PDA

View Full Version : This Doc Rogers guy is terrible (700 WLW Extra Innings)

Blitz Dorsey
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Might be one of the worst in WLW post-game history, which is saying a lot.

I like Paul Dougherty in the role, Furman was terrible, Tracy Jones was hit and miss (some good nights/entertaining, some bad/boring), Collinsworth even did baseball back in the day and was very, very good. He would just open up the phone lines and let the callers say what they wanted to say. And he actually knew baseball pretty well. Collinsworth was great as the Sports Talk/Extra Innings host.

But ladies and gentlemen, drumroll please... we have a new worst of all time and his name is Doc Rogers. The guy is the definition of boring and he can't stop talking about his boring self. Never heard a former minor leaguer/assistant to the traveling secretary talk about himself so much. He's worse than Chris Welsh in that respect. I never thought someone could be worse than Furman. Plus, he didn't know a thing about the Reds or teams around the league. Mispronounced more player names in one show than Dougherty (or anyone else really) does in a year. He even admitted on the air he didn't know the first thing about players in the Reds minor league system (the specific question was about Maloney and Roenicke). I guess he gets points for honesty there, but it's nice to know this is the best WLW can do when their top guy needs a weekend off. This guy was just a trainwreck. And when you thought it couldn't get any more boring, he started talking about himself again! Did anyone else subject themselves to this yuckery?

fearofpopvol1
05-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not a fan either.

What happened to Tracy? He used to always do EI after home games.

11larkin11
05-18-2008, 08:20 PM
I caught the end of it, where he started a story, then said I'll finish it when I return in two weeks...

Always Red
05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
What happened to Tracy? He used to always do EI after home games.

He has a regular gig on WLW in the afternoon now along with Eddie Fingers. They moved into Burbanks old spot.

fearofpopvol1
05-18-2008, 08:22 PM
He has a regular gig on WLW in the afternoon now along with Eddie Fingers. They moved into Burbanks old spot.

I had heard about that, but I didn't realize he stopped doing EI altogether.

OnBaseMachine
05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
He's not great but he's a lot better than Tracy Jones, which is not saying much.

Ron Madden
05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
He's not great but he's a lot better than Tracy Jones, which is saying much.

Agreed. At least Doc Rogers talks about the Reds.

KronoRed
05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Why is this show even still on? just put on a test signal for 2 hours.

BCubb2003
05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
The guy deserves some slack if he was partly responsible for the Reds getting Harang.

Joseph
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
He doesn't have a voice for radio.

I say put Matt700wlw on there as the guy, I'm not even kidding. He sounds smooth these days and we all know he loves the Reds.

MWM
05-18-2008, 11:52 PM
When's the last time WLW had anyone of any quality on the air for anything? Gary Burbank was funny over the years, but other than him, they've had nothing but nonsense on the air for years.

LoganBuck
05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Rogers voice has no inflection or tone. His stories stink, and he never dishes dirt. He will be back in two weeks, before the draft, I would like to hear a little inside scoop on the Gruler and Sowers picks.

LoganBuck
05-19-2008, 12:04 AM
He doesn't have a voice for radio.

I say put Matt700wlw on there as the guy, I'm not even kidding. He sounds smooth these days and we all know he loves the Reds.

Tracy and Eddie asking Matt about how he learned about sex on Friday was classic. Matt couldn't read the traffic fast enough.

REDREAD
05-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Agreed. At least Doc Rogers talks about the Reds.

That's my take to. Tracy would get bored and set up all these fake callers to stir the pot (or say something himself). That really got annoying.

I guess I don't expect a part time Extra Inning guy to know all the Reds' minor league players in depth. The guy is probably not a hardcore Reds fan and probably doesn't get paid a whole lot to do the show.

I don't find Doc Rodgers to be the most entertaining or charistmatic guy, but he talks about baseball, and I can tolerate him being on the air. He doesn't make me want to immediately turn off the radio..

Matt700wlw
05-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Tracy and Eddie asking Matt about how he learned about sex on Friday was classic. Matt couldn't read the traffic fast enough.

They keep me on my toes....with time, I will have a great comeback for Fingers one of these days. :)

Eddie's been messing with people for a long, long time. I'm not as quick witted as him yet....maybe someday I will be.

WVRedsFan
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Just curious...what happened to Burbank? Did he finally retire? I miss his show which was good entertainment driving home on Fridays.

As for Tracy...still has Richard calling and the other day it was him supporting a premium gas station (the website they gave for it doesn't exist)--same old stuff.

I also miss that Sky files guy Boshears? Whatever happened to him. He was nuts but I got a kick out of listening to him.

Rogers is not the guy for the job, but my guess is they've run out of people to do the show.

Chip R
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Rogers is not the guy for the job, but my guess is they've run out of people to do the show.

I only heard him once - it was his first show - and he wasn't good. I don't know if there are many people who want to give up their Sunday afternoons to do a show like that.

REDREAD
05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
As for Tracy...still has Richard calling and the other day it was him supporting a premium gas station (the website they gave for it doesn't exist)--same old stuff.

Yes, Jones is basically a Jerry Springer type. His show is horrible if you actually want to hear about baseball. I can't believe that people actually believe this Richard guy is a real person, and Tracy can't control if he gets on the air :rolleyes:

Even before "Richard", Tracy would get these obviously fake callers to call in to either fill in time or stir the pot. What a waste, especially considering there were people on hold that actually wanted to talk about baseball.

OldRightHander
05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't listen to the extra innings shows anymore, no matter who is hosting. I turn to XM 175 or turn over to a west coast game. The host is only half the show. If the people calling in are morons, I lost interest real fast. I know there are some intelligent fans in Cincinnati, but why is it that so few of them call in? It seems like all the callers are just Brennamen parrots, repeating whatever they've head Marty say recently. If I hear "one trick pony" and "Adam Dunn" in the same sentence one more time I will puke.

smith288
05-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Just curious...what happened to Burbank? Did he finally retire? I miss his show which was good entertainment driving home on Fridays.

I also miss that Sky files guy Boshears? Whatever happened to him. He was nuts but I got a kick out of listening to him.

Ugh...im from columbus so I typically listen to 1460, but I would flip to 700 every once in a while and that Burbank show made me dumber just listening. It was a flat out mess. There felt like there was 15 people with a mic and everyone would speak at the same time and couldn't distinguish who was talking.

George Anderson
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't listen to the extra innings shows anymore, no matter who is hosting. I turn to XM 175 or turn over to a west coast game. The host is only half the show. If the people calling in are morons, I lost interest real fast. I know there are some intelligent fans in Cincinnati, but why is it that so few of them call in? It seems like all the callers are just Brennamen parrots, repeating whatever they've head Marty say recently. If I hear "one trick pony" and "Adam Dunn" in the same sentence one more time I will puke.

That is the beauty of finding this site. Not being from Cincinnati and my only real contact with Reds fans was listening to WLW always gave me the impression that Reds fans for the most part were morons. Finding this site proved my earlier thought that most Reds fans were morons to be wrong.

TeamBoone
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
My comment has nothing to do with this particular subject matter, but is sort of related if you really stretch it.

Remember when the "media" (Tracy Jones?) would talk to one or two players after a weekend game in one of the local sports bars like Willie's or Game Day? It was a very popular segment as fans would head there after the game, and I know I was always tuned in on the radio. It was fun to listen to the players just being themselves.

Why don't they do that anymore? Anybody know?

VR
05-19-2008, 01:01 PM
My comment has nothing to do with this particular subject matter, but is sort of related if you really stretch it.

Remember when the "media" (Tracy Jones?) would talk to one or two players after a weekend game in one of the local sports bars like Willie's or Game Day? It was a very popular segment as fans would head there after the game, and I know I was always tuned in on the radio. It was fun to listen to the players just being themselves.

Too many female stalkers from RZ caused them to shut down the operation? ;)

Chip R
05-19-2008, 01:02 PM

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37622 :)

redsrule2500
05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I personally love tuning in to EI after a lot of games. I liked Furman too...better than Jones/Rogers IMO.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM

That is a great thread.

Caveat Emperor
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Doc Rogers makes me think I could do talk radio.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Did he play in the majors? I could swear I heard him mention pitching in the minors or majors at some point. I think someone called in and mentioned something about race and he said something along the lines of "you might think I'm a young white guy by listening to me, but I'm not white and I'm pretty old." That shocked me as I had pictured some nerdy white dude that had never played a sport.

I can't find anything on him at the baseballcube.com.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I found it.

Darrell "Doc" Rodgers

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Darrell-Rodgers.shtml

Looks like he peaked in 1988 (A-Cedar Rapids). Thebaseballcube screwed up his 1985 stats in A ball. 86 K's in 7 IP in 7 starts.

TeamBoone
05-19-2008, 11:18 PM

Great thread!

Speaking of Zombie (mentioned in the thread), where the heck is he? Haven't seen him here in months.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 01:31 AM
That's my take to. Tracy would get bored and set up all these fake callers to stir the pot (or say something himself). That really got annoying.

I guess I don't expect a part time Extra Inning guy to know all the Reds' minor league players in depth. The guy is probably not a hardcore Reds fan and probably doesn't get paid a whole lot to do the show.

I don't find Doc Rodgers to be the most entertaining or charistmatic guy, but he talks about baseball, and I can tolerate him being on the air. He doesn't make me want to immediately turn off the radio..

What is wrong with getting a "diehard" or at least someone who has a deep understanding for the game as a post-game host? The guy is beyond awful. Paul Dougherty apparently can't take a day off or the show goes to stink. When he's on there, the show is quite good. ... For all the people who say "At least Doc Rogers talks about baseball..." no he doesn't. Unless you count boring tales of when he was a minor league pitcher in Alaska and when HE had to ride a bus for 10 hours and when HE pitched in this game and when HE grew grass in his backyard and when HE breathed oxygen one day, etc.

And the fact that he's monotone just makes it even worse. You have a boring guy, who is not knowledgeable about the current Reds, and who loves to talk about himself. I don't care about his crappy playing career or the crappy front office he worked for under a crappy leather pants wearing incompetent GM.

KronoRed
05-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Speaking of Zombie (mentioned in the thread), where the heck is he? Haven't seen him here in months.

He's been seen now and then over at the peanut gallary.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Ugh...im from columbus so I typically listen to 1460, but I would flip to 700 every once in a while and that Burbank show made me dumber just listening. It was a flat out mess. There felt like there was 15 people with a mic and everyone would speak at the same time and couldn't distinguish who was talking.

You didn't listen to enough of Burbank's shows. He was excellent. WLW was fortunate to have him for so long. Most people like him would have tried to take their act national, but he was content being in Cincy/Dayton. He slipped in his later years like everyone, but the guy was flat-out great for years.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 01:46 AM

I understand your opinion, but I think the callers can be pretty good at times and raise issues that no one else brings up. You are right that you have to sift through the drunken redneck idiots that take 10 seconds to realize they're on the air/turn down their radio, and then their sister/wife starts yelling at them in the background and then they have nothing intelligent to say. However, there are always some good callers and the show is good when Daugherty is on (it's ironic that they are both nicknamed "Doc"). I can't imagine listening to a national show or listening to another game would be better than listening to a show with nothing but Reds talk. Extra innings is a solid hour or more of nothing but Reds talk and it can be entertaining (and boring at times too -- but at least they're not talking about the Royals-Athletics game or something).

And for the record, I also thought Doc Rogers was some middle-aged white guy when I was listening to him. But who cares. If he's black, he sucks. If he's white, he sucks. If he's green, he sucks. I'll tell you the rest of the story when I post again in two days. Haha. I'm so glad someone else also heard that clown say that. He seriously started telling some boring story, and then said "I'll continue it when I return in two weeks." WHAT??? And he didn't just run out of time, he said before he starting telling the story that he was going to tell part of it this time (which was Sunday) and would then tell the rest of it in two weeks. You can't make this stuff up. Like he was trying to keep the suspense going for his much-awaited return in 14 days.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Did he play in the majors? I could swear I heard him mention pitching in the minors or majors at some point. I think someone called in and mentioned something about race and he said something along the lines of "you might think I'm a young white guy by listening to me, but I'm not white and I'm pretty old." That shocked me as I had pictured some nerdy white dude that had never played a sport.

I can't find anything on him at the baseballcube.com.

You actually heard him reference his minor league playing career? No way. Was it one of the first 10 references or was in more like in the 11-100 range? Haha.

"This one time, I was getting rocked playing some high-A ball and the manager came out and took me out of the game. That's the end of the story. Now we've got to go to commercial. Reds won today, I think. Who is this Bruce Jay guy that everyone keeps talking about? Does he have a good curveball? Can he locate his fastball?"

Ron Madden
05-20-2008, 04:48 AM
I'd rather listen to anyone other than Tracy Jones, Alan Cutler or Andy Furman.

Anyone seeking any kind of baseball Knowledge from these three stooges gets exactly what they deserve.

BCubb2003
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Doc Rodgers reminds me of a regular guy placed in front of the microphone and sounding like what we'd sound like, instead of the bombastic personality we're used to hearing.

However, RedsZone has some radio talent of its own ...

Unassisted
05-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Doc Rodgers reminds me of a regular guy placed in front of the microphone and sounding like what we'd sound like, instead of the bombastic personality we're used to hearing.
I agree. He doesn't sound bad to me... just sounds like he could use more practice.

gonelong
06-02-2008, 11:16 AM

However, RedsZone has some radio talent of its own ...

Maybe, but I am shocked at the limited knowledge/recall the guys seems to have on baseball related matters for being an insider. Maybe its because we focus on the Reds and their farm system almost exclusively, and he had a broader focus.

GL

Bob Borkowski
09-06-2009, 10:52 PM
This thread dates back 15 months or so. I think that this season's Extra Innings shows are much improved over last season. Rodgers really does stick to baseball topics in general and mostly to Reds issues.

He does talk very fast so you have to pay attention. However, I think he is a vast improvement over the other guys who've had this gig.

membengal
09-07-2009, 09:04 AM
This thread dates back 15 months or so. I think that this season's Extra Innings shows are much improved over last season. Rodgers really does stick to baseball topics in general and mostly to Reds issues.

He does talk very fast so you have to pay attention. However, I think he is a vast improvement over the other guys who've had this gig.

Low bar.

Joseph
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree, its a low bar. I disagree that he's any better. He's not worse really, but he's certainly not better. He just sounds uncomfortable and unprofessional.

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2009, 01:06 PM
When this thread was first started last year I agreed that Rodgers wasn't that bad. But after hearing him a few more times this season, I think he's actually worse than Tracy Jones. He's very boring and annoying, IMO.

LoganBuck
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
When this thread was first started last year I agreed that Rodgers wasn't that bad. But after hearing him a few more times this season, I think he's actually worse than Tracy Jones. He's very boring and annoying, IMO.

+1

Yachtzee
09-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Since XM got rid of WLW, I haven't heard it this season, but I would say that anyone who actually talks baseball instead of trying to stir the pot and get the banana phone yahoos to call in is an improvement on what WLW has put on in the past.

WVRedsFan
09-08-2009, 12:24 AM
He has some pretty strange opinions (a firm believer in small ball which doesn't sit well with me and though he can criticize the administration, he's mostly on board), but it's his voice that drives me up a wall. He reminds you of that English teacher you had in the 8th grade. He goes on and on and does it so boring that you lose interest. I refuse to listen to him and won't.

Hap
09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
post #47 and no one has yet mentioned Bob Trumpy.

He was obnoxious and opinionated, but that man could certainly talk any sport with anybody.

WVRedsFan
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Mentioning Trumpy brought back some memories of hosts past. I'm having trouble remembering anyone but Trumpy, Fuhrman, Tracy Jones, Paul Daugherty, and the present weekend occupant. Of those, I liked to listen to Trumpy and Daugherty (not talk to them) and detested Andy F., Jones, and Rogers. But who else was there? The guy they have on weekdays is really silly. Such is WLW.

LoganBuck
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Mentioning Trumpy brought back some memories of hosts past. I'm having trouble remembering anyone but Trumpy, Fuhrman, Tracy Jones, Paul Daugherty, and the present weekend occupant. Of those, I liked to listen to Trumpy and Daugherty (not talk to them) and detested Andy F., Jones, and Rogers. But who else was there? The guy they have on weekdays is really silly. Such is WLW.

Alan Cutler did it too, I found him much less annoying than Rogers.

Sea Ray
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
He's horrible. On Friday night he was going on and on why the Reds were so stupid to continue to play Jay Bruce and hardly ever mentioned Willy T. Basically his take was to send Jay Bruce to the minors and play Nix and Gomes.

Now we know why Doc was passed over for the GM job here

Chip R
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
He's horrible. On Friday night he was going on and on why the Reds were so stupid to continue to play Jay Bruce and hardly ever mentioned Willy T. Basically his take was to send Jay Bruce to the minors and play Nix and Gomes.

Now we know why Doc was passed over for the GM job here

Heh.

Heath
09-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I think Dandy Dan Scott of WCCP-FM in Clemson, SC is the MAN to replace Doctor Rodgers.

Except, he'd never give up those Tiger tickets...