PDA

View Full Version : Why are we still fans?

schmidty622
05-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Honest question. What about this organization makes you want to root for it?

Nasty_Boy
05-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I see that I'm not the only one that's sick of this crap!

RiSK
05-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I've always been a fan. Honestly, there's no reason for me to stop being a fan now, just to bandwagon on another team.

TheBigLebowski
05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I'll never stop rooting for this team. Fair weather fans have no character. Pick a team and follow them - through the good and the bad. It's sooooo much more satisfying that way..when your team actually wins.

redhawk61
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I am going to continue rooting for this team like I have my whole life...I might just hitch myself a little bit on the TB bandwagon just to get my fix of success so I don't kill myself.

It is a tough time being a Cincinnati sports fan...Go Cyclones!!!

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I'll get frustrated and angry with the way things go but I wont give up on the Reds. I will die a Reds fan.

RiSK
05-23-2008, 12:23 AM
I'll never stop rooting for this team. Fair weather fans have no character. Pick a team and follow them - through the good and the bad. It's sooooo much more satisfying that way..when your team actually wins.

Come on now... (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68474)

Choose a side, my friend.

foxfire123
05-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I sometimes wonder why too. When is it going to be our turn? I feel like such a glutton for punishment, especially when I see teams with worse records pounding on our best pitcher. I get frustrated to the point of tears at times.

Yes, I know there's no crying in baseball, but I'm female, I'm allowed!

captainmorgan07
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
i've been throught many losing seasons with this team and it aint time to quit now. Were gonna win one of these years and have prolonged success with all the young talent we have in the minors and on the club now. It may not be the easiest road to get there but we will get there.

jmac
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM

Sometimes we as fans momentarily say "enough" and "I'm not watching the game tomorrow" etc.
But the real fans thru thick & thin keep coming back.

jmac
05-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Yes, I know there's no crying in baseball, but I'm female, I'm allowed!

Then can you cry a little extra for the one's who arent allowed. :)

schmidty622
05-23-2008, 12:42 AM

But its so much less satisfying when your team doesn't smell the postseason since 1999 and doesn't reach it since 1995.

Im never going to stop being a Reds fan but it's times like these that make me feel almost stupid for being one. Wouldn't it make more sense to be a fan of a winner? Really I mean there are no moral victories in being a fan. All of the F'n Redsox fans don't care about bandwagons, they are just happy that their team is great. What is it about the human psyche that makes us stick to a team that is flat out bad, year in and year out?

mroby85
05-23-2008, 12:54 AM
it's not a choice, it's an addiction.

schmidty622
05-23-2008, 12:55 AM
This thread isn't supposed to be negative.

I think that all fans wonder at times why they are fans of perennial losers. I am just looking for the reasons that individuals on this bored justify being fans of this team. Sometimes it seems so counterintuitive to be a fan of the Reds when 20 or so better options exist.

I for one am a fan because I was raised that way. A Reds fan through think and thin. But in thinking about fandom logically it would seems that the most pleasurable and satisfying way to be a fan would be to follow the team that is winning. And even though that is dismissed as "bandwagoning" I do not think that any bandwagoner would care or feel any less about the fact that their team is successful.

I dunno I’ve been drinking PBR and reading Nietzsche. Maybe that’s my problem.

TheBigLebowski
05-23-2008, 01:00 AM

I think someone else in the thread adequately addressed it. Obviously I am not quitting the Reds if Mike Lincoln still has a job tomorrow. I'm just frustrated as hell right now...as are we all.

I'll be here tomorrow.

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Jay Bruce.... oh wait...

but really: not like this is anything new... I'd have been gone a long time ago. in 2 years we'll make the playoffs and you'll not care about this

Blue
05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
We should have won while the Cubs ownership was only concerned with the bottom line. Now they'll spend like the Red Sox and Yankees and win the division every year.

Kingspoint
05-23-2008, 01:38 AM
We're still fans because Walt Jockety wants to win.

Kingspoint
05-23-2008, 01:39 AM
We're still fans because....

this franchise has been set up to compete 2009 through 2012.

HeatherC1212
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
I can think of a few reasons why I'm still a fan: Harang, Votto, Cueto, Volquez, BPhillips, Keppinger, Encarnacion, Burton, and Bruce (whenever he gets here) :)

will5979
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
The problem is that when I was a kid the Reds weren't this horrible...I'm not used to this! Sure I only witnessed the 1990 World Series, but the Reds were a respectable team year in and year out. Pete Rose led them to 4 straight 2nd place finishes, 90 we won it all, 92 we won 90 ball games, 94-95 we led the division, 99 we won 96 games, but after 2000 it has been pure TORTURE!!! I'm sick of losing, trust me if I were in charge of this team I would hire a manager that would put the fear of the almighty God in these players and when they lose they would be sorry! We need a drill Sgt. type manager, one that the players would be scared to death to look at after a loss! This team is putting the history of this great franchise to shame. Pathetic that at one time we had the most feared team in baseball, now look at us. You would think that the owners would want to honor the BRM by trying its best to create another one. Just look at the Yankees. I know what people are going to say, well then we need a owner with money!

BlastFurnace
05-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Because we are not bandwaggoners. I've been a fan since 1976. It's rough...really rough to watch this team consider .500 a goal to achieve....but, they are my team.

We have some good pieces in place right now though...an owner who wants to win, a solid GM, a good manager (IMO), some young arms (Harang, Cueto, Volquez) that will be around for a while, and some young players coming up. The pieces are falling into place and our time will come.

This team needs to believe it can do it and get that feeling of losing off their minds.

Jack Burton
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
it's not a choice, it's an addiction.

That statement sums it up.
These terrible, losing seasons will make us appreciate success all that much more.

tommycash
05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

I am with you 100% all th way on this one. We've been through worse as Reds fans.