PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis awarded 2012 Super Bowl

DTCromer
05-20-2008, 05:16 PM
As a fellow Hoosier, this is great news. I live very close to Indy and downtown has dramatically changed in the last 20 years. The plans to continue to revamp the city seem great.

Chip R
05-20-2008, 07:05 PM
It's always funny to hear the media complain about when the SB is in a northern city or if they are in a southern city and the weather is bad.

GoReds33
05-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Does anybody think Cincinnati will ever get a Super Bowl? I think that they won't, just because it's not a dome, and it's too cold that time of year.

Unassisted
05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Does anybody think Cincinnati will ever get a Super Bowl? I think that they won't, just because it's not a dome, and it's too cold that time of year.Considering that the NFL waited exactly 3 decades to schedule the Super Bowl in another cold-weather city, my guess is they don't plan to do it again for a while.

KronoRed
05-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Does anybody think Cincinnati will ever get a Super Bowl? I think that they won't, just because it's not a dome, and it's too cold that time of year.

Maybe next stadium, out of every 6 years it'll be in Florida 3 times and domes the other 3.

Chip R
05-20-2008, 08:07 PM

If it were just the weather, Indy would never have got it. Cincy is further south than Indy so it's more likely Cincy would get warmer weather.

Yachtzee
05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
If they're going to schedule Super Bowls in cold weather cities, I say why not have it outdoors. Really the big selling point to having the Super Bowl in a fair weather city is that people can come for the whole week for the weather. Putting it in Indy makes it nice for the game, but you still have to deal with the weather otherwise. So if there, why not Cincinnati? They could have the NFL Experience at the convention center and, once they get the Banks Project built, they'll have a nice entertainment district by the Stadium. Plus, how cool would it be if they had a snow storm during the Super Bowl. The halftime show would be something else.

Chip R
05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
If they're going to schedule Super Bowls in cold weather cities, I say why not have it outdoors. Really the big selling point to having the Super Bowl in a fair weather city is that people can come for the whole week for the weather. Putting it in Indy makes it nice for the game, but you still have to deal with the weather otherwise. So if there, why not Cincinnati? They could have the NFL Experience at the convention center and, once they get the Banks Project built, they'll have a nice entertainment district by the Stadium. Plus, how cool would it be if they had a snow storm during the Super Bowl. The halftime show would be something else.

I think the concept behind having it in a warm weather city is so the game won't be affected by the weather. People are paying big money for Super Bowl tickets and they aren't going to be pleased sitting in freezing weather for 5 hours. Plus having the Banks is not exactly a sure thing.

Yachtzee
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I think the concept behind having it in a warm weather city is so the game won't be affected by the weather. People are paying big money for Super Bowl tickets and they aren't going to be pleased sitting in freezing weather for 5 hours. Plus having the Banks is not exactly a sure thing.

I'll give you the Banks. Even though they've broken ground, there's still plenty of issues that can spring up to cause problems. However, I would say that weather usually makes for a better game rather. Some of the greatest, most memorable games have been played in inclement weather. Meanwhile, the Super Bowl has often suffered from boring games and interesting commercials. I think that people would still pay big money to go. Sure, some of the people who go to see and be seen might not enjoy it as much, but I guarantee you most people would rather be at an exciting, memorable game in bad weather than a boring game in nice weather. In fact I find football to be at its best when it's played in the middle of a snow storm.

redsfanmia
05-20-2008, 11:24 PM
If it were just the weather, Indy would never have got it. Cincy is further south than Indy so it's more likely Cincy would get warmer weather.

Indy regularly host big time events such as the Indy 500, Final Fours, Pan Am games and so on. I am happy the Super Bowl is coming but I worry about what the media will write about our great city when they have 2 weeks to spend here in late January/early Feburary.

macro
05-21-2008, 12:32 AM
If the weather's nice, I may drive up and take in some of the festivities, even though I won't have tickets to the game. It has never been this close to Kentucky before.

AFC Championship game in Cincinnati one week and the Super Bowl in Indy two weeks later. It will be a memorable month.

DTCromer
05-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Indy regularly host big time events such as the Indy 500, Final Fours, Pan Am games and so on. I am happy the Super Bowl is coming but I worry about what the media will write about our great city when they have 2 weeks to spend here in late January/early Feburary.

The media was actually very respectful of Detroit and the weather was crappy, if I recall.

Indy is, by far, a much better looking city than Detroit and much fan-friendly. They announced today that they're going to renovate an IPS (Indianapolis Public School) by throwing 9 million into that project alone. I know they have plenty of other plans for downtown including a plan to create a "Super Bowl Village."

Indy will be very, very ready for the Super Bowl. They should've gotten in last year until Jerry Jones came in at the last second and threw money into the proposal. Everyone thought Indy's was the most impressive bid last year and this year's was even better.

Yachtzee
05-21-2008, 10:28 AM
The media was actually very respectful of Detroit and the weather was crappy, if I recall.

Indy is, by far, a much better looking city than Detroit and much fan-friendly. They announced today that they're going to renovate an IPS (Indianapolis Public School) by throwing 9 million into that project alone. I know they have plenty of other plans for downtown including a plan to create a "Super Bowl Village."

Indy will be very, very ready for the Super Bowl. They should've gotten in last year until Jerry Jones came in at the last second and threw money into the proposal. Everyone thought Indy's was the most impressive bid last year and this year's was even better.

I've been to Indy once for a wedding at the place downtown that was once the train station. Very nice. I think Indy will do a fine job hosting the Super Bowl. I actually think that places like Indy and Cincinnati, if Cincinnati gets the Banks Project complete, would be nice places for the Super Bowl because they have nice, compact downtown areas with convention space for the NFL experience and the possibility for creating an entertainment district downtown. Cleveland will always be a bad place for a Super Bowl, dome or no dome, because the prevailing winds off the lake make spending any more time than you have to downtown in the winter absolute torture. It's one thing to be cold, but Cleveland in February can be cold, wet and windy all at once.

Chip R
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM

That's very true. They have a lot of experience at that sort of thing and Cincy doesn't.

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
That's very true. They have a lot of experience at that sort of thing and Cincy doesn't.

I dont know if you have ever been to our city but we are going to build a "super bowl village" and many walkways that will be indoors for the media so the weather will not be much of a problem. The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice. This is a great thing for our city and I for one am really looking forward to it and the benefits it will bring to our city. Its not IndiaNOplace anymore.

Chip R
05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I dont know if you have ever been to our city but we are going to build a "super bowl village" and many walkways that will be indoors for the media so the weather will not be much of a problem. The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice. This is a great thing for our city and I for one am really looking forward to it and the benefits it will bring to our city. Its not IndiaNOplace anymore.

I've been to Indy several times for one thing or another and I really like it there. I have argued with another Zoner who shall remain nameless that there's much more to do in downtown Indy than Cincy. I haven't been to the NCAA center yet or seen a game at Victory Field but hopefully I'll do that one of these days.

15fan
05-21-2008, 11:56 AM
A couple of years ago, Atlanta was bidding for the 2009 and 2010 games. Miami (2009) and Tampa (2010) won because of "weather concerns".

(There was an ice storm here the last time the game was in town - Rams-Titans, in one of the better Super Bowls in recent years.)

This was right around the time that the 2006 game was being hosted in...Detroit.

(If you're concerned about weather, why the heck would you pick Detroit in early February? I mean, the game is in a domed stadium, but the weather outside for all of the week-long events and logistics pretty much was brutal.)

And as we all remember, 2007 was played in a monsoon in Miami.

Everyone here pretty much thought "karma's a youknowwhat, eh NFL braintrust?"

Don't think the city has any plans to try & land any more Super Bowls in the near future.

Good luck to Indy to pull it off.

And best wishes to all of the poor souls who will be going here and there in single digit temperatures during the game week.

Roy Tucker
05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I've been to Indy several times for one thing or another and I really like it there. I have argued with another Zoner who shall remain nameless that there's much more to do in downtown Indy than Cincy. I haven't been to the NCAA center yet or seen a game at Victory Field but hopefully I'll do that one of these days.

I agree, there are many more things to do in downtown Indy than Cincy.

We've been there several times for the Bands of America Grand Nationals (HS marching band) at the RCA Dome and they always do a bang-up job for that.

Mason HS will be in the "Sound Check" event at the new Lucas Oil Stadium this fall (9/27).

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 12:34 PM

The Vic is great its a small version of GABP if your in town I will treat you to a game there.

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I have been to Cincinnati many times and it seems like its a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. I went down to a Bengal/Colt game a few years ago and we couldnt find anything open to grab a pop and some food.

George Anderson
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
The city leaders are going to build a practice facility on the eastside of Indy for the NFC team and they are going to use it for revitilization of that community and let the public schools use it for games and practice.

This is part of the whole plan that I think is a very bad idea. I would compare that area of Indianapolis to the "over the rhine" area of Cincinnati. Having NFL teams, high profile media types, NFL Execs etc. in that part of our town where crime is incredibly high is just beyond stupid to me.

Chip R
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
The Vic is great its a small version of GABP if your in town I will treat you to a game there.

:thumbup:

I have been to Cincinnati many times and it seems like its a ghost town in the evenings and weekends. I went down to a Bengal/Colt game a few years ago and we couldnt find anything open to grab a pop and some food.

There are a few bars and stuff but nothing really out in the open. I always said that someone could make a lot of money just selling pizza slices out a window on Vine or Walnut or Main between the park and downtown. Otherwise it's all NKY.

chicoruiz
05-21-2008, 01:14 PM
The difference between Indy and Cincinnati in issues like this always seems to me to be that back in the day, when Richard Lugar was Indianapolis mayor, he combined city and county governments into one streamlined unit. Any major undertaking in Cincinnati seems to often get bogged down in squabbles between the City of Cincinnati and Hamilton County. "Unigov" makes it so much easier to get everybody pulling in the same direction.

OesterPoster
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
We usually alternate a family vacation between Cincy, Columbus, and Indy every summer, so this summer is Indy again. We love it. The Children's Museum kicks butt, and while their zoo probably isn't up to Columbus or Cincinnati zoo standards, it's still a pretty good zoo...especially since they have dolphins, and our daughter loves dolphins. We drove right past Victory Field, and I really wanted to stop for the game...but not with toddlers in tow. The stadium looked awesome.

SunDeck
05-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe I'll rent out my house in Bloomington for the weekend.

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
This is part of the whole plan that I think is a very bad idea. I would compare that area of Indianapolis to the "over the rhine" area of Cincinnati. Having NFL teams, high profile media types, NFL Execs etc. in that part of our town where crime is incredibly high is just beyond stupid to me.

I would say the near northside would be the closest to over the rhine but I dont think any part of our city is as bad as over the rhine.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM

That's sort of the point though George, they're going to build the practice facility and hopefully the area as a whole will get a face lift in the next 4 years.
Irvington(just to the east of Tech) has supposedly been on the verge of the up and up since I moved here in 2000 and maybe this will be the necessary extra push.
I certainly don't think that particular sector compares to Over the Rhine.

Chip R
05-21-2008, 04:20 PM

I would think that the people who live in that area may have more to fear from the players than the other way around. ;)

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I would think that the people who live in that area may have more to fear from the players than the other way around. ;)

Are you saying the Bengals are going to be in the 2012 Super Bowl?

Chip R
05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Are you saying the Bengals are going to be in the 2012 Super Bowl?

Let's not get carried away.

George Anderson
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
That's sort of the point though George, they're going to build the practice facility and hopefully the area as a whole will get a face lift in the next 4 years.
Irvington(just to the east of Tech) has supposedly been on the verge of the up and up since I moved here in 2000 and maybe this will be the necessary extra push.
I certainly don't think that particular sector compares to Over the Rhine.

I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.

Hoosier Red
05-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I lived just east of Tech High School not to long ago and trust me it is hardly an area you want to be at night or even day for that matter. I just think it would have been a better idea to have the practice facility put in Fishers, Westfield, Franklin Township or another area where it will be safe for out of towners to go. I am confident that dumping nine million dollars into a football facilty will hardly make a dent into that dismal area of town. Also factor in the potential lousy publicity the city would get should something tragic happen to one of the out of towners that visit that area of town. It just seems foolish that a bunch of do gooders are putting others at risk in the HOPES that they MIGHT revitalize an area of town.

How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.

George Anderson
05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
How many people are going to be at the practice facility at night?

I'm pretty sure there may be some security presence in the immediate area anyway.

I dunno, I think putting the facility in one of the suburbs would kind of defeat the purpose. I can assure you Westfield and Fishers don't need the money.

Dumping nine million dollars into a football field may not revitalize the area, but it more than likely will alleviate much of the cost of outdoor athletics for IPS for the next few years. That money can be redistributed to other useful things. Investment can always have a benefit.

That area isn't safe during the day either.

I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.

redsfanmia
05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
That area isn't safe during the day either.

I don't think its an issue of who needs the money, its an issue of where is the best place to put the facility that will benefit the city as a whole. Nothing potentially bad will happen in the suburbs while you have a huge risk of something bad happening in the Tech area and again all for something that will have little impact on a very poor part of town.

God forbid an out of town reporter gets jumped or shot on the way to the practice facilty. It will be a black eye on the city and something that could hinder us getting other events of that stature in the future, and the only real benefit would be pumping money into an area of town that likely will have little impact.

Maybe I am wrong but I work in that area a few days a week and I really dont think its that bad. I dont think any reporters are going to "get jumped" causing a black eye for the city anyway but I am sure there will be a major IMPD presence there during the Super Bowl week.

Chip R
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
And so it begins

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3406852&sportCat=nfl

Yachtzee
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
And so it begins

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3406852&sportCat=nfl

It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.

improbus
05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.

guttle11
05-24-2008, 12:40 AM
It's always the sportswriters who raise the biggest stink about it. It seemed like they were the only ones supporting the idea by, I think it was Jerry Colangelo, of having a neutral site World Series. They want all major winter sporting events in warm weather locales so that they can take a trip to someplace nice and charge it to their employer. I've come to the conclusion that I don't care where the game is played, as long as the game is interesting. The Pro Bowl is in a nice place and nobody cares because it's not interesting. Hence my notion that having the game outdoors in a cold weather city might not be a bad idea.

Exactly. The 90 million people that make the event so big couldn't care less where the game is played, just that the entire event is entertaining. The Super Bowl didn't become the event it is today because of Miami, or SoCal, or Arizona weather.

I dislike media people as a whole. Stop telling me how to feel.

Yachtzee
05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
No offense to Indy, but if my team goes to the Super Bowl, I would want it to be a huge party. And when I think of partying, I don't think of Indianapolis.

Look, this is the NFL extorting cities into building huge stadia so that they can host a Super Bowl. It's sad but true.

You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy. :)

George Anderson
05-24-2008, 11:59 AM
You should check out Cologne, Germany for Karnival or any northern European city for New Years. Cold weather cities can put on humongous parties if they get the chance. Of course you might want to serve up some Gluhwein (hot mulled wine) to keep everybody warm and happy. :)

Exactly, I am not gonna make everyone thing thay Indianapolis is the "Bourbon Street" of the midwest but If your looking for a party in Indy it won't be hard to find!!!