PDA

View Full Version : It's not Griffey's fault

Hondo
05-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I have been reviewing the ORG, and have read some posts here in the SD...

I find it amazing everyone blames Junior for the last 8 years of Losing, and this year in paticular...

This team is always missing a piece or 2, and they are always Glaring holes...

Last year it was a Closer- Now we have Cordero... The rest of the Bullpen sucked too and it is still the same... It still needs to lose Fogg and Lincoln, and find someone reliable for the 7-8 Innings...

Also... Right Handed Pop? Catcher? SS? Centerfield?

Ok... No right handed power? The Reds have EE, who is more of a 6-7 Hitter than a 3-4-5 guy... Thankyou. The team has went with Phillips at Cleanup and he is not a Feared 4 hole Man?

Catcher with Bako? Come on, I don't care how this guy handles pitchers, orif he batted .300 the first Month, he will end the season around .230

SS> I still do not like the Gonzalez signing... Waste of Money... Remeber Managment thought that he would improve the pitching staff by bringing much needed Defense... It didn't matter, the pitching was still horrible 3 years ago. 2 years ago, and besides a few guys, still needs improved.

Centerfield? The answer is Jay Bruce, but the team felt compelled to sign Corey Patterson for the Long term success in Cincinnati. That was Dry Humor.

What I am trying to Post here is that Ken Griffey is not the problem. He has very little pieces around him and it is the Ownership over the Years, the Leadership if you will that has not been "Playing" up to PAR.

Griffey took a below Market Value Salary and then defered a bunch of Money to help the Reds be competetive and bring in other Players. Although he was Hurt for A LOT of games... He has never recieved the full commitment of Managment to be succesfull at all...

It is not Griffeys fault, and iif this team hadn't gotton Volquez... they would still probably be around 10 Wins by now. Just think if he was not here? Where would the Team be? So what else has the Front Office done to help this team?

ZERO

NeilHamburger
05-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Old Man Griffey eh, word around these parts is a couple of generations ago he was a good ballplayer.

Back then nickels had pictures of bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say.

05-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Old Man Griffey eh, word around these parts is a couple of generations ago he was a good ballplayer.

Back then nickels had pictures of bees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you'd say.

And I was wearing an onion in my belt loop, because that was the style back then.

jhiller21
05-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Griffey's defense is definitely part of the problem. We're better served moving him to the AL (if possible), and using Bruce in RF.

I'd leave Patterson in CF and bat him 7th, but Dusty won't bat him lower than leadoff...

ChatterRed
05-19-2008, 07:32 AM
I blame Griffey for everything including the economy.

jimbo
05-19-2008, 07:58 AM

I heard he hates dogs and old people too.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2008, 10:08 AM

I've heard that as long as Griffey's AVG is below .250 that Global Warming get's worse and that Gas Prices will jump again the day after he hits # 600.

Trackman20
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
It's the same mentality here in NYC with Alex Rodriguez.

When the Yankees are losing nobody in this town likes him one bit....he's a cancer, he doesn't work hard enough, blah blah blah. It's the mob mentality to jump on the guy making the most money....Period.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2008, 10:43 AM
It's the same mentality here in NYC with Alex Rodriguez.

When the Yankees are losing nobody in this town likes him one bit....he's a cancer, he doesn't work hard enough, blah blah blah. It's the mob mentality to jump on the guy making the most money....Period.

I completely agree with you. To me, A-ROD gets more unjustified blame than anyone I have seen play the game in a long time for some of the smallest stuff imaginable. Everything he does, he gets scrutinized/blamed for. Had he High-Fived that fan like Ramirez did the other night before throwing out that runner, the press would have ripped him a new one for it. Instead with Manny (and I know its "Manny being Manny"), he gets laughed at for it.

I wish he was a Red. Yes, he is overpaid for it, but since he signed that contract, he has won 3 MVP's and his numbers have not dropped at all. The Yankees don't win because they don't have the pitching they used to and they have a bunch of overpaid older veterans taking up roster space....A-Rod not being one of them.

bgwilly31
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Hondo is blind.

And obviously doesnt understand team comroiderary.

Some of griffeys traits.

-Warning track power
-Lazy
-Thinks highly of himself.
-Lazy
-Not fundamental
-selfish
-old-slow-heavy on this team

Hondo
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Hondo is blind.

Some of griffeys traits.

-Warning track power
-Lazy
-Lazy
-Not fundamental
-selfish

I am not Blind, man...

This team is missing significant parts to sustain a competetive team.

Oh and the part about being selfish? He took way less to sign in Cincinnati.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Hondo is blind.

Some of griffeys traits.

-Warning track power
-Lazy
-Lazy
-Not fundamental
-selfish

I think the thing that is clear is that Griffey is winding down in his career. He's basically a 20 year veteran of the game and...for normal people who don't steroid-up...he's just following the normal course of action for ballplayers.

Granted, his injuries and a bit heftier beltline have spead this up a little bit, but he's been special to watch. I wish him the best.

Nuxhall41
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Griffey is not and has not been good for this team. That's not a matematical or scientific conclusion - just my gut instincts.

bigred97
05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
It hasn't always been Griffey's fault over the years, but his days of helping this team are over. He is one of our worst players this year. We need to trade him ASAP and hopefully some team is dumb enough to give us something for him.

ChatterRed
05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't dislike Junior. I actually respect his near 600 HR's that were without steroids. I think that is more than admirable. This has nothing to do with his career up til now, but where his career stands now. I think he has lost quite a bit and this team is in a youth movement.

Personally, I think Junior should hit 3 more HR's and retire. I think he would be smart to do that and I think alot of people would respect him for it. Go out on top, atleast by hitting that significant mark. Everyone will forget that the rest of his season was lousy.

Hondo
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Griffey is going to end this year with 30 Bombs and 90 RBI

Mark me down, and he probably won't be traded...

Someone here is going to say, wrong on Both statements, but i doubt it...

People forget this Bob C is an emotional guy and LOVES, not LIKES Griffey...

So Keeping Junior around is probably what he is going to do...

He didn't Bring Walt Jocketty in here to restart another Fire Sale... I think this team is a buyer rather than a seller...

44Magnum
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I have been reviewing the ORG, and have read some posts here in the SD...

I find it amazing everyone blames Junior for the last 8 years of Losing, and this year in paticular...

This team is always missing a piece or 2, and they are always Glaring holes...

Last year it was a Closer- Now we have Cordero... The rest of the Bullpen sucked too and it is still the same... It still needs to lose Fogg and Lincoln, and find someone reliable for the 7-8 Innings...

Also... Right Handed Pop? Catcher? SS? Centerfield?

Ok... No right handed power? The Reds have EE, who is more of a 6-7 Hitter than a 3-4-5 guy... Thankyou. The team has went with Phillips at Cleanup and he is not a Feared 4 hole Man?

Catcher with Bako? Come on, I don't care how this guy handles pitchers, orif he batted .300 the first Month, he will end the season around .230

SS> I still do not like the Gonzalez signing... Waste of Money... Remeber Managment thought that he would improve the pitching staff by bringing much needed Defense... It didn't matter, the pitching was still horrible 3 years ago. 2 years ago, and besides a few guys, still needs improved.

Centerfield? The answer is Jay Bruce, but the team felt compelled to sign Corey Patterson for the Long term success in Cincinnati. That was Dry Humor.

What I am trying to Post here is that Ken Griffey is not the problem. He has very little pieces around him and it is the Ownership over the Years, the Leadership if you will that has not been "Playing" up to PAR.

Griffey took a below Market Value Salary and then defered a bunch of Money to help the Reds be competetive and bring in other Players. Although he was Hurt for A LOT of games... He has never recieved the full commitment of Managment to be succesfull at all...

It is not Griffeys fault, and iif this team hadn't gotton Volquez... they would still probably be around 10 Wins by now. Just think if he was not here? Where would the Team be? So what else has the Front Office done to help this team?

ZERO

Yes he is!

bigred97
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I hope your right Hondo and he does get on a hot streak and starts hitting because I still like Griffey, but I just don't see it anymore.