PDA

View Full Version : Cubs-Astros ESPN Game Analyst

RedsManRick
05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
I just turned on this game. I don't know who the analyst is, but he's just been excellent. He talked a bit about the mechanics of Soriano's swing, touching on the role of plate discipline, the importance of kinetic synchronization (power coming from torque rather than strength), and how keeping one's hands in towards the body keeps the bat accelerating through the zone. It was so enjoyable to hear actual analysis instead of platitude after platitude. Great stuff.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I believe it's Orel Hershiser.

Screwball
05-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Yep. He was also going through all the different pitches (4-seamer, slider, change-up, etc.) and showing the grips used to throw them, as well as explaining how they produce the movement they do. It was very enjoyable, which is the norm when Hersheiser is the analyst for a game.

Buckeye33
05-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Hershiser has been doing the pitching analysis, but it's surprisingly Steve Phillips who has been breaking down all the hitters swings.

*BaseClogger*
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Orel just said a stolen base was an unnessary risk in front of Berkman and the middle of the order! :thumbup:

SMcGavin
05-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Orel just said a stolen base was an unnessary risk in front of Berkman and the middle of the order! :thumbup:

And Orel played the game. A former elite player with any kind of basic understanding of how runs are scored... my dream manager.

smith288
05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
And Orel played the game. A former elite player with any kind of basic understanding of how runs are scored... my dream manager.
I think he likes his cushy armchair job...and I dont blame him. Its like politics, only the smart people stay out of managing.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Orel Hershiser. Proud alum of Bowling Green University.

redsrule2500
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Whoever it was I don't agree with their constant criticism of the hill in CF and lack of MLB Replay.

Team Clark
05-20-2008, 12:39 AM

In a heartbeat I would have him on the bench with a lineup card. Pay him whatever he needs and start from there.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Hershiser is great as a baseball analyst. I've noticed it many times myself. He almost doesn't fit with some of those clowns at ESPN like Steve Phillips (but they do have a couple guys who know the game very well like Gammons and Kurkjian, even if Kurkjian sounds like a 4-year-old girl when he gets excited and never criticizes anyone). Hershiser is top drawer.

Blitz Dorsey
05-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Whoever it was I don't agree with their constant criticism of the hill in CF and lack of MLB Replay.

I like the hill like you do. However, baseball definitely needs replay. At least for HRs only. Unlike football, it won't take long when a "play" is under review. In baseball, you can tell pretty quickly if the ball was fair or not with a replay (like Delgado's HR off Wang on Sunday Night Baseball that should have been a HR -- it hit the foul pole -- but was eventually ruled foul even after the original call was correct that it was a HR). Baseball definitely needs replay on certain calls. And it won't be like football where they take 5 minutes trying to figure out if the receiver moved the ball a half-centimeter as he was falling out of bounds and if both his feel grazed the top of the FieldTurf, then have to figure out the correct field position, etc.

Baseball needs replay on HR calls only. It's stupid not to have it. They can tell right away if they screwed the call up or not and we'd be right back on our way. As is, they still huddle for several seconds, then have to explain the call to both managers, then get chewed out by one of the managers. Replay would be excellent.

Hollcat
05-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Hershiser is great as a baseball analyst. I've noticed it many times myself. He almost doesn't fit with some of those clowns at ESPN like Steve Phillips (but they do have a couple guys who know the game very well like Gammons and Kurkjian, even if Kurkjian sounds like a 4-year-old girl when he gets excited and never criticizes anyone). Hershiser is top drawer.

If you don't include Joe Morgan in there with the other Clowns you must have missed the Jewel he put out on Sunday night. Basically said that a sinker ball pitcher has an advantage because the batter only sees the top half of the ball where as a pitch that is up allows the batter to see the entire ball. He actually said that the part of the ball the batter sees is smaller on a low pitch than it is on a pitch that is up. I honestly expected them to pull him out of the booth between innings and issue an apology for the stupid comments the viewers were subjected to.

Screwball
05-20-2008, 01:15 PM
If you don't include Joe Morgan in there with the other Clowns you must have missed the Jewel he put out on Sunday night. Basically said that a sinker ball pitcher has an advantage because the batter only sees the top half of the ball where as a pitch that is up allows the batter to see the entire ball. He actually said that the part of the ball the batter sees is smaller on a low pitch than it is on a pitch that is up. I honestly expected them to pull him out of the booth between innings and issue an apology for the stupid comments the viewers were subjected to.

Anybody catch Joe's gaffe while talking about bare-handed plays? For anyone that missed it, put the words "job", "bare" and "hand" in the naughtiest combination possible, and you get what Joe said during a live broadcast of a Red Sox game.

I don't think I've ever laughed that hard while watching a baseball game before. :D

OldXOhio
05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
In a heartbeat I would have him on the bench with a lineup card. Pay him whatever he needs and start from there.

TC perhaps you're best able to answer this question: why isn't Hershiser someone's bench or pitching coach?

WebScorpion
05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
TC perhaps you're best able to answer this question: why isn't Hershiser someone's bench or pitching coach?

I seem to recall that he was someone's pitching coach. Rangers, I think. I also think he's been offered managerial positions. I think he's an analyst by choice. You never know though...he might get the bug and want to try his hand some day. I think he'd be great.

Matt700wlw
05-21-2008, 04:04 PM

As am I!

I didn't know he was....how'd I miss that?

Chip R
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM

As am I!

I didn't know he was....how'd I miss that?

Good to see one of you has made something of themselves. :p:

blumj
05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I seem to recall that he was someone's pitching coach. Rangers, I think. I also think he's been offered managerial positions. I think he's an analyst by choice. You never know though...he might get the bug and want to try his hand some day. I think he'd be great.
Yes, he was the Rangers pitching coach for a while, and I remember rumors that he was going to manage the Dodgers at one point, but it didn't happen. I don't remember why. Maybe it was when Depodesta was still GM, and they fired him before he could hire Orel?