PDA

View Full Version : Bengals to cut ties with Thurman

flyer85
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
about time.

Agent: Thurman is out
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

After sticking with Odell Thurman through a two-year NFL suspension, the Bengals will announce by the end of business today that they are waiving the second-year linebacker.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis called Safarrah Lawson, one of Thurmanís Atlanta-based representatives, and told him that the team has cut ties with Thurman, Lawson told The Enquirer this morning.

Thurman was in his native Monticello, Ga., last week to attend his grandmotherís funeral and take care of family matters, Lawson said. Thurmanís parents are dead, and the woman brought up Thurman, Lawson

Thurman missed three voluntary on-field practices. Lawson said Lewis told him that the Bengals needed Thurman in the building, that he wasnít in the building and that they were going in a different direction.

ďThe support he got from the fans, from the people of Cincinnati, from Marvin Lewis and (team president) Mike Brown, this comes as a surprise,Ē Lawson told The Enquirer in a phone interview.

Thurman missed the past two seasons because of a league suspension for repeated violations of its substance abuse policy. He was suspended for all of the 2006 seasons following a September DUI arrest in the East End.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell then extended Thurmanís sentence to an entire season. The league then denied his application for reinstatement last July and said he could re-apply following the 2007 season. Thurman was allowed to begin working out with the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium in January and was reinstated this spring.

The Bengals had no immediate comment on Thurman, public relations director Jack Brennan said.

The Bengals earlier this spring, on April 3, released wide receiver Chris Henry following his fifth arrest in 28 months.

Thurman led the Bengals with 148 total tackles as a rookie in 2005 and tied a franchise rookie record with five interceptions. He started 15 of 16 regular season games and the team's wildcard playoff loss to the Steelers -- which would be the last game he would play in a Bengals uniform.

Hoosier Red
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
If you're going to stick with him for two years, why cut him now though.
He must not have been in the kind of shape they hope'd he'd be in.

flyer85
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
If you're going to stick with him for two years, why cut him now though.
He must not have been in the kind of shape they hope'd he'd be in.reading the article I'm guessing it was missing the three practices. He obviously has a track record of not being able to be counted on.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Stick a fork in another Marvin draft pick.

freestyle55
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Hope that they explain why they did this, because it appears (I could be wrong) that he missed those voluntary sessions because of a family member being on their deathbed (and later actually passing)...seems like a cheap shot...again, I could be wrong...

rotnoid
05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Hope that they explain why they did this, because it appears (I could be wrong) that he missed those voluntary sessions because of a family member being on their deathbed (and later actually passing)...seems like a cheap shot...again, I could be wrong...

Not only is it a cheap shot, it's against the CBA. If that's the reason, and to this point I've seen nothing else as even a possible explanation, they could find themselves in some hotwater shoud Odell choose to pursue this.

NorrisHopper30
05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Surprised, I think it's a bad move.

HeatherC1212
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
There has to be more to this story. I think I'll wait until I hear more information before I decide how I feel about this move. :eek:

Reds Fanatic
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
If he truly did something wrong like Henry I would be for this move but right now it sounds like this all comes down to a dispute over how long he took off for his grandmothter's funeral. The funeral was last Monday and according to Thurman's representative the Bengals wanted him back soon after the funeral. Thurman had still not reported as of today so he was released. Hopefully there is more to this story because if this is true and they got rid of him because they did not like how long he was taking off it seems a really dumb reason to get rid of someone.

GoReds33
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree that it's about time, but they should make a decision and stick to it. If they wait through all of this, what difference does three practices make?

Oxilon
05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
This is too funny. We can speculate all we want but you can't ignore the fact that's he's only played in the NFL one entire season and has sat out the past two seasons. I'm going to go on a limb and say that he wasn't in the best shape and how are you suppose to hurdle over missing out on two NFL seasons when you aren't even in good shape. What a waste.

Looks like we're going to go with a Rivers/Jones/Brooks LB core. Looking at the depth at LB and I'd say we could easily find ourselves in a position like last season.

CrackerJack
05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Odell has missed "several weeks" of OTA's to be with his grandmother. The Bengals were fine with that and asked him to be at the next session after the funeral took place on May 12th. Perfectly reasonable.

They gave him a week post-funeral to show up (today) and he still didn't show.

You would think a guy with his life on the line and 2 years without a job would want to impress coaches and teammates by actually being here.

So good, he's gone, finally, he looked like absolute crap in the 2006 preseason when he was in better shape than he is now.

People really think he'd be better than that after no football for 2 seasons? He's completely unreliable.

As for Brooks, he still isn't healthy, and you wonder if he'll ever get on the field again here as well.

Sure glad they let Landon go FA, don't need proven players here at LB or anything.

This team is shaping up to be pretty weak this year so far.

WMR
05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I predict the Bengals have a 4-12 type season, Marvin gets the ax, and we get back on the crappy coaching carousel for the foreseeable future.

WVRed
05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I predict the Bengals have a 4-12 type season, Marvin gets the ax, and we get back on the crappy coaching carousel for the foreseeable future.

Disagree.

Even if we do have a horrible record, Mike Brown is extremely loyal. Like it or not, Marvin has turned around the Bengals and the team is in better shape than when Coslet or Lebeau ran the team.

I think the hot seat rumors are completely exaggerated. I'm not a fan of Marvin, but unless Cowher or possibly Billick showed an interest in coming to Cincinnati, I don't see Marvin going anywhere.

Redhook
05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Even if we do have a horrible record, Mike Brown is extremely loyal. Like it or not, Marvin has turned around the Bengals and the team is in better shape than when Coslet or Lebeau ran the team.

This town owes Marvin a lot of gratitude for turning the franchise around. I will never forget that.

But, the honeymoon is over. He has to be held accountable for the current roster and the mistakes in drafting. I doubt he's going anywhere, but I don't think he should be given a free pass for much longer from Mike Brown.

I think the hot seat rumors are completely exaggerated. I'm not a fan of Marvin, but unless Cowher or possibly Billick showed an interest in coming to Cincinnati, I don't see Marvin going anywhere.

Which stinks. Marvin is not a good head football coach. He's a good guy and could be a great assistant coach or GM, but he should not be the leader of an NFL team. I'm ready for a stronger-willed guy taking over the team. I doubt it'll happen, but I'm ready for a change.....again.

Yachtzee
05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Odell has missed "several weeks" of OTA's to be with his grandmother. The Bengals were fine with that and asked him to be at the next session after the funeral took place on May 12th. Perfectly reasonable.

They gave him a week post-funeral to show up (today) and he still didn't show.

You would think a guy with his life on the line and 2 years without a job would want to impress coaches and teammates by actually being here.

That's the read I got. He was given time off, but the Bengals wanted to keep a tight leash on him based on past experience. IIRC, he didn't fare so well the last time he was in Georgia around the time he was under consideration for reinstatement. Regardless of his reasoning, I'm sure the Bengals felt that he could wrap up any business he had to take care of down there in the week after the funeral.

Kingspoint
05-25-2008, 07:32 PM
So, why isn't Deltha O'Neal being punished for missing OTA's and learning the new Defense?

Oxilon
05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
He wasn't on a short leash like Thurman was?

camisadelgolf
05-26-2008, 05:24 PM
So, why isn't Deltha O'Neal being punished for missing OTA's and learning the new Defense?

You're not allowed to receive official punishment for missing OTAs. O'Neal's had one foot out the door for a long time, and there is absolutely no depth behind him, so I don't think he's too motivated anyway.

sonny
06-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm suprised we haven't seen other teams take a flyer on this guy.

Dallas? Oakland? Buehler?

camisadelgolf
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6821

Thurman faces NFL suspension

BY GEOFF HOBSON
June 2, 2008
RSS

Posted: 6:35 p.m.

According to SI.com, former Bengals middle linebacker Odell Thurman has violated the league's substance abuse policy and faces an indefinite suspension.

SI's Jim Trotter said Thurman has not visited with any NFL teams. Thurman last played with the Bengals in 2005 before he missed the last two years for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The Bengals released Thurman on May 19.

sonny
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
What a butthead.

Redhook
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Someday Chris Henry and Odell Thurman will realize how much they wasted. And they'll wish they could be 22 again with a bright future in their hands.

Oh, who am I kidding? They're not bright enough to know how much they've thrown away. They're raising stupidity up to epic levels.

wally post
06-03-2008, 01:28 AM
AWful news. I'm so sorry for these guys -

freestyle55
06-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I'll give the Bengals credit for their move, as at first I thought it was questionable and appeared to be punitive for taking a few extra days off after the death of the grandmother who raised him, but seriously, they couldn't at least let us know, "look, we've got a REALLY good reason for this"...

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know if the Bengals knew he were to be suspended indefinitely before releasing him?

TeamSelig
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow. I feel bad for wanting this, but something in me just wants those guys to do some hard time for many years.

Redhook
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Wow. I feel bad for wanting this, but something in me just wants those guys to do some hard time for many years.

Oh, they'll be doing hard time all right. When they're flipping burgers at McDonald's in a few years when they should be all set.

Tony Cloninger
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
That ended being one heck of a draft.

In 1974 the Steelers drafted Jack Lambert...Lynn Swann...John Stallworth....Mike Webster.....Loren Towes..... I think the Bengals draft was the 1000% opposite of this one. It did help them go to the playoffs....but I always thought deals with the devil meant you got to win the Super Bowl...or make at least a 5 year run at the playoffs?

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.wlwt.com/sports/16857915/detail.html

Here we go again

CTA513
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM

Here we go again

Both Thurman and Henry will never learn.

SeeinRed
07-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Both Thurman and Henry will never learn.

And its really a shame. I had held out hope for Thurman before this year. The whole NFL, not just the bengals, has a pretty big problem right now, and it isn't steroids. I remember hearing that rappers created the lifestyle and the NBA players lived it. Looks like the NFL is the new NBA, which again is a shame. The NFL has a very good product, but who wants to promote the lifestyles of some of the scum in the NFL?

Highlifeman21
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Here we go again

Line jumping is not a sport.

The guy that got punched should have known that. Duh.