandpa has tickets on the 1st base line about 20 rows up so every time I go to the games I have a top notch view. I really think it is a good place for anyone to watch a game. A few years ago my fiance and I went to Wrigley to see a game. She loves going to baseball games but could care less if she isn't there. She didn't like Wrigley as much because there wasn't a jumbotron. She couldnt catch up on the action that she missed. I like the old feel ballparks. If Crosley was still in commission I think that would be awesome, but I digress.

My main problem with GABP is that there isn't a "wow" factor. The smokestacks look cheesey. The riverboat out in CF doesn't look like a traditional riverboat. Look at what Tampa Bay did with their football stadium. Most of the nontradional features look like they went on the cheap instead of getting a good quality product. They have a pirates ship that looks like a pirates ship. I don't like all the advertisment in the field of play. I understand it is a necessity but I look at some of the great stadiums around and the advertisments are suttle.

Yachtzee
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I liked it when they first built it. My opinion hasn't changed.

Being that I live closer to Cleveland, I have often compared GABP to the Jake. My complaint about the Jake was always that it is too "corporate," looking more like the HQ of a Fortune 500 company than a ballpark. Now that it's Progressive Field, it feels only more so. I think GABP has a quirky charm, the red seats, the river view, the riverboat stuff, without being overbearing. I also think PNC park is great, but someone mentioned the seating being a problem and I second that. The seats are almost too angled. It feels like your neighbor is in your lap. GABP has its problems, but nothing that other ballparks don't have.

I think the best way to improve GABP is to improve the team that plays in it, put them in uniforms similar to the '68-71 era, and make them wear regular baseball pants instead of those pajama pants players like to wear. I'd actually like to see them shadow the Yankees a bit closer in their dress policy. Maybe not go back to the clean shaven look, but at least require players to keep their hair and facial hair neatly trimmed. Professional attitude should include professional appearance.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
I think the best way to improve GABP is to improve the team that plays in it, put them in uniforms similar to the '68-71 era, and make them wear regular baseball pants instead of those pajama pants players like to wear. I'd actually like to see them shadow the Yankees a bit closer in their dress policy. Maybe not go back to the clean shaven look, but at least require players to keep their hair and facial hair neatly trimmed. Professional attitude should include professional appearance.

I'm with you on this. Go to uniforms with simple white and red. No black trim. No piping. No fancy font.

Make it a rule that they wear their the pants up at the knee with old school 70's style stirrups (Redlegs). Adam Dunn would benefit greatly from jacking his socks up, giving him a smaller strike zone. The pajama look is kind of goofy, but I have always said major leaguers have their own weird sense of style, if you want to call it style.

Johnny Footstool
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
According to the map, and there are about 30-40 restaurants and bars within 1/2 mile of GABP.

Roy Tucker
05-15-2008, 11:04 AM
If I'm going to spend my money on nice food and drink, I'm going to do it at a place where I can eat with real silverware and not worry about my mai tai umbrella getting crushed by a fly ball or an enthusiastic seatmate -- nor worry about them distracting me from what I've paid money to do there, which is watch a baseball game.

I'm with you there, vp. I'm at the ballpark to watch a ballgame, not graze at the food court.

I have a hard enough time to keep from dripping mustard from my hot dog on my shirt. No time for fu-fu drinks or coney sushi.

Reds1
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Funny, I live in Cardinal Heaven in Evansville, IN and they don't like the cardinals park as well as GABP. I don't think anyone has said they like it better then the Reds. I've never had a bad seat in the house, but the walking area (concession stands) behind the 1st base line is too small. If there is a crowd it's very difficult to get around. On sell outs it's down right miserable, but I realize they don't have many sell outs, but I go every year to opening day and that's my big beef. My hope is that someday it's always miserable, but it's something they really can't fix. They put all the area in the fan zone and left it too narrow in that area.

membengal
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
According to the map, and there are about 30-40 restaurants and bars within 1/2 mile of GABP.

A whole bunch across the river.

The rest scattered around downtown. What is missing is the ambiance of a neighborhood atmosphere around the ballpark. That is part of what makes Camden Yards so special.

I am rather hoping a re-vitalized river banks project will give some feeling of neighborhood around the park.

And, yes, they could have gotten that at the other location, but since they threw their lot downtown on the river, might as well see the idea through...

Cyclone792
05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm with you there, vp. I'm at the ballpark to watch a ballgame, not graze at the food court.

I have a hard enough time to keep from dripping mustard from my hot dog on my shirt. No time for fu-fu drinks or coney sushi.

That's the beauty of a Geno's Steak. Stuff it in your pocket as you grab your beer and walk to your seat, then devour the steak once you get seated. Heck, grab three or four and stuff them in your pocket for a meal every other inning. No worries about mustard dripping either.

Falls City Beer
05-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Do yourself a favor and skip the Cards' park on your summer tour of ballparks. Unless you really want to see the Applebee's of ballparks.

Johnny Footstool
05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
A whole bunch across the river.

The rest scattered around downtown. What is missing is the ambiance of a neighborhood atmosphere around the ballpark. That is part of what makes Camden Yards so special.

I am rather hoping a re-vitalized river banks project will give some feeling of neighborhood around the park.

And, yes, they could have gotten that at the other location, but since they threw their lot downtown on the river, might as well see the idea through...

Some right-next-door gathering places would be fantastic.

But I don't see a 1/2 mile walk as a problem. I guess I'm used to KC, where you have to walk that far just to get to your car, because the parking lot itself spreads out at least 1/2 mile from the ballpark.

Falls City Beer
05-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't care about stuff to do around the park. I know that matters to some folks, but I couldn't care less. All I care about is the park and where I park my car (or hop off the train).

membengal
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Johnny: It is not that it is a problem, per se, but it certainly takes away from the potential ambiance of the park. The very best ballyards, really, have been the ones that have been nestled into the community. GABP still feels too isolated.

That is something that can be rectified because there is space to develop and GABP is not set away from downtown in a corn field somewhere on I-275...

PS: FCB, it is not that I want something to do, but rather that a neighborhood feel adds a ton to the experience. It is cool to walk up to Camden Yards past apartments and bars. Ditto Yankee stadium. Ditto Fenway, and Wrigley.

The Ballpark at Arlington, as nice as it is, gets deductions from me because it is marooned in the middle of nowhere.

*BaseClogger*
05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I've sat pretty much everywhere in Wrigley, and most of the time yes. I've seen games when the Reds didn't play where I am in neutral colors, though.

Was it the fans, or the park, that you disliked?

Roy Tucker
05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Johnny: It is not that it is a problem, per se, but it certainly takes away from the potential ambiance of the park. The very best ballyards, really, have been the ones that have been nestled into the community. GABP still feels too isolated.

That is something that can be rectified because there is space to develop and GABP is not set away from downtown in a corn field somewhere on I-275...

That's a very good point. It could have gotten built out next to Kings Island.

I've got a big long rant about Broadway Commons but that horse has left the barn and ain't never coming back.

I just wish the Banks wasn't proceeding at such glacial speed. By the time they get it done, it's going to be time for a new ballpark. I know, I know, patience.

Yachtzee
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM

PS: FCB, it is not that I want something to do, but rather that a neighborhood feel adds a ton to the experience. It is cool to walk up to Camden Yards past apartments and bars. Ditto Yankee stadium. Ditto Fenway, and Wrigley.

The Ballpark at Arlington, as nice as it is, gets deductions from me because it is marooned in the middle of nowhere.

Dodgers Stadium is very nice, yet is completely encircled with parking lot. I do think the Banks project will help. Any word on how that's progressing?

BuckeyeRedleg
05-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Some sites with ballpark rankings...

GABP ranked 12th
http://www.mlbroadtrip.com/english/cities/major/nlc/cincinnatiparke.htm

GABP ranked 10th
http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/cincinnatireds.html

GABP ranked 8th
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/08/31/fvi.reds/index.html

GABP 15th of the 19 stadiums built post 1990
http://www.baseballparks.com/GreatAmerican.asp

GABP Tied for 10th (6.8) all-time with Washington Nationals Stadium
http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/GreatAmericanBallpark.html#place

Cyclone792
05-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Some sites with ballpark rankings...

GABP ranked 12th
http://www.mlbroadtrip.com/english/cities/major/nlc/cincinnatiparke.htm

GABP ranked 10th
http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/cincinnatireds.html

GABP ranked 8th
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/08/31/fvi.reds/index.html

GABP 15th of the 19 stadiums built post 1990
http://www.baseballparks.com/GreatAmerican.asp

GABP Tied for 10th (6.8) all-time with Washington Nationals Stadium
http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/GreatAmericanBallpark.html#place

Looks like GABP averages out to the top third of stadiums in MLB based on the first three rankings above.

Actually, that'd probably be pretty accurate for me too. If I was lucky enough to visit every big league park I could see GABP ranking in the top third for me. Not among the very best parks, but likely better than most. That's not too bad.