PDA

View Full Version : Putting Fannies in the Seats

Griffey4MVP
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Watching this game tonight with all the empty seats brings out the business sense part of my brain. I dont claim to know a lot about marketing and ballpark management, but this I do know. Empty seats mean less money brought in at the gate which means less money spent at concessions.

Now before someone uses the winning brings people to the park argument, which I no doubt agree with, where is the creativity from the people who make decisions? In a year like this, where expectations have not been fulfilled, at least so far, something unusual has to be done to get fans to the ballpark, and there are only so many bobblehead nights to go around.

Players have always said that playing in front of a full house creates excitement and added adrenaline. That doesnt mean a crappy team will suddenly win if the ballpark is full, but it certainly could make the difference between a close win or loss.

Simply put, home field advantage does exist and in years that you are struggling in the standings doesnt mean you have to struggle in the stands.

My solution is simple. It does no good for the team to have no one sitting in a seat that costs 40.00 when you could have someone sitting there for 20.00, or 10.00. There is no reason not to have every seat full for a home game, even if you give the tickets away for free. The team still wins, because they create interest and excitement in their product, concessions still get sold, jersey sells, etc. Not only that, but more kids at the ballpark means more kids grow up fans of your team.

I just dont get why the Reds, and countless other teams, dont get this simple premise.

bubbachunk
05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
$
that is all they care about. I know you make the argument that people just being there will make money from concessions but I beg to differ because I have gone to countless games without spending a dime on food or a drink.

Rounding Third
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Bring up Jay Bruce and give me $1 hot dogs and I will go all the time.

George Foster
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
this is real simple, if people know they can buy a $40 dollar seat for $5 bucks 1 hour before the game, who would EVER buy season tickets or order tickets weeks in advance? They cannot discount the seats for this reason.

Just because there is only 15 thousand at a game does not mean that they did not sell about 25 thousand seats. I went to Monday night's game and there were a lot of season ticket seats empty and most of the suits were empty as well. All of the suits are sold out. It does hurt concessions.

bluesanta
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
My solution to get fans in the seats, keep winning:)

bucknutdet
05-15-2008, 12:01 AM
My solution to get fans in the seats, keep winning:)

No doubt. The only way they'll get the fans back is by returning to a winning tradition. If the Reds win, the fans will come back.

redlegs2370
05-15-2008, 12:24 AM
The Louisville Riverbats had more at their game Wednesday afternoon (13,131) than the Reds (12,756) did Wednesday night.

Hondo
05-15-2008, 12:42 AM
No doubt. The only way they'll get the fans back is by returning to a winning tradition. If the Reds win, the fans will come back.

Ya Know, this team has a 70 Million Dallar Payroll and it seems to me that Million after Million is not put to good use...

If Management would just Invest Wisely and Invest in a couple more pieces... Attendance would be up and they would make that much more Money from People going to the Ball Park...

I wonder why New Ownership hasn't figured that out?

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Bring up Jay Bruce and give me $1 hot dogs and I will go all the time.

amen.

I live in Columbus a 2 hour drive easy, and even with the price of gas when they call up bruce i will be driving to every home game... that is why i'm going to less games now to prepare for this.

Griffey4MVP
05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
$
that is all they care about. I know you make the argument that people just being there will make money from concessions but I beg to differ because I have gone to countless games without spending a dime on food or a drink.

so if all they care about is money how is having no one paying for a ticket to the game that costs 20.00 better than someone pay 15.00 for that same ticket and actually having a butt in the seat? seems to me if your product on the field isnt going to fill the seats on its own, you should do something, even if it is radical.

RSNtransplant
05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
They half price tickets, which is exactly what you are wishing they would do, about once a home stand it seems. Tomorrow night is senior citizen half price night, then all this weekend is a give away. I read in Why the Foul Poll is Fair for every $1 value on a give away you sell about 3 thousand more seats. They have college/student half price nights, family half price nights, business day specials, they are doing exactly what you think they should, any more would prevent season ticket sales as previously mentioned.

Blame the team for bad management, bad play, bad trades, bad decisions, but it isn't their fault they have bad fans(excluding the 10k plus that show up on a weekday game with regularity). OD sellouts followed by low attendance equals bad fans.

He got it!
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM
The kids are still in school. Once school is out then the parents can have their kids out later than 10pm.

Orodle
05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
My solution is to win games. That always seems to work.

OSUredsFAN
05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
The kids are still in school. Once school is out then the parents can have their kids out later than 10pm.

I'm so sick of this excuss, everywhere else than can draw more than 13K.

He got it!
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Just the facts. I'm not even a parent yet, but if I was I wouldn't have my son or daughter out at the ballpark until 11pm when they have school the next day. If you don't like that answer than I will have to agree with the masses - the best way to get fannies in the seat is to win baseball games. I would much rather watch a contending ballclub and pay 3 dollars for a hot dog then watch this team lose again while munching on a 1 dollar hot dog.

IowaRed
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Just the facts. I'm not even a parent yet, but if I was I wouldn't have my son or daughter out at the ballpark until 11pm when they have school the next day. If you don't like that answer than I will have to agree with the masses - the best way to get fannies in the seat is to win baseball games. I would much rather watch a contending ballclub and pay 3 dollars for a hot dog then watch this team lose again while munching on a 1 dollar hot dog.

I think it's hilarious that you spell both announcers names incorrectly in your sig. :)

He got it!
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Ha Ha. Oh well.

He got it!
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not about to change it now with the Reds having won 3 in a row. ;)

IowaRed
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm not about to change it now with the Reds having won 3 in a row. ;)

wasn't trying to be mean, just noticed it and thought it was funny

He got it!
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Ya - no problem. I was always kind of figured I misspelled both of their names, but you are the first to confirm my theory.

BurgervilleBuck
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
My family and I try to attend at least one game per month per season. And even then, it's pricey. Between tickets, parking, merchandise, food, etc., you're easily spending nearly $300 - $500 each time you visit.

Factor in a stagnant economy and high gas prices and I'm not surprised more folks aren't paying to go to the ballgame.

Now, that doesn't mean it's right. I'm fully prepared for this team to start winning and winning big. Then you'll see the stands fill up. And then we'll wonder why we ever had this conversation.

elfmanvt07
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
My family and I try to attend at least one game per month per season. And even then, it's pricey. Between tickets, parking, merchandise, food, etc., you're easily spending nearly $300 - $500 each time you visit.

Sounds like the perfect use for your stimulus check! :beerme:

RSNtransplant
05-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Factor in a stagnant economy and high gas prices and I'm not surprised more folks aren't paying to go to the ballgame.

Now, that doesn't mean it's right. I'm fully prepared for this team to start winning and winning big. Then you'll see the stands fill up. And then we'll wonder why we ever had this conversation.

Parkings $5, tickets $80(family of four), how much do you eat? You know they let you bring food and drinks in with you.

bluesanta
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
All through May, students are able to purchase half price tickets, except for the Indians series, which of course, myself and 6 other of my holligan friends will be attending on Saturday. Driving from Zanesville is about a 2 and a half hour trip, so we're looking to get to one a month.

And you can't beat those 7 dollar bleacher seats, it costs that much to go to a high school game anymore.

redsfan1966
05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
I am a huge Reds fan (duhh..I guess I wouldnt be here if I wasnt)...but I have to say I am always dumbfounded when I hear that Cincinnati is a great "baseball town". Sorry, I just cant agree with that anymore...maybe up until the mid 90s or so....but now, no...we may have great and knowledgable baseball fans but with the dismal attendance over the past few years, I cannot agree that Cincy is a great "baseball town" anymore.

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
simple solution (can't help with gas though)

-purchase $7 bleacher seats
-sit on the reds dugout
-hit up a quiznos or jersey mikes on the way for $20 for the whole family
-limit everyone to an item or two at the game
-don't buy the God forsaken merchandise