PDA

View Full Version : Are we turning into East Germany

improbus
05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin, Antonio Pettigrew, Tim Montgomery, and many others....
We already have the best facilities and most funding, do we really need to cheat so much?

guttle11
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Turning?

Unassisted
05-22-2008, 11:00 PM
The East Germans doped because of national pride. US athletes do it for the $$$ and the fame.

Yachtzee
05-23-2008, 01:12 AM
In our case, its individual athletes choosing to cheat. In the DDR, the cheating was systematic and involved taking children away from their parents to participate in boarding school-like sports academies and injected them with steroids as part of their training program. The government-sponsored programs were developed not so much for national pride but rather to try to convince their own people that Soviet-style athletic programs could compete with and succeed against the capitalist, individualistic sporting culture of the West.

improbus
05-23-2008, 05:11 PM
In our case, its individual athletes choosing to cheat. In the DDR, the cheating was systematic and involved taking children away from their parents to participate in boarding school-like sports academies and injected them with steroids as part of their training program. The government-sponsored programs were developed not so much for national pride but rather to try to convince their own people that Soviet-style athletic programs could compete with and succeed against the capitalist, individualistic sporting culture of the West.

I completely understand that the USOC isn't injecting athletes with anabolic steroids. It would be crazy and paranoid to think that. However, I am afraid that we are perceived to be cheaters. We have always been quick to judge against others and play the underdog role. I think that perception is completely destroyed.