PDA

View Full Version : Another Josh Hamilton Thread (its worth it)

Grounds_Crew
05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Did you know?
Josh Hamilton drove in his 50th run of the season in Monday night's game, becoming the fastest player in American League history to reach that figure (45 games....he did not play in one game this year). The previous AL record holders (46 games) were Joe DiMaggio and Carl Everett.

Wow...I'm never going to stop wondering "what if" when thinking about this guy. He's my favorite player in the game (Griffey all time favorite). In fact, I like watching him and reading about him the way I did Griffey in the 90's.

Jack Burton
05-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Man, that is one heck of an accomplishment. Congrats to the guy, I'll look forward to seeing him in the All-Star game this year.

smoke6
05-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Hammer is a freak of nature! Too bad his body will never hold up because of his years of substance abuse.:rolleyes:

I would rather have him than ANY of our current OF'ers.

Jack Burton
05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I would rather have him than ANY of our current OF'ers.

That ain't really saying much, but I agree.

HeatherC1212
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Congrats to Josh on that great achievement! I'm so happy for him and I hope he can continue to have a successful year. :)

That said, I'm waiting until I see Jay Bruce up here in the OF before I say I want him back more than any of our other outfielders. ;)

ChatterRed
05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm happy for him. Great achievement.

I'm still in the camp that doesn't think he will either endure physically or be able to stay clean.

I would rather have Volquez, but wish Hamilton the best and hope he can stay clean and healthy, but would not bet money that he can.

GoReds33
05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
I would rather have him than any of our position players. He will be a great player for years to come, and is really cheap. Still, we got a great player out of the trade too.

Oxilon
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd still have Volquez over Hamilton any day of the week. Let's not forget what Volquez has done with the Reds so far (leads the league in ERA, 4th in Ks, and 2 in Ws). Also great pitching is always better than great hitting, from a value perspective. I honestly can't remember the last time a trade benefited both clubs in such a manner. Just imagine if it's Volquez starting the All Star Game against Hamilton -- how would that be irony.

Hondo
05-21-2008, 03:16 PM
The last Trade that worked tis well between clubs has to be Toronto-San Diego back in like 1990: Fred McGriff for Joe Carter & Roberto Alomar

laxtonto
05-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Hamilton is the triple crown leader after this afternoons game. .335, 12 HR, 53 RBIs. Leads all catergories except HR where he is tied.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Can you just picture it...DUEL triple crown winners in one season? Hammy & Berkman? That'd be hilarious. :O)

laxtonto
05-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I wonder when it last was that there had been 2 guys leading in the Triple crown this late in the season. That would be insane.

Boston Red
05-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Even with him, Texas still isn't any good.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
I wonder when it last was that there had been 2 guys leading in the Triple crown this late in the season. That would be insane.

Well, technically there aren't two THIS season. Berkman's second in avg to the insane Chipper Jones' .400+ average.

Slyder
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
The last Trade that worked tis well between clubs has to be Toronto-San Diego back in like 1990: Fred McGriff for Joe Carter & Roberto Alomar

I think that deal worked better for Toronto ;) but thats splitting hairs. LoL.

Congrats to Josh on the great accomplishment, I would love to see it continue (unless he plays us of course).

Chi-Town Red
05-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Even with him, Texas still isn't any good.
you nailed it...nobody will ever really appreciate the guy until he gets to a big market

Orodle
05-22-2008, 08:09 PM
you nailed it...nobody will ever really appreciate the guy until he gets to a big market

With all the Hamilton threads I'm thinking the same about Volquez.

Kingspoint
05-23-2008, 01:42 AM
With all the Hamilton threads I'm thinking the same about Volquez.

We haven't won since Volquez pitched.

Volquez pitches tomorrow.

He's taken over as the staff Ace.

There was a time when Koufax had to take over for Newcombe as their staff Ace.

Jack Burton
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
He's taken over as the staff Ace.

As of right now this is an accurate statement. I think Harang has had some good outings this year but Volquez has been down right dominant. Let's see how he does tonight with the squad on a 4 game losing streak.

Hondo
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
As of right now this is an accurate statement. I think Harang has had some good outings this year but Volquez has been down right dominant. Let's see how he does tonight with the squad on a 4 game losing streak.

EV has got to be the STOPPER, 8 Wins should just about do it, and I am hoping he throws 7 Innings of 2 Hit baseball... Then get taken out of the game...

Kingspoint
05-24-2008, 01:46 AM
EV has got to be the STOPPER, 8 Wins should just about do it, and I am hoping he throws 7 Innings of 2 Hit baseball... Then get taken out of the game...

Volquez did it, holding the Padres to a run.

He needed Dunn to save it for him because of the poor defense and baserunning.

HeatherC1212
05-24-2008, 01:51 AM
The two great plays by Joey Votto, one a great catch of a Ryan Freel crazy throw and the other a great toss over to Affeldt (while he was falling over!) that saved a run, were huge parts of this game too. Dunn's HR was just crushed in that ninth inning. Wow! :eek:

The Reds NEEDED this win tonight. Let's get two more and come home 3-4 from the evil west coast. :)

Kingspoint
05-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Heather, you made me go look at mlb.com and what plays they had on video. They had both Votto plays just to tell you what they thought of them. The only defensive plays that they had, unless you wanted to call the botched squeeze a defensive play. The announcers from the Padres, I assume it was them, were basically calling the REDS' Manager an idiot for calling the squeeze and for something he did when Dunn was batting with 2 men on base earlier.

What a play by Votto to keep the game tied! I want that guy at 1st Base the next 10 years.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Volquez, Votto, Dunn

Now to Build around them... Hmmmm?