PDA

View Full Version : Reds arch rival?

BoCcc2832
05-20-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm listening to George and Chris talking to Tommy Lasorda about the old rivalry between the Dodgers and the Reds back in the seventies. For me, who never experienced the seventies, I cannot appreciate what Tommy said. But it makes me think. Who, if any team, is the Reds' main rival? Is it Pittsburgh, because they are the closest and the Bengals and the Steelers are rivals? Is it the Cubs because Cubs fans are the most annoying in the world? Or is it the Indians, who we play all of six games of the year? You tell me. I have no answer.

durl
05-20-2008, 08:52 AM
My first reaction is to say that you need a "No Main Rival" option. I can't think of any rivalry today that matches the Reds/Dodgers of the 70s.

podgejeff_
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
To maintain a lasting rivalry you need a couple of things out of these:

a)close proximity
b)drama between the teams
c)at least one of the two teams has to be moderately successful

I'd say our closest rival is the Cubs, but it's a one-sided rivalry (do Cubs fans really care about us)? We'd have to be moderately successful before any other team's fanbase actively hates us. I'd like a rivalry with the Pirates personally (proximity, history, football rivalry, I know Pirates fans).

bounty37h
05-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I dont think we have been good enough for too long to even have a true rival anymore. If I had to pick, I would say Houston lately, as we have battled for middle of the division mediocrity for several years now.

UC_Ken
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I dont think we have been good enough for too long to even have a true rival anymore. If I had to pick, I would say Houston lately, as we have battled for middle of the division mediocrity for several years now.

I agree totally that we don't have one now and the closest thing we've had is Houston. They're the only team in the division we've really had a pennant race against plus we were also old NL West teams. In '94, '95, and '99 they we battled it out with them. And since then we haven't be relevant enough to have a true rival.

nineworldseries
05-20-2008, 03:02 PM
The Cubs are every team's arch rival. Lord I hate them so much.

goreds2
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I can't think of any rivalry today that matches the Reds/Dodgers of the 70s.

Agreed. Every game seemed like a playoff game against them back then.

BLEEDS
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
NOTHING will compare, ever, to the Reds-Dodgers rivalry. NOTHING. EVER.

Cubs? They're just annoying.
Cardinals? PFFFttt...

It all changes when they went to the 3 divisions. Atlanta was a bit of a tug in 90's there for a bit, but we got HOSED in the realignment when it comes to rivalries. We also got the ONLY division with 6 teams - does that make sense?!?!? And why does the AL only have 14 teams and the NL 16?!? Because Milwaukee HAD to be in the NL huh, so Bud Selig wouldn't have to pay for a DH anymore, eh?!?! hmmmm....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Hondo
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I would say the Heated Tampa Bay - Cincinnati rivalry will be one that will never ever be forgotten

NastyBoy
05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Definitely the cubs... especially with their fans.

reds2221
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Cubs? They're just annoying.
Cardinals? PFFFttt...

It all changes when they went to the 3 divisions. Atlanta was a bit of a tug in 90's there for a bit, but we got HOSED in the realignment when it comes to rivalries. We also got the ONLY division with 6 teams - does that make sense?!?!? And why does the AL only have 14 teams and the NL 16?!? Because Milwaukee HAD to be in the NL huh, so Bud Selig wouldn't have to pay for a DH anymore, eh?!?! hmmmm....

PEACE

-BLEEDS

the reason that they are uneven is so that every team can play every day without having at least one team not playing every day.

GoReds33
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I still think it's the Indians. Granted they are in the state, but more people showed up for that series than any other this year.

Hondo
05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I hate the Braves... After the Reds won the World Series, and being in the West Division with Atlanta....

I HATED the Braves... And Considering Tom Glaivines like 22-1 Record in Cinncinnati...

Da' BRAVES

NarrowStairs
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
To be arch rivals, I think both teams have to consider one another their main rival.

Cubs: main rival Cards.
Cards: main rival Cubs
Pirates: ?
Indians: Don't play often enough
Astros: No
Milwaukee: No. No history with the Brewers.

jmac
05-22-2008, 12:40 AM

Agreed 100 %.
Top two teams in same division. Both winning ballclubs.
Baker,Sutto,Garvey,Cey etc vs Bench,Rose, Foster,Griffey etc.
For those who missed it, this was something special.

Slyder
05-22-2008, 12:42 AM
When we suck like this its hard to say anyone is a rival because we can't beat anyone away from GAB.

redsfanmia
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I say its Pittsburgh because we fight them for last place every season. I don't think the Reds have rival anymore, they don't fight with anyone, they don't win and they don't talk trash.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I'd have to say the Dodgers. While I still hate their guts, I was really upset when they realigned and moved them out of the Reds division. Heck, I hated it when they went to 3 divisions period.

The only "arch rival" that the Reds can have simply MUST come from this group IMO.

Atlanta
Houston
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Fransisco

I miss that group. *sigh*

gedred69
05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Being a budding geezer, I agree everything else pales in comparison to the Reds/Dodgers of the 70's. But as others have noted, the Cubbies are a reasonable substitute just because of their annoying, despicable, obnoxious fans. It is also true,--as someone else stated--- that they are the rival of everyone, as I have talked at length to people from StL, and Milwaukee when they come to town, and they hate the Cubs and their fans as much as I do. I've been to games a lot of places, even when the Reds aren't playing, and never encountered anybody as obnoxious as Cub fans en masse.