PDA

View Full Version : Did Castellini Overreact?

Carolina Red
05-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I know we are still 3 games below .500 and still at least 6 games out of first place but the team is starting to play up to peoples expectations before the season started. I wonder if any of you now think Castellini overeacted to the slow start by firing Krivsky? Do you think he now regrets the change? Maybe he should stick to selling lettuce, something he understands.

OSUredsFAN
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll have to say no. It was going to happen, it was just a matter of time. Its better to bring in WJ now instead of the upcoming off season. Now he can prepare for the draft and any trades they decide to make.

He got it!
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Is this a trick question?
I think everyone thought he overreacted when we were 8 games under .500. Now, well...it's just more obviuos that he just needed to have a little patience.

ChatterRed
05-18-2008, 05:17 PM
It's the same team.

I'm in the minority when I say Castellini is an impatient tool and Walt Jocketty is overrated.

gedred69
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
It's the same team.

I'm in the minority when I say Castellini is an impatient tool and Walt Jocketty is overrated.

Agree. I also think WK was under-evaluated.

ChatterRed
05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Jocketty will make some moves and everyone will go ga-ga over him doing it.........but they will be moves that Wayne was already trying to do himself........such as unload Griffey and Dunn.

Kriv's made some mistakes, no more than most GM's.........but he valued and remained patient with the organizations best prospects, upgraded the pitching staff through patience in the farm system and a couple of key trades, signed Cordero, was patient with EE, traded for Phillips, found Keppinger, drafted Bruce, traded for Volquez, was patient in developing Cueto.........all while saddled with Griffey's contract and many other bad contracts. Krivsky understood small market economics.

What will make me laugh is that Castellini, because he likes Jocketty, will probably open up his pocket book more for Walt than he ever would have Wayne. Just my opinion.

BucksandReds
05-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I thought O'brien drafted Bruce.

GoReds33
05-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes he did. IMO, he signed Krivsky to a contract, and he should have let Krivsky finish it out. The first few weeks of this season isn't a big enough time-span to measure his progress.

Orodle
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't think it was so much of firing Krivsky but more wanting Jocketty.

Jr's Boy
05-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Dano did draft him.And about being saddled with those bad contracts,Krivsky was the one who signed them.Thats being said,he should have been able to keep the job.

Krawhitham
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Dunn has to be traded after June 15th (end of his no trade clause) because he will sign else where during the offseason. Maybe he wanted someone that would not get his ass handed to him in a trade

killuminati35
05-18-2008, 08:18 PM
My gut instinct was that it was an over-reaction, but then I realized this was going to happen eventually. This was going to be Jocketty's job from the day he signed as an adviser, so better sooner than later, IMO.

durl
05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Yep. Overreacted. No changes and the team has swept 2 division leaders in a week. This team, as constructed at the beginning of the season, can compete. Krivsky deserved to finish out his contract.

As Orodole said, Castellini wanted Jocketty regardless of how Krivsky did. Personally, I hope this increases Krivsky's value to other teams and he finds another GM position.

ChatterRed
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Dano did draft him.And about being saddled with those bad contracts,Krivsky was the one who signed them.Thats being said,he should have been able to keep the job.

Hilarious. Stanton and a few other cheap contracts didn't hurt this team and were no worse than what alot of other GM's do. Heck, Pittsburgh let a starting pitcher go they owe $10 million, and Toronto let the Big Hurt go who they owed like $11 million. A little $2 or $3 million dollar contract is not in the realm of Griffey's $10 or $15 mill he's making or Milton's $10+...........in comparison to other teams, Krivsky "supposed" "bad" contracts weren't that bad. Being on the hook for a veteran HOF's contract who can't hit a fastball anymore is a big part of the problem.

And remember Larue's contract?

killuminati35
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Yep. Overreacted. No changes and the team has swept 2 division leaders in a week. This team, as constructed at the beginning of the season, can compete. Krivsky deserved to finish out his contract.

As Orodole said, Castellini wanted Jocketty regardless of how Krivsky did. Personally, I hope this increases Krivsky's value to other teams and he finds another GM position.

It's been a great six games, but I wouldn't go as far as claiming they can compete. If history is any guide, this West Coast trip could be the end of this season (again?). Even if they play well out west, there are lots of holes on this club.

Carolina Red
05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
I still think this was a work in progress for Krivsky. I think he had a plan of what he wanted to do with this team down the road and it's a shame that we won't get to see that come to fruition. The sad thing is like ChatterRed said, Jocketty will make a couple of moves and then if the team continues to win he'll get all the credit. Jocketty is a snake in the grass, he knew what he was doing when he took the "advisors" job all along. Some other team is going to get a heck of a good GM when they hire Krivsky.

E. Davis 44
05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
how can you call him a snake in the grass. If I was offered a job as an advisor for millions of dollars I would take it. If the guy who is paying me wants to give me control of his team let alone a promotion I would take it. So would you. So I think we should lay off calling him names. He got offered a promotion and took it. I do agree that Krivsky should have gotten to go further, but one way or another Jocketty was taking over so I guess it is better to do it now than have a lame duck GM all season long.

Hondo
05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I still think this was a work in progress for Krivsky. I think he had a plan of what he wanted to do with this team down the road and it's a shame that we won't get to see that come to fruition. The sad thing is like ChatterRed said, Jocketty will make a couple of moves and then if the team continues to win he'll get all the credit. Jocketty is a snake in the grass, he knew what he was doing when he took the "advisors" job all along. Some other team is going to get a heck of a good GM when they hire Krivsky.

I don't think Jocketty is a quote "snake in the grass", Bob was in St. Louis before and I think he probably had more to do with the Firing of Wk than Jocketty... It's not what you know, it's who you know...

Oh, the Sub .500 record going early in the season was the Excuse Bob needed to axe WK and move his Long time Business assocaite, Jocketty, IN.

Carolina Red
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
how can you call him a snake in the grass

I think Jocketty came here knowing full well that he could and would force Krivsky out as GM. All that garbage he talked about not wanting to be a GM again....then it took him all of 3 seconds to accept the position after Castellini made it available. If that's not a snake in the grass then I don't know what is. If Castellini wanted Jocketty all along he should have asked St. Louis permission to talk to him when he took over as the Reds owner.

ThirdBaseCoach
05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
It's the same team.

I am with you in that minority, CRed.

Kingspoint
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
It's the same team.

I think you're in the majority, not the minority.

redsfanmia
05-23-2008, 06:25 PM
I think the team or atleast the farm system would be better off had DanO not been fired.

Hondo
05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
I think the team or atleast the farm system would be better off had DanO not been fired.

What? Dan O'Brien? That was a Mistake.

redsfanmia
05-23-2008, 06:41 PM
What? Dan O'Brien? That was a Mistake.

Really? Who drafted Bruce, Bailey and signed Cueto?

Hondo
05-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Really? Who drafted Bruce, Bailey and signed Cueto?

Um, the scouting department had something to do with those 3. What did he do with the Major League Roster?

redsfanmia
05-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Um, the scouting department had something to do with those 3. What did he do with the Major League Roster?

The same scouting department that drafted the other losers in the first few rounds in the years before he came? DanO's plan was to improve the farm system and then go young, my that plan sounds pretty good about now.

Red in Atl
05-23-2008, 07:51 PM
It's the same team.

I kind of have to agree until we are proven wrong. I always felt like Jocketty got lucky and good support staff in Duncan and Larussa. But I love the Reds more, so I have to hope that the right things are being done.

How many summers of mine can be ruined by a baseball team?

I do think we are headed in the right direction....

ChatterRed
05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I also think Castellini will give Jocketty far more leeway and more money to operate with. Also, alot of dead weight in contracts comes available next year to spend. I hear like $34 million or so gets freed up. If Castellini let's Jocketty spend that $34 million and another $10 or $20 million..........I don't think he would have allowed WK to do that.

Revering4Blue
05-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Did Castellini Overreact?

No doubt.

Is Castellini an impatient tool?

Yep.

Did Krivsky significantly increase the overall talent base?

He sure did.

Does Dan O'Brien deserve some credit.

Yes.

Was Dan O'Brien in over his head?

Again, yes.

Is this franchise better off with Castellini/Jocketty rather than Lindner/Allen/O'brien?

Infinitely.

Is this franchise better off with Jocketty rather than
Krivsky?

Doubtful.

Kingspoint
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
The same scouting department that drafted the other losers in the first few rounds in the years before he came? DanO's plan was to improve the farm system and then go young, my that plan sounds pretty good about now.

It is a given that Dan O'Brien and Krivsky together turned the entire organization around from one of the worst to one of the best. It's going to be fun reaping the rewards from both of them for the next 5 years.

ChatterRed
05-24-2008, 02:53 AM
If I'm a losing organization looking to change things up in management, I might take a look at hiring both O'Brien and Krivsky, with the realization of having to be patient.

Kingspoint
05-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Did Castellini Overreact?

No doubt.

Is Castellini an impatient tool?

Yep.

Did Krivsky significantly increase the overall talent base?

He sure did.

Does Dan O'Brien deserve some credit.

Yes.

Was Dan O'Brien in over his head?

Again, yes.

Is this franchise better off with Castellini/Jocketty rather than Lindner/Allen/O'brien?

Infinitely.

Is this franchise better off with Jocketty rather than
Krivsky?

Doubtful.

Couldn't be more accurate.