PDA

View Full Version : Mark Prior: Tear in Shoulder Capsule

reds44
05-17-2008, 01:54 AM
http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=237872

Agent John Boggs said Friday that Mark Prior was found to have a tear in the capsule of his right shoulder.

Prior won't undergo another surgery following his latest setback, but he will take a couple of weeks off from throwing. "It's a setback, but in terms of how big of a setback, we won't know until you know how [Prior] is feeling," Boggs said. "We just hope it's not a major setback." Even if everything goes perfectly, Prior probably won't be an option until after the All-Star break. It's looking less likely than ever that he'll contribute this season. May. 16 - 9:02 pm et

dougdirt
05-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Seriously.... its very unfortunate. Mark Prior was great to watch when he was healthy. I love pitching and I love watching great pitching. Mark Prior was a great pitcher, even if it was only short lived.

BCubb2003
05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
It sounds like it's going to be one of those legendary lost careers.

cincyinco
05-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but question:

Does Eric Davis count as one of those legendary lost careers?

BCubb2003
05-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Eric Davis had a diminished but acknowledged career. I was beginning to think Griffey would have a lost career if he hadn't come back to hit 500 and soon 600. The kind of career people look back on years later and say, "Who's that guy? He must have been pretty good for awhile. I wonder what happened to him?"

Not quite like Sockalexis, but still...

vaticanplum
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Prior is now officially getting hurt in body parts I've never heard of.

Playadlc
05-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I hope this ends the debate that Dusty was the one that ruined Prior.

Prior's mechanics have always been terrible. He always put way too much strain on his shoulder because of how high his elbow is when he pitches. Unless he completely changes his mechanics, he will never make it as a pitcher.

dougdirt
05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I hope this ends the debate that Dusty was the one that ruined Prior.

Prior's mechanics have always been terrible. He always put way too much strain on his shoulder because of how high his elbow is when he pitches. Unless he completely changes his mechanics, he will never make it as a pitcher.

There is not much question that Prior isn't the pitcher he was because of his mechanics, however the fact that Baker abused him so much likely led to some of the increased chances of injury for him. He isn't solely responsible of course, but he certainly didn't help keep Prior healthy.

Red Heeler
05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
There is not much question that Prior isn't the pitcher he was because of his mechanics, however the fact that Baker abused him so much likely led to some of the increased chances of injury for him. He isn't solely responsible of course, but he certainly didn't help keep Prior healthy.

Maybe Dusty figured that Prior was short-dated anyway, so might as well use the heck out of him in the time he's got?

savafan
05-17-2008, 07:31 PM
You know, with some pitchers we may never really know why they break down or flame out so young. Dusty's potential overuse of Prior has been well stated, but we know nothing to very little about how he was used as a pitcher as a kid growing up. Every time I hear Doc K talk about the kids he's operated on and being smart concerning pitch counts with youngsters, I think of guys like Prior.

Sea Ray
05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe Dusty figured that Prior was short-dated anyway, so might as well use the heck out of him in the time he's got?

I agree. In hindsite it looks like Dusty did the right thing going all out that year because as it turns out that was to be the Cubs and Prior's best chance for a championship.

Always Red
05-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Funny.

I have read all over the place that Prior had almost perfect mechanics.

Whether it is Dusty's fault or not is not for me to decide. I would say it is not his fault.

Some men just are not meant to be pitchers; some arms and shoulders and elbows just are not up to the task. Someday there will be technology to weed out those who can pitch from those who are not made for throwing.

RedsManRick
05-18-2008, 12:53 AM
Does anybody smell that burning?

Nevermind, it's just some toast.