PDA

View Full Version : How good is Josh Hamilton?

Kingspoint
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Today he came up to bat with a man on 3rd for the 12th time this year.

For the 12th time this year that player scored. 12 for 12 this year in getting a guy in from third base.

Dunn did it yesterday and the day before, and those two runs were so very important in the REDS' winning their games. It was wonderful to watch. They are the type of runs that keep momentum going, that lift up a team. Hopefully that becomes the norm from now on from Dunn (Junior, take note) instead of the exception, and hopefully, he finally understands "situational" baseball.

Homer Bailey
05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
To answer the question.... very.

mole44
05-14-2008, 05:21 PM
About as good as Edinson Volquez.

Kingspoint
05-14-2008, 05:25 PM

Of whom I'd rather have.

I'm going to miss Wayne Krivsky so much.

schmidty622
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
No doubt I would rather have Volquez than Hamilton. Even if Volquez ends up in the say 3.00-4.00 ERA range this year, pitching is more important and thus it was a good move for the Reds.

BlastFurnace
05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
A question I have...since I no longer live in the Cincinnati area...is how good is Jay Bruce? Is he Gary Redus 25 years later, or is this kid better.

I get to see Josh play every day here in Arlington. If he can keep himself clean, he will be very successful here with that short porch in right.

Degenerate39
05-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Imagine this team if they could've had Hamilton AND Volquez without giving up Bruce. Hamilton = No Corey Patterson so that's a plus.

Redeye fly
05-14-2008, 05:46 PM
A few people in observing him have tossed out comparisons like Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds, offensively. That's probably best case scenario, but I would say he should be a good bit better than Redus.

GoReds33
05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Josh Hamilton is just incredible, but as we have seen, so is Volquez. Josh Hamilton is as, if not more powerful than Dunn. He can make good contact. He plays good defense. He has the best arm in Major League baseball. I would love to have seen what kind of numbers he could have put up if he didn't have his addiction.

Handofdeath
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Josh Hamilton is just incredible, but as we have seen, so is Volquez. Josh Hamilton is as, if not more powerful than Dunn. He can make good contact. He plays good defense. He has the best arm in Major League baseball. I would love to have seen what kind of numbers he could have put up if he didn't have his addiction.

Therein lies the problem. He could be right now as we speak(type?) lighting up a crack pipe. As a result he has to literally be babysat like my 5 year old son. He has tremendous talent and should have been a perennial All-Star by now but he is a timebomb waiting to go off and it could happen at any time. The Reds made a good trade and got themselves a very good young starting pitcher who is dominating right now. The Rangers got themselves a young hitter who also is dominating but who is one mistake away from possibly losing his career if not his life. The Reds had to make the deal.

redsfanmia
05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
A question I have...since I no longer live in the Cincinnati area...is how good is Jay Bruce? Is he Gary Redus 25 years later, or is this kid better.

I get to see Josh play every day here in Arlington. If he can keep himself clean, he will be very successful here with that short porch in right.

Bruce is a freak and will be everything we hoped Adam Dunn would be and more.

CarolinaRedleg
05-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Who?

Move on, please.

Jr's Boy
05-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Ditto.

NastyBoy
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM

He has been compared by scouts to Ken Griffey Jr and ARod.

EddieMilner
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
He has been compared by scouts to Ken Griffey Jr and ARod.

i haven't heard this comp. Where did you hear this one?

tommycash
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
I am sorry, but I am really tired of all of these posts about Josh Hamilton. He is not coming back. We got a great pitcher out of him. He is really good so far. But he is a Ranger, not a Red. Get over it. Move on. Trevor Hoffman has been a great closer, so lets bring that up every time he gets a save, because the Reds let him get away too. Sometimes you have to let go of the past and keep moving forward.

Kingspoint
05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Too bad, TC. If you don't like it, don't read it, but we don't have to hear your "I'm tired of hearing...." crap.

Some of us don't live here at Redszone and read every post. And, FYI, that's not what this post was about. Go find another thread to complain about.

This thread was about recognizing a good player that happened to play for the REDS last year.

You can't even say something nice about someone around here without someone complaining.

tommycash
05-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Too bad, TC. If you don't like it, don't read it, but we don't have to hear your "I'm tired of hearing...." crap.

Some of us don't live here at Redszone and read every post. And, FYI, that's not what this post was about. Go find another thread to complain about.

This thread was about recognizing a good player that happened to play for the REDS last year.

You can't even say something nice about someone around here without someone complaining.

Your point is my point as well. I loved Josh Hamilton and I wish was still a Red. But this is Redszone, a site about the Reds. I am just saying that everyone wants to complain about the fact that we got rid of him, instead of moving on. I did not say anything negative about Hamilton. All I said was that we need to move on. Thats all. I am sorry if you took it as a negative on your point, yes Hamilton is great. I just get tired of Hamilton is great posts, without people saying that Volquez is just as good. I know that is not the point of your post, I just got the soapbox out in your thread. Next time I will start a new one.

Hondo
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I am sorry, but I am really tired of all of these posts about Josh Hamilton. He is not coming back. We got a great pitcher out of him. He is really good so far. But he is a Ranger, not a Red. Get over it. Move on. Trevor Hoffman has been a great closer, so lets bring that up every time he gets a save, because the Reds let him get away too. Sometimes you have to let go of the past and keep moving forward.

John Wetteland too!

Nuxhall41
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Can you even imagine what the firestorm would currently be had Volquez gotten off to a slow start considering the way Hamilton is playing?

Thank God Volquez is dealing. :)

Hondo
05-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Can you even imagine what the firestorm would currently be had Volquez gotten off to a slow start considering the way Hamilton is playing?

Thank God Volquez is dealing. :)

Dude, that ain't no Joke...

Josh has 44 RBI, does this team even have 2 players with 44 RBI combined...

I am not going to LOOK it up...

Maldez
05-17-2008, 12:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280516113

As great as Edinson Volquez has turned out it still kills me that we lost Josh Hamilton. It just KILLS me!

redhawk61
05-17-2008, 12:44 AM
isn't he with the rangers?

mroby85
05-17-2008, 01:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280516113

As great as Edinson Volquez has turned out it still kills me that we lost Josh Hamilton. It just KILLS me!

I agree, Hamilton was one of my favorites, it was obvious he was going to be an absolute stud. He's a complete player that does everything well, something this team lacks, but like you said, Volquez is the man, and i wouldn't send him back even if i had the choice.

Nuxhall41
05-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Volquez is probably the best Reds pitching prospect of my lifetime, but I wish we could somehow have landed him without giving up Hamilton.(I know - that's just fantasy.:))

Fullboat
05-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Jay Bruce will make us forget Hamilton soon enough.

Betterread
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Jay Bruce will make us forget Hamilton soon enough.
Speak for yourself. I'm not going to forget Hamilton. He was the fiercest Red player in a long, long time. I am pretty sure Bruce will make me forget Corey Patterson, though. How about a 2010 outfiled of Todd Frazier, Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion?

UC_Ken
05-17-2008, 09:46 AM
I wish we could have had both but if we could only have one then I'm glad we've got Volquez. At the game last night I noticed that almost everyone on the Indians team had bad BA, OBP, and SLG. I was amazed that a team with that bad of hitting was in first place. Then it struck me why, dominant pitching.

I'm not saying that position players are not important, because they are. My point is if you have to choose between a dominant hitter and a dominant pitcher take the pitcher. I don't think Volquez is going to win the ERA title and I don't think Hamilton is going to be AL MVP but if you force me to choose one I'm choosing Volquez.

Ghosts of 1990
05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=tommycash;1630992]Your point is my point as well. I loved Josh Hamilton and I wish was still a Red. But this is Redszone, a site about the Reds. QUOTE]

This is not intended for sarcasm, but because I am still a newbie learning the ropes:

But can't we talk about baseball other than Reds?

We're not talking about Aerosmith vs. the Rolling Stones here...

Related to the thread, I couldn't be happier for Hamilton.

schmidty622
05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Why was this moved?

Jack Burton
05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
He is one of the best all around players in the game right now. Great bat, cannon for an arm, speed. Definitely our best offensive option when we traded him. Hamilton > Dunn+Griffey.

fadetoblack2880
05-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Doesn't really matter how good he was or is. He's no longer in Cincinnati. i think volquez is more than adequate as a return for hamilton. let's get past hamilton since he is no longer in a reds uniform.

CarolinaRedleg
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I heard Josh Hamilton's tears can cure cancer. Unfortunately, Josh Hamilton has never cried.

All kidding aside, can we move this topic to RangersZone.com?

Krovvy Red
05-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm not going to forget Hamilton. He was the fiercest Red player in a long, long time. I am pretty sure Bruce will make me forget Corey Patterson, though. How about a 2010 outfiled of Todd Frazier, Bruce and Edwin Encarnacion?

Whether you forget about Hamilton or not, what good would it be for us to have both Bruce and Hamilton without any pitching? Because of Bruce, Hamilton was expendable and he landed us some fantastic pitching in Volquez.

Personally, I think Bruce may easily be the player Hamilton was supposed to be at the age he was supposed to do it at.

jmac
05-17-2008, 02:16 PM
They say you have to give up something to get something.
The reds traded a youngster who is now leading the AL in rbi's for a youngster who now leads the NL in ERA.
I am sure both will cool off some but both can also be stars.
Sounds like right now, it is pretty much great for both teams. Course, both teams still are sub 500.

fadetoblack2880
05-17-2008, 03:19 PM
They say you have to give up something to get something.
The reds traded a youngster who is now leading the AL in rbi's for a youngster who now leads the NL in ERA.
I am sure both will cool off some but both can also be stars.
Sounds like right now, it is pretty much great for both teams. Course, both teams still are sub 500.

I agree. Both will cool off and Hamilton will be on the DL at some point this season. Good pitching is hard to come by and I think Krivsky made a smart move. I hated seeing Hamilton go, but he's gone. His career in Cincinnati is over and done with. Forget him and be happy Volquez is doing so well.

laxtonto
05-17-2008, 03:31 PM
I think alot of Hamilton's #s are a function of him batting 3rd with both Kinsler (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=6197) and Young (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=4566) batting in front of him. Both are getting on base a ton, have good to excellent speed, and have at minimum doubles power. This leads to alot of guys on 2nd or 3rd with Hamilton on base.

Hamilton would signifigantly improve this lineup, but he would not get the opportunities he does in Texas.

As odd as it sounds, the same could be said for Volquez (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3990&position=P). If you look at the Texas pitching staff, if you dont have a good sinker you are handcuffed in that park. Padilla, Ponsoon, Mendoza, Gabbard, Mathis, and to some extent Millwood, and Jennings all have good sinkers or other high groundball tendency pitches. Volquez historicaly had not. That is the one thing that scares me about Volquez, his 1.88 gb/fb is totally aginst his career norms....

jmac
05-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Apparently according to a post on the ORG, Hamilton left game tonight with "general soreness". Said announcers commented he didnt look good as he sprinted to first base.

OesterPoster
05-17-2008, 09:53 PM
From the Yahoo Fantasy notes:

TEXAS OUTFIELDER JOSH HAMILTON LEFT THE GAME IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH INNING DUE TO EXHAUSTION .

laxtonto
05-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Hamilton left after his 3 AB, which it seems was planned. He has slammed into the wall atleast 2 times in the last few days and banged himself up pretty good yesterday in the first inning stretching out for a ball in the first.

Considering he leads the Rangers in innings played, im not to worried about it. Im suprised that he hasnt been given more days off already at this point. The ability for Texas to shift him from CF to RF and DH is a definate bonus for Hamilton.

_Sir_Charles_
05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Actually, ESPN is saying it's an apparent leg injury for Hammy. Also, Roy Oswalt left the game injured as well.

laxtonto
05-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Ron Washington says Hamilton is fine and was just sore from the wear and tear the last few games, with Byrd back a perfect time to give Hamilton some rest....

As far as ESPN reporting leg injury, I havent been ablr to find it. either they pulled it or something...

Kingspoint
05-17-2008, 10:38 PM
He's exhausted from running the bases too often. His 5 for 5 day with a Triple and 2 Homeruns yesterday was just too tiring.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a "should we have or shouldn't we have Hamilton" thread. It's nice to see the consensus glad that we have Volquez.

Volquez against Lee tomorrow is going to be a classis...only the 3rd time in MLB history that the AL and NL ERA leaders will have faced each other in a game.

Blue
05-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Josh is very very good. One of the best considering that he plays a premium position. But Volquez is also one of the best, and he addressed a long term need. This trade will work for both teams as long as both stay healthy.

NarrowStairs
05-18-2008, 04:01 AM
If a player comes to bat with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs and doesn't get the run in, he deserves to be shot.

If you are facing a LEGIT strikeout pitcher (less than 5% of MLB pitchers) then it is understandable. Otherwise - put the ball in the outfield. It isn't hard to do.

NarrowStairs
05-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh, and to answer the question, Josh Hamilton is one of the top 5 outfielders to EVER play the game. Talent wise - he is THE BEST.

OSUredsFAN
05-18-2008, 08:00 AM
He's exhausted from running the bases too often. His 5 for 5 day with a Triple and 2 Homeruns yesterday was just too tiring.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a "should we have or shouldn't we have Hamilton" thread. It's nice to see the consensus glad that we have Volquez.

Volquez against Lee tomorrow is going to be a classis...only the 3rd time in MLB history that the AL and NL ERA leaders will have faced each other in a game.

Its nice to say that but remember that the history part only goes back 12 years or so.
As for Hamilton, who is he?? If he's not on the Reds I don't follow him. Question should be, how good is Volquez? he is very good right now. I'll take him any day ahead of that hamilton fellow.

Lockdwn11
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Actually, ESPN is saying it's an apparent leg injury for Hammy. Also, Roy Oswalt left the game injured as well.

Roy Oswalt left the game with hurt feelings after Hamiltion 3rd AB. Hamiltion is very good but so is Volquez and I will take Volquez arm over Hammy's bat. Lets hope hamilton is ok because he's on my fantasy team.

bubbachunk
05-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh, and to answer the question, Josh Hamilton is one of the top 5 outfielders to EVER play the game. Talent wise - he is THE BEST.

LOL

He has not even played 1 full major league season yet and you are already putting him in the top 5? Please calm down and see if he can keep it going and stay healthy.

OSUredsFAN
05-18-2008, 01:01 PM
LOL

He has not even played 1 full major league season yet and you are already putting him in the top 5? Please calm down and see if he can keep it going and stay healthy.

I would think and/or hope that he was kidding.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
From the Yahoo Fantasy notes:

TEXAS OUTFIELDER JOSH HAMILTON LEFT THE GAME IN THE BOTTOM OF THE FIFTH INNING DUE TO EXHAUSTION .

He has an injured shoulder from the Friday night game. He dove for a fly ball and landed on his shoulder. He is listed day-to-day. Nothing major, but rest is needed.

bigred97
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
His injury's was a concern of my last year. He missed a lot of games due to minor nagging injury's. Of course when he was playing he was awesome. This makes me feel better about the trade.

laxtonto
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
It just kills me that people reaffirm the idea that Hamilton is a injury concern because he finally took his first day off of the season. (Which he actualy didnt get because he pinch hit )

Heres a few fun facts: Hamilton is 14th in all of MLB in at bats, 9th in total plate apperances, 28th in innings played in the OF, and 18th in total chances in the OF. Out of all of those stats there is not a single Red that ranks ahead of him.

The big key for Hamilton is so far this season he has had 33 starts in CF, 9 in RF, 3 as a DH. Being able to play in RF and DH, is what is keeping him on the feild. Add to the fact that the Texas manager has emphasized that whenever Hamilton feels tired or sore to tell him so he can rest him or DH him.

One of the things im starting to realize with Hamilton is that most of these "nagging" injuries are a direct result of how he plays. Much like KGjr at this age, one day the reckless abandon we all love finally leads to injury.

This is not a retort to you bigred, its more out of frustration of how quickly people label players "injury prone".

Homer Bailey
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Another homer for Josh tonight.... it just doesn't stop...