PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice.org 2 - anyone use this software?

redsmetz
05-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I've been using Microsoft Works that came with my computer eons ago, but it has some deficiancies particularly working with documents created by Word or with Excel Spreadsheets, etc. My brother was telling me about some free software called OpenOffice.org 2.

Has anyone used this software?

Also, what web design software are folks using? I'm planning on updated (and upgrading) my business website.

westofyou
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I use the open office Thunderbird for my work email/calender

My wifes system is all open source

OS - Ubuntu

Open Office and Mozilla

Nothing of cost on there.

My father uses Open Office on his Vista Box, said he wasn't going to pay for office anymore.

ochre
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Open Office is pretty solid.

I generally just use whatever text editor I have available for web design stuff. I have Ultraedit on most of my windows boxes and I use either gedit, or kate on linux depending on whether, or not, I have the kde libraries installed.

ubuntu is smooth.

RedlegJake
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Open Office is an excellent program suite. I use it all the time. It isn't quite up to par with MS but it's very, very close. Since it's free and MS Office can cost from a couple hundred to 500 bucks it's a terrific deal. It will also open any MS documents or spreadsheets. Another thing is that it is constantly being improved upon as it's open source and collaborative. The entire state of Massachussets uses it exclusively in their offices statewide and so do several large corporations.

westofyou
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM

I generally just use whatever text editor I have available for web design stuff. I have Ultraedit on most of my windows boxes and I use either gedit, or kate on linux depending on whether, or not, I have the kde libraries installed.

ubuntu is smooth.
I use editPad Light to move my text to applications, it's a great tool, blows Notepad away.

RedlegJake
05-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I use editPad Light to move my text to applications, it's a great tool, blows Notepad away.

I use editPad Light, too. Good program. And replace Paint with Paint.net for lots more flexibility and utility.

westofyou
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
I use editPad Light, too. Good program. And replace Paint with Paint.net for lots more flexibility and utility.

I am a Adobe fan, so I haven't used any opensource image tools, though we recommends GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) to clients.

RedlegJake
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
GIMP has lots of power but its very, very different interface and sometimes confusing layout keeps me returning to Paint Shop Pro when I'm doing photo work. I've tried Adobe's Elements, too but I prefer PSP, probably because I've used the last 4 or 5 iterations and I'm used to how it works.

ochre
05-21-2008, 06:53 PM
gimp is pretty cool (and powerful) once you get used to some of its quirks.

Xara LX is a fun little graphics program; it's not really an editor, but you can create some pretty cool stuff pretty easily without much of a learning curve.

cincyinco
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Used Open Office on my old(better) machine before it suffered a HDD crash.

About the only gripe I have/had with it was it did seem to take quite some time to load, more so than most other applications on my machine.

Other than that, its great. Love it. Open Source rawks!

nate
05-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I use Open Office on the PC side of my Mac and it works well. No problems just opening regular (if there is such a thing) MS files.

I also use Gimp under the X11 framework for the Mac and it seems to be good enough for my needs.

redsmetz
05-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks all - I think I may download it tomorrow. On a broadband connection, should it take as long as 40 minutes to download? That surprised me and I canceled the download until I could verify the site better.

cincyinco
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Its a pretty big file suite if I recall. Depending on you transfer rate and theirs and capacity/traffic on the server it could take a while.

Fon Duc Tow
05-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Its worth it though. Strongest release to date.

redsmetz
05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Its a pretty big file suite if I recall. Depending on you transfer rate and theirs and capacity/traffic on the server it could take a while.

I'll probably have to wait to do it next week because I'm only in the office tomorrow a.m. and then I'm heading to Columbus to pick up my son at OSU so we can go to the Rock & Roll HOF on Saturday (some good father/son quality time!).

TRF
05-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I love free. Our campus agreement with MS allows me to have office at home, and I still run Open Office. FF3 browser. I'm still running XP though. I love photoshop too much to switch to GIMP.

westofyou
05-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Funniest commercial...or should I say Ironic is the Mac commercial about Vistas instability... and how it doesn't work.... of course Apple has ALWAYS been really astute in updating their OS and really quick in getting that done as well.

It's their strength...:rolleyes:

Maybe if they spent as much on system development as they do on design and advertising they'd control the world as much as they would like us to believe?

nate
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Funniest commercial...or should I say Ironic is the Mac commercial about Vistas instability... and how it doesn't work.... of course Apple has ALWAYS been really astute in updating their OS and really quick in getting that done as well.

It's their strength...:rolleyes:

Maybe if they spent as much on system development as they do on design and advertising they'd control the world as much as they would like us to believe?

What does that have to do with this thread?

westofyou
05-23-2008, 11:14 AM
What does that have to do with this thread?

An OS is an OS... strip away the advertising for both MS and Apple and they still are OS's vying for market share... meanwhile opensource spends time developing and folks have to find out about it by word of mouth.

Yet we know every song that MS has bought to push a weak product and every joke that Apple has thrown at MS to make them look unhip... it's funny and somewhat related to the search for a manageable solution in a market that pretends there is only 1 or 2.

At least to me it is.

TRF
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
woy are you running photoshop on ubuntu? I know there are hacks to get it to work, but i haven't tried it yet.

ochre
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
woy are you running photoshop on ubuntu? I know there are hacks to get it to work, but i haven't tried it yet.
I think it is his wife that's running ubuntu. I believe woy still runs xp for photoshop.

westofyou
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM

No alas.. I run XP for work, thus all my personal software is WIN based.. my Ubuntu box is pretty sparse and my IMac has even less software on it then that box

aerontg
05-25-2008, 07:25 PM

ubuntu is smooth.

Amen to that, brother! I'm not a Linux expert at all, but I somehow managed to get Ubuntu running, and it has NEVER crashed. Sure, Mozilla somehow crashes and I have to reboot X, but not the operating system. Now, if I could just find a kind soul that can tell me why I am no longer able to print (when I never changed any settings), even though my all-in-one Brother MFC-7220 printer still copies fine.

oneupper
05-26-2008, 11:12 AM
I definitely will try this on my windows box. But...

What's the business model here? How do the Open office people cover costs?

westofyou
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I definitely will try this on my windows box. But...

What's the business model here? How do the Open office people cover costs?

From WIKI

Many business models exist around open source software to provide a 'whole product' to help reduce these risks. The 'whole product' typically includes support, commercial licenses, professional services, training, certification, partner programs, references and use cases. These business models range from 'services only' organizations that do not participate in the development of the software to models where the majority of the software is created by full-time committers that are employed by a central organization. These business models have come into existence recently and their operation is not commonly understood. One model that has been developed to explain this is the Bee Keeper Model

In short here's an example... Shopping Cart software OS Commerce was taken by a group CR LOADED and then shaped into a tool with extras and bugs washed out and then repackaged and sold and supported.