PDA

View Full Version : Lance Berkman - triple crown possibility?

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Has anyone noticed the unbelievable season Lance Berkman is having right now? After another huge game today in which he singled, homered, and walked, he's now batting a robust .391/.472/.808 - 1.280 OPS through 151 atbats. He's got a current 14-game hitting streak and is 30 for his last 54. He's got an eye-popping 32 extra-base hits in 151 atbats and has a 1.252 OPS vs RHP and 1.300 OPS vs LHP. Here is where he ranks in some of the major offensive categories:

-2nd in BA (.391)
-1st in RBI (43)
-8th in stolen bases (7)
-1st in SLG (.808)
-1st in homeruns (15)
-1st in runs (45)
-3rd in OBP (.472)
-1st in OPS (1.280)

He's first in two of the three triple crown categories (homeruns and RBI) and only trails Chipper Jones (.418 BA) in batting average.

Right now Berkman is carrying the Astros on his back. If the season ended today he would have to be the NL MVP IMO. It's been a long time since I've seen a hitter go through a hot streak like this (well, except for Jay Bruce in Louisville;)). This guy is just an amazing hitter and a future Hall of Famer no doubt.

*BaseClogger*
05-16-2008, 01:21 AM
right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?

dougdirt
05-16-2008, 01:30 AM
right now it looks like he should be a HOFer, but will the sports writers and their counting stats agree?

Berkman is well on his way to becoming one of the best switch hitters ever. They will absolutely agree.

If Berkman were to retire today, he would have the highest OPS of any switch hitter in the history of the game with at least 4000 at bats.

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 01:37 AM

Folks who still go by counting stats have to love Berkman too. He's a career .303 hitter and five (and on his way to six) 100+ RBI seasons, including three 125+ RBI seasons. He didn't register his first 500+ atbat season until he was 25-years old, so he most likely won't reach the 3,000 hit mark and may not hit 500+ homeruns (though he has a chance) but he's still a sure-fire Hall of Famer in my book. He currently has the 12th best OPS of all-time among hitters with at least 3,000 plate appearances and the highest OPS for a switch-hitter, ranking just ahead of Mickey Mantle (.977).

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 01:41 AM
BTW, can anyone guess who has the 66th highest OPS in major league history with a minimum of 3,000 PA's?

Patrick Bateman
05-16-2008, 02:07 AM
BTW, can anyone guess who has the 66th highest OPS in major league history with a minimum of 3,000 PA's?

Tony Womack?

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Tony Womack?

I said 66th....not 10,666. ;)

But the actual answer is Adam Dunn. Dunner has the 66th highest OPS of all-time and the 22nd highest OPS among active players.

edabbs44
05-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Ugh.

RedsBaron
05-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Berkman is a terrific hitter, but, as On BaseMachine noted, he didn't have his first 500 at bat season until age 25. That relatively late start could ultimately hurt him in the counting stats department, as he's now age 32.
Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives Berkman a score of 90.5, just below the 100 score of the average member of the Hall of Fame, but Berkman obviously has time to pad that total.
Of the ten most similar hitters to Berkman in baseball history, Hack Wilson is the only one presently in the Hall of Fame, but that list includes Albert Pujols and David Ortiz, neither of whom is yet eligible (Pujols is a virtual lock for induction). Hitters most similar to Berkman at his present age also include Larry Walker, Fred McGriff and Albert Belle, none of whom are not yet in the HOF but all of whom have decent HOF credentials.
If Berkamn could somehow arrange to play against the Reds in all of his games he could be a certain future member of the HOF. ;)

Highlifeman21
05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Triple Crown?

I didn't see Berkman run in The Derby... :confused:

Cyclone792
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
The biggest key for Berkman will be not falling off the cliff as he gets up into his mid 30s. If he can combined a nice season this year another additional three or four typical Lance Berkman seasons, then he'll likely be a Hall of Famer without too much question. But if he just goes into a tailspin in two years, though, it could be rough.

Highlifeman21
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
The biggest key for Berkman will be not falling off the cliff as he gets up into his mid 30s. If he can combined a nice season this year another additional three or four typical Lance Berkman seasons, then he'll likely be a Hall of Famer without too much question. But if he just goes into a tailspin in two years, though, it could be rough.

At least he's bought his body a couple more years by already moving to 1B.

Adam Dunn.... paging Adam Dunn.... your spot @ 1B is ready for you....

WebScorpion
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Triple Crown?

I didn't see Berkman run in The Derby... :confused:

Any man who can even stay in the race against horses gets my respect...let alone win the three big ones. :eek:

fearofpopvol1
05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, we know 1 thing for sure. He'll help his triple crown cause everytime the Astros play the Reds.

*BaseClogger*
05-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Berkman is a terrific hitter, but, as On BaseMachine noted, he didn't have his first 500 at bat season until age 25. That relatively late start could ultimately hurt him in the counting stats department, as he's now age 32.
Bill James Hall of Fame Monitor gives Berkman a score of 90.5, just below the 100 score of the average member of the Hall of Fame, but Berkman obviously has time to pad that total.
Of the ten most similar hitters to Berkman in baseball history, Hack Wilson is the only one presently in the Hall of Fame, but that list includes Albert Pujols and David Ortiz, neither of whom is yet eligible (Pujols is a virtual lock for induction). Hitters most similar to Berkman at his present age also include Larry Walker, Fred McGriff and Albert Belle, none of whom are not yet in the HOF but all of whom have decent HOF credentials.
If Berkamn could somehow arrange to play against the Reds in all of his games he could be a certain future member of the HOF. ;)

what he said. I mention sports writers and counting stats and the counter-argument I get is OPS? Berkman doesn't even have 300 home runs yet... ;)

cincyinco
05-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Berkman HOF talk. I love it.

Mainly cause he gave me a signed ball right on the sweet spot. Berkman is the OG Reds killah! Love him except when he plays the Reds.

Hollcat
05-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Who was it the Reds drafted before Berkman? I'm thinking it was Brandon Larson.

fearofpopvol1
05-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Berkman hit another jack tonight. That guy is just ridiculous.

CTA513
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Berkman hit another jack tonight. That guy is just ridiculous.

He just singled in the 6th inning and is now hitting .589 this month.

:eek: