PDA

View Full Version : Dolly Parton vs. Howard Stern :lol:

WMR
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
http://news.aol.com/entertainment/music/music-news-story/ar/_a/parton-shocked-at-raunchy-stern-bit/20080515075009990001

westofyou
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Dolly has class.. Howard's an ....

Unassisted
05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
"They have done editing or some sort of trickery to make this horrible, horrible thing."

Although I once met Dolly Parton and generally respect her, this soundbite is classic.

Dolly, honey, maybe there's a song to be made from this story.

Well he took my words
and twisted them into
some kind of horrible thing.
For the longest time
I couldn't figure out why
this man they call the King.
Then one day, it came to me,
It was like an epiphany.
I figured out they had employed
some sort of trickery.

goreds2
05-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Dolly has class.. Howard's an ....

You go Dolly!

Falls City Beer
05-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I can't help but think Dolly's publicist is *extremely* excited by the free publicity his/her client is receiving from this stunt.

GAC
05-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I can't help but think Dolly's publicist is *extremely* excited by the free publicity his/her client is receiving from this stunt.

I doubt it. It's not like she needs the publicity. Especially that kind, where a scumbag purposely edits audio book recordings to portray them saying sexually explicit and racist remarks, and then says it's parody.

There is no such thing as bad taste when it comes to Sterns. Which is why he went to Sirius in the first place.

Red in Chicago
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I doubt it. It's not like she needs the publicity. Especially that kind, where a scumbag purposely edits audio book recordings to portray them saying sexually explicit and racist remarks, and then says it's parody.

There is no such thing as bad taste when it comes to Sterns. Which is why he went to Sirius in the first place.

are you sure she doesn't need the publicity? honestly, did anyone even realize she was still alive until her recent american idle appearance?

WMR
05-18-2008, 10:56 AM
are you sure she doesn't need the publicity? honestly, did anyone even realize she was still alive until her recent american idle appearance?

Did you say American "Idle" on purpose?

If so, virtual rep headed your way. ROFL

I think Dolly needs all the publicity she can get. This is probably the most pub she's gotten in 20 years.

Yachtzee
05-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Did you say American "Idle" on purpose?

If so, virtual rep headed your way. ROFL

I think Dolly needs all the publicity she can get. This is probably the most pub she's gotten in 20 years.

I don't know, but from what I gather, she's rolling in the dough. She does have her own amusement park.

I think she was either truly offended or is just trying to protect her wholesome image. It was just a goof and I think in the past the best policy would have been just to ignore it, let people have their laugh and let it go. However, with Youtube and the internet lifespan of things, I suspect she's probably taking the Disney approach. Disney goes after anything that portrays its Disney characters in a bad light. They have a huge business marketing to kids, so anything that uses their properties in an adult manner is a big no-no (in contrast to Sanrio, which will market Hello Kitty on ANYTHING). On the other hand, Dolly seems a lot like my grandparents. They don't mind a little ribald humor when the naughtiness is implied or hinted at, but they would definitely get upset at anything vulgar, which always made it tough at get-togethers where my other grandparents were around. I had one grandfather who was a Kentucky gentleman and another who was a Cincinnati German Catholic with a love of beer, wine and off-color humor. Oil and Water for sure.

nate
05-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Yes.

To both questions.

goreds2
05-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Dolly still looks good for being 62 years old.

Falls City Beer
05-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't know, but from what I gather, she's rolling in the dough. She does have her own amusement park.

Have you, in your entire life, witnessed someone who has spent her life garnering millions turn down more when more was available? There's no question that Dolly wants to frame an image of herself as a wholesome classy southern sweetheart, but there is literally no one on this planet who has as much dough as Dolly Parton who hasn't at some point along the way done some seriously selfish stuff. Dolly may not "need" the publicity in the sense that she's not going to starve if she doesn't get it, but people in an industry where attention is all that matters will NEVER turn down a spotlight. NEVER.

If she really didn't want the attention, she'd have ignored Stern's stunt. No one's going to believe Dolly really said stuff like that.

WMR
05-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Have you, in your entire life, witnessed someone who has spent her life garnering millions turn down more when more was available? There's no question that Dolly wants to frame an image of herself as a wholesome classy southern sweetheart, but there is literally no one on this planet who has as much dough as Dolly Parton who hasn't at some point along the way done some seriously selfish stuff. Dolly may not "need" the publicity in the sense that she's not going to starve if she doesn't get it, but people in an industry where attention is all that matters will NEVER turn down a spotlight. NEVER.

If she really didn't want the attention, she'd have ignored Stern's stunt. No one's going to believe Dolly really said stuff like that.

Exactly. Nice post. Stern said in the actual clip, btw, "You try putting this stuff together" in response to a quip by his sidekick Robin. Couldn't be a clearer case of parody.

GAC
05-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Have you, in your entire life, witnessed someone who has spent her life garnering millions turn down more when more was available? There's no question that Dolly wants to frame an image of herself as a wholesome classy southern sweetheart, but there is literally no one on this planet who has as much dough as Dolly Parton who hasn't at some point along the way done some seriously selfish stuff.

Until you can prove so...and it's hard to do so when one throws out such a generality....that still does not give justification to what Sterns did. Even if it's done to support his (or his audience's) sick and depraved sense of humor.

Dolly may not "need" the publicity in the sense that she's not going to starve if she doesn't get it, but people in an industry where attention is all that matters will NEVER turn down a spotlight. NEVER.

They don't crave or ask for that type of attention. Especially being portayed as saying racist remarks. I find that simply classless.

In this country? Yeah, depending on how the clip is framed and presented, and if people aren't that familiar with Stern's tactics and antics (not everyone listens to him), I can easily see people thinking Dolly said these things.

We see it happening daily where "sound bites", pieces of interviews, and even pics, of high profile people (and situations) are purposely edited and patched together to present an altogether different image.

People can be pretty naive.

And that's about as far as I'm going to take it without making it political. ;)

Red in Chicago
05-18-2008, 05:22 PM
i think it's fair to say that both have made the most of their careers based on their large (dolly) and small (stern) anatomy...not sure how one is more "wholesome" than the other:p:

WMR
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahah

rofl

that's gold, RiC

Jpup
05-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Howard Stern, about as unfunny as it gets. :confused:

WMR
05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
"That's just like..... your opinion....man...."

Jpup
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
"That's just like..... your opinion....man...."

yeah, I know. I just don't get the appeal of Stern. O & A, sure, but Stern just seems lame to me.

WMR
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Sorry, that was a quote from The Big Lebowski. ;)

Yachtzee
05-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Exactly. Nice post. Stern said in the actual clip, btw, "You try putting this stuff together" in response to a quip by his sidekick Robin. Couldn't be a clearer case of parody.

Didn't say she would have a strong case in a lawsuit, but if we've come to the point where old ladies can't be offended by schwanz jokes, then the terrorists have won. ;)

TeamCasey
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM

She's 62, currently on a U.S. and international tour to sold out audiences. I think she's doing O.K..

EddieMilner
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I listened to it last week, and it was hilarious. I am not a through and through Howard supporter, but I listen to him a fair bit. He is constantly cutting up sound bites from things of this nature and making them into asinine statements, and it makes me laugh every single time. Howard is definitely one of my guilty pleasures that most people are absolutely stunned when I state I'm a fan. And each time I have someone listen to the show with me on a car ride, they come to the conclusion that the show is comedy genius and more than just lesbians, strippers, mentally challenged, and racism. He created so many things that are common place on networks today (reality TV, game shows, about every single Tonight Show bit that has ever been used, etc). While I can understand that some people won't enjoy the show for its content, I have an awful time with people that blindly feel that everything that comes from the show is worthless. His content can be questionable, his creativity is unreal and why he is as successful as he is.

EddieMilner
05-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Dolly still looks good for being 62 years old.

I saw her on an awards show about a year ago and she looked like a muppet. She absolutely scared the crap out of me. Her body was so top heavy (from her head as well - that think is huge) that I thought she would surely topple over.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
She's 62, currently on a U.S. and international tour to sold out audiences. I think she's doing O.K..

So did guys like Wayne Newton. But no one in the entertainment business is going to turn down exactly what we're doing here in this thread: talking about the performer. It's still national, fairly-widespread press, which is something she's not really getting that much of these days.

minus5
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM

I'd say quite a few people knew she was still around. Here's what Wiki has for her over the last 10 years or so:

Taken from the album Trio II, a cover of "After the Gold Rush" won a Grammy for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals in 1999, and Parton was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame later that year. [20]

She recorded a series of critically acclaimed bluegrass albums, beginning with "The Grass is Blue" (1999) and "Little Sparrow" (2001), both of which won Grammy Awards. Her 2002 album "Halos & Horns" included a bluegrass version of the Led Zeppelin classic Stairway to Heaven. In 2005, Parton released Those Were The Days, her interpretation of hits from the folk-rock era of the late 1960s through early 1970s. The CD featured such classics as John Lennon's "Imagine," Cat Stevens' "Where Do The Children Play," Tommy James' "Crimson & Clover," and Pete Seeger's folk classic "Where Have All The Flowers Gone."

In 2006, she earned her second Oscar nomination for "Travelin' Thru," which she wrote specifically for the film Transamerica. Due to the song's nature of accepting a transgender woman without judgement, Dolly received numerous death threats as a direct result. She also returned to No. 1 on the country charts later that year by lending her distinctive harmonies to the Brad Paisley ballad, "When I Get Where I'm Going." [21] In September 2007, Parton released her first single off her own record company, Dolly Records titled, "Better Get to Livin'", which eventually peaked at No. 48 on the Hot Country Songs chart. Her latest album, Backwoods Barbie was released February 26, 2008 and reached #2 on the country charts. The album's debut at No. 17 on the all-genre Billboard 200 albums chart was the highest in her career.

So a couple of Grammys and an Oscar nomination= still doing OK.;)

WMR
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Neither of those Grammys or the Oscar nomination got her the widespread press this "issue" has.

WMR
05-19-2008, 04:15 PM
BTW: William Shatner and Bill Clinton have also had this same treatment done to books that they have written and later committed to book on tape. I'd hazard a guess that no one who doesn't listen to Stern has/had the slightest clue of those two books being parodied as well. Same way no one besides Stern listeners would have known about Dolly's book being parodied if she hadn't raised this huge, convenient, stink.

nate
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
BTW: William Shatner and Bill Clinton have also had this same treatment done to books that they have written and later committed to book on tape. I'd hazard a guess that no one who doesn't listen to Stern has/had the slightest clue of those two books being parodied as well. Same way no one besides Stern listeners would have known about Dolly's book being parodied if she hadn't raised this huge, convenient, stink.

Actually, I hadn't heard about it until you posted it here.

WMR
05-19-2008, 04:25 PM

It has been on every major media news site. From CNN to Drudge to TMZ. Dolly has good publicists.

minus5
05-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Me either. I forgot Stern is even still on the air. That's how relevant he is to me.

nate
05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
It has been on every major media news site. From CNN to Drudge to TMZ. Dolly has good publicists.

Great! I still hadn't heard about it until you posted it here.

Further, if your point is that Dolly is just loving all this free publicity, I'd have to disagree.

WMR
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Great! I still hadn't heard about it until you posted it here.

Further, if your point is that Dolly is just loving all this free publicity, I'd have to disagree.

No offense, but if you hadn't heard about it, that says more about your media awareness than it does the publicity that this situation has garnered Dolly and her impending book.

IslandRed
05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
So Dolly's the one that deserves scorn.

Oooooookay.

westofyou
05-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Oooooookay.

Yep... poor Howard, poor, poor, talentless Mr. Stern.

EddieMilner
05-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Yep... poor Howard, poor, poor, talentless Mr. Stern.

Have you ever listened to his radio show? If so, did you listen to it more than once? How long?

westofyou
05-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Have you ever listened to his radio show? If so, did you listen to it more than once? How long?

Yes

Yes

Years

Do you know all the words to Jolene?

WMR
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Oooooookay.

Who's assessing scorn? Certainly not me. Just sayin', Dolly making a mountain out of a molehill is what got this "story" national publicity. It has been done several times before, with virtually no one outside the "Stern World" knowing anything about it.

EddieMilner
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Yes

Yes

Years

Do you know all the words to Jolene?

I was asking honest questions, thanks for elaborating on them. And it was extra awesome of you to do that with out adding any snarkiness. I do not know the words to Jolene, however I have no problem with Dolly Parton.

So since you listened for so long, were you once a fan that was later turned off by Howard's lack of taste? I would appreciate a little elaboration on the reasons you are so familiar with someone you have such little respect for.

nate
05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
No offense, but if you hadn't heard about it, that says more about your media awareness than it does the publicity that this situation has garnered Dolly and her impending book.

Gee, why would anyone take offense at that? :rolleyes:

Quite honestly, that the goings on of what takes place on the Howard Stern show are trapped in the deepest confines of my "what's important in the news today" filter, tickles me to no end.

EddieMilner
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Quite honestly, that the goings on of what takes place on the Howard Stern show are trapped in the deepest confines of my "what's important in the news today" filter, tickles me to no end.

Then why are you spending time on an internet message board arguing about it?

WMR
05-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Well you clearly have more than a passing interest in Dolly Parton...

westofyou
05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
So since you listened for so long, were you once a fan that was later turned off by Howard's lack of taste? I would appreciate a little elaboration on the reasons you are so familiar with someone you have such little respect for.

I just changed, I got older and I found it to be more crass than a gas.

I also got tired of no music in the morning, I left looking for music, that was something like 10-12 years ago

nate
05-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Then why are you spending time on an internet message board arguing about it?

Because I am interested in Dolly Parton.

nate
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Well you clearly have more than a passing interest in Dolly Parton...

And...?

WMR
05-19-2008, 07:15 PM
And...?

Makes your lack of awareness about Howard Stern not really relevant at all in this discussion. You clearly care about Dolly Parton, and she's as much a part of this extremely popular story as is Howard Stern.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Look I own most of Dolly's 60s and 70s output--she's an outstanding singer and performer. I haven't listened to Stern in ages. I'm fairly indifferent to his schtick.

But I know a cashcow when I smell one; and so does Dolly's publicist.

GAC
05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Who's assessing scorn? Certainly not me. Just sayin', Dolly making a mountain out of a molehill is what got this "story" national publicity. It has been done several times before, with virtually no one outside the "Stern World" knowing anything about it.

I don't see where it has gotten much national attention. And to the best of my knowledge, she came out and made one public statement voicing her disgust about it. That's making a mountain out of a mole hill?

I'm like woy..... I haven't listened to this guy for many, many years. I've probably, late at night, had his show on for about 5-10 minutes before I'd turn it off. The guy has some problems IMO. The only reason he went to Sirius was to escape the censors (and fines), and where there are no lines when it comes to decency and taste.

Last year I watched him on Letterman, after the Imus situation, state that Imus has always been a racist. I guess people have never heard some of Howard's "bits" on the Negro College Fund, various black entertainers, and "Guess My Color?"

Yet because it's wrapped up in parody it's acceptable and falls under the classification of humor.

TeamCasey
05-22-2008, 09:12 AM

Oooooookay.

No kidding! Jeez...