PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Prank on Fogg

fisch11
05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Courtesy of C. Trent Rosecrans' Blog:

Big League gag
Wednesday, May 14, 2008, 04:31 PM EST [Reds]

Reds reliever Josh Fogg walked into the clubhouse Wednesday and couldn't find his glove.

It's not that his glove wasn't in his locker, but it's that it was behind 60 boxes of pennies, weighing 16 pounds each and worth $25 each.

Ken Griffey Jr. owed Fogg $1,500.

"When you owe a man $1,500, you pay him $1,500," Griffey said.

Fogg, couldn't believe it. He said Griffey told him he'd pay him in pennies, but he didn't believe it.

"I'd like to thank the people at National City for making it happen," Griffey said.

Not to mention the clubhouse crew that brought in the pennies and stacked them in Fogg's locker.

"I'm going to take them to the bullpen and count them, I'm free for about nine innings," Fogg said.

Bullpen catcher Mike Stefanski offered Fogg a $1,000 check for the pile and said he'd move them out of his locker for them. Fogg asked Stefanski if he wanted to help count them in the bullpen.

Griffey said he wanted to have them delivered in bags, but he would have felt bad for the people at the bank who would have to count them when Fogg deposited his booty.

Noticing the Brinks stamp on the boxes, Fogg said, "They probably brought them in the Brinks truck with Griffey's paycheck."

Still, Fogg was in disbelief that it actually happened.

"There's not much with a bank I can't do," Griffey said. "Including bouncing it."

Everyone in the clubhouse was pretty impressed by the joke.

"Someone had to keep everyone in this locker room from killing each other," Griffey said.

__________________________________________________ ____________

What a great gag! Also, in Rosecrans' blog about Keppinger's injury, Jeff talks about how Griffey really sat down and talked with him and calmed him down last night. That is a true veteran looking out for young upcoming players. With all of the trade talk swirling around Griffey, it really makes me sad to think he may not retire as a Cincinnati Red.

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-14-2008, 07:00 PM
good lord, thats a lot of pennies

GoReds33
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
That's classic. If he could get Griffey to autograph a box of those, he could auction it off. That would be a great charity thing.

My only question is why Griffey is borrowing money.

redsfanmia
05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
That's classic. If he could get Griffey to autograph a box of those, he could auction it off. That would be a great charity thing.

My only question is why Griffey is borrowing money.

I am sure it was a payoff for a wager.

NarrowStairs
05-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I would LOVE to have someone pull a prank on me where I end up with $1500. I don't care if its yen, pesos, pennies, whatever.

elfmanvt07
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Griffey lost the bet that he'd be hurt by this point in the season.

Orenda
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
So now that this has been made public that means Josh Fogg has to pay taxes on that extra income right?

Jack Burton
05-15-2008, 03:11 PM
This isn't even funny to me, it's just dumb. Seems like kind of a jerk thing to do.

GoReds33
05-15-2008, 03:16 PM
This isn't even funny to me, it's just dumb. Seems like kind of a jerk thing to do.It does sound mean, but atleast Griffey had it packaged properly so the bank would accept them. Fogg makes $1,000,000 this year, so I don't think $1,500 will kill him.

Fullboat
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
So now that this has been made public that means Josh Fogg has to pay taxes on that extra income right?

I wonder if any one has paid the I.R.S in pennies.:D Then again you
don't want to tick those guys off.:eek:

durl
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Cool prank. I have a couple of relatives who, every Christmas, come up with creative ways to gift cash. My favorite was $25 of quarters spread out in a line and sandwiched between 2 strips of duct tape.

I also liked the tidbit about Griffey talking to Keppinger. It just goes to show you that there are different types of leadership. Some run out front and draw tons of attention, others lead quietly. Both can accomplish the same thing but do it in their own ways.

BlastFurnace
05-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Griffey is a good guy. I'm sure he's as disappointed as anyone as to how many injuries he has had and how his time in Cincinnati has been less than perfect.

The Griffey family has given our fan base a lot of great memories. He did it the right way...without the use of performance enhancing drugs.

I hope that wherever Junior ends up....even if he stays with us....that he has an injury free rest of his career.

bluesanta
05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Junior's a class act, but also has a funny side to him. This penny prank must have been hilarious, and far surpasses anything I could come up with.

CWRed
05-15-2008, 07:26 PM
This isn't even funny to me, it's just dumb. Seems like kind of a jerk thing to do.

Please tell me you are kidding. Oh my. :eek:

OSUredsFAN
05-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Are you kidding? Junior isn't a jerk at all. If your serious, I think someone needs to lighten up.

kfm
05-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I'm going to guess that you are not a fan of Griffey's. I believe when the bet was made Griffey joked that if he lost he would pay him in pennies. If Griffey cured a disease people would accuse him of trying to grab the spotlight.

redsfan1966
05-15-2008, 09:17 PM
This prank is in the words of Tony Kornheiser.....claaaaasic....

Jack Burton
05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
It's elementary, something a child would do. (If a child had that type of money).

BlastFurnace
05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm going to guess that you are not a fan of Griffey's. I believe when the bet was made Griffey joked that if he lost he would pay him in pennies. If Griffey cured a disease people would accuse him of trying to grab the spotlight.

I agree. Thanks for posting that. Even though Griffey plays hard, has done it the right way without steroids....but has happened to get hurt while playing baseball...people want to hate on him.

From everything I have ever heard about him, he's a great teammate and a great guy. I'll miss him when he's gone from the Reds....and from the game.

smoke6
05-16-2008, 11:19 AM
It's elementary, something a child would do. (If a child had that type of money).

I take it you have never been in a baseball clubhouse/locker room for any extended amount of time. It's stuff like this that keeps coming to the park fun for 162 games a year. Lighten up.

CWRed
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM

Do you frown when you see cute puppies?

Hypnotoad
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
"Not to mention the clubhouse crew that brought in the pennies and stacked them in Fogg's locker."

I hoped he tipped the clubhouse guys who actually did the work.

Boston Red
05-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I wonder what would happen if some kids in elementary school tried this with the lunch ladies...

smoke6
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
I wonder what would happen if some kids in elementary school tried this with the lunch ladies...

Here you go...

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/pennies.readington.township.2.666113.html

Boston Red
05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Here you go...

http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/pennies.readington.township.2.666113.html

There was a long thread about this one on the non-baseball chatter board a few weeks back. Pretty funny that this comes up again in a slightly different context!

bounty37h
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Uhm, thats why its called a prank? Otherwise it would just be giving him his money, and no funny story for people to moan about. Some people need to learn to relax and enjoy life as it comes.

I(heart)Freel
05-16-2008, 03:14 PM
"Not to mention the clubhouse crew that brought in the pennies and stacked them in Fogg's locker."

I hoped he tipped the clubhouse guys who actually did the work.

I know for a fact that Junior is extremely generous to the clubhouse and equipment guys, year in and year out.

So yea...

Might be a good thread to remind everyone of the other side of Junior too... the guy who consoled Keppinger the other night in the training room.

Keep hating if you must, but it's seriously misplaced.

Hypnotoad
05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
^ I like Griffey, and I believe what you wrote, but it does make it sound like he has 'his people' do all the labor for a prank. Maybe the article should've stated what you just did.

Donder
05-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Jim Rome just did his "final burn" on this subject. Let's just say he didn't think it was very funny. Kind of a petty thing for him to get so worked up about, IMO.

Slyder
05-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Jim Rome just did his "final burn" on this subject. Let's just say he didn't think it was very funny. Kind of a petty thing for him to get so worked up about, IMO.

Why do you think I never watch his show? He tries to make mountains out of molehills (and a craptastic job at that) all the time and is a pompous know it all pain in the butt.

Redeye fly
05-16-2008, 06:50 PM

The host of The Third Shift on Fox Radio loved it. He said it was his favorite story of the day.

Jack Burton
05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Rome makes a good point.

Redeye fly
05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Rome almost never makes a good point. The thing is, he doesn't even try to make good points. He's all about trying to entertain and stir the pot.