PDA

View Full Version : Does it drive you crazy when Griffey doesn't bunt when he leads off?

adampad
05-20-2008, 04:03 PM
I just don't get it. Why doesn't he take the free base? Its not like he is knocking down the walls anymore. Its so frustrating to see him pound hard hit ground balls into the shift.

goreds2
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
I think he did try it on Sunday.

Orodle
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Yes it drive me crazy every time he doesnt bunt and then acts as if hes gunna bunt.

adampad
05-20-2008, 04:12 PM
He may have tried on one pitch, but then continued to swing away. The shift didn't change because he tried to lay one down. And he keep running out of the box when trying to bunt, for no good reason. Maybe he tried the old "try to bunt then hit one out" strategy that so many Reds players have been using this year.

levydl
05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
He could get a double if he was able to hit it to left field with that shift on.

bounty37h
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I just don't get it. Why doesn't he take the free base? Its not like he is knocking down the walls anymore. Its so frustrating to see him pound hard hit ground balls into the shift.

He gets a free base if he leads off bunting? When did that happen :)? Maybe he doesnt lead off bunting cause his old legs cant get down the line in time to possibly beat out a bunt, why would you want to just give away the first out like that (yeah yeah, I know, he is practically giving outs away swinging too)? I have to be misunderstanding your question.

Orodle
05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
bounty, the 3rd baseman plays the SS position when Jr is at bat with no runners on. He could square and push the ball down the line and trot to first base. Hes old and has lost a step but is still not considered slow.

tommycash
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
But that is only if the ball is out of reach of the pitcher and catcher. He would have to get a good pitch to do that. And if the pitcher can get to the ball, Griff has no chance.

Hondo
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Griffey isn't on the Roster to hit bunt singles anyway... who cares...

Someone is going to say something like, " well he can't get a hit anyway else so ya ya ya de ya ya ya "

But save it... :cool:

Handofdeath
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Did this bunting post somehow float over from an old Mariners board from 1995?

tommycash
05-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I would think the argument would be why doesn't he, Dunn, and anyone else who teams use the shift on, hit the ball the other way. But when it comes to sports and physics; hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do. I just say get hits and drive runs in (I don't care where you hit them). Dunn is starting to do that this year, while Griffey is not. If Griffey were hitting, this thread would not have been started.

CWRed
05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Am I really replying to this post? Nah. Silly

adampad
05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
He could get a double if he was able to hit it to left field with that shift on.

I agree.

Someone is going to say something like, " well he can't get a hit anyway else so ya ya ya de ya ya ya "

But save it...

Why is he on the roster? IMO players should be on the roster to help win games. Getting on base by bunting every at bat would be much more helpful than hitting 30 homers a year.

Am I really replying to this post? Nah. Silly

Please enlighten me.

Hondo
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
I agree.

Why is he on the roster? IMO players should be on the roster to help win games. Getting on base by bunting every at bat would be much more helpful than hitting 30 homers a year.

Please enlighten me.

I understand players are on the Roster to win games...

But Griffey isn't Willie Wilson or Otis Nixon... Guys that made a living off of bunt singles...

This post is ridiculous

adampad
05-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I understand players are on the Roster to win games...

But Griffey isn't Willie Wilson or Otis Nixon... Guys that made a living off of bunt singles...

This post is ridiculous

Whats your point? Why is this ridiculous? I want someone to prove that bunting would be a bad idea. If it is such a bad idea do you get upset when Jr. does lay one down? How about when he singles with no one on? Is that bad too?

Do you agree Griffey could lay down a bunt for a hit at least say 70% if he wanted to? If so don't you think that would help the team more than his current approach. Griffey made his living hitting during the prime of his career. That also happened to be when teams DIDNT shift against him. They adapted. So should Jr. Maybe if he layed down a bunch they would take the shift off and hit balls between the first and second baseman again.

Hondo
05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Does David Ortiz bunt when the shift is on? Did Barry Bonds?

adampad
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
But this is not the point. I don't watch Ortiz or the retired Barry Bonds every night, but if I did and thought it would help the team to bunt then I would be all for it. I would love to hear the explanation from Jr. as to why he doesn't bunt more. I love Jr. I do. But swinging away in certain situations seems foolish to me, when the team seems to be all but giving you a base.

Jack Burton
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
A couple attempts here and there wouldn't hurt. Also, you'd think he'd learn how to go oppo after all these years. Hit 'em where they ain't.

Orodle
05-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Does David Ortiz bunt when the shift is on? Did Barry Bonds?

If Griffey was hitting like Ortiz or Bonds no one would say a thing, but hes not and hasnt since being a Red.

Hondo
05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
If Griffey was hitting like Ortiz or Bonds no one would say a thing, but hes not and hasnt since being a Red.

Griffey had more Homers and RBI than Bonds did last year or the year beofre and they were still doing the Shift to Bonds...

Even though Bonds Drew 120 Walks... The Point is... Griffey will still end up with 30 HR 90 RBI this year....

Pencil it in.

levydl
05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Griffey had more Homers and RBI than Bonds did last year or the year beofre and they were still doing the Shift to Bonds...

Even though Bonds Drew 120 Walks... The Point is... Griffey will still end up with 30 HR 90 RBI this year....

Pencil it in.

Do you really want to compare Bonds last year (at age 42) with Griffey last year (at age 37)? It's really not close.

In the right situation, Griffey should bunt and take the free base (he's done it before this year). He should also try to slap the ball the other way. I've seen Griffey spray the ball all around in BP. He can put the ball anywhere with that swing. He'd be almost ensured a double.

Hondo
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
If you want him to hit the ball toward left field, thats fine... But to argue that he should be laying bunts down the left baseline is not going anywhere...

And yes I was comparing them. I also compared David Ortiz also with the shift...

tommycash
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Do you really want to compare Bonds last year (at age 42) with Griffey last year (at age 37)? It's really not close.

In the right situation, Griffey should bunt and take the free base (he's done it before this year). He should also try to slap the ball the other way. I've seen Griffey spray the ball all around in BP. He can put the ball anywhere with that swing. He'd be almost ensured a double.

I would like to if Griffey had taken steroids and made himself at 30 year old in a 37 year old body.

tigh24
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
There are several times that both Griffey and Dunn could easily lay a bunt down the 3rd base line for a base hit. A few times of this and other teams would start having to respect the left side of the field.

levydl
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I would like to if Griffey had taken steroids and made himself at 30 year old in a 37 year old body.

I agree, though it's wholly beside the point.

levydl
05-21-2008, 04:57 PM
If you want him to hit the ball toward left field, thats fine... But to argue that he should be laying bunts down the left baseline is not going anywhere...

And yes I was comparing them. I also compared David Ortiz also with the shift...

Why isn't it going anywhere? You haven't explained that. Leading off an inning down multiple runs, say, why not just bunt and almost assuredly get on base?

Hondo
05-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Why isn't it going anywhere? You haven't explained that. Leading off an inning down multiple runs, say, why not just bunt and almost assuredly get on base?

Ok, I guess if you want to take the chance of him getting hurt running out bunts, then I am fine with that...

Logically, you want Ken Griffey Jr. to swing away.

levydl
05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok, I guess if you want to take the chance of him getting hurt running out bunts, then I am fine with that...

He wouldn't have to run any harder to first on a bunt with the shift on than he ever does. Did you see Dunn's check-swing to the left side last night? He got a double out of it and it didn't leave the infield. There is literally no one on that side. In fact, Griffey's already laid one down this year and trotted to first.

tommycash
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree, though it's wholly beside the point.

Which is why it is tough for me to even bring Bonds into any comparisons. If Griffey had done what Bonds did (steroids) Griffey would be known (at least stat wise) as the HR king, among many other things.

levydl
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Which is why it is tough for me to even bring Bonds into any comparisons. If Griffey had done what Bonds did (steroids) Griffey would be known (at least stat wise) as the HR king, among many other things.

I didn't make the comparison. Someone else said, did Bonds bunt when the shift is on, as if to say if he doesn't than Griffey shouldn't. All I was saying was that if Griffey was hitting like Bonds was, PEDs or not, I wouldn't be calling for him to bunt either.

bgwilly31
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM

Oh wow.
Your not that smart.

were risking griffey getting hurt making him run fast to 1st base! ! !

And this my loyal Fans is why Griffey is a Anchor to this team.

To answer the question YES It ticks me off and has ticked me off for years.

Heres the reason Griffey and dunn for that matter should be bunting every single time with nobody on.

Point #1 why hit into a shift if you dont have to?
Point #2 Laying down a bunt down the left side with a little practice SHOULD BE VERY EASY for a professional ball player. You only have to punch it past the pitcher and your gold.

Point#3After a few games of griff and DUNN doing this every time GUESS WHAT PEOPLE!!!! ? ?
The OPPOSING TEAMS WOULD HAVE TO ADJUST! ! !. Which means no more shift. and its time to swing away.

Its a simple concept and the players are too flipping selfish to do it. Its pathetic.

Lockdwn11
05-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I think most teams would be more that happy with Griffey and Dunn bunting everytime up.Why would they adjust I mean if a guy that hit 30 and a guy that hits 40 hommers a year wants to bunt MOST TEAM WOULD BE HAPPY TO LET THEM.

bgwilly31
05-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I think most teams would be more that happy with Griffey and Dunn bunting everytime up.Why would they adjust I mean if a guy that hit 30 and a guy that hits 40 hommers a year wants to bunt MOST TEAM WOULD BE HAPPY TO LET THEM.

Under this mindset than why wouldnt every team gladely walk them EVERY single time with nobody on?

They dont. and wont. So your theory is null. But thanks for playing.

Lockdwn11
05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Under this mindset than why wouldnt every team gladely walk them EVERY single time with nobody on?

They dont. and wont. So your theory is null. But thanks for playing.

LOL ok. Let me put it to you this way....because they don't get paid Millions to bunt and like I said other teams would welcome it I mean they are daring them to do it now are they not? Why would they walk them everytime up and erase the chance that they would get themselves out.

Lockdwn11
05-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Damn, I guess Griffey should have bunted Freel over in the first tonight right bg?

2-0 Reds but thanks for playing. LMAO

Hondo
05-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh wow.
Your not that smart.

were risking griffey getting hurt making him run fast to 1st base! ! !

And this my loyal Fans is why Griffey is a Anchor to this team.

To answer the question YES It ticks me off and has ticked me off for years.

Heres the reason Griffey and dunn for that matter should be bunting every single time with nobody on.

Point #1 why hit into a shift if you dont have to?
Point #2 Laying down a bunt down the left side with a little practice SHOULD BE VERY EASY for a professional ball player. You only have to punch it past the pitcher and your gold.

Point#3After a few games of griff and DUNN doing this every time GUESS WHAT PEOPLE!!!! ? ?
The OPPOSING TEAMS WOULD HAVE TO ADJUST! ! !. Which means no more shift. and its time to swing away.

Its a simple concept and the players are too flipping selfish to do it. Its pathetic.

I guess I just am not that Smart...

And oh yeah... Lockdwn11

It is too bad Griffey didn't lay down that bunt in the First... Although he wasn't leading off...

My Point is Griffey isn't going to get going if he is bunting to lead off an Inning...

And someone else even said he isn't paid to do that...

bgwilly31
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Why would they walk them everytime up and erase the chance that they would get themselves out.

I didnt say they would walk him. Somebody else did.
Of course they are'nt going to walk him everytime. If they were going to do that why would be having this conversation. The point is getting his ass on base.

Damn, I guess Griffey should have bunted Freel over in the first tonight right bg?

2-0 Reds but thanks for playing. LMAO

harharhar im LMAO over here.

Ummmm i believe were talking about when GRIFFEY LEADS OFF!!!!
But yeah thanks again for trying.

harharhar LMAO

I guess I just am not that Smart...

My Point is Griffey isn't going to get going if he is bunting to lead off an Inning...

And someone else even said he isn't paid to do that...

I can see your point, but its not a very valid one.

Bunting requires a player to "SEE" the ball. Lots of hitting coaches encourage a player to go up and lay down a bunt when they are in a slump. Probably part of the reason YOU HAVE seen griffey occasionally go up and lay down one down the left side. If i recall the times ive seen griffey do that, he has been slumping.

Of course he isnt PAID to lay down bunts everytime he goes up to the plate. Were talking about the times he's up with nobody on here and less than 2 outs.
Griffey is ultimately paid to HELP THIS TEAM WIN GAMES. Him getting on base 85% of time in those situations instead of the current OBP% will help this team do just that.

Lockdwn11
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I didnt say they would walk him. Somebody else did.
Of course they are'nt going to walk him everytime. If they were going to do that why would be having this conversation. The point is getting his ass on base.

harharhar im LMAO over here.

Ummmm i believe were talking about when GRIFFEY LEADS OFF!!!!
But yeah thanks again for trying.

harharhar LMAO

I can see your point, but its not a very valid one.

Bunting requires a player to "SEE" the ball. Lots of hitting coaches encourage a player to go up and lay down a bunt when they are in a slump. Probably part of the reason YOU HAVE seen griffey occasionally go up and lay down one down the left side. If i recall the times ive seen griffey do that, he has been slumping.

Of course he isnt PAID to lay down bunts everytime he goes up to the plate. Were talking about the times he's up with nobody on here and less than 2 outs.
Griffey is ultimately paid to HELP THIS TEAM WIN GAMES. Him getting on base 85% of time in those situations instead of the current OBP% will help this team do just that.

Really BG because here is a quote from you ...

"Key word there is a few times.
If Griffey was so unselfish like you say he would do that just about everytime he came up to the plate. Think about that. Eventually the opposing team would have to adjust. And when they did then swing away.

But thanks for trying griffey lover"

Now , to me it sounds like you want Griffey Bunting well in your own words JUST ABOUT EVERYTIME UP TO THE PLATE .

bgwilly31
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Really BG because here is a quote from you ...

"Key word there is a few times.
If Griffey was so unselfish like you say he would do that just about everytime he came up to the plate. Think about that. Eventually the opposing team would have to adjust. And when they did then swing away.

But thanks for trying griffey lover"

Now , to me it sounds like you want Griffey Bunting well in your own words JUST ABOUT EVERYTIME UP TO THE PLATE .

Nice Hacked together quote of mine you have there. With the way the reds are playing. Just about everytime is correct. Most of the time nobody is on when griffey comes up. But here is an ACTUAL quote from me earlier.

As you can see it explains my concept only works in that situation.

But hey, once again!

Thanks for trying.

Lockdwn11
05-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Nice Hacked together quote of mine you have there. With the way the reds are playing. Just about everytime is correct. Most of the time nobody is on when griffey comes up. But here is an ACTUAL quote from me earlier.

As you can see it explains my concept only works in that situation.

But hey, once again!

Thanks for trying.

LOL Hacked together post.... Well here is the whole post show me where I hacked it together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdwn11
No, I can't say that I did but I have seen Griffey lay a few bunts down to the left side just to get his selfish self on.

Key word there is a few times.

But thanks for trying griffey lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatterRed
Griffey is about to be traded. Take it to the bank.

Oh please say its so!

Like I said IN YOUR OWN WORDS. I don't have to hack together your post to make you look bad.You do that on your own . We will just have to agree that we disagree. I'm done with this have a great day.

bgwilly31
05-24-2008, 03:00 PM
LOL Hacked together post.... Well here is the whole post show me where I hacked it together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdwn11
No, I can't say that I did but I have seen Griffey lay a few bunts down to the left side just to get his selfish self on.

Key word there is a few times.

But thanks for trying griffey lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChatterRed
Griffey is about to be traded. Take it to the bank.

Oh please say its so!

Like I said IN YOUR OWN WORDS. I don't have to hack together your post to make you look bad.You do that on your own . We will just have to agree that we disagree. I'm done with this have a great day.

Your not making anybody look bad.

My post says just about everytime. Whoopidee doo.

Does just about everytime MEAN everytime?> Im not sure what language you speak but using proper english that doesnt mean everytime.
Just about everytime means Everytime except with runners on or 2 outs.

Your an idiot if you dont see this point.

Ever wonder why you dont see college teams or highschool teams playing shifts?

Wanna know why.... Its because in college and highschool you cant be selfish. Your a team. Its not all about me me me! They dont shift in college because if they did, the player would just bunt on everytime.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 03:01 PM
... and the battle continues...

Mark T
05-24-2008, 03:22 PM
If Griffey could hit the opposite way, they wouldn't put the shift on. He's one-dimensional now. That's a real liability.

Lockdwn11
05-24-2008, 06:05 PM
... and the battle continues...

Your not making anybody look bad.

My post says just about everytime. Whoopidee doo.

Does just about everytime MEAN everytime?> Im not sure what language you speak but using proper english that doesnt mean everytime.
Just about everytime means Everytime except with runners on or 2 outs.

Your an idiot if you dont see this point.

Ever wonder why you dont see college teams or highschool teams playing shifts?

Wanna know why.... Its because in college and highschool you cant be selfish. Your a team. Its not all about me me me! They dont shift in college because if they did, the player would just bunt on everytime.

Maybe I would have seen your point if that was the point you was making (not that I agree with it) but it wasn't. The language that I speak, "just about everytime" means just about everytime. Now your telling me just about everytime mean everytime except with runners on or two outs. Maybe you should be more clear on your opinions/language and you wouldn't look like your a schizo.

P.S. What language do you speak were "just about everytime" is defined as everytime except with runners on OR 2 outs? Is that French?

Lockdwn11
05-24-2008, 06:29 PM
NM.