PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus on Chris Valaika

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Premium stuff so I'll just summarize:

A scout recently watched Valaika play and come away very impressed. Says Valaika reminds him of Eric Byrnes the way he goes about his business. Says he can really hit and controls the plate. Calls his plate approach fearless. His power is legit - his balls travel quick and far. The scout shares the same concerns about Valaika being able to stay in the middle of the diamond but says his bat is good enough for any position on the field, including corner infield and outfield spots.

That is all.

redhawk61
05-16-2008, 03:47 AM
We are going to have some serious versatile guys ready very soon with Valaika and Frazier. They both can play many different posistions and be an everydayer at w/e the posistion may be. Either, if they continue to progress could take over LF from Dunn, perferably Todd, while Chris could move over the 3B and allow us to trade EE for something.

Kc61
05-16-2008, 10:59 AM
They may play many different positions, but do they play any well?

Reds keeping Valaika at short and moving Frazier all over the field. Would like to see each settle in at a realistic position.

Scrap Irony
05-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I would love to see either (or both) Valaika or Frazier learn to patrol CF. Both have, IMO, the athelticism to play it well. And, if Stubbs can't hit well enough to move up, both of these guys certainly should be able to. Plus, this should fast track both, allowing them to go as far as their gloves will take them.

lollipopcurve
05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Versatility is good -- it gives the team the option of acquiring impact players at more positions if they can move a homegrown guy around.

dougdirt
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I would love to see either (or both) Valaika or Frazier learn to patrol CF. Both have, IMO, the athelticism to play it well. And, if Stubbs can't hit well enough to move up, both of these guys certainly should be able to. Plus, this should fast track both, allowing them to go as far as their gloves will take them.

If we are going to play anyone in CF because of their bat, its going to be Jay Bruce. He can play CF better than either of those two could.

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 12:29 PM

If it were up to me, Todd Frazier would drop the infield glove in favor of an outfield glove. Dunn most likely won't be re-signed, so I'd move Frazier to left field and work him in as the left fielder of the future. He's got the bat to play any where on the field and with his athleticism he could develop into an average-to-above average fielder out there.

crazyredfan40
05-16-2008, 12:34 PM
What about Bruce in CF, Frazier and Valaika in RF and LF...

I know many don't want to see Bruce in CF, but a lineup of

Votto
Phillips
Kepp
EE
Frazier
Valaika
Bruce
Catcher

That is a tough lineup top to bottom...Everyone with power, a couple high strikeout guys, but you have OBP with quite a few, some free swingers, some walkers...

The only thing you really lack is a true leadoff hitter...Defense at SS, and a true defender in CF that can cover a ton of ground...

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Bruce is not a true defender in CF. If Bruce plays CF on a consistent basis in the majors then it will hold back some of his development with the bat. Why? Well, if Bruce shifts to RF it will allow him to continue to bulk up and add more muscle and power. He can't do that if he stays in CF. The best thing to do, IMO, is move Bruce to RF, Frazier to LF and acquire a stud CFer who can cover a ton of ground, or hope like heck that Stubbs pans out.

camisadelgolf
05-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Bruce is not a true defender in CF. If Bruce plays CF on a consistent basis in the majors then it will hold back some of his development with the bat. Why? Well, if Bruce shifts to RF it will allow him to continue to bulk up and add more muscle and power. He can't do that if he stays in CF. The best thing to do, IMO, is move Bruce to RF, Frazier to LF and acquire a stud CFer who can cover a ton of ground, or hope like heck that Stubbs pans out.

I don't get to say this often about anyone, but I think I agree with you completely on this topic.

11larkin11
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Having a guy like him in left and Bruce in right would allow us to put a high walk, low average, gold glove fielder in CF, like some guy name Stubbs.

redhawk61
05-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Having a guy like him in left and Bruce in right would allow us to put a high walk, low average, gold glove fielder in CF, like some guy name Stubbs.

So a slightly better Correy Patterson, with the more walks and slight better Defense

mlbfan30
05-16-2008, 03:50 PM
So a slightly better Correy Patterson, with the more walks and slight better Defense

How is that slightly better?

A Patterson with more walks to probably around a .340-.350 OBP is a very valuable MLB player, especially if it's a GG centerfielder.

Almost everyone here loves Willits, and Stubbs could be pretty much the same player while replacing some AVG for power. Along with playing better defense.

Sure, he might not be that All-Star type player, but he'll be helpful to a team.

redhawk61
05-16-2008, 04:03 PM

A Patterson with more walks to probably around a .340-.350 OBP is a very valuable MLB player, especially if it's a GG centerfielder.

Almost everyone here loves Willits, and Stubbs could be pretty much the same player while replacing some AVG for power. Along with playing better defense.

Sure, he might not be that All-Star type player, but he'll be helpful to a team.

Touche

bucksfan2
05-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Not that I agree or disagree with you assesment but Berkman played CF his first few years in Houston and it really didn't hurt him that much.

OnBaseMachine
05-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Not that I agree or disagree with you assesment but Berkman played CF his first few years in Houston and it really didn't hurt him that much.

Yeah but he lacked range out there. Bruce could get bigger and still play CF but he wouldn't cover near as much ground as needed in center field.

gedred69
05-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah but he lacked range out there. Bruce could get bigger and still play CF but he wouldn't cover near as much ground as needed in center field.

Yet, Astros knew it was important enough to get Berkman in the line-up, that they put him in CF anyway. I believe Bruce has played the majority of time this year in CF. This was the same knock on Hamilton, yet that is what he is playing mostly for his 2nd year now. If you've got a stud hitter who is more than an above avg. fielder, get him in the line-up. CF is okay for now.

Benihana
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Sounds like Mike Cameron to me, which is exactly what I've always hoped Stubbs would become. Even as a poor man's Cameron, he could fit in nicely between Bruce and Frazier/Valaika. I'd just like to see him (Stubbs) power his way to Chattanooga by the end of the summer.

PS I also think the prospect of Valaika in CF could be interesting. Many SS have turned into plus-centerfielders, there's no reason not to try it with Valaika. He's at least a year/level ahead of Stubbs at this point.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Yet, Astros knew it was important enough to get Berkman in the line-up, that they put him in CF anyway. I believe Bruce has played the majority of time this year in CF. This was the same knock on Hamilton, yet that is what he is playing mostly for his 2nd year now. If you've got a stud hitter who is more than an above avg. fielder, get him in the line-up. CF is okay for now.

I have no problem with calling Bruce up now and sticking him in CF, but in the long run Bruce is a right fielder IMO.

The_jbh
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
I am curious why people are so excited about moving Fraizer to LF? Why not EE to LF and Fraizer to third... i like that scenario better.

dougdirt
05-22-2008, 01:00 AM
I am curious why people are so excited about moving Fraizer to LF? Why not EE to LF and Fraizer to third... i like that scenario better.

I like Edwin at 3B in the long run more than I do Frazier.

Cedric
05-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I like Edwin at 3B in the long run more than I do Frazier.

Understatement. Edwin would be a disaster in LF. He's someone that needs to stay involved in the game. Not even mentioning he's been playing well at 3b this year. Frazier is quickly growing out of 3b anyway. He needs to get an outfield mitt and get out there now. I can't predict what will happen with Dunn. If Dunn is gone it's fairly likely we will see a Frazier/Bruce/Stubbs or Dickerson in CF starting in 2010. Best case scenario.

RedlegJake
05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd love to see Cutter Dykstra last until pick 83. Probably a pipe dream but Bruce could man CF until Dykstra came up, or Stubbs and Dickerson could with Bruce in RF and Frazier in LF with Dykstra joining them in 2011 or so.

redsmetz
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
PS I also think the prospect of Valaika in CF could be interesting. Many SS have turned into plus-centerfielders, there's no reason not to try it with Valaika. He's at least a year/level ahead of Stubbs at this point.

Didn't Eric Davis start out as a shortstop?

Edit: I answered my own question. His first professional season at Eugene, he played Shortstop, 2B & OF (18 games, 3 and 2 respectively). Switched outfield the following season, again at Eugene, before moving up to High A in his third year.

flyer85
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Understatement. Edwin would be a disaster in LF. He's someone that needs to stay involved in the game. Not even mentioning he's been playing well at 3b this year. Frazier is quickly growing out of 3b anyway. He needs to get an outfield mitt and get out there now. I can't predict what will happen with Dunn. If Dunn is gone it's fairly likely we will see a Frazier/Bruce/Stubbs or Dickerson in CF starting in 2010. Best case scenario.IMHO Reed is a better bet for a CF option than Stubbs or Dickerson.