PDA

View Full Version : 1st sweep of Indians since interleague play began... Great homestand... Looking West

WMR
05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Our turn to kick the ass of the Indians for a change! :D

Awesome home stand all around. :beerme:

Now comes the historically dreaded west coast swing... let's keep this momentum going versus the Dodgers!

M2
05-18-2008, 05:32 PM
It's amazing what can happen when a team gets a run of solid performances from the starting pitchers. Arroyo coming around has made a huge difference. The exciting thing about this Reds team is that it should have more runs like this than any Reds rotation we've seen in a long time.

Seven games in L.A. and San Diego should feed into that starting pitching run too.

membengal
05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Word on Arroyo. That has been a huge missing piece. Add him in with Volquez and Harang and it is a very effective front of the staff. It also takes a lot of pressure off Cueto and lets the team roll a little more with his expected ups and downs.

I would feel 100% happy about the situation if Belisle could find some effectiveness Tuesday night.

But, yeah, amazing what a little pitching can do.

SirFelixCat
05-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh what a difference a week can make. I'm heading out to LA for the week and will be catching all 3 Reds/Dodgers games...pretty stoked about that prospect :thumbup:

guttle11
05-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't want to look west. Can we have the Dodgers and Padres meet us on a neutral site?

MrCinatit
05-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I have loathed west coast trips for decades for a couple of reasons - but mainly, because many ups have become downs after the west coast (see: classic collapse in '06).
But, hey, who knows - different leader, perhaps a different attitude. After all, Dusty did play there a bit.

Hoosier Red
05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I have loathed west coast trips for decades for a couple of reasons - but mainly, because many ups have become downs after the west coast (see: classic collapse in '06).
But, hey, who knows - different leader, perhaps a different attitude. After all, Dusty did play there a bit.

Did he? That's funny, I really hadn't heard much about Dusty's playing career. In fact I've heard hundreds of interviews with him and I didn't really know he even played in the Majors.

VR
05-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Tied for 4th, btw. A juggernaut that must be feared.

Jpup
05-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Everyone keeps talking about the pitching, but Adam Dunn beginning to turn things around is really driving this team as well. He's catching fire and hopefully a long contract will follow.

cincyinco
05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Couldn't agree more Jpup! Hopefully griffey's bat can follow suit and get hot for a month or two.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Hopefully Castelini doesn't write letters to the team telling them how proud he is of them and how they will kick butt on the west coast trip.

Always Red
05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Did he? That's funny, I really hadn't heard much about Dusty's playing career. In fact I've heard hundreds of interviews with him and I didn't really know he even played in the Majors.

...or that he played with Henry Aaron. :D

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Everyone keeps talking about the pitching, but Adam Dunn beginning to turn things around is really driving this team as well. He's catching fire and hopefully a long contract will follow.

Dunn's hitting couldn't have come around at a better time, coinciding with the loss of Jeff Keppinger.

coachw513
05-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Look at the starting pitching since May 1st...

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/StartingInfo.py?StartDate=05%2F01%2F2008&EndDate=05%2F17%2F2008&GameType=all&PlayedVs=0&Park=0&PlayerID=18

Including today, if you throw out Arroyo's 1.1 inning stinker in ATL, in the other 14 games, starters have averaged 6.1 innings per start with 82 K's and only 35 BB's in 88 innings (8.4 k/9, 2.3 k/BB) with a sparkling 3.27 ERA...

The homestand was even better...6.5 IP, 2.53 ERA with 5 straight QS (only Harang's 7th inning run on Monday kept the week from being perfect in that regard)...

RedFanAlways1966
05-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Last year's series against Cleveland at GABP was close to a sweep for the REDS... if not for Gary Majewski. REDS up 6-to-4 as they enter the 8th inning. Majewski serves up a 2R homer to David Dellucci to tie the game. REDS lose in 11 innings. That dreaded 8th inning last year!

The other two games in that series were REDS wins. They were also the first ML win for two pitchers not on the current roster... Homer Bailey and Marcus McBeth.

Caveat Emperor
05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Fun Adam Dunn Fact:

35 K
31 BB

membengal
05-19-2008, 12:38 AM
You know what I did tonight?

Made sure I caught Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter. Just to hear favorable Reds highlights.

It was nice to hear, for a change.

WebScorpion
05-19-2008, 03:42 AM

You're kidding right? He mentions batting behind Hank Aaron about every other day...not the batting, the mentioning. :rolleyes:

Screwball
05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
You're kidding right? He mentions batting behind Hank Aaron about every other day...not the batting, the mentioning. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing Hoosier was being just a tad sarcastic. :)

M2
05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
You know what I did tonight?

Made sure I caught Baseball Tonight and SportsCenter. Just to hear favorable Reds highlights.

It was nice to hear, for a change.

I did the exact same thing. They got a nice segment on BT too.

membengal
05-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Berman:

"I guess its time we start paying attention to this Volquez."

Um, ya think so?

WMR
05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Berman:

"I guess its time we start paying attention to this Volquez."

Um, ya think so?

Stick a donut in his back pocket and I bet Berman will catch a Harold Reynolds lawsuit.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Speaking enfants terrible, the Rays' soft underbelly got exposed over the weekend: the bullpen. If they don't shore that up, all that hot defense will be for nil.

REDREAD
05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
It's amazing what can happen when a team gets a run of solid performances from the starting pitchers. Arroyo coming around has made a huge difference. The exciting thing about this Reds team is that it should have more runs like this than any Reds rotation we've seen in a long time.

I'd also like to add that Dunn played a huge part in this series as well. Good to see him hitting. The bullpen seemed up to the task as well (although I am going on spotty memory).

I agree the starting pitching was excellent, but I think sometimes the rest of the team is sold a bit short when the credit is given out for wins. Everything came together in the Cleveland series.

smith288
05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
lol

smith288
05-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Stick a donut in his back pocket and I bet Berman will catch a Harold Reynolds lawsuit.
I dont care who y'are, that's funny...

AmarilloRed
05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Even with the great home stand, we did not gain much ground on the Cubs. The Cubs are 27-17 and we are 7 games back. The Cardinals and Astros are doing just a little worse. We will have to continue to play like this to have a winning season or even (dare I say it) a chance at postseason play.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Even with the great home stand, we did not gain much ground on the Cubs. The Cubs are 27-17 and we are 7 games back. The Cardinals and Astros are doing just a little worse. We will have to continue to play like this to have a winning season or even (dare I say it) a chance at postseason play.

I'm thinking the Cubs are for real and the best bet is to battle Philly, LA, and Atlanta for the WC. Florida, Houston, and St. Louis will fall back to earth. NYM, Cubs, and Arizona win their divisions.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM

It's a pretty huge hole they've dug for themselves. Climbing over four or five teams is a lot tougher than just one or two as well.

Jpup
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking the Cubs are for real and the best bet is to battle Philly, LA, and Atlanta for the WC. Florida, Houston, and St. Louis will fall back to earth. NYM, Cubs, and Arizona win their divisions.

It's the Cubs. Don't bet against them falling apart.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Cards have been playing awful lately and look to be falling back to earth. The Astros have a nice offense but their starting pitching is awful. Oswalt is struggling with a 5.43 ERA, and the other four starts are Brandon Backe, Shawn Chacon, Chris Sampson, and Brian Moehler until Wandy Rodriguez returns. With a pitching staff like that I don't see them winning more than 75 games.

AmarilloRed
05-19-2008, 03:03 PM
2008 NL Wild Card Standings:

St.Louis 26-20
Houston 25-20
NY Mets 22-19
Philadelphia 24-21
LA Dodgers 22-21
Atlanta 22-21
Pittsburgh 22-23
Cincinnati 22-23 4 GB

4 GB is a lot better than 7 GB. We have a lot of teams to leapfrog, but it is certainly possible for us to win the wild card. A good West Coast swing will do a lot to help us in both the Wild Card race and our position in the NL Central.

RBA
05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Big hole? It's still May on my calendar. Plenty of baseball left.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Big hole? It's still May on my calendar. Plenty of baseball left.

Unfortunately it is a big hole, May or not. Especially when you are not only asking for your team to play a lot better but for 4 or 5 teams in front of you to play a little or a lot worse.

Still, though, they could make hay, but the margin for error is pretty slim, believe it or not.

M2
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Unfortunately it is a big hole, May or not. Especially when you are not only asking for your team to play a lot better but for 4 or 5 teams in front of you to play a little or a lot worse.

Still, though, they could make hay, but the margin for error is pretty slim, believe it or not.

A team can't worry about the horse race in mid May, it's just got to play the game it's got right in front it.

If it only can manage 86 wins, but needed 93 to make the playoffs, so be it. Yet right now the focus needs to be on putting together as many wins as possible by July 1. At that point the management can survey the competitive landscape.

I don't know what the eventual margin for error will be, though I definitely agree the Reds can't afford another trip down the rabbit hole. That will bring a functional end to this season. Technically the team needs to be at 25-20 after tonight's game to be on a 90-win pace, which means it will need to make up those three or four games along the way. That isn't easy to do, seeing that it needs to be playing .555 ball in the first place, but the math is still workable.

Falls City Beer
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
A team can't worry about the horse race in mid May, it's just got to play the game it's got right in front it.

If it only can manage 86 wins, but needed 93 to make the playoffs, so be it. Yet right now the focus needs to be on putting together as many wins as possible by July 1. At that point the management can survey the competitive landscape.

I don't know what the eventual margin for error will be, though I definitely agree the Reds can't afford another trip down the rabbit hole. That will bring a functional end to this season. Technically the team needs to be at 25-20 after tonight's game to be on a 90-win pace, which means it will need to make up those three or four games along the way. That isn't easy to do, seeing that it needs to be playing .555 ball in the first place, but the math is still workable.

Of course you can't throw in the towel. And yes, you need them firing on as many cylinders as they can in order to gauge them.

But as a fan with a heart in the race, a little sobriety about the chances can't hurt. The Reds are going to have to put a huge hurting on their division and play .750 ball against the Cubs.

M2
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Of course you can't throw in the towel. And yes, you need them firing on as many cylinders as they can in order to gauge them.

But as a fan with a heart in the race, a little sobriety about the chances can't hurt. The Reds are going to have to put a huge hurting on their division and play .750 ball against the Cubs.

Pretty much, though I've got to tell you, I really like rooting for the team not reliant upon Ryan Dempster in that fight.