PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff from Fay

schmidty622
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Jocketty's here

Walt Jocketty joined the Reds in the L.A. today. So my first question to him was any significance to showing up now? The short answer: No. He had planned to be on the whole trip, but he had to attend a memorial service in the St. Louis and a funeral in Minneapolis.

He did take a side trip on the way to St. Louis to see Jay Bruce play at Louisville.

"I told him to be patient," Jocketty said. "What he's doing is not going unnoticed. Keep working. He went out and went 2-for-4 with a home run."

I'm saying with prediction that Bruce gets the call when the Reds return home. Again, that's just a hunch.

Jocketty saw left-hander Matt Maloney throw. "He looked very good," Jocketty said.

Daniel Herrera, the little lefty the Reds got in the Josh Hamilton deal, also threw. Herrera was 0.61 ERA and has allowed only eight hits 14 2/3 innings. His out pitch is a screwball.

"Everything is slow," Jocketty said. "But he keeps hitters off balance."

posted by John Fay at 8:09 PM

Bruce up by Monday? I don't see it but i would welcome it with open arms.

ALSO

Minor matters, plus a prediction

You read it here first: Todd Frazier will be in the mix for one of the corner outfield positions next season if the Reds don't sign Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn. Frazier, last year's supplenmental first-round pick, played shortstop at Rutgers. The Reds played him there until his promotion to Sarasota. He's been played four games in the outfield with Sarasota. He's got power. He gets on base. And he hits right-handed. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

posted by John Fay at 5:31 PM

Frazier to join the outfield ranks?

Frazier is currently only hitting .261 and getting on base at a .314 clip in 12 games with Single A Sarasota, but he has 4 homers and a .901 OPS.

ChatterRed
05-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Good move by the Reds moving Frazier to the OF. Scouts say he isn't a good enough SS for the majors, but has a strong arm. Smart move.

Ghosts of 1990
05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I talked to Paul Daugherty on 700 WLW last night about the Bruce thing. He actually ended up calling Fay later on during the show to discuss it. It sounds like it makes sense, and unless we take 3 of 4 in San Diego I'd almost plan on it.

Every day that Patterson goes 0 for 4, we're that much closer to Bruce becoming the CF and Patterson being DFA like he has earned.

smoke6
05-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Frazier next year? WOW! They are taking their sweet time with JB, but Frazier is zooming through the system.

EddieMilner
05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Frazier next year? WOW! They are taking their sweet time with JB, but Frazier is zooming through the system.

Frazier is a bit older prospect, having played college. He played against a hire level of competition prior to be drafted. At the time of being drafted he was more advanced.

Having said that, I really like the idea of an outfield with Bruce and Frazier in it on the corners.

tommycash
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Frazier is a bit older prospect, having played college. He played against a hire level of competition prior to be drafted. At the time of being drafted he was more advanced.

Having said that, I really like the idea of an outfield with Bruce and Frazier in it on the corners.

Frazier just started playing LF for Sarasota, and does look better as an OF. Whether he is more advanced, I don't know. He tore Dayton up, no doubt. But right now, to me, he needs to bring his Sarasota numbers up before we start talking about bringing him up next year. At Dayton he had 112 AB, 7 HR, 20 RBI, .321 AVG, .402 OBP, 1.000 OPS (very good numbers). So far in Sarasota he has had 49 AB, 4 HR, 10 RBI, .245 AVG, .309 OBP, .860 OPS. He looks very promising, but I see him going to AA by the end of the year and spending next year in AAA. Now if he comes on like Adam Dunn in the minors (like Dunn did coming through) I would still like to see him spend all of next year in AAA, unless he happens to get there this year and get plenty of AAA at bats.

Trackman20
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
I just hope the Corey Patterson experiment is over.

THAT GUY CANNOT BE LEADOFF!

BLEEDS
05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Frazier just started playing LF for Sarasota, and does look better as an OF. Whether he is more advanced, I don't know. He tore Dayton up, no doubt. But right now, to me, he needs to bring his Sarasota numbers up before we start talking about bringing him up next year. At Dayton he had 112 AB, 7 HR, 20 RBI, .321 AVG, .402 OBP, 1.000 OPS (very good numbers). So far in Sarasota he has had 49 AB, 4 HR, 10 RBI, .245 AVG, .309 OBP, .860 OPS. He looks very promising, but I see him going to AA by the end of the year and spending next year in AAA. Now if he comes on like Adam Dunn in the minors (like Dunn did coming through) I would still like to see him spend all of next year in AAA, unless he happens to get there this year and get plenty of AAA at bats.

This is a more realistic take.

In MY perfect world, if we were going to fast track someone to the OF, it would be Stubbs. I'd put him in CF, in between Bruce in RF, and an extended Dunn in LF.

Lineup:
1 - Stubbs
2 - Keppinger
3 - Dunn
4 - EE
5 - Bruce
6 - BP
7 - Votto

PEACE

-BLEEDS

tommycash
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
This is a more realistic take.

In MY perfect world, if we were going to fast track someone to the OF, it would be Stubbs. I'd put him in CF, in between Bruce in RF, and an extended Dunn in LF.

Lineup:
1 - Stubbs
2 - Keppinger
3 - Dunn
4 - EE
5 - Bruce
6 - BP
7 - Votto

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I would pick Stubbs right now over Frazier. Especially because he fits our needs for next year more. He is a CF with speed. I think we need to bring Bruce up this year as the CF, and then move him over to RF for next year, and that would open it up for Stubbs in CF. This being a perfect world scenario. Stubbs' numbers in Sarasota right now don't merit him being brought up to AA though. But I do think the argument for the fast track is suited more for Stubbs. I wouldn't be surprised to see our outfield consist of Frazier in LF, Stubbs in CF, and Bruce in RF as early as the 2010 season. I say pick up Dunn for next year.

BLEEDS
05-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I would pick Stubbs right now over Frazier. Especially because he fits our needs for next year more. He is a CF with speed. I think we need to bring Bruce up this year as the CF, and then move him over to RF for next year, and that would open it up for Stubbs in CF. This being a perfect world scenario. Stubbs' numbers in Sarasota right now don't merit him being brought up to AA though. But I do think the argument for the fast track is suited more for Stubbs. I wouldn't be surprised to see our outfield consist of Frazier in LF, Stubbs in CF, and Bruce in RF as early as the 2010 season. I say pick up Dunn for next year.

I agree with all of that except for the last sentence. No way to get Dunn for one year. Not going to happen.

I'd rather put up with Stubbs' offense in MLB than I would CF Patterson. At least he's got an OBP above .300 - actually .350. And, he's stealing bases at a pretty good clip. Again, I could live with it - IFF Dunn and Bruce were manning the corners.

Upgrade our catcher, and this offense is set for 4-5 years IMO. Then, we focus on refining the pitching.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

tommycash
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I agree with all of that except for the last sentence. No way to get Dunn for one year. Not going to happen.

I'd rather put up with Stubbs' offense in MLB than I would CF Patterson. At least he's got an OBP above .300 - actually .350. And, he's stealing bases at a pretty good clip. Again, I could live with it - IFF Dunn and Bruce were manning the corners.

Upgrade our catcher, and this offense is set for 4-5 years IMO. Then, we focus on refining the pitching.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

It wasn't a suggestion that we pick Dunn up for only one year, as I hope he stays with us for a long time. I just think that our OF could be Frazier, Stubbs, and Bruce as early as 2010. I hope it is not, but that could be the earliest we see that trio.

BLEEDS
05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
It wasn't a suggestion that we pick Dunn up for only one year, as I hope he stays with us for a long time. I just think that our OF could be Frazier, Stubbs, and Bruce as early as 2010. I hope it is not, but that could be the earliest we see that trio.
Gotcha!!

However, since everything I WANT to happen with the Reds never seems to happen - like getting a REAL VETERAN Starting Pitcher or a REAL Free Agent Acquisition - I'm not getting my hopes up that they'll get this one right either.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Don't you guys think you're jumping the gun a bit on both Frazier AND Stubbs? Todd's getting his first real work in the OF and he may end up stinking at it. He also needs to prove he can hit better pitching. It's much easier to rake at A ball than it is at AAA. And Stubbs....250 in Billings then .270 at dayton...not that impressive IMO. I need to see some REALLY solid production from Drew in the lower minors before I even consider him for a fast track. I think he's in Sarasota now and hitting about the same as he did last year in Dayton. Defensively he's solid with great speed. But I'd like to see that average back up somewhere close to what it was in college before I pencil him in at the leadoff spot for the Reds.

Let's get Bruce up here first. The rest will fall into place....eventually.

UC_Ken
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Don't you guys think you're jumping the gun a bit on both Frazier AND Stubbs? Todd's getting his first real work in the OF and he may end up stinking at it. He also needs to prove he can hit better pitching. It's much easier to rake at A ball than it is at AAA. And Stubbs....250 in Billings then .270 at dayton...not that impressive IMO.

Frazier could stink in the OF but I'd bet against it. He was a SS in college so he's probably a pretty good athlete and probably has a pretty strong throwing arm. I'd bet on him being a better defensive OF that EE, as some around here have sugested we consider moving EE to left. I agree with you he needs to prove himself at a higher level hitting before he becomes the heir apparent to Jay Bruce as our #1 prospect.

BLEEDS
05-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Why don't we put Phillips at SS, Votto in LF, EE at 1B, Hairston at 3rd, Keppinger in CF, Valentin at 2B, and Freel at Catcher.

THAT would solve ALL of our problems!!

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with that?!?!

Then, promote Belisle to #2, Bailey to #3, Voltar at #4, Roenicke at #5, so Johnny Cueto can take his TRUE spot in the bullpen as long relief!!!

They can start printing the World Series Tickets now!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS