PDA

View Full Version : Mariners not concerned about money

redhawk61
05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
from MLBTR.com

According to Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, Ken Griffey Jr.'s remaining $8MM this year and his $16MM option/$4MM buyout next year will not deter the Mariners. The revelation that Junior may not require his '09 option exercised and the chunk of deferred money could indeed make the money a non-issue.

One question is whether the Reds will treat this as a salary dump or if they'll want a decent prospect in return. The other is whether Griffey would want to join the last place Mariners.

ChatterRed
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Junior has always appeared to me as a hardhead. He may not be in reality, but his reluctance to move from CF (which he finally did) and now his reluctance to want to DH is hurting his career, IMO.

The Reds are in last place too, like the Mariners. He could go back home, to a huge ovation, where he started, and concentrate on hitting as a DH. It would probably prolong his career for 3 or 4 more years if he wanted to continue.

It will be interesting to see if the Reds get anything from the Mariners for Junior.

Rounding Third
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I think its more of pride. And he isn't the only one like it, a lot of players don't want to DH. For example, Gary Sheffield.

Griffey012
05-15-2008, 01:07 AM
until he becomes one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game, he won't become a DH. When he can look across the field everyday and see Adam Dunn, who is much worse, he will feel safe being a right fielder.

Right now, the team is starting to make me feel good. The bats come alive against Santana and the Mets, a rookie picks us up with a walk off hit. We have a mix of veterans and young talents, lets see what happens in the next 15-20 games or so.