PDA

View Full Version : Stolen from OnBaseMachine

Redskinalum02
05-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Since I can't respond in the other forum, I figured I would here. Here was OBM's question:

Pitcher A:

51.2 IP, 49 H, 12 HR, 13 BB/53 K, 1.20 WHIP, 5.75 ERA

Pitcher B:

60 IP, 52 H, 11 HR, 15 BB/57 K, 1.12 WHIP, 3.30 ERA

Can anyone guess who those two pitchers are and then I'll tell you what the point of my post is.

-----------end of OBM's post---------------

A: Cueto
B: Santana

LOB%:
Cueto: 58.2%
Santana: 83.7%

BABIP:
Cueto: .306
Santana: .266

Cueto: Fly - 43.2%, Ground Ball - 34.1%, LD - 22.7%
Santana: Fly - 38.1%, Ground Ball - 44.2%, LD - 17.7%

HR's/9: Cueto - 1.77, Santana - 1.38

Cueto:
Runners On - 17IP, 9.53 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, .338 BAA
RISP - 6.2 IP, 18.90 ERA, 2.25 WHIP, .438 BAA
RISP (2 Outs) - 4 IP, 31.50 ERA, 1.75 WHIP, .333 BAA

Santana:
Runners On - 2.66 ERA, .93 WHIP, .200 BAA

It seems as though Cueto either can't pitch from the stretch or loses his cool...both of which can be corrected.

BLEEDS
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't know if it has as much to do with "pitching from the stretch" as it does with being consistent. Seems Cueto can roll for 3-4-5 innings, but tends to give up big innings, and the majority of them late. Couple that with a number of 1-2-3 innings, and his overall numbers are comparable.

Part of being a rookie and hitting a wall at times. Johan probably gives up a hit here and there, but stays out of the big innings.

Just my guess, as I haven't looked into the numbers at all.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

tommycash
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it has a lot to do with him being a rookie. A lot of great pitchers have some trouble their first (and sometimes second) year. John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Roy Halladay all come to mind. Even Santana had a bad ERA in 2000 and 2001. I think those other numbers, aside from ERA, show that Cueto will be an ace. As he gets experience, those RISP numbers will come down.

ChatterRed
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree. Sometimes I think he loses focus when things are going along well. Honestly, his biggest problem is leaving the ball up to high and giving up HR's.

I definitely agree that he will be a stud once he gets through his rookie training.

Newman4
05-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Santana's OPS against is .714 and Cueto .800. So, JC is getting hit a little harder.

A few things I noticed about Santana:

1.) Hasn't given up over 4 ER in any start.
2.) Has pitched 6+ innings in every start except for one 5 2/3 IP start

Says a lot about consistency throughout a ballgame. Santana, as previously mentioned, "spaces out" the hits, walks, Ks, etc. Cueto, at this point, does not. An example would be his last start. No hitter through 5 IP and untouchable. Then one big inning and his start looks less than impressive. A few theories:

1.) Cueto's overall numbers will likely revert back to what is expected based on his secondary stats with experience.

2.) Dusty needs to put him in a position to succeed and build confidence. When he starts to have trouble get Dick Pole out to the mound for a "timeout" and then if needed pull him when he starts to get unglued.

Just my .02

BLEEDS
05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
2.) Dusty needs to put him in a position to succeed and build confidence. When he starts to have trouble get Dick Pole out to the mound for a "timeout" and then if needed pull him when he starts to get unglued.

Agreed. However, that would be the polar opposite of what he's done all his career. Normally the mantra is, "pitch him till his arm falls off", then you know he's ready to come out...

I must say though, he actually did impress me early when pulling the young guys earlier in the season, before they got to 100 pitches. Now, he needs to learn to pull them when the SITUATION arises, not solely on pitches.

I won't hold my breath though, got dibs on waiting for him to put out an optimal lineup card first...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

NastyBoy
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
It seems as though Cueto either can't pitch from the stretch or loses his cool...both of which can be corrected.

I was watching the home feed for a road game and one of the announcers made the same about not pitching as well from the stretch.

DTCromer
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Cueto seems to get emotional when bad things happen. He's not Zambrano-esque, but you can tell by his body language he gets frustrated out there.

He's still young so I'm definitely not concerned. Now, if he's like this 2-3 years down the road, then I'd be a bit frustrated myself by the lack of emotional development.